Will Rafa win the Serena Slam? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Rafa win the Serena Slam?

Vamos_Me_Rafa
09-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Since Rafa has won the 2010, French Open - Wimbledon - U.S Open, he now has the rare chance to hold all 4 slams at once, even though it's not in the same calender year, can Rafa complete the Serena Slam by winning the 2011 Australian Open?

Fed Fan
09-14-2010, 07:08 PM
There's a realistic chance. However, if Murray gets his head in gear, Del Potro starts playing well again after his injury lay-off and Djokovic's fitness improves, it will be tough for Nadal.

Manila ESQ
09-14-2010, 07:48 PM
... and if he wins AO, he has a strong chance of making it 5 (RG) or even 6 (W) in a row!

Bilbo
09-14-2010, 08:01 PM
I predict he will make it 6 slams in a row, winning the AO, FO and Wimbledon in 2011

Sophocles
09-14-2010, 08:04 PM
If every half-decent player is out with injury, out of form just coming back from injury, declining, slumping, knocked out early, choking, bending over, or in possession of zero stamina and a serve fucked up by Todd Martin, then yeah, he's got a shot.

Vamos_Me_Rafa
09-14-2010, 08:09 PM
^ Sour grapes.

Sophocles
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
^ Incorrect use of the term.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I will change my name and put my cat in a river if that happened.

guptaji
09-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Normally I give OP the benefit of doubt but there's an EXACT same thread with different wording. To answer your question - probably no. Odds of him winning are 2/1 - which is although better than anyone else's odds but is not great by itself.

star
09-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Since Rafa has won the 2010, French Open - Wimbledon - U.S Open, he now has the rare chance to hold all 4 slams at once, even though it's not in the same calender year, can Rafa complete the Serena Slam by winning the 2011 Australian Open?

Please, this is not the "Serena Slam." It is called the non-calendar year slam and Serena was certainly not the first to hold all four slam titles at the same time albeit not in the same year.

DrJules
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
He is not ugly enough and does not have a large enough arse to call it a Serena slam.

Vamos_Me_Rafa
09-14-2010, 08:55 PM
He is not ugly enough and does not have a large enough arse to call it a Serena slam.

I hear your mom is also a Serena Slam winner.

r2473
09-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Fed came within a few tiebreak points (in two different sets) of holding the "Serena Slam" (Tiger Slam?) after AO 2010.

9 months later, "he should just retire".

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/260432/1794644

vn01
09-14-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't think so. It will be really difficult for Rafa, but not impossible :)

bad gambler
09-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Very possible

SheepleBuster
09-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Let's put it this way. Rafa has not had one tough draw this year. Adam Helfant and ITF have done a magnificent job developing their paper champ into a "legenda." So yes. Another cup cake draw, more attention for the attention who..es at ATP. And if he gets to final and beat a Murray or a tired Federer doing it, why not?

Tutu
09-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Please, this is not the "Serena Slam." It is called the non-calendar year slam and Serena was certainly not the first to hold all four slam titles at the same time albeit not in the same year.
Serena Slam = French Open-Australian Open.

And of course he can do it. Will he? We'll see. Serena herself will be rooting for him, that's for sure.

Mjau!
09-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Let's hope not, but if he does it should always be referred to as "The Serena Slam".

Ivanatis
09-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Serena Slam :spit:

what a dumb name, she lacks the game and level to win the only slam there is, simple as that:shrug:

"Will Rafa win Oz Open 2011"-thread in disguise, and I doubt he will

Filo V.
09-15-2010, 02:39 AM
Maybe. Too early to predict but you certainly cannot count him out.

MIMIC
09-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Possible, but I'm not sure.

TennisLurker
09-15-2010, 05:31 AM

And of course he can do it. Will he? We'll see. Serena herself will be rooting for him, that's for sure.

Graf won a non calendar year Grand Slam that way in 93-94
But then, Serena won it without needing a stabbing

FlameOn
09-15-2010, 07:19 AM
At this stage it looks likely.

chavkev
09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I misread the title at first and thought it said "Will Rafa slam Serena" the answer to that question is probably no. As for the Serena slam? Only health can really derail him at the moment. When Rafa wants something, he usually gets it. His match against Murray at Wimbledon was a good example of this. There were only 10/12 points where he outclassed Murray and they were all the important ones.

Rafa always does enough on the important points to win matches. Mainly by sheer will, it is quite remarkable really.

