Gonzo out until RG2011...returning earlier in Belgrade [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gonzo out until RG2011...returning earlier in Belgrade

Pirata.
09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
According to Ricky Dimon (http://twitter.com/rd_tennistalk) on Twitter:

Fernando Gonzalez expected to be out until Roland Garros 2011

He's had a problem with his knee since earlier this year and it was aggravated by his comeback in New Haven. Apparently, he has to undergo some surgery on his knee :sad:

LaFuria
09-12-2010, 09:23 PM
:sad:

Ibracadabra
09-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Sorry to say it's over for gonzo, great shame :(

Shirogane
09-12-2010, 09:29 PM
:hug:

Sapeod
09-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Just retire already, Fernando.

It's over.

shiaben
09-12-2010, 09:30 PM
That truly sucks. I've always enjoyed his runs. I hope he's got at least a few more years in the tank, to make things interesting.

Filo V.
09-12-2010, 09:47 PM
WOW! That's gonna basically be 9 months off the tour, plus the 3 months he took off from the French to New Haven. So basically, a full year without tennis. And at his advanced age, you have to think it will be very difficult for him to come back at his level. Very sad set of circumstances, sorry to read about this. Hopefully he keeps his head up and can be OK mentally and emotionally from this difficult period.

timafi
09-12-2010, 09:53 PM
damn!:eek:
feel better buddy:hug:

FormerRafaFan
09-12-2010, 09:57 PM
I feel so bad for Gonzo. I hope he gets well soon and can start his comeback. This sucks for me as a fan, but I'm not giving up. I support him and I'm confident he can do a comeback if he feels like that's what he wants to do.

ImmzB
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM

Filo V.
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
He's having hip and knee surgery and will be out for 9-12 months, with a targeted return in 9 months, in time for the French.

Honestly, he's headed to Moya territory, but hopefully it doesn't come down to that.

Caralimon
09-12-2010, 10:08 PM
No, he hasn't decided to undergo surgery yet.

Puschkin
09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
:awww:

straitup
09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Very disappointing to hear, I hope he can come back for one last strong comeback but I can't imagine him playing as well as he has for most of his career anymore

Filo V.
09-12-2010, 10:11 PM
No, he hasn't decided to undergo surgery yet.

The latest reports I read say he's having surgery in New York in October after talking to experts and he will be out 9-12 months. Do you have any different information?

Caralimon
09-12-2010, 10:16 PM
The latest reports I read say he's having surgery in New York in October after talking to experts and he will be out 9-12 months. Do you have any different information?

He denied it on his twitter account.

TheHawk
09-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Coming from a huge Gonzalez fan, this is exactly what he deserves for not trying when healthy.

It's no joke, he will end his career with no Masters under his name and no slams. Granted, he lost games in slams and so on even when he tried hard but how many times did we see him tank matches and playing with no interest at all?

It's a shame, a big shame and an important chapter of my tennis fan life is coming to an end. And just like with Marcelo Rios, it ends with a lot of regrets.

Filo V.
09-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Very disappointing to hear, I hope he can come back for one last strong comeback but I can't imagine him playing as well as he has for most of his career anymoreEspecially if you look at the fact he'll be nearly/exactly 31 years old when he comes back. Plus, his knees are so much of his game, because of the footwork he needs to run around backhands to hit forehands and be able to get back in the court and hit the forehand shots with maximum ability. Without his footwork/movement, he's a very ordinary player with basically only a first serve. Hopefully the injury doesn't take him out the game, but it's not likely a good future in store for him, sadly.

straitup
09-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Especially if you look at the fact he'll be nearly/exactly 31 years old when he comes back. Plus, his knees are so much of his game, because of the footwork he needs to run around backhands to hit forehands and be able to get back in the court and hit the forehand shots with maximum ability. Without his footwork/movement, he's a very ordinary player with basically only a first serve. Hopefully the injury doesn't take him out the game, but it's not likely a good future in store for him, sadly.

Exactly why your comparison with Moya was pretty good...both needed the good footwork and speed to run around the backhand because neither has a great backhand. Definitely hoping for one good last run though, or at least one great tournament

Filo V.
09-12-2010, 10:23 PM
He denied it on his twitter account.I read it. Personally, if I were him, I would hold off surgery and come back around Australian Open/ATP Santiago next year. That would give him 4-5 months off. Take that break, don't do anything but rest for the most part and keep in shape, then slowly start rehabbing and strengthening the knee. With that said, where there is smoke, there is fire, so I wouldn't be surprised if he announces the surgery announcement when he is ready on his own terms.

