So the biggest test Nadal had at FO/SW19 & USO 2010 were Mahut, Petchner & Gabashvile [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

So the biggest test Nadal had at FO/SW19 & USO 2010 were Mahut, Petchner & Gabashvile

09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
We can all agree on that?

I mean seriously, doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about the level of play at the three slams Nadal won this year.

I know Djokovic got a set from Rafa, but it was still Gaba, who with a point here, point there could have been 2 sets up against Nadal. Still would have lost though.

Name 3 slams Federer won ever, let alone in a row where the biggest challenge he faced was from players of these guys caliber.

I mean Mahut is a pretty handy player, but seriously.

_Chaz
09-14-2010, 01:37 PM

I mean seriously, doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about the level of play at the three slams Nadal won this year.

I know Djokovic got a set from Rafa, but it was still Gaba, who with a point here, point there could have been 2 sets up against Nadal. Still would have lost though.

Name 3 slams Federer won ever, let alone in a row where the biggest challenge he faced was from players of these guys caliber.

I mean Mahut is a pretty handy player, but seriously.

When did Nadal face Mahut this year in a slam? I guess you mean Haase, dont you?

A_Skywalker
09-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Well, he played Soderling at RG and beat him easily. Djokovic who wasnt tired at all(like people will say) at US open. He can only play the players that reach him, he can do nothing that Murray, DJoovic and Federer lose before him.

.-Federers_Mate-.
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
i would say Nadals biggest challengers were almagro and murray (french and wimby). Oh well, good on Nadal taking advantage of Rogers decline

Topspindoctor
09-14-2010, 01:44 PM
He has a tough draw at Wimbledon, I thought most people agreed? Couple of dangerous big servers in early rounds, Soderking in QF, Murray in SF and potentially Federer in F. RG wasn't hard, but there is no hard draw for Nadal in RG to be honest. In USO he beat a top ten player and top 5 player, which is not too shabby. Murray failed to show up, but that's his problem.

09-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Sorry it was infact Almugro I think who got a couple of tiebreak sets with Rafa at the French Open.

Look, Nadal did have to face tough players, it was just that those players had a 5 set semi (Soderling FO, Djokobitch USO), where as he waltsed into the final in straights.

I guess its the privelage of being top seed.

09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
i would say Nadals biggest challengers were almagro and murray (french and wimby). Oh well, good on Nadal taking advantage of Rogers decline

Well notwithstanding Murray who schooled him in Melbourne yeah i'd agree.

hahayoyo
09-14-2010, 02:05 PM
i would say Nadals biggest challengers were almagro and murray (french and wimby). Oh well, good on Nadal taking advantage of Rogers declineyeah...you are right...nadal has been taking advantage of federer's decline since 2004.

09-14-2010, 02:10 PM
yeah...you are right...nadal has been taking advantage of federer's decline since 2004.

Of course, everyone knows the decline of Federer began with the 3rd round loss at 2004 French Open.

peribsen
09-14-2010, 03:03 PM

No, we can't all agree and no, it doesn't necessarily mean what you think.

In Wimbledon, Rafa had to go through Soderling, Murray and Berdych to take the tittle. That's about as difficult a trio as can be found, arguably more dangerous for Nadal than if Fed replaced one of them; only guy you could put in their place who would provide the same or more level of difficulty would be Djokovic.

Nadal, like many top players, raises his level depending who are his rivals. Close calls on the early rounds are frequent in tennis, always have been. You haven't still upped your game, you're not expecting too strong a challenge, and someone ranked in the 40s plays out of his shirt and causes trouble.

In NY, the main factor was Murray's failure to deliver the goods. The draw meant Rafa to face far more opposition on his road to the final (Murray SF, Nalby QF): they both failed, why should Rafa lose prestige because other players fail? To win he still had to beat Djokovic, who is one of the strongest players on fast HC and who had been good enough to get rid of Federer.

I think you are simply trying to deduct from the huge achievement Rafa has accomplished, 3 slams on a row, on different surfaces.

Petty on your part.

Certinfy
09-14-2010, 03:05 PM
RG - Almagro
Wimbledon - Petzschner/Haase
US Open - Djokovic

Priam
09-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Wasn't Murray the biggest test at Wimby? I mean if it went 1 set-all, it could've gone either way.

peribsen
09-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Wasn't Murray the biggest test at Wimby? I mean if it went 1 set-all, it could've gone either way.

Maybe, but it didn't.

Murray kept the score decent in WB, but I fail to understand how some people insist in saying it was close. Straight-sets in a best of 5 is a pretty clear-cut result. At the level of play expected between 2 of the top-5, differences often are limited to how well you manage the big points. In that sense, Rafa sailed through the SF: Murray was good enough to produce some chances, but was almost systematically outplayed in them. In fact, he got his only set ball due to a double-fault from Nadal in the TB, an uncharacteristic gift from Rafa so late on a set. He then went ahead on the third, but at least for me it was clear what the most likely outcome was going to be, not only in the match, but even in that set, Murray never was more than a single break ahead.

Priam
09-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Maybe, but it didn't.

Murray kept the score decent in WB, but I fail to understand how some people insist in saying it was close. Straight-sets in a best of 5 is a pretty clear-cut result. At the level of play expected between 2 of the top-5, differences often are limited to how well you manage the big points. In that sense, Rafa sailed through the SF: Murray was good enough to produce some chances, but was almost systematically outplayed in them. In fact, he got his only set ball due to a double-fault from Nadal in the TB, an uncharacteristic gift from Rafa so late on a set. He then went ahead on the third, but at least for me it was clear what the most likely outcome was going to be, not only in the match, but even in that set, Murray never was more than a single break ahead.

As a Nadal fan, were you more worried against Petz and Robin? Even down 2-1 in sets, you still probably were thinking it was NID because it was Rafa of all people. Whereas with Murray, given their recent history (Oz retirement and all), the match was pretty tight. A few points/bounces decided it. The world #4 was a bigger test right?

star
09-14-2010, 03:38 PM

Yeah. That was certainly the reason for him beating Federer at RG even when Federer was trotting at 3 slams a year.

emotion
09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Djokovic played him tough for 2... Almagro could have been up 6-0 6-0 5-1 and would not have been in a winning position

peribsen
09-14-2010, 04:01 PM
As a Nadal fan, were you more worried against Petz and Robin? Even down 2-1 in sets, you still probably were thinking it was NID because it was Rafa of all people. Whereas with Murray, given their recent history (Oz retirement and all), the match was pretty tight. A few points/bounces decided it. The world #4 was a bigger test right?

I was extremely worried against Haase and scared stiff against Petz, much more than against Sod or Murray on either count. That's the trouble with the early rounds, one bad day and you may be sent packing (not counting the fact than an early loss is always far more humbling).

Of course, top players like the Swede and the Scot have far greater potential and staying power, that means the day before the match you are far more weary of them and during the game you don't ever relax until the match ball is called in, they have the weapons to turn around almost any scoreboard. But the score against them was never that tight to cause anxiety, far less fear. Rafa was in command during all the match against Murray, or at the very least Murray was not really in command of any part of the match, even if he broke once and led by only a break.

Infinity
09-14-2010, 04:05 PM
At RG, come on the guy entered it as a four time champion, having a 31-1 career record, unbeatable on clay this season and beating in the final the only player who ever beat him there.

At Wimbledon, he got Soderling, Murray and Berdych. I agree that Berdych is not a big challenge in the final, but come on, he has a win already over Federer there.

US Open, yeah it was easy but only with Murray getting out. When the draw was out, every one was waiting to find where Murray and Nalbandian will be. Both were possible opponents to Nadal, but failed.