What do you think about this radical idea? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What do you think about this radical idea?

little duck
09-14-2004, 09:13 PM
I had one idea today about substantial changing of the system of seeding. I know that this is radical, but why not inviting you all to say what you have about the following idea?

I think it would be interesting to allow number 1 seed to CHOOSE who he is going to play in the next round, with the restriction he can't choose another seeded player if he doesn't have to. Number 2 seed chooses after him (from those who are left in the game) and so on.
If you follow me, two good things come out from this system:

1) Possibility of a 'final before final' is much smaller. Player knows best himself who is the most difficult for him; for example, no chance that Federer would choose to play unseeded Safin in the first round, or that he would choose to play Agassi in qarters in this years U.S. Open.

2) In every mach,you would have an interesting tension: the stronger player (the one who was choosing) made clear that he thinks his oponent is the weakest of all the he could choose. So his oponent will want to proove that he was wrong. You would always have a challenger and a favorite, maby like in the boxing.

These are the good things. There are probabbly some bad things also - for example the factor of luck and unpredictablility will be lower. But do you think that some of these bad things would destroy the game, or do you think that this could work?

FryslanBoppe
09-14-2004, 09:19 PM
I don't agree with it, there is no way the seeds should chose their opponents, they should be decided as they are.

You answered it yourself the biggest problem is the predictability and takes away from the game, and doesn't offer anything better than what's going on at the moment.

maratski
09-14-2004, 09:31 PM
You must have been really bored today if you were able to come up with such an idea :help:

FryslanBoppe
09-14-2004, 09:34 PM
The ideas are getting sillier and sillier.

Lee
09-14-2004, 10:41 PM
How about let the organiser choose the players then! :rolleyes:

martirogi
09-14-2004, 10:46 PM
that would lessen the amout of upsets and take a year to make the draw

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-14-2004, 10:53 PM
This troll must be very bored to post this.

Experimentee
09-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Thats unfair to the lower ranked players and gives favourtism to the top players. If we are going to have players choose their opponents, we should let the lowest ranked players choose bc they need more help than the top players.

WyveN
09-15-2004, 03:00 PM
I think it would be interesting to allow number 1 seed to CHOOSE who he is going to play in the next round, with the restriction he can't choose another seeded player if he doesn't have to. Number 2 seed chooses after him (from those who are left in the game) and so on.

To make it even more interesting the seeded player has to play using a frying pan

Aphex
09-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Actually they do or did this in a Swedish sport, innebandy, for the play-offs.

MisterQ
09-15-2004, 05:03 PM
I do agree it would make things interesting... :) ;)