CBS/ESPN Ruins another ceremony [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

CBS/ESPN Ruins another ceremony

tennisfan856
09-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Just as he was hoisting that baby up, we get introduced to the chargers and chiefs. Real classy American television, he only achieved something that hasn't been done in forever.

brent-o
09-14-2010, 03:18 AM
I thought that was really rude too. No signoff from the announcers, no slow-mo montage of the match, he didn't even hold it for more than a sec or two before it went to black. WTH?

tennisfan856
09-14-2010, 03:19 AM
You could tell that Mcatee rushed Rafa's interview because he knew he had a minute left. Just no class whatsoever, who cares about a football game in the first week of the season.

Silvester
09-14-2010, 03:20 AM
TSN2 cut out pretty quick as well

scoobs
09-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Is this a surprise? Their presentations are always shoddy and lazy and offputting - they barely even bothered to put Nadal's amazing achievement here in any sort of context at all.

Nope, take your photos and fuck off, we have adverts to show and then poker.

tennisfan856
09-14-2010, 03:22 AM
you are right, they don't even have the decency to finish the match on regular television so that american slobs get to watch reruns of year old episodes.

WarriorA
09-14-2010, 03:22 AM
Well, at least it's Am football and not How I Met Your Mother :rolleyes: like last year.

DuMa
09-14-2010, 03:23 AM
you just werent smart enough to watch the rest of it on USOPEN.org ;)

Mechlan
Tennis is a second tier sport in the States, get used to it.

Johnny Groove
It is always a disgrace. Nothing new.

moon language
Agreed. Horrible. Bill Macatee also cut Rafa off a bit in order to get him to hoist the trophy before they cut.

e476
09-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Terrible, but I'm not surprised. The scheduling for this match was way, way off, and no way would they let it interfere with football.

tennisfan856
09-14-2010, 03:25 AM

I was contemplating the stream if they were going to push this to ESPN Classic around 10:15. I agree with you Mech that people here regard it as a second tier sport, but it's the Kansas City Chiefs lol. Only people watching that are gamblers and bar drunks.

andylovesaustin
09-14-2010, 03:27 AM
Yeah... I mean c'mon.. I like football, but the darn game hadn't even started yet. I don't know ESPN couldn't join the game a little late at least.

It's as shame tennis gets no respect in the US..

smitty8
09-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Very tacky ESPN. :(

Macbrother
09-14-2010, 03:39 AM
USOpen has always had the absolute worst ceremonies in the sport, hardly befitting a grand slam. But, such is the status of tennis in America.

djb84xi
09-14-2010, 03:42 AM
ESPN needs their ass kicked for doing that. That game could've waited a few more minutes, besides, no one was missing anything since it hadn't started yet anyway. They should issue an apology for interrupting a very special moment for tennis fans. It was rude and should NEVER happen again.

The Magician
09-14-2010, 03:42 AM
I like to imagine some brave tennis fan in the booth cutting off the feed knowing he'd get fired for the sake of tennis :angel:

ATP_Fan28342
09-14-2010, 03:44 AM

lol. as soon as they cut it off on espn, i logged onto usopen.org to watch the rest of the ceremony. :)

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 03:44 AM
The only thing CBS did right. Get this disgusting spectacle off my TV

swellde
09-14-2010, 03:45 AM
LOL, the espn Classic finish would have been great. I spend $110 a month for Dish Network and can't see the final because my local CBS was showing Oprah. I move to my friends house who has Directv but doesn't get local networks so he gets NY and LA stations. Then it starts getting close to 10:15 est and the match is about to move to ESPN Classic and both dish and directv put that channel in a ridiculous sports package that no one pays for.

selyoink
09-14-2010, 03:46 AM
Why? Did they show Nadull get the trophy and give his speech? If they did then that is truly disgraceful coverage.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 03:47 AM
Make no mistake about it. This filth of ceremony on TV made me want to puke. I want to thank CBS and everyone else for ending it short. Thank you!

gulzhan
09-14-2010, 03:47 AM
I like to imagine some brave tennis fan in the booth cutting off the feed knowing he'd get fired for the sake of tennis :angel:

You can't post anything on GM until you keep your promise and change your avatar to Rafa's picture. Mere taking off your sig with the famous promise IS NOT enough.

Ben.
09-14-2010, 03:48 AM
We got a bit more in the UK, we saw him taking pics, biting the trophy and signing autographs for a while.

tennisfan856
09-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Why? Did they show Nadull get the trophy and give his speech? If they did then that is truly disgraceful coverage.

just as he was about to lift his trophy, they gave the tv audience a second and then without warning, they blacked out and went straight to some crappy kansas city game.

and cyrus, calm down man lol.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 03:51 AM
just as he was about to lift his trophy, they gave the tv audience a second and then without warning, they blacked out and went straight to some crappy kansas city game.

and cyrus, calm down man lol.

