Will Nadal's victory give Federer motivation to push past 16? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Nadal's victory give Federer motivation to push past 16?

Johnny Groove
09-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Now that Nadal has secured the career slam and slam #9, it is clear that Roger's 16 is the next number in his sights.

Federer said he won't watch the final, I call bullshit. He knows exactly what happened and he knows Nadal is now 7 slams short. Still a long way, sure, but when he is healthy, who can beat Nadal?

Roger will want to get a little bit of a cushion between him and Nadal, especially seeing as Nadal is still only 24.

I predict Roger will bounce back next year and win at least one slam.

Quakes
09-14-2010, 03:59 AM
Legitimate point. Sampras did say that Agassi pushed him in this way.

Topspindoctor
09-14-2010, 05:34 AM
His best chance is AO+USO. Nadal owns clay and grass, so best chance for Federer is to win another hard court slam.

LaFuria
09-14-2010, 05:36 AM
No, he's finished.

MalwareDie
09-14-2010, 05:39 AM
Yes, but he will be unable to in 2011 because Soderling will win the Calender Year Grand Slam. He will need to wait until 2012.

theseth1119
09-14-2010, 05:40 AM
I still think Rogie's the favorite to win the AO, W, and USO in 2011, obviously Rafa's the favorite for the FO, but Rogie's still the favorite for the other 3.

guga2120
09-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Who cares? Hopefully it will motivate Murray and Novak to get better so they can beat him.

viruzzz
09-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Federer will rise to number one next year.
Nadal can't repeat this 2010... It was too amazing.
It's true, he faced nobodies or tired ones, his only reasonable final was Madrid.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 05:44 AM
I think he can win 2 or 3 but will it be enough to hold off Rafa. I mean if he is not going to stop Rafa from becoming GOAT, then why bother.

megadeth
09-14-2010, 05:48 AM
the difference here is that pete never felt threatened that andre would catch up on his slam count...

man, it would be a bummer for fed if his record is erased before he could even enjoy retirement...

Bilbo
09-14-2010, 05:51 AM
he will stay at 16 imo

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 05:52 AM
the difference here is that pete never felt threatened that andre would catch up on his slam count...

man, it would be a bummer for fed if his record is erased before he could even enjoy retirement...

Nah. If it did happen, it answers a lot of question. Rafa does own Roger record wise. If he passed Roger, then so be it. He is the better player. Let's face it. Roger has been very casual in the past couple of years, underestimating Nadal. He should have gone for all 3 slams he could have won. Like he gifted it to Del po last year or he gifted one to Nadal in AO. But now, I am not sure he can actually keep Rafa from catching him. Just know this. Things change very quickly. Rafa doesn't win the next 2 slams, and he might not reach 14

swisht4u
09-14-2010, 05:53 AM
I don't think Fed's worried about it, he only wants to do what he can.

FormerRafaFan
09-14-2010, 05:57 AM
I hope so. I want to see more of Fed. He isn't completely done yet. I'm sure he still has a couple of slams left to grab.

DuMa
09-14-2010, 06:50 AM
hoping for a fedal matchup at A02011 now :)

Macbrother
09-14-2010, 06:57 AM
It's hard to say because we don't know how much of this dip in form is physical (natural aging process + court mileage accumulated) versus mental. One can possibly be corrected, the other, cannot. 2011 should show us.

tennis2tennis
09-14-2010, 07:05 AM
the pressure will be all nadal in 2011!he's got soo much to defend, whereas roger will be expected to struggle ....interesting scenario...roger's at his peak had no porblem defending his slams he's is the only player in history to win at least two Grand Slam titles for four consecutive years...for rafa to be goat he'll have to carry that burden of expectation well in 2011

The Magician
09-14-2010, 07:14 AM
The only fair method would be if every slam Nadal won was taken away from Frauderer, otherwise the inflated stats of Fed make it appear he is the "GOAT" and in "another league" from Rafa when in fact this is pansy logic and it is Rafa who is the better player.

