If Novak wins his second slam, can Murray recover? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If Novak wins his second slam, can Murray recover?

SheepleBuster
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Murray was dubbed as being much better than Novak by guys like Simon Reed and even i think one of the McEnroes. He was expected to beat Roger at US Open and Australian Open (at least Brad Gilbert picked him twice). Now, Del Po has a slam, Nadal has all his. If Djokovic wins his second, can Murray mentally bounce back and do something or will he be the next Tim Henman? I mean this is not about a 19 or 20 year old anymore. Every year, murray is a favorite in 3 slams (according to Eurosport, Suns, Mirror, and all UK sites). And every year he fails.

Will Murray pull it together mentally in a slam? discuss.

Sapeod
09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Of course he can.

It's not if, it's when.
He will win multiple slams in the future.

swisht4u
09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Murray was dubbed as being much better than Novak by guys like Simon Reed and even i think one of the McEnroes. He was expected to beat Roger at US Open and Australian Open (at least Brad Gilbert picked him twice). Now, Del Po has a slam, Nadal has all his. If Djokovic wins his second, can Murray mentally bounce back and do something or will he be the next Tim Henman? I mean this is not about a 19 or 20 year old anymore. Every year, murray is a favorite in 3 slams (according to Eurosport, Suns, Mirror, and all UK sites). And every year he fails.

Murray can win, he's not always consistent but eventually he should break thru. That loss to Fed at the AO wasn't a bad loss. Fed just played some great tennis that day.

NadalSharapova
09-12-2010, 03:13 PM
no one who understands tennis would say murray is a better player than djokovic

dombrfc
09-12-2010, 03:15 PM
no one who understands tennis would say murray is a better player than djokovic

Agreed

Retarded thread anyway. I mean if Nole wins.. Man Murray will be suicidal.

Not.

christallh24
09-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't see what Nole is to do with Andy. Don't know about Murray's mentality and don't really care. I'm just glad Novak is no longer the red-headed step-child of the big 4 any longer.

Yukimura
09-12-2010, 03:20 PM
If Djokovic wins today, Murray should retire XD.
Fortunately for Murray, Djoker's triumph is highly unlikely.

paseo
09-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Murray will be rooting for Nadal, that's for sure.

peribsen
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I have always thought that the brave Scot both deserves and will get a slam (or more) one of these days. As I also feel the same about Nole, them splitting USO-10 and AO-11 wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Surprise is one thing... whether they will do it, and whether they will do it now, is quite another.

Closer to your question, I don't see why Nole's success should be a problem for Murray. I think players view of things is (or at least should be) very different from that of most fans. If Nadal was really centred on catching up with Fed, as so many think he should be, he'd have been frustrated long ago and wouldn't have accomplished much. Likewise, it would be foolish for Murray to see his career as a race against Nole or anyone else.

Am sure the Scot won't fall for that, hope he isn´t so brittle as some presume.

superslam77
09-12-2010, 03:32 PM
A few GS finals between them is what i want to see.

peribsen
09-12-2010, 03:41 PM
A few GS finals between them is what i want to see.

...after Rafa retires, hehe.
More seriously, yes, that would be a novelty worth seeing.

Persimmon
09-12-2010, 05:12 PM
I mean if Nole wins.. Man Murray will be suicidal.

:sad:

Well... Nole has not beaten Murray on HC since 2007:o

If a guy that has not beaten Murray on HC in 3 long years wins the USO Murray will be upset....:rolleyes:

Big_Juicy
09-12-2010, 05:22 PM
:sad:

Well... Nole has not beaten Murray on HC since 2007:o

If a guy that has not beaten Murray on HC in 3 long years wins the USO Murray will be upset....:rolleyes:

They haven't played a match though since Miami '09, I believe. So , that's a little exaggerated then ;)

Serenidad
09-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Well we all know the truth.

guptaji
09-12-2010, 05:29 PM
British media's hype is killing Murray. I don't think Nole winning a GS would affect him too much.

Andi-M
09-12-2010, 05:30 PM
It will bother him like Potro's victory bothered him, but he won't be mentally traumatised by it or anything because its actuslly nothing to do with him, its his own frailities that he will find it hard to deal with not the sucesses of his peers.

It might actually help him, there will be less pressure on Murray pre-AO, and also it could be a motivating factor.

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Of course he can.

It's not if, it's when.
He will win multiple slams in the future.

Murray - multiple slams = delusion....hopefully u grow out of it

Enjoy the Spartan final

Rafa vs Nole
Spartan vs Spartan

No dancin fairies like Federer or Murray allowed.

dombrfc
09-12-2010, 05:37 PM

Enjoy the Spartan final

Rafa vs Nole
Spartan vs Spartan

:wavey:

Farenhajt
09-12-2010, 07:20 PM
If Novak wins his second slam, can who recover?

DrJules
09-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Will the Rafatards telling us of the certain Nadal victory today recover.

star
09-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Will the Rafatards telling us of the certain Nadal victory today recover.

I'm sure they will.

Djoko is looking good. I'm not sure how he will be when he faces Nadal. It's the beauty of sport. It doesn't matter what anyone opines. It has to be played out on the court.

NadalSharapova
09-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Why should Djokovic or Del Potro's victories bother murray? I don't understand

Sapeod
09-12-2010, 08:24 PM
A Novak win will not bother Murray in the slightest.