Topspindoctor
09-15-2010, 10:50 AM
It's much harder to win consecutive slams on ATP than WTA. If Nadal takes AO 2011, his achievement will be better than Serena's.

rafa_maniac
09-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Let's just enjoy the remarkable achievement of the FO-W-USO triple first shall we? First time it's been done in 40 years after all and only time when they've been played on different surfaces.

Infinity
09-15-2010, 02:09 PM
I guess it would be called the Rafa Slam then.

He can, but do not have that great chance.

Sillyrabbit
09-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Serena named his after herself, why shouldn't he name it after himself if he wins it?

Tennisman82
09-15-2010, 02:23 PM
... and if he wins AO, he has a strong chance of making it 5 (RG) or even 6 (W) in a row!

Well, if he wins the Aussie, he's a GOAT contender. If he goes on to win the FO and make it 5 slams in a row that seals the GOAT discussion right there.

AO 2011 is going to be HUGE...

Tennisman82.

Hola Mr. SK
09-15-2010, 02:42 PM
The guy's going to win 5 or 6 in a row,maybe crazy 7 and complete 'Nadal Slam'. Unreal but could happen,wow.

A_Skywalker
09-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Rafa will not only win Serena Slam, but he will win Serena.

emotion
09-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Good chance of it

Allez
09-15-2010, 03:55 PM
What is even more impressive is that not only will he win the Serena Slam at the Australian Open, but also the Rafael Nadal Slam @ RG and then seal his status as the goat by winning the Slam Dunk @ Wimbledon next year. Unfortunately it will be too tough mentally for him to complete a calendar GS (Ultimate Slam) by defending his title in NY next year.

SBruguera
09-15-2010, 04:25 PM

Navratilova, Graf and Williams won their non-calendar slams the same way I think, starting from the French. Of course only Graf won the real Grand Slam (and Golden). :D

Sophocles
09-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Budge won 6 in a row.

Bilbo
09-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Navratilova, Graf and Williams won their non-calendar slams the same way I think, starting from the French. Of course only Graf won the real Grand Slam (and Golden). :D

Graf is the ultimate GOAT. She nearly won 9 slams in a row.

Iván
09-15-2010, 04:28 PM
rafa as much as i love him got very lucky wawa knocked out andrew murray, would never of beaten murray on these courts.

murray will derail one of his slam attempts next year

Allez
09-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Graf is the ultimate GOAT

Nadal will also win the golden slam in 2012.

Bilbo
09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
rafa as much as i love him got very lucky wawa knocked out andrew murray, would never of beaten murray on these courts.

so was federer when soderling knocked out rafa in paris 2009

Iván
09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
nadal vs a fully fit Juan Martin del potro and andy murray in the hardcourt slams?

no chance for rafa

very very lucky us open draw for nadal

Iván
09-15-2010, 04:33 PM
so was federer when soderling knocked out rafa in paris 2009

indeed, i dont rate either of those slam wins for either player.

insignifcant slam wins.

i want to see rafa beat the best in slams, not the likes of verdasco and youzny to get to a final.

Manila ESQ
09-15-2010, 04:34 PM
nadal vs a fully fit Juan Martin del potro and andy murray in the hardcourt slams?

no chance for rafa

very very lucky win us open draw for nadal

I don't think so. Rafa 2010 can definitely beat Del Potro and Murray.

SBruguera
09-15-2010, 04:34 PM

I was wrong, I forgot that in 1983 and 1984 the Australian was held in december, so Navratilova won six Slams in a row starting from Wimbledon but couldn´t achieve the calendar slam.

Bilbo
09-15-2010, 04:35 PM

no chance for rafa

don't think so. rafa has imrpoved a lot to last year especially his serve. he also hit more winners than nole. i say no chance for murray and del potro vs. rafa in slams. only in best-of-3 they have a chance.

Iván
09-15-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't think so. Rafa 2010 can definitely beat Del Potro and Murray.

he can beat them on clay and grass but for me has zero chances vs a fully fit JMDP and small chances vs murray on hardcourts.

Iván
09-15-2010, 04:37 PM
don't think so. rafa has imrpoved a lot to last year especially his serve. he also hit more winners than nole. i say no chance for murray and del potro vs. rafa in slams. only in best-of-3 they have a chance.

i wouldnt get sucked into this rafa us open win, no one tested him till the final , he was fully fit and fresh for nole.

doubt this will happen again for him to be honest.

will come up against much stiffer tests in future hardcourt Q/F and S/F.

peribsen
09-15-2010, 04:49 PM
If every half-decent player is out with injury, out of form just coming back from injury, declining, slumping, knocked out early, choking, bending over, or in possession of zero stamina and a serve fucked up by Todd Martin, then yeah, he's got a shot.