This way Rafa would have 18 slams and Fed would have 7, which seems much more fair :yeah:

tennis2tennis
09-14-2010, 07:21 AM
The only fair method would be if every slam Nadal won was taken away from Frauderer, otherwise the inflated stats of Fed make it appear he is the "GOAT" and in "another league" from Rafa when in fact this is pansy logic and it is Rafa who is the better player.

This way Rafa would have 18 slams and Fed would have 7, which seems much more fair :yeah:

Rafa got to fend of everyone not just roger 2 be considered goat:wavey:

ossie
09-14-2010, 08:55 AM
i hope it does, id like to see fed shine one more time and play his best tennis.

Arkulari
09-14-2010, 08:58 AM
i hope it does, id like to see fed shine one more time and play his best tennis.

don't expect 2006 JesusFed ;)

Goldenoldie
09-14-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't think Federer needs motivation in slams. Either he is still good enough or he isn't, and time will tell.

I notice nobody is talking about Nadal's knees at the moment.

Allez
09-14-2010, 09:37 AM
It's not a question of motivation. It's a question of ability. His footwork is not what it used to be. Mentally he is also regressing back to his pre Jesus Fed days. There's also the age factor...

nadal_slam_king
09-14-2010, 09:46 AM
It's not a question of motivation. It's a question of ability. His footwork is not what it used to be. Mentally he is also regressing back to his pre Jesus Fed days. There's also the age factor...

Exactly. And I doubt he lacked motivation in the US Open, after Rafa just took the last 2 slams. And the best he can 'hope' for is that Rafa doesn't play, because the matchup has never suited Federer and now Rafa is a force in all 4 slams it means there isn't any openings for Federer left.

Polikarpov
09-14-2010, 10:07 AM
One slam next year is realistic and doable.

I notice nobody is talking about Nadal's knees at the moment.

Because he's winning.

nastoff
09-14-2010, 10:13 AM
It might give him extra motivation to keep trying, that doesn't mean he will make it...his main competitor is 5 years younger, so it's not quite in his hands. All things considered, Nadal be there when he's not.
Plus we've seen him taking a lot of damage in the last couple of years to make it a serious doubt that he will bounce back. What if Nadal hadn't been injured?
Next year it's gonna be very tough getting to finals for him, it's not only Nadal now but a bunch of guys who can beat him consistently. Del Potro will be back next year to cast even more doubts.
I'm very disappointed at his season, he had a fantastic start at the Aussie and didn't get anywhere after that for his standards.

superganon
09-14-2010, 10:31 AM
i hope so. federer will win shanghai and sthlm open infront of his ghosts this year, soderling and berdych, then win basel and maybe some good result at paris to stack it up with a year end win at London.
Rafa must be careful here not to start thinkin about AO already...cus after him,things can happen

nadal_slam_king
09-14-2010, 10:47 AM
i hope so. federer will win shanghai and sthlm open infront of his ghosts this year, soderling and berdych, then win basel and maybe some good result at paris to stack it up with a year end win at London.
Rafa must be careful here not to start thinkin about AO already...cus after him,things can happen
Sorry I didn't understand the last part, what happens if he thinks about the AO?

nastoff
09-14-2010, 10:58 AM

is he definitely going to Stocholm Open...

born_on_clay
09-14-2010, 12:25 PM
He will have his shot again in 2011 for sure

Sophocles
09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
All those predicting countless slams for Nadal should look at Federer's career and see how much harder the last few slams come.

lazybear
09-14-2010, 12:39 PM
he will stay at 16 imo

I clearly remember that you said he will stay at 14 though. :)

tennis2tennis
09-14-2010, 01:18 PM
I clearly remember that you said he will stay at 14 though. :)

:worship:

Silvester
09-14-2010, 02:00 PM
I'd love to see at the very least 2 more slams from Roger, it would be nice if he could win another Wimby and another USO, dont' care as much for the AO but maybe one of those as well to really solidify his dominance. He still has a chance to win all 3 of those depending on his draw, his health, and which Fed shows up.

dombrfc
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Love to see more, but Im not so sure

Jaz
09-14-2010, 02:31 PM
All those predicting countless slams for Nadal should look at Federer's career and see how much harder the last few slams come.