Sophocles
09-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Shame, looks like the end. One of the most devastating power hitters of the last decade when on his game.

Filo V.
09-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Exactly why your comparison with Moya was pretty good...both needed the good footwork and speed to run around the backhand because neither has a great backhand. Definitely hoping for one good last run though, or at least one great tournament

Thanks, that was what I was thinking of when bringing up Moya, they are extremely similar players. The difference is Gonzalez has an even bigger windup with his forehand, and less serve consistency, so he'll be in really huge trouble without his knees, I can easily see him showing up like Moya at Madrid at Santiago or one of the clay events. But it would be nice if he can hold on long enough where he can give the fans in Chile one more good run in their event, or maybe a longshot but a chance to play the Olympics.

superganon
09-13-2010, 12:44 PM
i almost fell a tear...and then i watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqIHxchIjA8

philosophicalarf
09-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Blake, Gonzo, Haas, Stepanek, Hewitt, Ljubo - many longterm top20 guys all disappearing at once it seems. Inevitable due to age of course, but does leave quite a gap.

misty1
09-13-2010, 01:22 PM
well this sucks..hopefully when he comes back he can still get some good runs in tournaments

.-Federers_Mate-.
09-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks, that was what I was thinking of when bringing up Moya, they are extremely similar players. The difference is Gonzalez has an even bigger windup with his forehand, and less serve consistency, so he'll be in really huge trouble without his knees, I can easily see him showing up like Moya at Madrid at Santiago or one of the clay events. But it would be nice if he can hold on long enough where he can give the fans in Chile one more good run in their event, or maybe a longshot but a chance to play the Olympics.

he has one more good AO run in him (3rd or 4th round) he loves playing there and so he should

FactsPlease
09-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Sad. Before he began shaving his whole body like the girl he became - arms, legs, chest, all of it, every day - Gonzo was the hottest player around:

HOT:

http://correcttimezone.com/2009/07/images/20090729_FernandoGonzalez.jpg

MEDIUM:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:vmV5w72KmenixM:http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/wdejesus79/fernando-1.jpg&t=1

SAD AND GIRLISH:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ABl6on44Qx8/SpOAEMPmzmI/AAAAAAAAGLI/q2j5D8PmjZU/s1600/iiFernandoGonzalez_CincinnatiOpen2009_09.jpg

I blame Gislea Dulko for this bullshit - it all went downhill when he got with her. She's very emasculating - demanded that he be more hairless than she is. I loathe her to this day for what she did to him.

Pirata.
09-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Blake, Gonzo, Haas, Stepanek, Hewitt, Ljubo - many longterm top20 guys all disappearing at once it seems. Inevitable due to age of course, but does leave quite a gap.

I blame Flavia Panetta for this bullshit - it all went downhill when he got with her. She's very emasculating - demanded that he be more hairless than she is. I loathe her to this day for what she did to him.

He dated Dulko, not Pennetta. Moya dated Pennetta.

bjurra
09-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Coming from a huge Gonzalez fan, this is exactly what he deserves for not trying when healthy.

It's no joke, he will end his career with no Masters under his name and no slams. Granted, he lost games in slams and so on even when he tried hard but how many times did we see him tank matches and playing with no interest at all?

I think his attitude has been good in the last 3-4 years, at least in big tournaments.

I hope he he has another 24 months of good tennis in him.

Pirata.
09-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Flavia and Gise.

Modern day fangirl heroes.

:worship:

fangirl
09-13-2010, 11:18 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2ekkrb4.jpg

BOW DOWN.

Pirata.
09-13-2010, 11:21 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2ekkrb4.jpg

BOW DOWN.

:worship::worship::worship:

Bow down to the true GOAT, Queen Legendulko

Haters :bigwave:

Ivanatis
09-13-2010, 11:24 PM
that sucks
hope he can start a good comeback

Pirata.
09-13-2010, 11:26 PM
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3765/fena.gif

tennishero
09-13-2010, 11:32 PM
wtf were do you find these gifs

FactsPlease
09-13-2010, 11:58 PM

He dated Dulko, not Pennetta. Moya dated Pennetta.

Yeah, you're right.

It's Gisela who is the emasculating bitch - demanding that her men shave their bodies so they look like nice little girls. She has good taste in men - no denying that - but she ruins them by feminizing them.

