Is this the age of Nadal? How long will he dominate the Tour? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is this the age of Nadal? How long will he dominate the Tour?

DorianGray7
09-14-2010, 02:44 AM
Some people used to say that from 2003/4-2009 was the age of Federer. Now with Nadal completing the career slam at only age 24 (Federer only did it at age 28) winning 3 straight slams and probably would have won the Australian if it wasn't for injury, is it now the age of Nadal?

The scary thing is Nadal is so young and more talented that it could last even longer than the age of Federer and be even CLEARER domination than Federer (since Roger could never really defeat Rafa) I could forsee winning 3 or 4 slams a year for the next 4 years. Will long do you think Nadal will dominate the Tour? Do you think Nadal can easily surpass Roger's 16 slams?

I feel this was inevitable. Nadal would truly come of age.

selyoink
09-14-2010, 02:49 AM
Until Del Potro returns.

@Sweet Cleopatra
09-14-2010, 02:52 AM
I hope Rafa dominates.

Filo V.
09-14-2010, 02:52 AM
Yeah, right, when it comes to Del Potro. Dude has basically not played a healthy match the entire season. Anyone who thinks he's suddenly going to come back and dominate is kidding themselves. And what makes anyone think that they can't just turn the tables on him? Del Potro wasn't even the best player in the game when he fell injured. He's a great player, but he's still gotta to prove many things, his hype is greater than his accomplishments at this point.

Filo V.
09-14-2010, 02:53 AM
Anyway, to answer the question, I don't think Rafa will dominate the tour at all. I don't think he'll go without a loss for extended periods of times. We do know he's gonna likely be playing a reduced schedule for the rest of his career now. He's obviously the best player in the game today by a comfortable margin, but not wide enough where he's not above losing. Let's not get carried away.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 02:54 AM
He is done. This was the last year. besides, I rather see the world end in 2012 than Nadal on TV

DUN I LOVE
09-14-2010, 02:54 AM
and probably would have won the Australian if it wasn't for injury

:eek:

Johnny Groove
09-14-2010, 02:55 AM
Nadal will never dominate the way Fed did, winning 3 slams a year and losing 5 matches a year.

Keeping #1 for as many weeks as possible and wins as many slams as possible are probably his goals now.

Quakes
09-14-2010, 02:57 AM
Nadal will never dominate the way Fed did, winning 3 slams a year and losing 5 matches a year.

Sadly, no one remembers that. Not on this forum anyways.

wackykid
09-14-2010, 02:57 AM
he certainly is possible to make 1-2 slams a year and catch up with federer's total slam count or even #1 weeks... but i don't think he will dominate the way fed did in 2004-06... and you already mentioned about getting injured... it's not good sign to be getting injured at young age either... the older you get... the more prone to injuries you will be... and the slower your body recovers from injuries...

yes he surely have the time to surpass roger... but bjorn borg had 10 slams at age 24 but burned out and retired at 26...

the key to nadal not to do a borg is to maintain healthy and not overstress his body... especially when his style of play is punishing to the body... if he doesn't have all those biceps like federer... he probably can't sustain his playing style for an entire tournament...

regards,
wacky

LaFuria
09-14-2010, 04:27 AM
Until the end of time, when he takes his place upon mount olympus like the true SPARTAN warrior that he is.

VAMOS!

MalwareDie
09-14-2010, 04:29 AM
It already ended. The indoor season is nearing.

LaFuria
09-14-2010, 04:32 AM

Long live the Soderking?

The Magician
09-14-2010, 04:36 AM

Keeping #1 for as many weeks as possible and wins as many slams as possible are probably his goals now.

Go back to RF.com Fedtard :wavey: Rafa has never lost a match, he has only strategically tanked to make his victory today all the more sweeter! Rafa has the capacity to increase his serve speed 10-15 mph in a week at will, how will anyone stop his 300 mph serves?

Topspindoctor
09-14-2010, 04:36 AM
Nadal will win 4 GS next year :D

Ackms421
09-14-2010, 04:37 AM
Nadal may lose a few more matches a year during his prime than Federer did. But, for all the "domination" that went on, Federer's numbers certainly won't be better than Nadal's. For all the tournaments he won, Federer has less masters than Nadal and his slam tally could easily be challenged by Nadal. He was the most dominant of all time for sure, but he could never beat Nadal at the French. Nadal can't say that about anyone in particular. I'm sure he'll lose some tour matches, but he could easily peak for the slams and be more dominant than Fed was in that sense.

FormerRafaFan
09-14-2010, 05:01 AM

LOL.

I do agree with this though.

Arkulari
09-14-2010, 07:29 AM

this :)

Forehander
09-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Pretty much. Until Grigor Dimitrov rises into scene

born_on_clay
09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
3 more years

borracho
09-14-2010, 11:38 AM
100 years

Sophocles
09-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Go back to RF.com Fedtard :wavey: Rafa has never lost a match, he has only strategically tanked to make his victory today all the more sweeter! Rafa has the capacity to increase his serve speed 10-15 mph in a week at will, how will anyone stop his 300 mph serves?

That is the burning question.

The fact is, whenever Nadal wants to win a match, he wins it.

Unless he's injured.

But now his relentless magic-serve-improving will is about to render him immune to injury.

jcempire
09-14-2010, 04:47 PM
completely agree, probably would have won the 2009 RG and Wimbledon if it wasn't for injury which means Fed couldn't complete the career slam if Nadal wasn't injured in RG of 2009.

is it now the age of Nadal? Absolutely it is.