NJ88
09-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't think what happens with Djokovic will have a direct affect on Murray at all. I'm sure Murray won't be watching the US Open final thinking 'If Nole wins I'm done for'. Murray will have his opportunities and I have no doubt that he will win multiple slams in the future.

shiaben
09-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Murray needs to flatten out that forehand. He's lost mostly against heavy hitters in these slams. Cilic, Federer, Berdych, Tsonga, Gonzalez, Verdasco, Roddick, and some other players that have large forehands. Djokovic and Soderling will probably add to that list, if he faces them. If Murray can flatten out that forehand, keep his serve % consistent, and throw in some maybe forehand winners, and move people around like Djokovic does, he'll definitely bag a few slams here and there. But Until then, if he pushes, or relies on accuracy too much to win points off his opponents, he'll be around the 4th round/QF area, and he'll make his runs a lot tougher.

GayBury
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I would love to help him recover.

syc23
09-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I think Federer winning more slams would affect Murray more and as long as Roger remains a major threat, Murray will find it tough to break through to get his first GS. The Swiss is the Scot's Kryptonite (in slams).

Orka_n
09-12-2010, 10:59 PM
A Novak win will not bother Murray in the slightest.True.

But Murray is still a mug pusher :worship:

Ozone
09-12-2010, 11:06 PM
A Novak win will not bother Murray in the slightest.
Right. Novak will just be considered the much better tennis player with a better career and a better everything..warm regards

tektonac
09-12-2010, 11:10 PM
British media's hype is killing Murray. I don't think Nole winning a GS would affect him too much.

british media is downplaying novak big time. they certainly mastered media affairs.

paseo
09-12-2010, 11:10 PM

Enjoy the Spartan final

Rafa vs Nole
Spartan vs Spartan

Murray, a dancin fairy? Murray?

No.

superganon
09-12-2010, 11:13 PM
this is just gobshite. why do u mention murray when novak is in the final and have a shot to be seen as the 3 best atm for a reason!?

theres so many out there with potential winning a slam... and i think the hype about murray is clearly overrated. Murray is also close to lose his nr 4 rank...then why dont we talk about Soderling?

Ivanatis
09-12-2010, 11:16 PM
cant really see a connection here

TheBoiledEgg
09-12-2010, 11:37 PM
recover from what ? its not like Simon Reed died or anything.

Persimmon
09-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Murray, a dancin fairy? Murray?

No.

LOL.

helen10
09-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Strange thread....:confused:

emotion
09-13-2010, 12:36 AM
I think Djokovic winning would hurt Murray's spirit quite a bit, as all debate would end as for who was better (IMO, it is Nole anyway)

Quakes
09-13-2010, 12:38 AM
That is irrelevant.

What is relevant here is, if Novak wins his second slam, can the Japanese economy recover?

cutesteve22
09-13-2010, 03:16 AM
Murray better shut up

SheepleBuster
09-13-2010, 03:18 AM
It is relevant. There were rumors a while back that Murray was disheartened that he didn't have a slam and Novak and Del Po had. That's why he keeps changing his team. To win a slam. Let's face it. Murray may be a bit envious of guys like Roddick and Djokovic, and thinking that his chance is slipping away. Simon Reed thinks Murray is much better than Novak, yet he does not have a slam. a 2nd slam for Novak may give Murray the indication that he just does not belong.

unknowndiamond
09-13-2010, 04:03 AM
Well, still too soon to discuss.
wait till Soderling win a slam then ...

guga2120
09-13-2010, 04:41 AM
Of course he can, he will win multiple slams.

He does need to improve on clay though, Novak, is clearly better on that surface.

tnosugar
09-13-2010, 05:37 AM

Whether Murray gets it together doesn't depend on Novak winning or losing today. However, I'm seriously starting to doubt he can play consistently well at the Grand Slams to have an impact on the big three.
We might have to wait for someone from the upcoming crop to do that, or Fed's form would have to seriously decline. We'll see.

Roddickominator
09-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Murray will only win with a weak draw. He cannot face a healthy player with a true champion's mentality at a Slam and come away a winner. I do imagine that he'll luck out one of these days though.

freeandlonely
09-13-2010, 08:40 AM
No:devil:

tnosugar
09-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Murray will only win with a weak draw. He cannot face a healthy player with a true champion's mentality at a Slam and come away a winner. I do imagine that he'll luck out one of these days though.

Yep. Like Krajicek got his Wimbledon title vs Washington in 1996. That was a low point...

B787
09-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Probably the last chance for Djoko to win second slam.
Del Potro injured, Murray out of form, the new generations will probably emerge....

B787
09-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Yep. Like Krajicek got his Wimbledon title vs Washington in 1996. That was a low point...

Krajicek has beaten Sampras on the way to the title.....

Of I forgot, beating mono Fed in AO 08 was not a weak draw.

tnosugar
09-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Krajicek has beaten Sampras on the way to the title.....

Of I forgot, beating mono Fed in AO 08 was not a weak draw.

True, but Fed didn't play that bad to call it a cakewalk. This was still Novak's peak form to date.

Can't say I remember the Wimby match, but I remember Krajicek as a pretty one-dimensional player. Did win 17 titles, but all on fast surfaces, save Barcelona. This was the period when a tall player with a powerful accurate serve could scoop up some honors without actually having to play much tennis.
Just saying he was lucky to play a mug in the finals.

born_on_clay
09-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Murray will still remain a pusher :o