This was like Osama bin laden dancing salsa on TV. Absolutely lost my mind and if my TV was not heavy, it'd be out of the window already

selyoink
09-14-2010, 03:55 AM

Good for them. Sounds like they made the right call even if they erred by showing a shred of the ceremony.

Matt H
09-14-2010, 03:56 AM
LOL, the espn Classic finish would have been great. I spend $110 a month for Dish Network and can't see the final because my local CBS was showing Oprah. I move to my friends house who has Directv but doesn't get local networks so he gets NY and LA stations. Then it starts getting close to 10:15 est and the match is about to move to ESPN Classic and both dish and directv put that channel in a ridiculous sports package that no one pays for.

I was also watching the clock...knowing that ESPN was planning on cutting me off at 10:15 pm. EDT (making a switch to ESPN Classic...which so few of us have). How COULD they make such a decision??? This is the final of the US Open...and Rafa was going for tennis history!

Both NFL games were supposed to be on regular ESPN anyway...but evidently the ESPN muckety-mucks realized by halftime of the football game (and 3rd set of tennis) that the football game was likely to run long, overlapping with the second. Their contract with the NFL must be much stronger and more secure than their deal with the Open (and last-minute showing of the rain-delayed Open final), but still, they made the decision to put an historic moment in tennis on the back burner.

careergrandslam
09-14-2010, 03:58 AM
america is run ragged by the american media.
every aspect of american life is controlled by powerful media and powerful businessmen.

normal people are just puppets.

sad.

but atleast rafa got most of his speech in, so atleast thats something.

Gretchen.
09-14-2010, 04:00 AM
And yet that old hag who's the head of the USTA and can't say anything without reading off her cards continues to tell us this is the best tournament in the world, yeah not really when you let yourself be controlled by CBS. :o

tennisfan856
09-14-2010, 04:01 AM
america is run ragged by the american media.
every aspect of american life is controlled by powerful media and powerful businessmen.

normal people are just puppets.

sad.

but atleast rafa got most of his speech in, so atleast thats something.

for me, it all started with how they handled yesterday's rain delay. I knew that if they were willing to postpone the match a 2-3 hours before it should be called, cbs will do anything to get sitcom reruns on the air instead of a tennis match. Why even have the rights to this sport if you aren't going to do it right.

KarlyM
09-14-2010, 04:14 AM
It's nice to know that re-runs of CBS shows and the kickoff to an NFL week 1 game takes precedence over a Grand Slam final. :rolleyes:

And why couldn't ESPN take the damn ticker off?! They took it off when they put the NFL game on! :(

And yet that old hag who's the head of the USTA and can't say anything without reading off her cards continues to tell us this is the best tournament in the world, yeah not really when you let yourself be controlled by CBS. :o Ugh, that woman is annoying. :rolleyes:
The only thing CBS did right was kick Dick Enberg out as MC of the trophy ceremony. :yeah:

allpro
09-15-2010, 05:17 AM
shambolic. an absolute disgrace and embarrassment to professional sports :mad:

straitup
09-15-2010, 05:27 AM
It's nice to know that re-runs of CBS shows and the kickoff to an NFL week 1 game takes precedence over a Grand Slam final. :rolleyes:

And why couldn't ESPN take the damn ticker off?! They took it off when they put the NFL game on! :(

Ugh, that woman is annoying. :rolleyes:
The only thing CBS did right was kick Dick Enberg out as MC of the trophy ceremony. :yeah:

They probably thought that with a CBS scoreboard on display, they needed to make it "theirs" :rolleyes:

I changed the channel as soon as the match ended, kinda glad I avoided the horrific awards ceremony again. Last year was terrible though in terms of treatment of the players (aka Del Potro).

I hate the coverage tennis gets here especially on ESPN, CBS, and NBC, but I've grown used to it just because it'll never change. Until all the football fans start complaining that tennis should've gotten fair coverage and should've overlapped through some of the football coverage, it won't change. But yes, I agree with everything said here...I don't think too many people cared too much about SD-KC football. I'm glad it wasn't like Hawaii-Nevada or something like that that shortened the awards ceremony because that would've caused even more uproar

.-Federers_Mate-.
09-15-2010, 12:16 PM
good on them.

tennis2tennis
09-15-2010, 12:24 PM
love the French one with the national anthem and the podium...love the british for sparing us an eassy's worth of sponsors name...but the US open always makes me cringe, they're always in a fucking rush

Henry Kaspar
09-15-2010, 03:35 PM
What annoyed me is that this US Open lady has to say "this is the greatest tennis tournament of the world". This is not only disrespectful towards Brits, French and Aussies, it is also just untrue. The US Open is one of the four greatest tournaments in the world, no less, but also no more.

