Should USO be stripped of Grand Slam Status? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should USO be stripped of Grand Slam Status?

prafull
09-13-2010, 10:19 PM

No funds to build Roof, No funds to purchase covers, Stupid scheduling and 1 million other reasons.

Tommy_Vercetti
09-13-2010, 10:24 PM
They have the funds. They would just rather have the money be used for projects that no doubt make it easy to steal money.

And how the f--k does the USTA spend $250 million on developing players? It's not like they get paid. And it's expensive to play.

And I find it hard to believe that it costs $250 million to build a freakin roof. Get another estimate.

.-Federers_Mate-.
09-13-2010, 10:24 PM
no. What a clown

brent-o
09-13-2010, 10:25 PM

No funds to build Roof, No funds to purchase covers, Stupid scheduling and 1 million other reasons.

You sure you didn't leave out your main reason for this thread? A certain player from Mallorca doing well here?

allpro
retractable roofs should be mandatory for all slams and masters 1000's.

MalwareDie
The USO should keep its Grand Slam status to let the other organizers feel good about themselves.

cloudeleven
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Where would it be moved to? India? :haha:

lalaland
09-13-2010, 10:28 PM
CBS should tell USO that this is BS, 2 years in a roll they wasted the prime slot on Sunday because the final got rained out. How much they pay for the right for this event only to see USO can't deliver the final on Super Sunday? They should impose a penalty on USO. We all know that USO won't care what the players/fans say, but if the network tell them to do it, we'll see a roof within a year.

coonster14
09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
If they can build a retractable roof on Arthur Ashe Stadium, then I got no issues with it, but they don't, so I seriously think that the US Open is the biggest joke out of all the majors.

born_on_clay
09-13-2010, 10:30 PM
it should - move the final Grand Slam into Madrid and make NY a clay 1000 in USA

Xristos
09-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Agreed.

prafull
09-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Forget about Roof. Where are the covers? Get the covers and you can avoid one hour long Drying procedure after rain.

CCBH
09-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Why the f**k don't they have covers for the courts? Just plain shoddy. I bet the stupid organisers throw in as many intangibles as possible into the mix in an effort to maintain the status of 'toughest major to win', and why not, when tennis is the last thing of concern here?

Singularity
09-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes, they should turn it into a 250 event.

DartMarcus
09-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah, it should be moved to Winnipeg, so that Ty Dyllelo could get a main draw WC there.

Mechlan
09-13-2010, 10:46 PM
We all know that USO won't care what the players/fans say, but if the network tell them to do it, we'll see a roof within a year.

:yeah:

Ben.
09-13-2010, 10:48 PM
The rain is just one of those things, but from the complaints on here it seems you have to deal with poor coverage, in the same country, which seems ludicrous.

SheepleBuster
09-13-2010, 10:51 PM

Absolutely. We suck. Everything in America sucks. Just take it to China or somewhere else. We don't care about tennis. CBS cares more about three and half men. :devil:

Schu
09-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Why the f**k don't they have covers for the courts? Just plain shoddy. I bet the stupid organisers throw in as many intangibles as possible into the mix in an effort to maintain the status of 'toughest major to win', and why not, when tennis is the last thing of concern here?

Apparently covers on a hard court don't do that much good because the moisture just gets trapped under the cover and the heat from the court results in condensation on the court if covered. At least that's what I've heard but seems to me it would at least not have the huge puddles on the court when the covers are removed. THe USTA is cheap and brainless but not THAT bad. There must be some reason for no covers?????

Topspin Forehand
09-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Move it out. I hate this tournament.

jt1224x0
09-13-2010, 10:53 PM
That will make Federer have 5 less slams:devil::devil:

bjurra
09-13-2010, 10:55 PM
No tournaments in the US have covers. Lets ban tennis in the US. Or even better, lets ban the US and A.

bjurra
09-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Apparently covers on a hard court don't do that much good because the moisture just gets trapped under the cover and the heat from the court results in condensation on the court if covered. At least that's what I've heard but seems to me it would at least not have the huge puddles on the court when the covers are removed. THe USTA is cheap and brainless but not THAT bad. There must be some reason for no covers?????

I am sure mosture is a problem but I am also sure covers are still better than no covers. I doubt there is a proper reason for no covers.

guptaji
09-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Where would it be moved to? India? :haha:

Yes! Outsource it to India. We would still call it USO. Organizers will have an accent but they will be painted white and their names will be Adam, John, etc.

moon language
09-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Just get rid of hardcourts. Switch it to grass - a better surface and they can then use covers at least.

mongo
09-13-2010, 11:01 PM

Yeah, we should outsource the US Open to India.

