Youzhny, the only one with a black ribbon. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Youzhny, the only one with a black ribbon.

kindling
09-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Could be wrong, but I didn't notice any other acknowledgment of the day on the other guys. I think Rafa said something after?

In any case, well done Youzhny for showing respect and compassion for the city in which he was in.

Ibracadabra
09-12-2010, 06:22 AM
I noticed this too but misha seems a very respectful man, very well mannered and isn't oblivious to the outside world.

gioconda
09-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Very, very cool of Youzhny to wear a black ribbon.

And yes, the first thing Rafa said in his post match interview was to acknowledge the families of those who lost loved ones on 9-11.

FormerRafaFan
09-12-2010, 06:32 AM
I don't think it was because of 9/11. I read in another thread that something happened in Russia a few days ago, a terrorist attack or something?

I might be wrong though..

cutesteve22
09-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Misha:inlove:

catatonia
09-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Q. I saw you had a black ribbon on your T shirt today. Was that to mark today's events, or was that the reason?

MIKHAIL YOUZHNY: Of course the reason because everybody remember the 9/11. Today, nine years, so that's why we still remember.

born_on_clay
09-12-2010, 11:18 AM
He seems to be a very respectful man :)

munZe konZa
09-12-2010, 11:42 AM
American government has killed thousands of times innocent and defenseless people than americans got killed in that one day that they repeat every year so I don't think this is apropriate at all.

Bilbo
09-12-2010, 11:55 AM
There are far more people dying each day in Africa because of no food. It is 9 years after already. How long do Americans want to think about 9/11? Guess in 1000 years they are still making a big fuss about it. They act like it's the worst thing that has ever happened.

paseo
09-12-2010, 12:00 PM
American government has killed thousands of times innocent and defenseless people than americans got killed in that one day that they repeat every year so I don't think this is apropriate at all.

There are far more people dying each day in Africa because of no food. It is 9 years after already. How long do Americans want to think about 9/11? Guess in 1000 years they are still making a big fuss about it. They act like it's the worst thing that has ever happened.

You both might get bashed for this. But, I agree with you both. Worse things happened.

Topspindoctor
09-12-2010, 12:08 PM
It was a nice gesture :yeah:

Waterfox
09-12-2010, 12:09 PM
I so love him!!...
and of course...
being a soldier and all

tennizen
09-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Seriously, most players come from countries that have tragedies including terrorist attacks of far greater proportions. If it weren't for the Americans, the world would have forgotten long time ago.

MacTheKnife
09-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Unlike many here, Youzhny is respectful and I commend him.

Ouragan
09-12-2010, 12:21 PM
It was 9 years ago, please get over it already. Far worse things have happened.

Bobby
09-12-2010, 12:23 PM
It was a terrible tragedy, that's for sure. I don't want to sound disrespectful, but if someone doesn't wear a black ribbon, it's not the worst thing. Life has to go on. There are terrible things happening every year in various parts of the world. Earthquake in Haiti, flooding in Pakistan and so on. And I'll bet not too many remember these 10 years from today.

kindling
09-12-2010, 02:16 PM
It was a terrible tragedy, that's for sure. I don't want to sound disrespectful, but if someone doesn't wear a black ribbon, it's not the worst thing. Life has to go on. There are terrible things happening every year in various parts of the world. Earthquake in Haiti, flooding in Pakistan and so on. And I'll bet not too many remember these 10 years from today.

Terrible things do happen everywhere, but with the tourny being in NY and with it happening on that day in NY, it was a nice gesture. That's all. Don't take it so far.

Sapeod
09-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Youzhny is a class act.

Manequin75
09-12-2010, 03:02 PM
yes Youzhny seems like a respectful person.

Bilbo
09-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Youzhny is a class act.

you only say that because he mourns americans

Chloe le Bopper
09-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Good for Youzhny.

Anybody who fails to appreciate the lasting impact of the events of 9/11 is obviously uneducated, ignorant, obviously a complete idiot, probably a bigot, and has immediately been placed on my ignore list.

Bilbo
09-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Good for Youzhny.

Anybody who fails to appreciate the lasting impact of the events of 9/11 is obviously uneducated, ignorant, obviously a complete idiot, probably a bigot, and has immediately been placed on my ignore list.

It may have an impact on human life but not for the earth. Visible changes are far worse.

earthquakes, tsunamis > 9/11

Chloe le Bopper
09-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Nobody's stopping you from wearing ribbons on anniversaries of big earthquakes, Bilbo.

Johnny Groove
09-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Yes, let's develop a hierarchy of tragedies :rolleyes:

oranges
09-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Nobody's stopping you from wearing ribbons on anniversaries of big earthquakes, Bilbo.