This is the attitude that makes the US unpopular abroad--and totally unnecessarily so.

River
09-15-2010, 04:08 PM
lol

One thing I can't defend the US Open for is their stupid way of scheduling just for the sake of TV. The US Open has such a rich history, but it's obvious who gets the first week of the US Open and who gets the second. The first week is just fine. The Second Week is all about TV and the scheduling fucking sucks.

But it was very disrespectful to Rafa especially after his achievement. It STILL wasn't as bad as last year. I'm still a bit angry how they tried to cut Del Potro off his speech.

"Okay, Del Potro wants to say something, but we only have a minute left..."

Why? Wtf are we in a rush for? What the f*ck is more important IN THAT VERY STADIUM that you have to rush the goddamn champion? HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER DOES NOT PLAY IN A MINUTE IN ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM YOU DUMBF*CK.

screenerluv
09-15-2010, 06:05 PM
the uso is the worst of the majors
always has been, always will be

tennizen
09-15-2010, 06:07 PM
lol

One thing I can't defend the US Open for is their stupid way of scheduling just for the sake of TV. The US Open has such a rich history, but it's obvious who gets the first week of the US Open and who gets the second. The first week is just fine. The Second Week is all about TV and the scheduling fucking sucks.

But it was very disrespectful to Rafa especially after his achievement. It STILL wasn't as bad as last year. I'm still a bit angry how they tried to cut Del Potro off his speech.

"Okay, Del Potro wants to say something, but we only have a minute left..."

Why? Wtf are we in a rush for? What the f*ck is more important IN THAT VERY STADIUM that you have to rush the goddamn champion? HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER DOES NOT PLAY IN A MINUTE IN ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM YOU DUMBF*CK.

Agree about the Del Potro bit. Most disgusting thing I have ever seen at a trophy ceremony.

star
09-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Agree about the Del Potro bit. Most disgusting thing I have ever seen at a trophy ceremony.

And totally unnecessary. So what? Let him speak in Spanish. He took more time explaining why DPo needed to be quick than DPo would have taken speaking in Spanish. And if he got cut off speaking in Spanish that would have been better than what did happen. :(

nadal_slam_king
09-15-2010, 06:48 PM
US Open continued its tradition of being the worst slam in the world. Glad its over and done with now!

star
09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
US Open continued its tradition of being the worst slam in the world. Glad its over and done with now!

I can't agree with that. It's a great spectacle. I love it.

I love it even more now! :lol:

JolánGagó
09-15-2010, 06:58 PM

This. Total crap tournament.

careergrandslam
09-15-2010, 07:01 PM
US Open = worst tournament in the world.

tennizen
09-15-2010, 07:04 PM
I love the USO and I consider it's atmosphere to be much more fun and lively than FO and Wimbledon. But the super-Saturday( and generally submission to TV channel wishes) and the horrible trophy ceremonies can be completely avoided.

BackhandMissile
09-15-2010, 07:33 PM
This was mild compard to last year.

The way Del Potro was treated was shocking. Even watching the clip again and knowing what happens still leaves a shock.

The organizing team seriously needs a rehaul.

Tommy_Vercetti
09-15-2010, 08:19 PM
I forget which year it was when Federer won and they had like the worst presenter ever. He said something like: "They said it would never be easy, but you proved that it is easy" and he laughed all stupidly and Federer looked at him like "Gee, what an idiot." I think it might have been the year he was playing Roddick. And that guy said a bunch of other asinine things and laughed idiotically. I think he was just some important guy with the sponsors and never watched tennis before.

tennisfan856
09-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I remember that guy and it was against Roddick. That title was in the middle of that stretch run fed had so everyone worshiped him like a god. I think Roddick played him tight though, hewitt was the one that got crushed in 04 or 05.

delpiero7
09-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Well, at least it's Am football and not How I Met Your Mother :rolleyes: like last year.

Hey, How I Met Your Mother rocks! Even so, it was a disgrace the way Delpo was cut of. The guy that was hosting the ceremony tried to be a little more civilised than the absolute clown midget who presented in last year.

This is another reason why Sky Sports rocks (even though we have to put up with Greg Rusedski). You Americans really have it bad when it comes to tennis coverage