The Magician
09-13-2010, 11:03 PM
They definitely need to give them an ultimatum. AO is the best slam now because there is pressure from China to make it not suck; Spain should start pressuring the FO and Argentina or Canada should pressure the USO.

Timariot
09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Look, if they build the roof, then there won't be as much money for USTA exec salaries and luxury suites.

You gotta have your priorities straight.

guptaji
09-13-2010, 11:11 PM
I can understand the dilemma here. Tennis is not so big in US. Do we spend millions on a roof that may or may not be used or do we spend those millions on promoting the game? I am sure if organizers could go back in time, they would have built a roof 3 years ago - payoff would be obvious.

Fed Fan
09-13-2010, 11:13 PM
The USTA is one of the most self-serving organisations around. As you say, building a roof over the Arthur Ashe stadium will mean fewer junkets for themselves. Furthermore, the USTA happily sacrifices the enjoyment of the tournament for fans and players with their hyper-capitalist management. Poor scheduling is a bummer, but the USTA won't start caring until its bank balance lowers sufficiently to risk jeopardising their freebies.

william_renshaw
09-13-2010, 11:17 PM
TV dictates everything apparently. Hence why fed-djoko was on 2nd, why they play the semis on saturday and the final on sunday, and why Dick asshole Enberg grabbed the microphone from Del Potro last year and wouldn't let him say a few words in Spanish to his fans.

mongo
09-13-2010, 11:19 PM
The USTA is one of the most self-serving organisations around. As you say, building a roof over the Arthur Ashe stadium will mean fewer junkets for themselves. Furthermore, the USTA happily sacrifices the enjoyment of the tournament for fans and players with their hyper-capitalist management. Poor scheduling is a bummer, but the USTA won't start caring until its bank balance lowers sufficiently to risk jeopardising their freebies.

Jesus, how many threads do I have to post this in? You guys are completely ignorant. It would be cheaper to build another stadium than put a lid on Ashe. What they need is loads of cash money to buy land and build a new stadium, which is exactly what they are grappling with right now.

Just because you are completely ignorant doesn't make you right.

Ivanatis
09-13-2010, 11:20 PM
yeah they definitely have the money to do necessary changes
if it stays like that, I wouldn't mind the strip, by far the GS I could most easily do without

dan_the_man1983
09-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Agreed.

Cat9
09-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Oh for christ's sakes, if rain delays due to lack of a roof means GS status should be stripped, Wimbledon would have been doomed from the start.

Why the f**k don't they have covers for the courts? Just plain shoddy.

How many times does this question have to be answered? Asked and answered a million times already.

CCBH
09-13-2010, 11:31 PM

Exactly, you just roll out the blowers then and dry the courts out for 10 min. As it is now, it takes forever to dry them out.

Cat9
09-13-2010, 11:36 PM
With the huge squeegees, they've really sped up the drying time. I've been watching them and they've done it very fast.

Cat9
09-13-2010, 11:38 PM
yeah they definitely have the money to do necessary changes

Why does everyone assume they are rolling in cash? Tennis is a niche sport in the US-the idea they have piles of money is absurd. Ah, almost done, time to watch Rafa finish off poor Djokovic.

nadal_slam_king
09-13-2010, 11:43 PM
I like the US Open, the WIND is my favorite part of it. The rain delays too are very good, they make the match more dramatic. The variables make it what it is, love it :yeah:

tennisfan856
09-13-2010, 11:49 PM
It's very simple what needs to be on the tour. The U.S Open series needs to be reduced to only one 1000 tourny. Toronto and Cincy back-to-back is ridiculous, and you can see why some of the top players were holding back...aka Nadal. This is also a drawback for players who are scrapping for points, and they play nonstop la through new haven. It finally caught up to the organizers and the tour that these players have played too much tennis, and it showed in the heat.

The tournament is fine, but better scheduling of the series and night sessions need to be suggested or we will be seeing this every year.

LaFuria
09-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Move it to either Canada or Argentina.

Ivanatis
09-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Why does everyone assume they are rolling in cash? Tennis is a niche sport in the US-the idea they have piles of money is absurd. Ah, almost done, time to watch Rafa finish off poor Djokovic.

were you sent here by the organizers to calm the situation? you can impossibly argue they have the money to do necessary changes

martinatreue
09-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Move it to Switzerland :D

out_here_grindin
09-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Has any player ever actually said they dislike the US Open?

