Poll: Federer fans, at this point, do you not really care as long as Nadal loses? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Poll: Federer fans, at this point, do you not really care as long as Nadal loses?

09-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Obviously Fedtards want nothing more than to see their hero win more slams, and get closer to that 20 mark and chase some more history.

But I do wonder, once Federer is out of a grand slam, do they basically support whoever is left, no matter how much they may dislike said player, simply because Nadal is the one who is closest to Federer, and whether they like it or not, is going to have a chance to get very close to Federers slam tally, and if he can rack up at least two of every tournament, may have many things going for him to be called the GOAT even if he doesnt win quite as many slams.

I mean theyre happier to see Novak get a couple more slams, or even Murray, because they know they wont win many more.

A lot of people claim to not support Nadal because of his ugly style of play, but I think the over riding factor is they want to see anyone win with a lower slam tally, so that Federer remains so far above the pack.

Discuss.

superslam77
09-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Correct but also because of his bad behavior,annoying fangirls, vamosing fist pumping and douchebag run at the start of the game. Not because he plays "anti tennis".

BlueSwan
09-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Yes, I admit it. I quite like Nadal and would never disrespect his tennis or accomplishments and he can win all the MM or even Masters tournaments that he wants to, but I don't want him to beat or come close to Federers Grand Slam total, so in Grand Slams I always support whoever Nadal is playing.

FEDERERBEAUTY
09-13-2010, 10:17 AM
I have absolutely no fear that Nadal will even match Federer's slam record let alone surpass it. So that's not an issue for me.

I don't care whether he wins or loses this slam, because, although I don't dislike him, he simply doesn't interest me either as a player or a person. (He seems nice enough but he doesn't interest me).

I love tennis and I love a good tennis match, whoever it is between. But I also love a player whose matches I watch with my heart pumping madly, ready to sink or soar with his every shot. I love a player whose victory makes me walk around all day with a smile on my face even though I know he doesn't know I exist and he certainly won't share his prize money with me! And whose loss makes me inexplicably sad.

Nadal just doesn't do any of that for me.

09-13-2010, 11:20 AM
I have absolutely no fear that Nadal will even match Federer's slam record let alone surpass it. So that's not an issue for me.

I don't care whether he wins or loses this slam, because, although I don't dislike him, he simply doesn't interest me either as a player or a person. (He seems nice enough but he doesn't interest me).

I love tennis and I love a good tennis match, whoever it is between. But I also love a player whose matches I watch with my heart pumping madly, ready to sink or soar with his every shot. I love a player whose victory makes me walk around all day with a smile on my face even though I know he doesn't know I exist and he certainly won't share his prize money with me! And whose loss makes me inexplicably sad.

Nadal just doesn't do any of that for me.

I feel you but how can you be so sure Nadal won't surpass his slam total?

This could only be true based on the "hell burn out before long" theory..I used to think that but now i'm not so sure.

He plays a lot smarter now and has horendous bad luck with injuries. Theres no reason I can see why he cant continue to play till hes at least the age Federer is now.

tennis2tennis
09-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Roger wants Rafa to win because of the historical significance...it will mean that Roger is in an era with a great! If Rafa wins he joins an elite group, if Nole wins it's blah

Allez
09-13-2010, 03:11 PM
I want Nadal to win every time Rogi does not (though I have several other faves including Murray, Djoko, Birdman, Roddick etc). Wouldn't it be so exciting when he hits 15 slams and Rogi comes out of retirement to try and put some distance between his record and Nadal's ? Rafa is a better person than he is a tennis player. That's what uncle Toni instilled in him. How can you not but wish him all the best :shrug:

Puschkin
09-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Not true.

In this match I am rooting for Novak, but I'd root for Rafa against Murray, Verdasco, Berdych, Söderling, Tsonga, etc., etc.

sosolid4u09
09-13-2010, 03:23 PM
When Nadal is out, i want federer to win. When Federer is out i want Nadal to win. When they play each other its like win/win for me

bluefork
09-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm a Federer fan, but I haven't decided who I'm rooting for yet. It's true that I really don't like Nadal's style of play or how he forces his opponents to wait for him all the time. But off court I do find him kind of charming in his own quirky, broken English, obsessive-compulsive kind of way.

Djokovic...I like his game better than Nadal's but the way his family acts is such a huge turn off.

Anyway, if Nadal ends up breaking Federer's record for number of GS titles (still a long way off), sobeit. He's done amazingly well to make the improvements he needs to win on non-clay surfaces, and he deserves credit for that, even if it pains Federer fans to admit it.