For heaven's sake, Sophocles, can you really say that Nadal only has chances outside clay because of the reasons you give? Agreed that in NY this year luck made it far easier for him (though responsability for that rests with Murray and all the other players who failed to play the role expected of them, funny Rafa should be criticized for Murray's shortcomings).

But one thing is luck making it easier, quite another is thinking it all is due exclusively to a stroke of luck. Rafa had made the two previous SF in USO, so his reaching the SF this year, whoever he may have faced, cannot be attributed to luck alone. We have every reason to presume he would have had a very good chance of making the SF, even with other rivals up to QF. As for what may have happened from there, surely his victory over Djokovic shows he is far from a lame duck on HC? Would he have won the trophy? Who knows... but insisting that he wouldn't have is as biased as they come.

And please don't try the card of Novak being 'tired', he had more than enough time to recover; besides, playing 5 sets happens to most players during a slam and they can't use that as an excuse. If you follow that line, then you might as well say that an 'extremely tired' Rafa was still good enough to sail through Murray in Wimbledon, hadn't Nadal played two 5 setters in the early rounds?

Vent your rage against other players who let the tournament down, it surely is too much to ask Rafa to bear the responsibility for their failure.

You usually are capable of granting merit where it's due, but here you have a man achieving something very few people have done, and some of you insist in denying him his moment of glory because of who his rivals were in the 4th round and the semis! Reading your posts, one would think there never was such a thing as an upset in a slam and everyone but Rafa has always won their tournaments facing only the top-10.

He won USO beating nr3 (now nr2) in the final. Get over it!

Iván
09-15-2010, 04:52 PM
For heaven's sake, Sophocles, can you really say that Nadal only has chances outside clay because of the reasons you give? Agreed that in NY this year luck made it far easier for him (though responsability for that rests with Murray and all the other players who failed to play the role expected of them, funny Rafa should be criticized for Murray's shortcomings).

But one thing is luck making it easier, quite another is thinking it all is due exclusively to a stroke of luck. Rafa had made the two previous SF in USO, so his reaching the SF this year, whoever he may have faced, cannot be attributed to luck alone. We have every reason to presume he would have had a very good chance of making the SF, even with other rivals up to QF. As for what may have happened from there, surely his victory over Djokovic shows he is far from a lame duck on HC? Would he have won the trophy? Who knows... but insisting that he wouldn't have is as biased as they come.

And please don't try the card of Novak being 'tired', he had more than enough time to recover; besides, playing 5 sets happens to most players during a slam and they can't use that as an excuse. If you follow that line, then you might as well say that an 'extremely tired' Rafa was still good enough to sail through Murray in Wimbledon, hadn't Nadal played two 5 setters in the early rounds?

Vent your rage against other players who let the tournament down, it surely is too much to ask Rafa to bear the responsibility for their failure.

You usually are capable of granting merit where it's due, but here you have a man achieving something very few people have done, and some of you insist in denying him his moment of glory because of who his rivals were in the 4th round and the semis! Reading your posts, one would think there never was such a thing as an upset in a slam and everyone but Rafa had always won his tournaments facing only the top-10.

the problem for me is who had to bt to get to the final, verdasco and misha?

come on, cakewalk draw, if he bt fed in the final i would of rated it more.

once he bts two top five players in a hardcourt slam i will respect it more

Sophocles
09-15-2010, 04:56 PM

You usually are capable of granting merit where it's due, but here you have a man achieving something very few people have done, and some of you insist in denying him his moment of glory because of who his rivals were in the 4th round and the semis! Reading your posts, one would think there never was such a thing as an upset in a slam and everyone but Rafa has always won their tournaments facing only the top-10.

Of course I blame Murray for crapping out at a slam again. And I blame Djokovic for his lack of fitness & drastically less effective serve. I was merely trying to be realistic about Nadal's chances at the A.O. He's one of the best hard-court players around, & he's in with a shot at any hard-court slam, but it's a fairly long shot, & he'll need a slice of luck. The same goes for the other good hard-court players - Djokovic, Murray, Roddick, Del Potro, Davydenko, & now, sadly, Federer.

star
09-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Of course I blame Murray for crapping out at a slam again. And I blame Djokovic for his lack of fitness & drastically less effective serve. I was merely trying to be realistic about Nadal's chances at the A.O. He's one of the best hard-court players around, & he's in with a shot at any hard-court slam, but it's a fairly long shot, & he'll need a slice of luck. The same goes for the other good hard-court players - Djokovic, Murray, Roddick, Del Potro, Davydenko, & now, sadly, Federer.

