15 takeaways from US Open 2010 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

15 takeaways from US Open 2010

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 04:15 AM
So what are the takeaways from this slam in your opinion. Here are mine:

1. Rafa is clearly the best player in the world... for now anyway
2. Novak needs a lot of work to challenge for slams.
3. Murray is overrated and needs to work.
4. Where are the promising generation (gulbis, baghdatis, cilic, young)
5. American tennis is in shambles
6. Andy Roddick may be done as a top 5 guy
7. Commentary is still bad.
8. Coverage was awful
9. Super Saturday is terrible.
10. women still get paid more than men.
11. Delpo was sorely missed.
12. The need for redrawing after each round was evident.
13. Federer is not done but won't dominate. Needs to be more aggressive.
14. Simon Reed was right about Rafa and dead wrong about Murray
15. Haters will hate and will make a fool of themselves (by popular demand :))

yours?

kooties
09-14-2010, 04:23 AM
1.american media sucks.

2.Rafa, I'm proud of what you've done, and I'm proud of witnessing your Tier 1 GOAT candidate era, but for the sake of tennis, and for the sake of it not getting too boring, LOSE ALREADY!!!

navy75
09-14-2010, 04:27 AM
Agree with all but #2 and #12...

Ben.
09-14-2010, 04:32 AM
Some actual sense in this post, well done. Djokovic just needs to play and believe in himself like he did here and improve fitness. The re-draw would be ridiculous, players would have little to no time to prepare and it wouldn't fix anything, just give people even more opportunities to moan about the draw.

Ibracadabra
09-14-2010, 04:33 AM
Del potro was the biggest miss.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 04:33 AM
Some actual sense in this post, well done. Djokovic just needs to play and believe in himself like he did here and improve fitness. The re-draw would be ridiculous, players would have little to no time to prepare and it wouldn't fix anything, just give people even more opportunities to moan about the draw.

I like Champions Leagues model better. Maybe redraw the first 4 rounds and then go with a fixed on. I don't know. That way, if someone loses very early, the draw does not completely open up.

philosophicalarf
09-14-2010, 04:43 AM
Poor event ultimately, ruined by heat taking out a lot of interesting players, then wind making some of the better later matches farcical.

Djokovic can't be considered a slam challenger with the laughable level of fitness he showed today. Turns up, plays like garbage for a set, has a big rainbreak, then only lasts physically for an hour after that? Very poor.

Murray needs an experienced coach to head his team - two years in a row he gets injured here can't be a coincidence, that needs better scheduling and general management. A coach might have told him to tank in Cincinnati when he was given his 7th match in a row in brutal daytime heat, for example.

Masters Federer (aka Federror) is increasingly making comedy appearances in slams too. Was it 24 UEs in the final set vs Djoko? Woeful.

Nadal can beat a bunch of easy opponents on fast hard, then Verdasco and Youzhny and Djokovic all coming off 5 setters. This much isn't new, it would be expected before the tournament. It remains to be seen how he might handle a fit Djokovic with gas to play more than one competent set in a match, or Del Potro, or Murray. Federror of course would crumble as he always does.

Soderling probably did as much as can be expected. Managed to avoid another heat-induced flop first round (Haider-Maurer serving like Karlovic didn't help), and went as far as he could. Against Federer in the wind he has zero chance. A good end of season and he could move further up the rankings, 3 is quite possible, even 2 if Fed does the usual tank job the rest of the season.

Verdasco bending over for Nadal is a little predictable, I suppose. With his recent form, and the wind making it harder, it's perhaps excusable. Still, the way he did it was plain Almagro-in-Bercy embarrassing: start strong, overpower opponent, good discipline.... then donate the break away with consecutive doublesfaults, and give up afterwards.

Monfils is one of the bigger disappointments, having shown some early round discipline and focus he was just utterly ridiculous vs Djoko. Not sure why Rasheed bothers with him.

Cilic remains wildly, wildly off form.

Youz somehow stumbled through to the semis, and picks up a huge chunk of points. Well done to him, especially since he's not actually playing especially well (as he himself admitted).

M4RC
09-14-2010, 04:47 AM
1. Nadal owns his haters.

MalwareDie
09-14-2010, 04:49 AM
Poor event ultimately, ruined by heat taking out a lot of interesting players, then wind making some of the better later matches farcical.

