Who has a better chance of finishing with a + H2H against Nadal? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who has a better chance of finishing with a + H2H against Nadal?

SheepleBuster
09-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Out of all the young guns or people who expected to be something out there, who is going to beat Nadal more than Nadal beats them (Federer has a positive record against almost all except Nadal, Murray, Simon and a couple of other guys. So here is my question. Who has the best chance of finishing positive (with the best record) against Nadal:

A)Murray
B)Djokovic
C)Del Potro
D)Cilic
E)Berdych
F)Monfils
G)Gulbis
H)Other...

This thread is not about bashing Nadal. Since he is clearly #1, it'd be interesting to guess who'd be his Kryptonite.

Priam
09-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Probably Murray. I doubt they play deep in clay tourneys so Andy will have a chance to even up that h2h on hard.

superganon
09-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Out of all the youngsters out there, who is going to beat Nadal more than Nadal beats them (Federer has a positive record against almost all except Nadal, Murray, Simon and a couple of other guys. So here is my question. Who has the best chance of finishing positive (with the best record) against Nadal:

A)Murray
B)Djokovic
C)Del Potro
D)Cilic
E)Berdych
F)Monfils
G)Gulbis
H)Other...

This thread is not about bashing Nadal. Since he is clearly #1, it'd be interesting to guess who'd be his Kryptonite.

BERDYCH=youngster?

SheepleBuster
09-13-2010, 12:39 PM
BERDYCH=youngster?

Well. I mean the guys who were expected to be something. I mean Monfils will never learn to play the right way but still

Quadruple Tree
09-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Del Potro if he is healthy. Nadal's repetitive, heavy topspin ground strokes are right into Del Potro's strike zone and allow him to get into a rhythm hitting the ball.

theseth1119
09-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm thinking Del Potro honestly. The gap is definitely closing in there.

Jaz
09-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Murray and Delpo

azmad_88
09-13-2010, 12:58 PM
DEL Potro and maybe Gulbis

peribsen
09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Delpo and Murray are the ones with a better chance. That doesn't mean they'll manage to do it.

Delpo has the strong point somebody mentioned earlier (Nadal's topspin playing into his comfort zone), but he has the liability of his movement, he is very big and heavy and tires easily; if Nadal manages to move him back and forth, he can break him. It would be great if Delpo returns to his 09 level and plays several matches against an in-form Rafa. Then we could all see if his 62 62 62 bashing of an underpar Rafael was circumstancial or the real thing.

Murray does have the weapons to harm Nadal, but he is too brittle on the really big matches, plus WB-10 showed us he is very far from owning Nadal.

Gulbis is Gulbis: he can play like firecrackers or disolve like a lump of sugar in hot water. May beat anyone on an on-day, but is mentally no match for Rafa's consistency.

Nole also has a good chance, and I think deserves to get a couple of good wins over Rafa, maybe starting today!! (hope not). But I don't think he'll ever be consistent enough, on all surfaces, to threat Rafa for nr1. We'll have to wait and see. However, this thread is about H2H, and he is probably too far behind to turn it around (me thinks and hopes!).

iriraz
09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Another guy who has a chance to finish with a positive record against Nadal and is not on the list is Davydenko.He is not that young anymore but he is 5-4 against Nadal

Quadruple Tree
09-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Then we could all see if his 62 62 62 bashing of an underpar Rafael was circumstancial or the real thing.

Because Nadal lost doesn't mean he was underpar. He had only dropped 2 sets in the previous rounds, gave a bagel to Gonzo and Kiefer, and a breadstick to Monfils. Del Potro is just a better player on hard courts as evidenced by his three straight victories over Nadal on that surface.

Forehander
09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
In this order:

Djokovic
Del Potro
Murray

And I'd put Djokovic much ahead of the others. Not necessarily because he's better than the other two, but simply because he's got all the shots and the right tactic to rattle Nadal on all surfaces. However with that said if they keep on meeting Nadal on clay or grass court there really ain't much chance.

Start da Game
09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
none.......djokovic and d pot might manage to stay close to him though.......

born_on_clay
09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
del Potro

star
09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Because Nadal lost doesn't mean he was underpar. He had only dropped 2 sets in the previous rounds, gave a bagel to Gonzo and Kiefer, and a breadstick to Monfils. Del Potro is just a better player on hard courts as evidenced by his three straight victories over Nadal on that surface.

I think del Potro is a bad match up for Nadal. His weapons don't work so well against del Potro. He might solve the problem, but I rather doubt it.

I hope dP can come back completely healed. That's a tough injury.

peribsen
09-13-2010, 02:48 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not among the crowd who always finds explanations for Nadal's defeats. But Nadal was physically struggling through most of the second half of 2009, I don't think that is a matter of opinion, it's a fact. In that sense, Delpo's win back in Miami 09 maybe more significant, it also was a far closer match.

I've said many times that I think Delpo does have what it takes to dominate Nadal on HC, but I'll insist I need more evidence before I take that as proven.

Hopefully, Delpo will manage to come back in force and we'll get that evidence. It'll be fun!

Mjau!
09-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Maybe Murray because he'll continue to lose early on clay.

guptaji
09-13-2010, 03:10 PM
H)Other... Federer.

Right, cyrusking?

sosolid4u09
09-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Del potro is overrated. I think from that list its Murray. Simply coz he doesnt get to latter stages of clay court events often enough to get spanked by Rafa there.

MalwareDie
09-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Murray. As others have already mentioned, Murray won't make it far enough into clay tournaments to mess up the H2H.

misty1
09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
murray and del potro

finishingmove
09-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Pony

Serenidad
09-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Del Potro. They probably won't meet on grass at all and he is favored on hardcourt.

Serenidad
09-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Murray. As others have already mentioned, Murray won't make it far enough into clay tournaments to mess up the H2H.

But Murray already has 2 clay losses to Nadal if I am correct? They will probably meet on grass in the future as well, and it isn't like Murray will win 100% of the hardcourt meetings.

MalwareDie
09-13-2010, 03:33 PM
But Murray already has 2 clay losses to Nadal if I am correct? They will probably meet on grass in the future as well, and it isn't like Murray will win 100% of the hardcourt meetings.

Good point.

I didn't realize the H2H against Del Potro is 4-3. I guess Del Potro does have the better chance of ending with a good H2H against Nadal.

paseo
09-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Murray.

Sophocles
09-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Del Potro, if he gets back to where he was. Murray, if they meet much more often on hard than on other surfaces, particularly if they play a few matches indoors. And then, depending on how long Nadal plays when he declines, there will probably be a number of young players we've now barely heard of.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-13-2010, 07:46 PM
del potro is such a natura match up problem for nadal

if he improves in the way nadal improved from 2005-2008

del potro could win the calender grand slam

Pirata.
09-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Then we could all see if his 62 62 62 bashing of an underpar Rafael was circumstancial or the real thing.

Why is it that at RG09 and USO09, Nadal came in saying he was healthy, won his first matches in straight sets and handed out baked goods, but when he loses to Soderling or Delpo, he is "underpar?"

Waterfox
09-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Out of all the young guns or people who expected to be something out there, who is going to beat Nadal more than Nadal beats them (Federer has a positive record against almost all except Nadal, Murray, Simon and a couple of other guys. So here is my question. Who has the best chance of finishing positive (with the best record) against Nadal:

A)Murray
B)Djokovic
C)Del Potro
D)Cilic
E)Berdych
F)Monfils
G)Gulbis
H)Other...

You want me to teach you how to use a Poll?

see my face...