Gonzo was born a man - reduced to a shaven girl for Gisela. :eek::eek:

Pirata.
09-22-2010, 01:21 AM
Back on topic, but Gonzo has confirmed on his twitter he will have surgery on October 4 http://twitter.com/fergonchile/status/25165219420

Finalmente tome la decision de operarme,sera el 4 de octubre en nueva york

tealeaves
09-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Just retire gonzo :sad:

Pea
09-22-2010, 01:28 AM
LOL@this thread turning into a Dulko discussion.

Filo V.
09-22-2010, 02:24 AM
So yes, the news was true, I guess he just wanted to confirm it personally and not have it taken over by the press.

Hope he has a successful comeback, free from pain. But with a knee and hip operation at his age and the fact it could be a full year from competitive tennis, and the fact he's barely played this year on top of that, it's going to be an extremely difficult climb for him to get back to his previous level. I wish nothing but the best from Gonzo, his presence will be missed.

finishingmove
09-22-2010, 02:33 AM
Mods, move this thread to tennisforum.com

MariaV
09-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I wish him all the best too but the comeback is going to be tough. :awww: :sad:

Audacity
09-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Can't see him coming back at a decent level, but I hope he does all he can to recover 100% and give it another crack.

nalbyfan
09-22-2010, 09:05 AM
A lot of players came back strong after a surgery : Nalby, Hewitt, Tsonga, Fish, Wawrinka, Andreev, Kuerten...why not Gonzalez ???

Tenn1sAdd1ct
09-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Very unlikely he will return to old level with his age and such a long break. His game was all about confidence and being ultra aggressive. I hope he comes back to play at least couple of more years though.

Minorellen
09-22-2010, 10:59 AM
That truly sucks. I've always enjoyed his runs. I hope he's got at least a few more years in the tank, to make things interesting.

I hope so.

I remember that Agassi's best years was at his early 30's

So, I it is weird to read some posts about Gonzo's retirement

I hope he will recover and will have 2-3 more years. i Love his game

opeth84
09-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Come back soon Fena!

StevoTG
09-22-2010, 06:33 PM
All the best to Fernando with his surgeries and I hope he'll be back enjoying the sport and feeling good in future.
¡Vamos Feña!

FormerRafaFan
09-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I read that it would take 9 months to recover from the surgery. Too bad. I'm really gonna miss him. He's one of my favorites, and I like the way he plays.

I only hope it won't be too late for him to get back after he's recovered. He's not getting any younger.. Still, I think he has a couple of more years left in him, so I hop he'll at least keep going till the olympics in 2012.

ariel2
09-23-2010, 05:26 AM
Another entertaining and exciting player out with prolonged injury. Quite a slew of players in the "advanced age" category are treading water after returning from injury and staying nicely afloat in the top 50. I hope they continue to tread and perhaps get a little more swimming in before they drop the curtain on their careers. It's going to create a nasty vacuum for some of us when they opt out in a couple of years. So I'll raise a glass of champagne to them now for their persistence and enthusiasm for the sport. Good luck Gonzo with the surgery and rehab and we'll be waiting when you get back.

Pirata.
09-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Another entertaining and exciting player out with prolonged injury. Quite a slew of players in the "advanced age" category are treading water after returning from injury and staying nicely afloat in the top 50. I hope they continue to tread and perhaps get a little more swimming in before they drop the curtain on their careers. It's going to create a nasty vacuum for some of us when they opt out in a couple of years. So I'll raise a glass of champagne to them now for their persistence and enthusiasm for the sport. Good luck Gonzo with the surgery and rehab and we'll be waiting when you get back.

I hate to think about all the good players we'll start losing in the next year or so :sad:

Already lost some great guys like Safin. In the next couple years, I'm seeing retirement announcements coming soon for guys like Gonzalez, Hewitt, Haas, Ferrero, Roddick, Ljubicic, Nalbandian (although he might play until he's 80 trying to win Davis Cup :lol:), Ancic, Moya, etc. It's a shame, really, because all of these guys are incredibly talented but have been plagued with injuries that really disrupted their careers. Imagine how different the game could've been in the middle part of the decade had Nalbandian, Hewitt and Ferrero been able to stay healthy and at the top of the game.

Ad Wim
04-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Good for the game. Earlier than expected, right?

Sonja1989
04-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Yes, I heard he plays just in Roland Garros. Welcome back Gonzo! :D

P.S.: Third thread for this. :awww:

Ad Wim
04-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Okay sorry, didn't see any thread about it in the first few pages of GM.
But I see it has been moved now.