Tennis Philosphy: Why Fans Hate Successful Players [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis Philosphy: Why Fans Hate Successful Players

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 01:38 PM
I am perhaps guilty of this myself. But why is that we as fans like to hate on successful players, whether it is Federer, Nadal, and ... I see Federer fans attack Nadal and diminish his accomplishments. I see Nadal fans make fun of Federer and call him a frauderer. I see Novak fans attack both those guys. I do blame the media for making outrageous comparison and comments to get people riled up. We are being programmed to root for or against people even though we don't know these people and what they do does not affect our lives in the larger picture. So what if Nadal passes Fed as GOAT? What if Novak wins 20 slams? Or Roddick never wins another? Or Murray stays slamless?

It seems now more than ever tennis fans are spending more time bickering and arguing about what their idols are doing than actually enjoying tennis. I guess getting people riled up is good for TV and business of tennis. And the new ATP heads are doing that all the time with their headlines and coverage and silly comparison. I miss those days when people actually cared more about tennis and how beautiful the game was instead of worrying about who is going to win how many slams and who's overrated.

Do fans hate their favorite player's rivals because they try to live those players lives? See themselves as those players so when they win, the fans feel like winners too? As a Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray fans, is it worth getting riled up about every win and lose or the comments and things these people say?

borracho
09-14-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm not a fan of one single player, but probably it is because the fanboys of Fed/Nadal/Djoko/Murray are incredibly annoying/pathetic/gayish/overreacting every time their idol achieves something.

star
09-14-2010, 01:45 PM
I am perhaps guilty of this myself.

:haha:

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
:haha:

So you are not? I tried a serious thread and you have to still be a clown?

JolánGagó
09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Mods, please kindly pulverize at once this deeply meaningless, idiotic attempt at thread and ban it's OP, that unfunny, wittyless clown going by the moniker "cyrusking", thank you very much.

FormerRafaFan
09-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Well.. I am one of the few people who actually enjoys tennis no matter who is playing. Sure, I don't necessarily like Soderling or Federer, but it's got nothing to do with the media. I just don't like their personalities. I think Federer is too arrogant and Soderling comes across as mean and rude.

Anyways, my point is that I can ctually seperate the tennis from the person. I always praise them when they do well because they are both wonderful tennis players and they obviously both deserve to be successful. I don't have difficulties with showing them respect even though they may not be my favorite players. They still deserve to be treated well.

I wish more people would respect Rafa for all he has accomplished. I get that many people don't like him, but please seperate the guy from his accomoplishments. I think it's time he deserves a bit more respect around here!

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Well.. I am one of the few people who actually enjoys tennis no matter who is playing. Sure, I don't necessarily like Soderling or Federer, but it's got nothing to do with the media. I just don't like their personalities. I think Federer is too arrogant and Soderling comes across as mean and rude.

Anyways, my point is that I can ctually seperate the tennis from the person. I always praise them when they do well because they are both wonderful tennis players and they obviously both deserve to be successful. I don't have difficulties with showing them respect even though they may not be my favorite players. They still deserve to be treated well.

I wish more people would respect Rafa for all he has accomplished. I get that many people don't like him, but please seperate the guy from his accomoplishments. I think it's time he deserves a bit more respect around here!

I agree. We often fail to separate tennis from those who are playing them. I used to not like Novak but now I watch his tennis and appreciate what he does. The same with Murray. I think people spend too much time worrying about their favorite player's records, GOAT, and nonsense like that.

Sillyrabbit
09-14-2010, 01:59 PM

Have you read your own posts at all? The said user is probably laughing because the part he quoted has to be one of the biggest understatements on the forum. There are different levels to disliking a player and posting about him, you and the Magician are on a whole other level. :lol:

Personally hating successful players who are likely to win or do well in most tourneys they enter is a huge waste of time, it takes away from the time you could spend enjoying the tennis instead of getting upset because the player you hate made it to the next round or was close to going out then didn't.

star
09-14-2010, 01:59 PM

Your "serious" threads amuse me greatly.