Waterfox
09-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Totally!

They should build a Mosque in the middle of the Stadium!

BigJohn
09-14-2010, 01:23 AM

That is what I have always heard, and it makes sense. It is not the puddles that are a problem as those clear away quickly, it is getting the whole court dry enough to play safely. Covers would save only a few minutes.

BigJohn
09-14-2010, 01:29 AM
Move it to either Canada or Argentina.

I vote for Argentina.

Why would Canada deserve it?

Ozone
09-14-2010, 01:41 AM
:haha:

17 million purse, and basically 1 rain out day and a mini delay tonight. idk, pretty good in my book. all the pros love it btw, may wanna ask the players. not tards on mtf

Serenidad
09-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Now that Nadal is going to win it, definitely.

Doggy
09-14-2010, 02:29 AM
based on the women's final alone, it should be degraded to a challenger's event

Quakes
09-14-2010, 02:51 AM
It would be cheaper to build another stadium than put a lid on Ashe. What they need is loads of cash money to buy land and build a new stadium, which is exactly what they are grappling with right now.

Surely renovating Ashe is cheaper than buying more land for another stadium in Queens? And isn't Ashe the biggest tennis stadium in the world? Are they planning to build a bigger one?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

paseo
09-14-2010, 02:54 AM
What? That old lady in the trophy ceremony said that US Open is the greatest tournament in the world. You don't strip anything from the greatest tournament in the world now, do you?

Filo V.
09-14-2010, 03:25 AM
No.

Filo V.
09-14-2010, 03:27 AM
US Open has the atmosphere, exciting matches and the New York glam that makes it an attractive tournament that anyone would enjoy if they allowed themselves to.

Mjau!
09-14-2010, 03:32 AM
I for one refuse to recognize the USO as a Grand Slam tournament. I trust others will follow suite.

allpro
09-14-2010, 03:38 AM
i want to see mjau's butch haircut so bad.

Chang.Mike.Chang
09-23-2010, 06:49 PM
I remember treading this/ It is so ridiculous to suggest removing one of the 3 best slams on the calender/ New York is a great city, players of all generations have loved it. Where do you want to move it? Argentina? That would be a huge stepdown in terms of prestige. I wonder if TV crew would even consider going to Argentina where they could die of water poisoning.

r2473
09-23-2010, 07:07 PM
It should be moved to UMAG.

oranges
09-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Yes, give it to Umag :rocker2:

oranges
09-23-2010, 07:08 PM
It should be moved to UMAG.

:lol: See, there's consensus on the issue

r2473
09-23-2010, 07:18 PM
:lol: See, there's consensus on the issue

The only problem I see is that UMAG is already seen by players and fans as the most important tournament of the year. If we grant it "Slam" status too, it will pretty much make the rest of the schedule meaningless.

BAMJ6
09-24-2010, 01:03 AM
If they ever do that, i'll never follow ATP tennis ever again. Andre Agassi was my favorite player and the US Open is my favorite slam now (Wimbledon during Andre's career, now number 2)

That hate should be reserved for the bastard of the slams

Roddickominator
09-24-2010, 01:05 AM
If they ever do that, i'll never follow ATP tennis ever again. Andre Agassi was my favorite player and the US Open is my favorite slam now (Wimbledon during Andre's career, now number 2)

That hate should be reserved for the bastard of the slams

No worries Bam, the USO is in better shape than any of the other Slams. It isn't going anywhere.

Action Jackson
09-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Funny thread.

Tommy_Vercetti
09-24-2010, 01:07 AM
If they would only get rid of the people in charge. That's the problem.

That and finding someone who could accept a temporary roof instead of building a $250 million dollar monstrosity.

careergrandslam
09-24-2010, 01:30 AM
yes ban it and give it to china.

Chang.Mike.Chang
09-24-2010, 01:37 AM
One of the coolest things about the big tennis events is the location. they are all in the best cities in the world. People want to go even if not for tennis, it why you see celebrities in the stands in New york. why woudl you want to move it too somewhere not as glamorous as new york? Paris,London,New York,Melbourne.

If they ever add a 5th it should be in Beijing

Filo V.
09-24-2010, 03:39 AM
Tennis needs America for it's best interests as a sport and to keep the game at a strong level worldwide.

heya
09-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Federererer loves easy rides in the short bus. He's cheery this year. (http://adf.ly/4612/banner/www.youtube.com/ATPWorldTour#p/u/24/dsMwOEiXufc)

Topspindoctor
09-24-2010, 09:14 AM
No.