+1 I'm not sure how anyone can find anything objectionable about this. Yes, tragedies happen all around the world, but paying respects to victims is not a competition.

Bilbo
09-12-2010, 04:26 PM

you know as well as me that people don't care about things like these. only when it happens to specific nations.

Ozone
09-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Needs to do something to make-up for all of his fake medical timeouts on his opponent's serve

martinatreue
09-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Bilbo, I get the point that you and others are making. I agree to a point but you also sound quite bitter. Did it ever occur to you that there could be MANY, MANY people in the stands, people watching on TV and people who even work or volunteer at this tournament who lost loved ones such as family members or dear friends that day JUST, yes JUST, 9 years ago. Do we measure tragedies in terms of the number killed and in terms of a hierarchy of pain? Should we not commend Misha for showing compassion and respect to the many innocent people who were killed that day? If you can think long and hard about what I say and still feel so callous about it then I truly don't know what to say to you nor do I understand why you seem to have such an angry or resentful sarcasm in your posts. I say this to all the posters on here who seem to act like it was no big deal. I am not bothering to go back and address each one of you personally. You know who you are. Think about how those people who lost loved ones on this anniversary must feel comforted and respected by this simple, yet kind gestures.

The Pro
09-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Quite right.

Sonja1989
09-12-2010, 09:15 PM
He seems to be a very respectful man :)

+1

Bilbo
09-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Bilbo, I get the point that you and others are making. I agree to a point but you also sound quite bitter. Did it ever occur to you that there could be MANY, MANY people in the stands, people watching on TV and people who even work or volunteer at this tournament who lost loved ones such as family members or dear friends that day JUST, yes JUST, 9 years ago. Do we measure tragedies in terms of the number killed and in terms of a hierarchy of pain? Should we not commend Misha for showing compassion and respect to the many innocent people who were killed that day? If you can think long and hard about what I say and still feel so callous about it then I truly don't know what to say to you nor do I understand why you seem to have such an angry or resentful sarcasm in your posts. I say this to all the posters on here who seem to act like it was no big deal. I am not bothering to go back and address each one of you personally. You know who you are. Think about how those people who lost loved ones on this anniversary must feel comforted and respected by this simple, yet kind gestures.

You are right but you obviously didn't get my point. Sure he was making a nice gesture and rightly so but I'm asking myself why other victims of other countries don't get the same attention as they would deserve.

Helevorn
09-12-2010, 09:58 PM
You both might get bashed for this. But, I agree with you both. Worse things happened.

you're wrong, worse things happens, and are happening right now all over the world.

of course it's necessary to remember those who died in the states on 11-9 but it's also necessary to remember all the people who die every day and to help those who are risking to die every day

martinatreue
09-12-2010, 10:39 PM
You are right but you obviously didn't get my point. Sure he was making a nice gesture and rightly so but I'm asking myself why other victims of other countries don't get the same attention as they would deserve.

I do know that Here in the US the victims of the earthquake in Haiti seemed to get way more attention than some natural tragedies that occurred here or in China or in Pakistan or in Russia. I think the attention here is based on the fact that it happened at the same time of the year and in the same city!

tealeaves
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Mikhail :worship:

martinatreue
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
It may have an impact on human life but not for the earth. Visible changes are far worse.

earthquakes, tsunamis > 9/11

Earthquakes and tsunamis are devastating but they occur naturally. TERRORISM is not natural. It is more devastating psychologically as it occurs from malice and hatred and can and will occur repeatedly and at any time and at any place. I fail to see how terrorism does not affect the Earth (of which we humans are a part!). You said to me that I don't get your point, but in fact I do get your point. You feel that some victims in some nations are mourned more than others. I may agree on that. I have seen for example that here in the US there has been little fundraising to help many victims of floods or natural disasters here in the US or in Pakistan or in Russia (fires). Only Haiti got widespread attention. It is also fashionable in the US to help out a "friendly developing nation" like Haiti as opposed to those awful Russians or Pakistanis (No, I don't think they are awful at all...sarcasm in my voice!) or even poor people who lose their homes to some of the worst flooding in history in our own country. Helping people in our own country is not fashionable with the "progressive" left since it doesn't appear to be truly benevolent but instead it appears self-serving (nothing could be further from the truth, however!)

aloniv
09-12-2010, 11:49 PM
First of all, when someone visits a place he or she should respect the people there, so Youzhny should be respected for giving respect to the casualties of 9-11.

The number of casualties during 9-11 isn't that large compared to the number of people who died in the wars which followed it. For example, the number of people that died in the Iraqi war in 2003 was, according to different sources, at least 90,000:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

In fact, more people died crossing the mexico-us border:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrant_deaths_along_the_Mexico_%E2%80%93_United_S tates_border