I absolutely agree, one injury, loss of form or confidence and wham!

I mean Rafa has nine, he could race to 13/14 after that it will be a struggle for him.

Commander Data
09-14-2010, 02:58 PM
I have not doubt in my mind that Federer will do everything human possible to push beyond 16 in 2011. Lets see if he can.

FormerRafaFan
09-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Yes, but he will be unable to in 2011 because Soderling will win the Calender Year Grand Slam. He will need to wait until 2012.

LOL. This is just hilarious on so many levels!

tennizen
09-14-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't think Roger's motivation is ever in doubt. At 29 having broken most of the records, he was still a match point away from another GS final appearance. However, it is not easy in terms of actually being able to do it. Still think he has a couple of slams in him though.I thought he played really well the whole tournament. The best since Australia.

nadal_slam_king
09-15-2010, 07:57 AM

That's because he stopped trying to improve his game. His net-game especially.

Sophocles
09-15-2010, 12:43 PM
That's because he stopped trying to improve his game. His net-game especially.

Some truth in that, but it gets harder to improve your game when you get past 25.

marvin0211
09-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Some truth in that, but it gets harder to improve your game when you get past 25.

Agassi did that

nadal_slam_king
09-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Agassi did that

True, and Agassi also started very young on the pro circuit like Rafa :yeah:

DorianGray7
09-15-2010, 01:57 PM
No, he's finished.

Quoted for truth.

His recent piss-poor preformance makes even McEnroe and Brad Gilbert doubt Federer was even all that great in the past. He is certainly an old man who doesn't belong on the court now.

JolánGagó
09-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Never, he's thoroughly finished slamwise. He might take Estoril though.

Sophocles
09-15-2010, 02:18 PM
True, and Agassi also started very young on the pro circuit like Rafa :yeah:

Agassi DIDN'T do that actually (improve after 25). He played his best tennis in 1994/5, when he was 24/5; he was just unlucky Sampras was slightly better overall. He then recovered from a slump in 1997, & was able to get the year-end No. 1 in 1999 because Sampras's results were no longer as good. He certainly did start young & end old, but that was partly because his style of play was relatively economical, & partly because his various slumps and periods AWOL meant he had fewer miles on the clock than most players in their early thirties.

JolánGagó
09-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Federina's forum please.

Tennisman82
09-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Roger will want to get a little bit of a cushion between him and Nadal, especially seeing as Nadal is still only 24.

I predict Roger will bounce back next year and win at least one slam.

The fact Nadal is edging closer and closer to Federer's majors record is more than enough motivation to keep going. He’s still got the fire and passion, and is still incredibly tough to beat.

Tennisman82.

HarryMan
09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Federer certainly is very motivated. I don't know why people feel he isn't motivated. You cannot just reach a slam semifinal with less motivation. He wants to win each match and that's what has resulted in all his success today. Being motivated and having the ability to constantly keep a high level of play are two different things. Let's not forget Roger is not getting any younger.

Djokovic returned brilliantly that day, and was deadly from the baseline. Roger is 29 years old so staying with a power player like Djokovic will never be easy for him anymore (if Djokovic is on fire). Federer is more than capable of winning some slam titles in future but it is going to be very tough with guys like Djokovic, del Potro, Berdych, Murray (very soon), and many more youngsters coming up. But I can still see Roger getting past these guys (definitely not as often as he would have done in his prime).

And then there is the Nadal factor. If Nadal plays the way he is playing at the moment and reaches final constantly, Federer might never ever win a slam title again (beating Nadal might be just too much for Roger today, it was never easy back then itself).

Like I said, being motivated and having the ability to produce the goods is two different things.

Tennisman82
09-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Federer certainly is very motivated. I don't know why people feel he isn't motivated. You cannot just reach a slam semifinal with less motivation. He wants to win each match and that's what has resulted in all his success today. Being motivated and having the ability to constantly keep a high level of play are two different things. Let's not forget Roger is not getting any younger.

