realisation! Nadal s Frasier to Federer's Ali [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

realisation! Nadal s Frasier to Federer's Ali

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-13-2010, 02:24 AM
I have had a huge epiphany

Joe Frasier was a huge matcup problem for Ali, smokin joe had an amazing defense- peek a boo stance- very similar to tyson in fact, and his lefty southpaw knock outs were too much for almost anyone

Ali, almost invincible was far too arrogant to change up and left himself open just enough for frasier to knock him out in their classic 1970 match- arguably the only time a peak ali lost

frasier however himself lost to foreman (del potro) who literally was too strong, and blasted his way through frasiers defense

Sophocles
09-13-2010, 02:36 AM
Good analogy, although Ali did win 2 out of 3 fights against Frazier.

r2473
09-13-2010, 03:18 AM
Just out of curiosity, have you seen all 3 Ali-Frazier fights?

How many other Ali or Frazier fights have you watched? And highlights don't count.

I'm going to guess that the answer to all of the above is zero.

09-13-2010, 03:54 AM
ive watched 2, not highlights

ive also read ali's auto biography 'king of the world'- one of the best books i read a few years ago

the biggest boxing question for me is who would win between tyson ali

i think federer nadal is the exact answer you're looking for

(ali= federer)
(nadal=tyson)

i would rate ali above tyson every time, but in 10 match ups i would say tyson wins 8 out of 10

ali was an almost invincible fighter left himself open to a world class southpaw hook, and lacked absolute knock out power- his showy style dazzled

federer has an almost complete game, but leaves his bh sides open to heavy top spin. his technique is near perfect on all other shots, his movement sublime... but against an agressive defender/counter puncher, he has been left open time and time again

murray and nadal being obvious examples

Tommy_Vercetti
09-13-2010, 04:04 AM
That's such bs. Ali was far from invincible. His record is full of close fights and robberies. His corner frequently bent the rules to get more time and cheated in 100 other ways.

And we won't even get into the out of the ring stuff. His Muslim goons calling up fighters and threatening to kill their families if they win. Stuff like that.

Most of his fans have only seen a few of his fights. Far too many bums went the distance and fought equally with Ali for this invincible reputation.

But he certainly fought all comers and never ducked anyone like a lot of fighters did.

09-13-2010, 04:26 AM
^do you know anything about boxing

clay/ali's best years were robbed off of him

how would federer look without his 2004-2006 resume

or nadal without his 2008&2010 resume

on top of that, sonny liston himself was a legitimate contender for boxing greatness- he hit harder than tyson could dream of hitting (i'd pick tyson over ali in a matchup PURELY because of styles)

ali beat liston cleanly the first time- second time is disputed- went on an undefeated run, and had his belt taken away at his peak

the only fight ali lost and was anywhere near his best was against frasier, who himself is a contender for one of boxing all time greats

frasier's style was a perfect match up for ali

just like nadal is against federer

however foreman absolutely destroyed frasier

and ali beat foreman by letting him punch himself out

just like del potro destroyed nadal last year

but the ao last year federer bagled del po

del potro (and soderling to a lesser example) are the type of players who can blast nadal off a court

federer's only match up problem during his prime was nadal

careergrandslam
09-13-2010, 06:50 AM
the most overrated rivalry ever is ali vs frasier.
frasier was the guy that challenged ali.
nadal is not only a challenge to federer, nadal is creating his own legacy.