Federer and Anacone analysis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer and Anacone analysis

laurie-1
09-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Hi. Now that we've seen Paul Annacone work with Roger Federer for three tournaments, I wonder if you detect any improvements in Roger's game or influences of tactics / strategies suggested by Annacone?

My feeling is that Annacone would be strong in these areas:

- Attacking the 2nd serve
- Chip and Charge on key points
- Agressive backhand returns
- topspin backhands and then sliced backhands during rallies, breaking up the opponents' rythm
- coming to net more often to finish points
- serving to the forehand on the ad court more often

Are there any areas Federer's game has been mofified at all? Watching yesterday's semfininal, I got the feeling Federer was serving to the backhand on the ad court too often and not mixing his serve up a lot on the ad court. I also felt that Federer didn't really attack second serves, often dropping returns short.

Do you think Annacone has made an impression on Federer's game? Where do you see tactical changes or future tactical modifications?

ibreak4coffee
09-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Fed's problem is psychological... look at how defensive he played the key games at the end of the 5th set against Djoker. Fed circa 2007 would have attacked. He needs to get his head back to 100% before anything else.

azinna
09-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Agreed about Fed's Head. But he's not hesitating without reason. Djoko's own defense and mental resilience has improved just enough since '07 to make Federer dominating from the baseline a lower percentage proposition. Same with other players who've drawn inspiration from Rafa. Match point down, Federer did hit out on some of those forehands, then hit the last one out.

His net game still works quite well. So working his way there would be one way of playing aggressively and having the percentages in his favor. Anacone seemed to be helping with this, we definitely saw evidence of this during the summer and in the earlier rounds of the US Open. But -- as with Venus -- it went away during big points in big matches.

lazybear
09-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah, i think Annacone's influence clearly showed, and i really loved Roger's mindset during this USO. It all worked perfectly when his serve was on, and i have no doubt in my mind, it would have been the same if it doesn't dissappear misteriously in the semi final.

mongo
09-13-2010, 12:29 AM
McEnroe mentioned several times that Rog was standing too far back. That's not anything he'd learn from Annacone. That's an adjustment Roger made. I didn't learn anything about Annacone's influence from yesterday's match.

thunder2006
09-13-2010, 12:44 AM
on the match points he should have chip and charged to put more pressure on Nole.

Infinity
09-13-2010, 01:16 AM
I don't think Annacone has done anything yet.

holagirl56
09-13-2010, 12:59 PM
It's a bit ridiculous to wonder about Annacone's influence when the two have only just started working together. Roger has implemented Annacone's strategy to pretty good success, but when he's unable to do so, he goes back to what he knows. Old habits die hard. Give it a few months into next season before judging whether Annacone has really changed Fed's game for the better.

FormerRafaFan
09-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Fed's problem is psychological... look at how defensive he played the key games at the end of the 5th set against Djoker. Fed circa 2007 would have attacked. He needs to get his head back to 100% before anything else.

I agree with this. I think it's more of a mental issue than anything else these days.

laurie-1
09-13-2010, 01:08 PM
It's a bit ridiculous to wonder about Annacone's influence when the two have only just started working together. Roger has implemented Annacone's strategy to pretty good success, but when he's unable to do so, he goes back to what he knows. Old habits die hard. Give it a few months into next season before judging whether Annacone has really changed Fed's game for the better.

You make some interesting points but by the way its not ridicolous to wonder about Annacone's influence after they've actually worked together for 3 months now including a Grand Slam tournament.

I know a lot here on MTF have no manners but have a bit of decorum for a change.

Quadruple Tree
09-13-2010, 01:19 PM
I always thought Federer was better with a coach. He played his best tennis (05-mid 07) when he had Tony Roche.

Jaz
09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
AO will be very important for this coach/player relationship.

The problem with Federer is that he completely forgot anything new he learnt once he lost the set. When things go badly Roger reverts to the Roger that has lost him his last few slams..... Defensive pushing. This really screws up his entire game as then he can't get into a position to to hit a winner, and then he forces the issue which leads to a u/e.

finishingmove
09-13-2010, 01:56 PM
He's coming to the net more.

Annacone was a good choice for him at this point in his career.

I think it will pay out.