Djokovic can't be considered a slam challenger with the laughable level of fitness he showed today. Turns up, plays like garbage for a set, has a big rainbreak, then only lasts physically for an hour after that? Very poor.

Murray needs an experienced coach to head his team - two years in a row he gets injured here can't be a coincidence, that needs better scheduling and general management. A coach might have told him to tank in Cincinnati when he was given his 7th match in a row in brutal daytime heat, for example.

Masters Federer (aka Federror) is increasingly making comedy appearances in slams too. Was it 24 UEs in the final set vs Djoko? Woeful.

Nadal can beat a bunch of easy opponents on fast hard, then Verdasco and Youzhny and Djokovic all coming off 5 setters. This much isn't new, it would be expected before the tournament. It remains to be seen how he might handle a fit Djokovic with gas to play more than one competent set in a match, or Del Potro, or Murray. Federror of course would crumble as he always does.

Soderling probably did as much as can be expected. Managed to avoid another heat-induced flop first round (Haider-Maurer serving like Karlovic didn't help), and went as far as he could. Against Federer in the wind he has zero chance. A good end of season and he could move further up the rankings, 3 is quite possible, even 2 if Fed does the usual tank job the rest of the season.

Monfils is one of the bigger disappointments, having shown some early round discipline and focus he was just utterly ridiculous vs Djoko. Not sure why Rasheed bothers with him.

Remind me to rep this.

CCBH
09-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Add this one too:

0. Haterz will hate (and mostly make fools of themselves).

Langers
09-14-2010, 06:50 AM

8. Coverage was awful

yours?
What the? :confused:

Topspindoctor
09-14-2010, 06:54 AM

Fitness. Nole was out of gas after 3rd set.

tennis2tennis
09-14-2010, 06:54 AM

he needs a push for the final hurdle! People kept on harping on about how his long match against Roger was going to take away from his fitness in the final...all along i was thinking he's 23 YEARS OLD this is suppose to be the prime/peak of his physical power; if he can't recover quickly from a 5 setter at 23 when can he?

Snowwy
09-14-2010, 07:06 AM
12 is stupid.

The Magician
09-14-2010, 07:09 AM

Verdasco bending over for Nadal is a little predictable, I suppose. With his recent form, and the wind making it harder, it's perhaps excusable. Still, the way he did it was plain Almagro-in-Bercy embarrassing: start strong, overpower opponent, good discipline.... then donate the break away with consecutive doublesfaults, and give up afterwards.

Cilic remains wildly, wildly off form.

Youz somehow stumbled through to the semis, and picks up a huge chunk of points. Well done to him, especially since he's not actually playing especially well (as he himself admitted).

Good post :yeah:

The Magician
09-14-2010, 07:11 AM
I forgot mine:

1.N
2.A
3.D
4.A
5.L
6.I
7.S
8.T
9.H
10.E
11.G
12.O
13.A
14.T
15.!

peribsen
09-14-2010, 07:30 AM

8. Coverage was awful

Good post, what a change...

Agree with most of it, except:
- redrawing after each round is a nutty idea that will lead to constant bickering.
- I agree Murray needs to work but, despite all the exagerated hype that sometimes builds up around him, I think he is really good and is not overrated.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Good post, what a change...

Agree with most of it, except:
- redrawing after each round is a nutty idea that will lead to constant bickering.
- I agree Murray needs to work but, despite all the exagerated hype that sometimes builds up around him, I think he is really good and is not overrated.

It's the champions league model so not that nutty if you do it at least for the first 3 rounds. I think Murray can be a huge threat if he wins that first slam. He just can't get over the hump though.

Voo de Mar
09-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Mine:

- American tennis declines
- Nadal has great shot to be considered as the greatest player of the Open era thanks to this title
- there's still a big gap between Top 4 players and the rest (despite Murray's hiccup)
- scheduling of best players against whipping-boys in night sessions is senseless
- no youngsters with a serious prospect to reach the Top 10 in the next few years

Jaz
09-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Murray is overrated.
Federer needs to stop the leaky u/es and the dodgy serve.
Novak's fitness IS concerning.

09-14-2010, 01:29 PM
The butter chicken was really good.

The hot chips were top too.