If you compare Nadal to Fed at same age. Nadal is way better

Nadal would do better than 16 Slams unless injuring issue

philosophicalarf
09-14-2010, 04:50 PM
....and probably would have won the Australian if it wasn't for injury, .....

He said he was perfectly healthy there, only got a sudden injury when two sets down vs Murray.

More generally, he's going to be number 1 as long as he's healthy, because clay gives him 4000-5000 points a year. He only needs to be competitive on grass and hard to keep number 1.

Over-much comment on the serve though - he served more effectively against Murray two years ago then he did yesterday (higher speeds too). He only serves 5-6mph slower at the French/Aussie, where it makes sense to do so.

jcempire
09-14-2010, 04:53 PM
He said he was perfectly healthy there, only got a sudden injury when two sets down vs Murray.

So which means he wasn't 100%. Right? probably 80% or less

philosophicalarf
09-14-2010, 08:05 PM
So which means he wasn't 100%. Right? probably 80% or less

No - he said he was fine, felt no pain until the moment (ie after losing 2 sets).

gbmkc
09-14-2010, 08:10 PM
How long do you think his body will hold out? Rafa's pushed himself harder than anyone on the tour, and realistically, he's going to pay for it. He may be Superman, and have a normal career with no real side effects. But if he's not (and I don't think he is) he doesn't have long before the bill comes due.

I'd look elsewhere for the next dominant player. Federer's through and Nole and Murray are mugs.

kindling
09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Players have gotten better since the Fed domination. I don't think it'll take as long for certain guys to figure out Rafa's game as it did for everyone to solve Fed.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-14-2010, 10:25 PM
honestly i think del potro has such a scary game i wouldn't wanna face him

o a hard court you have no chance if del potro is 100%

nadal will never beat a 100% del potro on a hard court

hilluis
09-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Roger was 27 when he got the career Grand Slam. He turned 28 in August last year, after the French Open. One wonders how long Uncle Toni wants to be doing this, I mean the guy has two or three young children of his own..

kronus12
09-14-2010, 10:59 PM
not if Del potro has something to say about it.

bad gambler
09-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Exactly 1 year, 7 months and 22 days

DJ Soup
09-15-2010, 03:47 AM
y'know, I do think Delpo can stop this Nadal.
However, I have my serious doubts about post-injury Delpo becoming anything like US09 Delpo, at least not soon.

careergrandslam
09-15-2010, 05:37 AM
delpotro is a fluke.
still yet to beat a fit and healthy nadal.

DuMa
09-15-2010, 05:47 AM
Del Potro and Nadal deserve their respect right now. and thus why I would love to see a rematch of 2 current USO champions next year in August. :)

ogre
09-15-2010, 05:50 AM
There are people who already believe Nadal to be the greatest ever. If he can stay at the current level for a few years...then maybe the majority of people will come to that point of view. To maintain being so clearly at the top for so long is what set Federso apart. While it is possible that Nadal will repeat this achievement, realistically odds are against it.

nadal_slam_king
09-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Until Del Potro returns.

Del Potro was good against the 100mph serve, but....

DorianGray7
09-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Has anyone forgotten Del Petro hasn't even played Tennis in almost a full year?

YOU can't recover from not playing from that long. He might spend ALL of next year just getting back to his form and even at Del Petro's best he was losing/or suffering match points against Federer who is a joke of a Tennis player.

HE has zero chance against Rafa when Federer has repeatedly schooled Del Petro in the past and had match point against him in the US Open final.

ossie
09-15-2010, 01:03 PM
if rafa wins ao 2011 he could end up winning 6 slams in a row...

Sophocles
09-15-2010, 01:04 PM

Del Potro has - or had - an extremely good return of serve. That was one of the main reasons he won the U.S.O.

JolánGagó
09-15-2010, 01:05 PM
For as long as he lives, i.e. forever.

Sillyrabbit
09-15-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't think he'll have a 3-4 year period of utter domination, but I think every year, he'll have his moments where he'll be shit hot for maybe 5-6 months, then fade slightly.

star
09-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't think Rafa will dominate the tour although he might be the number one player. I don't think he is dominating now. Quite a few other players have won important tournaments this year and even this summer.

Topspindoctor
09-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Has anyone forgotten Del Petro hasn't even played Tennis in almost a full year?

YOU can't recover from not playing from that long. He might spend ALL of next year just getting back to his form and even at Del Petro's best he was losing/or suffering match points against Federer who is a joke of a Tennis player.

HE has zero chance against Rafa when Federer has repeatedly schooled Del Petro in the past and had match point against him in the US Open final.

Yep. This isn't WTA where a player who was absent for ages can just waltz in and immediately reach slam finals or even win slam (Henin/Clijsters :o)

Jaz
09-15-2010, 02:00 PM

He was returning Federer's serve with a lot of ease in USO, he's a great returner.

nadal_slam_king
09-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't think Rafa will dominate the tour although he might be the number one player. I don't think he is dominating now. Quite a few other players have won important tournaments this year and even this summer.

Well, at least he'll win 5 or 6 slams in a row, that's close enough to 'dominating', and its twice as good as Federer's best slam sequences.

SheepleBuster
09-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Well, at least he'll win 5 or 6 slams in a row, that's close enough to 'dominating', and its twice as good as Federer's best slam sequences.

Who are we talking about again? Rafa won't win AO. I guaran-damn-tee it.

nadal_slam_king
09-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Who are we talking about again? Rafa won't win AO. I guaran-damn-tee it.

Yeah, his new serve might not work in Australia, oh well at least he's got half-decent groundstrokes :o