Nadal vs Djokovic USO Final postponed for Monday..how much does it affect the outcome [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal vs Djokovic USO Final postponed for Monday..how much does it affect the outcome

Ozone
09-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Rafa's lucky draw ctaching up to him. Should be better tennis and more of a fair fight :D

n8
09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Here's tomorrow's schedule:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=topnav

djb84xi
09-12-2010, 10:39 PM
I hate when this happens. This sucks big time.

Jomp1
09-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Had they played semis at friday this would bother me a bit, but now it's just good news for the sake of the final. I see it as karma for stupid saturday.

Topspin Forehand
09-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Congrats to Djokovic on his first US Open. Nadal can't beat a rested Djokovic on fast hardcourts.

DwyaneWade
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Absolutely and unequivocally sucks. Now the average person who works, and at times works late (like myself), will miss most if not all of the match. It would be better if they made it a primetime 7 or 8pm match.

SetSampras
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
3 years in a row this rain delay bullshit has happened and yet no roof put on Ashe? ITS THE FUCKIN NORTHEAST MORONS!!! THE WEATHER IS ALWAYS SHITTY.. More shitty then it is nice.. Get a fuckin clue and use some of that money from flushing you fuck the fans on by overpricing food and drinks

Commander Data
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Good to see that Nadal will finally face a though opponent.

Vamos_Me_Rafa
09-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Oh well. :o

straitup
09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Absolutely and unequivocally sucks. Now the average person who works, and at times works late (like myself), will miss most if not all of the match. It would be better if they made it a primetime 7 or 8pm match.

Agreed but that would ruin their primetime schedule :rolleyes:

careergrandslam
09-12-2010, 10:54 PM
congrats novak on ur 1st USO title.

bad luck rafa.
better luck next time.

DwyaneWade
09-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Agreed but that would ruin their primetime schedule :rolleyes:

So?

At the very least they could have waited longer this evening. They have lights, they could have started the final anytime up till 8pm. But they do not want to mess with their stupid sitcoms :o

Just let ESPN2 or TTC take up the coverage at night. Would be a much better atmosphere and generate better ratings for the sport.

straitup
09-12-2010, 10:57 PM
So?

At the very least they could have waited longer this evening. They have lights, they could have started the final anytime up till 8pm. But they do not want to mess with their stupid sitcoms :o

Just let ESPN2 or TTC take up the coverage at night. Would be a much better atmosphere and generate better ratings for the sport.

No I perfectly agree with you, I think it's stupid too. I think it would be an electric match if they moved it to late night and put it on ESPN2...I think the fact that American football is obviously popular in America means they wouldn't put it that late to have it compete with Monday Night Football.

alfonsojose
09-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Yes. Fairer final :yeah:

coonster14
09-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Nole, I'm happy that his wish has been fulfilled, he prayed for rain, he got it. Poor Rafa, he will be a nervous wreck for the next 21 hours.

Now we will be able to see a much better match than anticipated, best of luck to both guys!!! :D

anticaria
pitiful.. rafa finally makes the uso final, and instead of it being played in its usual sunday slot when maximum viewership can tune in, he has to settle for a workday afternoon when only the diehards will tune in if they're lucky or can get off work early.. talk about a sucky turn of events for one of the guy's greatest career milestones..

if this darn final had been a sunday morning affair, the guy would already be a career slam champion..

Jimnik
Good news for Nadal fans. Haters won't have excuses if he wins.

Lopez
Awesome

Topspin Forehand
09-12-2010, 11:01 PM
But he won't win. Djokovic loves the high ball. He is super consistent and aggressive when he gets the ball at shoulder height. Nadal will be scrambling for life. He can barely beat Djokovic on clay. All their matches are really close there.

Orka_n
09-12-2010, 11:03 PM
At first I wanted to see the final today, but this is better for tennis.

straitup
09-12-2010, 11:05 PM
But he won't win. Djokovic loves the high ball. He is super consistent and aggressive when he gets the ball at shoulder height. Nadal will be scrambling for life. He can barely beat Djokovic on clay. All their matches are really close there.

You are correct...the problem is that this is a best of 5 match, and Novak has yet to win against Rafa in best of 5's (granted, none of those have been on hard courts). That means you are assuming Novak will be able to keep up his play for a best of 5 against Rafa on the hard courts (I do believe he can), but that's definitely not a given.

osmonde
09-12-2010, 11:11 PM
The bad side of it is today was clear of rain until 3:00pm
The bad side is tomorrow, same story: partly sunny, then after 3:00pm possibility of storms...so more rain delay.
And monday night football will drive CBS off tennis, and we will be left with internet stream for many people ...future mess ahead maybe.

In Canada, no more TV tennis until the AO...that is a lot of tournaments on internet to follow until then.
What a shame.