As usual, takeaway food at the US Open was superb :wavey:

thrust
09-14-2010, 01:48 PM
he needs a push for the final hurdle! People kept on harping on about how his long match against Roger was going to take away from his fitness in the final...all along i was thinking he's 23 YEARS OLD this is suppose to be the prime/peak of his physical power; if he can't recover quickly from a 5 setter at 23 when can he?

Novak, from what I have read, has physical problems not usual for an athlete his age. There is nothing he can do about that. There is NO player today who could have defeated Nadal last night, after having played thosE 5 sets against Roger on Saturday. Above all, congrats to Rafa. Congrats to Novak too. He made me a fan again at this USO.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
I just am very disappointed with the young generation. Except Nadal and Djokovic and maybe Murray, the rest are turning out be to mugs of highest order. Monfils has so much potential. Gulbis has potential but ..

Hingisova
09-14-2010, 02:12 PM
1. Rafa is clearly the best player in the world... for now anyway...I agree but his idiosyncrasies drive me crazy.:devil:..pulling the pants out of his butt,:rolleyes: pushing the strands of hair behind each ear before every serve is very monotonous:eek:, repetitive and boring:mad:, yes his skills on the court are exceptional but his freaking robotlike mannerisms take all the "glitter" away!

8.Coverage was awful.....:p I never did see the final match...too much football, ball and poker....here in Canada didn't see the results until this a.m. They did show an interview on the TODAY show of Rafa with his trophy bigga deala!

Hingisova:wavey:

Voo de Mar
09-14-2010, 02:13 PM
I just am very disappointed with the young generation. Except Nadal and Djokovic and maybe Murray, the rest are turning out be to mugs of highest order. Monfils has so much potential. Gulbis has potential but ..

But rather don't mix Young with them, he looks poorly even in comparison to Kei Nishikori who is a couple months younger :p

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
But rather don't mix Young with them, he looks poorly even in comparison to Kei Nishikori who is a couple months younger :p

You are right. But Patrick McEnroe and co were saying how Young was the next great thing just a couple of years ago after his match with blake.

Voo de Mar
09-14-2010, 02:47 PM
You are right. But Patrick McEnroe and co were saying how Young was the next great thing just a couple of years ago after his match with blake.

PMac, co. and their wishful thinking :zzz:

peribsen
09-14-2010, 03:05 PM
There's a 16th takeaway that we have forgotten:

Djokovic has shown he is possibly the best sportsman on the tour, his elegance in defeat deserves being remembered.

star
09-14-2010, 03:15 PM
There's a 16th takeaway that we have forgotten:

Djokovic has shown he is possibly the best sportsman on the tour, his elegance in defeat deserves being remembered.

:yeah:

And in the face of bitter disappointment.

FormerRafaFan
09-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Exactly. And he had a whole day to rest. Rafa had less than that when he won over Fed in AO 09 after that 5 setter in the SF against Verdasco.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Exactly. And he had a whole day to rest. Rafa had less than that when he won over Fed in AO 09 after that 5 setter in the SF against Verdasco.

I don't think him being tired was the whole story. Novak made some dumb decisions last night and his serve let him down. I don't remember the last time he has faced that many break points. If he does not get his old serve back, he is in trouble. It's like Nadal and Novak have swapped serves. Nadal used to not serve well. Now he does. Novak does not. That's a big advantage.

yuri27
09-14-2010, 07:24 PM

What about french tennis then???
At least,American tennis has been able to produce some Grand Slam winners in the last 20 years.
Besides:

16-None of the current french players is capable of winning a GS.

Really???
Apart from his incredible athleticism(he should have really played basketball),what sort of potential does he have in term of tennis??
The guy has almost ZERO talent when it comes purely to tennis contrary to another french player.......

FormerRafaFan
09-14-2010, 07:31 PM
What about french tennis then???
At least,American tennis has been able to produce some Grand Slam winners in the last 20 years.
Besides:

16-None of the current french players is capable of winning a GS.

Really???
Apart from his incredible athleticism(he should have really played basketball),what sort of potential does he have in term of tennis??
The guy has almost ZERO talent when it comes purely to tennis contrary to another french player.......

Nobody can beat Norwegian tennis, our best player ranked around #400, and he's like 28.. So I don't see more potential there. But as a comfort.. It's not like we were that good in the first place, lol.. Unlike the Americans and the French.