Djokovic returned brilliantly that day, and was deadly from the baseline. Roger is 29 years old so staying with a power player like Djokovic will never be easy for him anymore (if Djokovic is on fire). Federer is more than capable of winning some slam titles in future but it is going to be very tough with guys like Djokovic, del Potro, Berdych, Murray (very soon), and many more youngsters coming up. But I can still see Roger getting past these guys (definitely not as often as he would have done in his prime).

And then there is the Nadal factor. If Nadal plays the way he is playing at the moment and reaches final constantly, Federer might never ever win a slam title again (beating Nadal might be just too much for Roger today, it was never easy back then itself).

Like I said, being motivated and having the ability to produce the goods is two different things.

A resurgence can still occur for Federer (& let’s not forget he’s the reigning AO champ!). There will be periods where his peak game will reappear and he could be blessed with a very soft draw avoiding all the top guys. And even though Fed is past his physical peak, his body has structurally held up well, so he has that going for him too.

It will be intriguing to observe the tour in an era where Federer is no longer the target and representative of the game. But there’s no doubt he has a few more slams in him, and if he wins 3 or 4 in the next few years I will be very impressed.

Tennisman82.

Henry Kaspar
09-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Sure, Federer looked totally unmotivated recently :-~

nadal_slam_king
09-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Agassi DIDN'T do that actually (improve after 25). He played his best tennis in 1994/5, when he was 24/5; he was just unlucky Sampras was slightly better overall. He then recovered from a slump in 1997, & was able to get the year-end No. 1 in 1999 because Sampras's results were no longer as good. He certainly did start young & end old, but that was partly because his style of play was relatively economical, & partly because his various slumps and periods AWOL meant he had fewer miles on the clock than most players in their early thirties.

Agassi won 3 slams in a year
- WON French Open 99
- Wimbledon Finalist 99
- WON US Open 99
- WON Aust Open 2000 (beat Sampras)

I know Agassi struck the ball in a more entertaining aggressive manner in 94/95, but he was clearly a better player in 1999 because his stamina was greater and his defense was greater, no doubt. If he played like 1999 for his entire career he'd have won more slams than by playing his 1995 style (the streaky style).

Sophocles
09-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Agassi won 3 slams in a year
- WON French Open 99
- Wimbledon Finalist 99
- WON US Open 99
- WON Aust Open 2000 (beat Sampras)

I know Agassi struck the ball in a more entertaining aggressive manner in 94/95, but he was clearly a better player in 1999 because his stamina was greater and his defense was greater, no doubt. If he played like 1999 for his entire career he'd have won more slams than by playing his 1995 style (the streaky style).

Transitional era.

marvin0211
09-15-2010, 04:22 PM

I disagree with that, yes you may said he is better in 94/95 in terms of playing his best (really peak form starts between 23~27), but there is a lot besides that in tennis, Agassi improve his physical as well as mental aspect of the game, so he is a better player than before

Sophocles
09-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I disagree with that, yes you may said he is better in 94/95 in terms of playing his best (really peak form starts between 23~27), but there is a lot besides that in tennis, Agassi improve his physical as well as mental aspect of the game, so he is a better player than before

The Agassi who was competing with & often beating peak Sampras & guys like Stich was better than the Agassi who was still losing to declining Sampras & beating Medvedev.

nadal_slam_king
09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
The Agassi who was competing with & often beating peak Sampras & guys like Stich was better than the Agassi who was still losing to declining Sampras & beating Medvedev.

Agassi was always going to lose to Sampras at Wimbledon, but who would you bet your house on to win the US Open, Agassi 95 or Agassi 99?

Agassi 99 was a machine. Agassi 95 was a time-bomb.

Agassi 99 didn't lose serve once during the 5-set Final vs Todd Martin. And he never looked tired.

And then he beat Sampras in 2000 AO.

Ouragan
09-15-2010, 10:20 PM
I like the idea of Federer being scared for his 16 slam record and thus working harder to add another few. Must suck to think his record once thought unbeatable now doesn't look so grand.

What next, Fed's 22 straight slam semis? :)