Mjau!
09-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Whether Mr Breathing problems will be fully recoverd or not, he has now been given as much rest as a player should be entitled to between rounds.

TheBoiledEgg
09-12-2010, 11:35 PM
The bad side of it is today was clear of rain until 3:00pm
The bad side is tomorrow, same story: partly sunny, then after 3:00pm possibility of storms...so more rain delay.
And monday night football will drive CBS off tennis, and we will be left with internet stream for many people ...future mess ahead maybe.

In Canada, no more TV tennis until the AO...that is a lot of tournaments on internet to follow until then.
What a shame.

havent they got an alternate channel :lol: its not 1950

straitup
09-12-2010, 11:37 PM
havent they got an alternate channel :lol: its not 1950

They have CBS College Sports :shrug:

I remember 2001 Wimbledon, they moved the final to MSNBC :lol:

osmonde
09-12-2010, 11:43 PM
No ESPN2 in Canada. There is a analogic channel that takes relay sometimes but with normal cable service you cannot access to it. And no tennis channel access on any channel...very bad coverage.

Aaric
09-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Lol at people giving Novak the win

william_renshaw
09-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Nobody can deny that djokovic has a much. better chance with the final being played a day later. had it been played today i would have made it 70-30 Nadal. Now it's much closer, maybe 60-40.

Cool conditions forecast also, which will favor Novak both physically and tactically. Nadal is still the fav, of course, but djoko has a serious chance now. Should be a cracking match - usually is between these two.

SheepleBuster
09-12-2010, 11:52 PM
If there is any justice in this world, tomorrow will be washed out too. That way, Novak will have some real rest for Tuesday :devil:

Persimmon
09-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Nole of course.

careergrandslam
If there is any justice in this world, tomorrow will be washed out too. That way, Novak will have some real rest for Tuesday :devil:

:mad:

Persimmon
Rafa has no chance.

Johnny Groove
09-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Good for Djokovic.

Fair final.

Mimi
09-13-2010, 12:08 AM
nole is so lucky, now he is going to win, rafa:mad:

oranges
09-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Now that a lot of people are starting to put Joker as favorite, it will be a hot sunny day come Monday and it will turn once again :p

@Sweet Cleopatra
09-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Congrats to Djokovic on his first US Open. Nadal can't beat a rested Djokovic on fast hardcourts.

Djokovic is fierce on hard courts but don't say Rafa can't beat him. It is not true. Rafa will do his best.
You make me so scared with your comments. :bigcry:

Persimmon
09-13-2010, 12:13 AM
nole is so lucky, now he is going to win, rafa:mad:

Indeed. Nole's winning.:wavey:

straitup
09-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Djokovic is fierce on hard courts but don't say Rafa can't beat him. It is not true. Rafa will do her best.

Her?

Mjau!
09-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Rafa is :scared:

Nadal scowled and seemed genuinely unhappy. As he was packing up his rackets, he was asked about the decision.

"I can't believe they didn't wait until 8 or 9 o'clock," Nadal said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/usopen10/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=5565470

Very disappointed that he didn't get to face a fatigued opponent. Such a humble, great sportsman this Rafa. :rolleyes:

Brick Top
09-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Djokovic is fierce on hard courts but don't say Rafa can't beat him. It is not true. Rafa will do her best.

What the fuck are you?

thrust
09-13-2010, 12:23 AM
At first I wanted to see the final today, but this is better for tennis.

Much better for Nole too! With another day's rest, I really think Nole has a good chance to win. I hope so!

The Magician
09-13-2010, 12:27 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/usopen10/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=5565470

Very disappointed that he didn't get to face a fatigued opponent. Such a humble, great sportsman this Rafa. :rolleyes:

What a crybaby this Nadull is :baby:

helen10
09-13-2010, 12:29 AM

Well, if that's true (and it's a big 'if')I can see why he might expect a later announcement. What's the point of having night lights if you don't use them??

Quakes
09-13-2010, 12:34 AM
I liked this tweet:

wsjcouch: The U.S. Open Men's Final is postponed due to Roger Federer's tears.

Rain is the tears of God.

:rain: :rain: :rain: :rain:

:awww:

careergrandslam
09-13-2010, 12:37 AM
USO is in shambles.
its the laughing stock of the whole tennis world.
the center of all jokes.

Persimmon
09-13-2010, 12:40 AM

Maybe he thought he would get lucky like rogie in Madrid 2009:o

Ouch...

brent-o
09-13-2010, 12:52 AM

Wouldn't you be? Just curious, how would you react exactly?