:hug: I used to get mad at the players who wilted like pansies across the net from Federer. So irritating. No backbone, no fortitude. Yeah. I know how you feel. :)

marvin0211
09-15-2010, 05:01 PM
he can beat them on clay and grass but for me has zero chances vs a fully fit JMDP and small chances vs murray on hardcourts.

I laughed at this kind of post, till Nadal prove them otherwise:D

Mateya
09-15-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm not a Rafatard, but I think he has a realistic chance.

With all the mugs and headcases out there, why not? :)

SheepleBuster
09-15-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm not a Rafatard, but I think he has a realistic chance.

With all the mugs and headcases out there, why not? :)

Cup cake draws, Adam Helfant trying to create a Spanish myth. Yes. They all help.

Waterfox
09-15-2010, 07:23 PM
If he makes it 6 in a row.

He might pretty much make it 7 in a row.
If he made 7 in a row.

Then 8 in a row is very much possible... and so on.

Manequin75
09-15-2010, 07:35 PM

come on, cakewalk draw, if he bt fed in the final i would of rated it more.

rafa is fine racking up up slmas without your respect :)

peribsen
09-15-2010, 07:55 PM
come on, cakewalk draw,

Cup cake draws, Adam Helfant trying to create a Spanish myth. Yes. They all help.

Don't you think it's high time you two learnt what a draw is? A draw is known in advance, it's the players one is expected to have to face. The guys you actually meet the other side of the net are not the draw, they are the guys who behaved as expected in the draw.

Rafa's draw was far from easy. Problem is the guys who he was supposed to be meeting each round kept getting themselves murdered before meeting Rafa. You are criticizing Rafa for Ljubivic's, Gulbis', Nalbandian's and Murray's clownish performance.

if he bt fed in the final i would of rated it more

So now you're bashing Federer for not giving him the chance? How could he beat Federer if the Swiss was already on the flight back home?

You haven't been following tennis for so long if you think all slams involve facing two top-5, or even two top-10. Should we discard all slams in which the winner didn't have to beat two top-5? Are you aware that Fed has only faced two top-5 in 3 of the 16 slams he's won? Are you suggesting he be stripped of the other 13?

In Wimbledon 2008, Fed reached the final without having to face anybody ranked over 25. Does that mean, according to you, that if he had beaten Nadal that victory shouldn't have been counted?

Look, Nadal beat the last man standing, the world nr3 who got promoted to nr2 for making the final. Yet you make it sound like if he had won over a nobody.

Get over it, or at least learn something about the history of the sport.

SheepleBuster
09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Don't you think it's high time you two learnt what a draw is? A draw is known in advance, it's the players one is expected to have to face. The guys you actually meet the other side of the net are not the draw, they are the guys who behaved as expected in the draw.

Rafa's draw was far from easy. Problem is the guys who he was supposed to be meeting each round kept getting themselves murdered before meeting Rafa. You are criticizing Rafa for Ljubivic's, Gulbis', Nalbandian's and Murray's clownish performance.

So now you're bashing Federer for not giving him the chance? How could he beat Federer if the Swiss was already on the flight back home?

You haven't been following tennis for so long if you think all slams involve facing two top-5, or even two top-10. Should we discard all slams in which the winner didn't have to beat two top-5? Are you aware that Fed has only faced two top-5 in 3 of the 16 slams he's won? Are you suggesting he be stripped of the other 13?

In Wimbledon 2008, Fed reached the final without having to face anybody ranked over 25. Does that mean, according to you, that if he had beaten Nadal that victory shouldn't have been counted?

Look, Nadal beat the last man standing, the world nr3 who got promoted to nr2 for making the final. Yet you make it sound like if he had won over a nobody.

Get over it, or at least learn something about the history of the sport.

Don't you think it's about the time sheeples woke up?

peribsen
09-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Don't you think it's about the time sheeples woke up?

Sorry to spoil your fun, but since I'm very far from falling into the category of 'Sheeples', I'll just have to conclude that you speak through your hat.

And you haven't answered to any of the points I made. Lack of arguments, perhaps?

What can one expect from a tennis fan who doesn't even know what the draw is?

bad gambler
09-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Graf is the ultimate GOAT. She nearly won 9 slams in a row.

and the golden slam

Topspindoctor
09-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Nadal will probably tank Wimbledon next year to avoid another champions ball with Serena :haha: