Federer's Main Goal Is (SINGLES) Olympic Gold 2012 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer's Main Goal Is (SINGLES) Olympic Gold 2012

Iván
09-12-2010, 12:23 PM
You heard it here 1st;)

I can see it in his eyes these days, all these tight losses to soderling, berdych and djokovic hurt but dont mean as much as they did.

All that is left in the game for roger to win is the singles olympic gold, once he gets this his career will be forfilled.

Will take place on grass, so very good chances he will get it.

GL ROGER!

dombrfc
09-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Probably true.

But also irrelevant.

anticaria
09-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Probably true.

But also irrelevant.

i agree.. roger will be 31 in 2012.. and of the 13 men who have won singles gold in the entire history of olympic tennis, only one was over the age of 30 at the time: major josiah george ritchie at the 1908 summer olympics, at the age of 37..

and while i don't doubt anything's possible, something tells me the chances of roger pulling off olympic singles gold in 2012 are only negligibly better than his chances of ever beating rafa at r garros..

River
09-12-2010, 01:24 PM
I bet he'll make it there, but I highly doubt he'll wi it. 2012 is a long time away, and Federer isn't getting any younger.

Unless he's actually tanking Grand Slams just for this Olympics, lmao. But I doubt he'll win it. He should just be grateful to have that doubles gold; it's not like he wins anything in doubles anyways.

Iván
09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
anyone have a list of mens singles olympic gold winners?

Fedicilous
09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
It's not likely to happen, but still not impossible. Nadal will be watching those Olympic on a wheelchair, Murray probably chokes, struggling against the giant pressure, Djokovic is only average on grass.

Who knows?

peribsen
09-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Oh dear... somebody please tell him they only give one gold medal per Olympic! And that of course is already taken by.... guess who? :devil:

oranges
09-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Oh dear... somebody please tell him they only give one gold medal per Olympic! And that of course is already taken by.... guess who? :devil:

I was certain they won't be giving the 2012 medal before 2012, but obviously that's not the case :scratch: Oh wait, that's unrelated and you were just being a tard

peribsen
09-12-2010, 03:45 PM
I was certain they won't be giving the 2012 medal before 2012, but obviously that's not the case :scratch: Oh wait, that's unrelated and you were just being a tard

You can hardly say someone is retarded when he makes a prediction 2 years in advance, now can you?

oranges
09-12-2010, 03:48 PM
You can hardly say someone is retarded when he makes a prediction 2 years in advance, now can you?

Of course you can, the same as I would call someone undertaking to predict the weather two years in advance retarded. The dumb attempt to play on medal from last Olyimpics makes it even more retarded .

osmonde
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
anyone have a list of mens singles olympic gold winners?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_tennis

Federer took part in 3 olympics...
He never won a single medal of any color even in his glorious days :confused:

peribsen
09-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Of course you can, the same as I would call someone undertaking to predict the weather two years in advance retarded. The dumb attempt to play on medal from last Olyimpics makes it even more retarded .

Humour is not your strong point, I gather...

star
09-12-2010, 05:00 PM

Ah, give her a break. These are tough times. :D

oranges
09-12-2010, 05:41 PM

Another first class comedian :lol:

Ah, give her a break. These are tough times. :D

Not any harder than any year since 2005 in my case :shrug:

Johnny_Bravo
09-12-2010, 09:28 PM
He won't get it imo.Too much grass relaying here and there are more good grass court candidates other than fed.

Plus don't expect his bh to hold on some serious exchanges on such a fast surface.

latso
09-13-2010, 01:06 PM
He won't get it imo.Too much grass relaying here and there are more good grass court candidates other than fed.

Plus don't expect his bh to hold on some serious exchanges on such a fast surface.
Disagree

if there is one surface Fed could have his fair chances, it definitely is grass.

Of course by then Pony, Soderling and Berdych + Rafa will be even harder to compete against, as well as the new top 10 at that time Dimitrov, but you never know :D

Iván
09-13-2010, 03:37 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_tennis

Federer took part in 3 olympics...
He never won a single medal of any color even in his glorious days :confused:

thanks

sosolid4u09
09-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Expect rafa to successfully defend it. Murray will have a decent shout by then aswel. he should be at his peak with roger declining at 31

paseo
09-13-2010, 04:08 PM
If Massu can win it, and Gonzalez can keep getting medals, then I would give 31 years old Fed a chance. A good one, in fact.

malisha
09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Disagree

if there is one surface Fed could have his fair chances, it definitely is grass.

Of course by then Pony, Soderling and Berdych + Rafa will be even harder to compete against, as well as the new top 10 at that time Dimitrov, but you never know :D

Soderling and Pony are no match for Federer or even Federror on grass

MalwareDie
09-13-2010, 07:32 PM

Del Potro is terrible on grass, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that Soderling would lose to Federror on grass. He isn't anywhere near as shitty as Del Potro is on grass.

Johnny_Bravo
09-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Is Berdych his match on grass:rolleyes:?

Johnny_Bravo
09-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Disagree

everyone has chances ofc,I'm just saying he isn't my first choice for that olympic gold,especially in two years time ;)

dimitrov... :cool:

DuMa
09-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Nadal got it in the bag

Iván
09-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Fed vs rafa final for olympic gold

cant wait

Manila ESQ
09-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Ryan Harrison for the Gold!

Iván
09-15-2010, 04:25 PM
i cant wait for the olympics, i live in london and i want to see fed round off his GOAT career with olympic gold!

syc23
09-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Federer's body will fail him in 2012 even though he will still have the game to win. Murray will be approaching his peak at 25 and with Wimbledon being his home event, he'll be extra motivated. Nadal's knees will be shot then so he will be a non-factor.

shiaben
09-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I think Djokovic will win it by then if not some random player.

finishingmove
09-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I think you're wrong.

Federer never cared enough to win it during his peak, why do you think he would even want to do it now?

And even if he does decide to go for it, he's too old and too slow. Someone else will do it. Djokovic playing for Serbia won't lose to OldFed playing for swiss glory. And that's just one example.

Horatio Caine
09-16-2010, 09:24 PM
I think he'd like it (especially considering that grass is the surface, and Wimbledon the venue) but I don't think it is a goal for him.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if he actually has any goals left. :shrug:

He mentioned that he wanted to win 20 Slams, but after his US Open defeat to Djokovic he might want to rethink his chances of achieving this. Obviously he isn't getting any younger, and his body isn't as reliable (the back is troubling him again). There is also the small problem of Nadal raising his own standard AGAIN...Rafa will be particularly tough to beat at the first 3 Slams next year, assuming he maintains fitness. And then there are the others who will always bother him - Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro (who'll hopefully play his best tennis again), and others who will play well enough on a particular day to surprise him.

If Switzerland can maintain their status in the World Group, he would perhaps be advised to challenge for the Davis Cup trophy next year...but unless he has a sudden change in attitude, he clearly isn't bothered about that competition.

Otherwise, what is left for a man who has achieved so much in the game, but is unlikely to achieve much (if anything) more?