Nole Rules
09-13-2010, 12:59 AM

:haha:

Mimi
09-13-2010, 01:50 AM

:lol: hypocrite, rafa is not unfair, its not him who made Nole fatigued, he plays in accordance to the schedule, the match is scheduled on Sunday and he wanted to finish it on Sunday, its normaly, if you were him, you would do the same

Mimi
09-13-2010, 01:51 AM
What a crybaby this Nadull is :baby:

you are one too, sneaking in all rafa's threads and tried your best to jeer/downing him:wavey:

gulzhan
09-13-2010, 03:32 AM

+1

gulzhan
09-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Lol at people giving Novak the win

You mean Fedtards? ;) It's been their latest mantra -- Novak will rest and win because Nadal can't play on hard courts :lol: Hell, they event started calling him by first name :tape: he is no longer Fakervic, until he loses to Rafa of course.

I wonder what other accusations Fedtards will envent after the final? If Rafa wins of course, I don't want to jinx him even unintentionally. Not the weak draw because Rafa would face same opponent as Fed, not the fatigue cause Novak had a day to rest and that's more than enough to recover after any 5-setter... Wind? Cold? I can't think of anything but of course, I am not a Fedtard, so my imagination is not inventive and pervertive enough :lol:

Filo V.
09-13-2010, 03:41 AM
Rafa is scared? Hahahahahaha. How utterly pathetic. No, more like he was pumped up for tonight and not playing is a huge let down. Everyone keeps bringing up fatigued opponent, like somehow that has to do with Rafa or that he winning today over Nole would have less value. Um, you play the opponent on the other side of the net regardless of the circumstances. Guess what? Tired isn't an excuse, so get over yourselves you bitter haters. Nole said it isn't an excuse, and reality is that as a professional, you have to deal with difficult circumstances. Either one can handle it or you need get out of the sport.

Hopefully, the outcome isn't affected, but if Nole wins people WILL bring it up, and that's the sad part. Everyone loses, because of stupid immature pitiful haters.

born_on_clay
09-13-2010, 11:37 AM
honestly it's unfair
they should have waited until 9pm
Rafa has played so many matches day after day, tired and so on...
and when it comes to his rival in GS final they postopne it so Nole can rest a bit more
fucking unreal

andylovesaustin
09-13-2010, 11:51 AM
It will help Nole for sure.

But it might even help Rafa, too.

Although I won't be able to watch the match, if it were going to rain on and off last night, then it was probably better for both players just to play it today.

I would imagine Rafa just wanted to get it over with. But he should look on the sunny side of life!

laurie-1
09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
It definitely helps Novak with the rest he will get.

Nadal is favourite but I think its a 50/50 match. Novak clearly has the belief and wants to win. Whoever wins will be a worthy champion and I'm really looking forward to it.

Persimmon
09-13-2010, 01:32 PM
honestly it's unfair
and when it comes to his rival in GS final they postopne it so Nole can rest a bit more
fucking unreal

USTA are Fedtards.:o

Commander Data
09-13-2010, 03:18 PM
honestly it's unfair
fucking unreal

But you must admit that it is fair when the better player wins. So, the two are gonna play soon and the better will prevail and it is all good. If Nadal is better indeed, he will also win today. It will be even better for all rafasupporters because nobody can say he did not deserve it. had he won yesterday the haters would have complained about it for years :o
Weather forecast was shitty for yesterday evening anyway, so I think it was a reasonable move to play today.

sosolid4u09
09-13-2010, 03:32 PM
This makes it much harder for rafa to win. But note that the last three meetings between the two on hard courts were in 2009 when rafa was clearly injured the entire season after the aussie open. Also over 5 sets its a totally different proposition to beat Rafa.

I still favour Nadal in 4. But im glad its postponed. No1 can make any excuses if Rafa wins.

philosophicalarf
09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Extra rest is huge, but it's still going to be cool and damp tonight, nice and slow... and a fair chance of some wind also (yuck).

Jaz
09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
I think it will benefit Nadal.

Nole fan
09-13-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm happy the match is not scheduled at night, think of the millions of fans that follow the slam out of the US and have a time difference of 6 hours! Fair for all I guess, now I can watch it on my sofa, with popcorn and beer.

Florida
09-13-2010, 05:19 PM

You are so optimistic!!!!!!!! Nole is not reliable. One good perfomance has been followed by a bad one!!!!!!! With Rafa you always know what to get since he is reliable and consistent.

Persimmon
09-13-2010, 05:29 PM

+1.

MIMIC
09-13-2010, 06:37 PM
This makes it much harder for rafa to win. But note that the last three meetings between the two on hard courts were in 2009 when rafa was clearly injured the entire season after the aussie open. Also over 5 sets its a totally different proposition to beat Rafa.

Nadal and Fed don't seem to be lacking in the excuse department.

missvarsha
09-13-2010, 08:09 PM
It doesn't at all. Still Nadal overwhelming favorite for straight sets.
6-2 6-4 6-4