I give you the respect you deserve -- as you do me. :p

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Your "serious" threads amuse me greatly.

I give you the respect you deserve -- as you do me. :p

I have not disrespected you anytime. In fact, I try not to disrespect anyone in this forum. And if I have, my apologies. I don't think you come to a forum to make fun of or ridicule other people who have opinions they should be entitled too.

As far as my comment, I admit I get riled up sometime. But I admit it. I don't think I ever said I was infallible or know it all, did I?

ktdude
09-14-2010, 02:32 PM
I agree with sokk and Sillyrabbit. The tennis players I support aren't always the ones who play the most beautiful game. It's definitely a game of personalities, and I think people are too quick to hate someone because of their personality, as perceived in the media or otherwise, and they don't factor in the actual skill, or achievements, of a player when forming their opinions.

I understand why it gets to the point of bickering as people are passionate about defending their favourite players and this all too often seems to descend into pettiness and abuse, because so many people are unwilling to change their opinions or listen to those of others.

I don't really think it's specific to tennis fans, though. It's an unfortunate side-effect of online forums. I bet, if you were having a drink with a range of people from here, you'd all have a good laugh about some of the ranting that you've posted!

Action Jackson
09-14-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't really think it's specific to tennis fans, though. It's an unfortunate side-effect of online forums. I bet, if you were having a drink with a range of people from here, you'd all have a good laugh about some of the ranting that you've posted!

Some are actually quite funny people that can see the humour and others they are the ones who you are told to stay away from.

kooties
09-14-2010, 03:01 PM
We do this because it's just not natural to be neutral. As human beings, we almost always have to pick sides.

I cannot stand Federer winning and I really don't know why. It's not at all logical for me since I like aggresive, flowing games and Federer's is as aggresive, and flowing as there is, it's beautiful when it's on and nothing comes close.

I shamelessly try to imitate his strokes (especially his forehand, and backhand slice) whenever I play tennis, to the point where I routinely spam the "short slice + punishing forehand" tactic that has become his trademark.

I'm even proud to have him as the GOAT of my favorite sport, and as much as I prefer tons of other players, such as Nadal over Federer, I quite frankly don't want Nadal nor anyone else to come close to his record. He has become almost myth-like to me, not merely just because of his records, but because of the flawless style of tennis that he brings, he's THE tennis player, he's THE standard, he's the boogeyman that all players should aspire to beat and surpass, but should never be able to do so.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 08:02 PM
We do this because it's just not natural to be neutral. As human beings, we almost always have to pick sides.

I cannot stand Federer winning and I really don't know why. It's not at all logical for me since I like aggresive, flowing games and Federer's is as aggresive, and flowing as there is, it's beautiful when it's on and nothing comes close.

I shamelessly try to imitate his strokes (especially his forehand, and backhand slice) whenever I play tennis, to the point where I routinely spam the "short slice + punishing forehand" tactic that has become his trademark.

I'm even proud to have him as the GOAT of my favorite sport, and as much as I prefer tons of other players, such as Nadal over Federer, I quite frankly don't want Nadal nor anyone else to come close to his record. He has become almost myth-like to me, not merely just because of his records, but because of the flawless style of tennis that he brings, he's THE tennis player, he's THE standard, he's the boogeyman that all players should aspire to beat and surpass, but should never be able to do so.

I know the feeling. :)

gbmkc
09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
If you're not a fan, watching one or two people win everything gets boring FAST.

I don't hate Fedal but I do hate the predictable nature of the majors over the last few years. Nole and Del Potro are the only two to shake things up.

Nole fan
09-14-2010, 08:21 PM
If you're not a fan, watching one or two people win everything gets boring FAST.

I don't hate Fedal but I do hate the predictable nature of the majors over the last few years. Nole and Del Potro are the only two to shake things up.

Exactly my opinion (ad Murray in there too). And I love Roger and Rafa, never criticize them! But I'm passionate about Novak, that's how it it and no matter who comes along I know I can only root for him. :shrug:

ossie
09-14-2010, 09:18 PM
fed got a lot of hate when he was surpassing samprass so i agree