What is your favourite tennis tournament you have attended and why? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What is your favourite tennis tournament you have attended and why?

vodka007
09-12-2010, 01:01 AM
I thought it would be good to get people's opinions and experiences on attending different tournaments.

So please state your favourite tennis tournament(s) and why?

Pirata.
09-12-2010, 01:10 AM
I love Cincy. It's small and like 80% of the people don't know who the majority of the players are, so if you have a favourite outside the top ten, it's super easy to get up close to them. The grounds are pretty small and intimate, plus they post the practice schedule. You also don't need to buy a grounds pass, one ticket gets you in the entire tournament, and because it's basically in the middle of nowhere, it's not that busy the first couple days, so you can move down to the middle tier especially during the day matches in the first couple rounds.

hyperren
09-12-2010, 01:40 AM
I've only attended two juniors events so far, and they were good for different reasons. The Mitsubishi Lancer something-or-other was great because it was at home, and the hometown crowd was there to support its players. (Also, this is where I discovered Daniel Berta, before he won the French Open months later.) Then the Youth Olympic Games had "bigger" names, and of course the atmosphere at an Olympics is always different.

I'm attending my first ATP event at the end of the month: Thailand Open!

dombrfc
09-12-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm attending my first ATP event at the end of the month: Thailand Open!

Have fun!

Wimbledon for me I guess.
WTF09 was nice environment too.

Eden
05-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Hamburg (have been there twice in 2007 and 2008):

Advantages: CC has a roof, great grounds with space to walk around, you can watch the players practicing, you have one ticket for the whole day (including day- and evening matches)

Halle (have been there each year since 2007):

Advantages: CC has a roof, great grounds with space to walk around, players hotel is nearby which means you can see a lot of the players walking to the practice courts, you have one ticket for the whole day (including day- and evening matches)

Disadvantage: Most of the players practice on the private courts which means you can't watch the practice

Basel (have been there each year since 2009):

Advantages: you have one ticket for the whole day (including day- and evening matches), you can see most of the players practicing

Disadvantages: Expensive tickets, Court #1 doesn't fulfill the standards for an ATP 500 tournament, very crowded once a match is over (you better don't have claustrophobia)

Rotterdam (have been there three times in 2009, 2012 and 2013):

Advantages: great hall, you can see the players practicing, it's very easy to get near to players

Disadvantages: you have to buy day- or evening tickets when you don't have a ticket for the whole week, it's really loud in the hall, crowd doesn't know that you are only allowed to get to your seat or to get out during a changeover, stewards are way to lax

B-Nard
05-25-2013, 12:51 PM
The Australian Open is electric. Impeccable venues, accessible transportation, countless activities, events, functions, and a real tennis-like atmosphere (i.e., the words "mug" and "vulture" are never used). It sort of resides in its own universe, as well - technically, it's in Melbourne, but, at the same time, it never really is, if that makes any sense whatsoever. I recall once stepping out of the whole area into Melbourne and there's such an immediate, distinct change. It also has a very remote feel to it (and I mean that in a good way). Many tennis players apparently enjoy the Australian Open immensely because of its serene, distant undercurrent. I can see why. Oh, and tickets are not that expensive unless you plan to sit in Hisense or Rod Laver Arena.

FlameOn
05-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Auckland.

It's the only one I have the opportunity to attend ATM. Gone last two years and making it an annual thing :angel:. Seen a good variety of players though :).

latso
05-25-2013, 01:34 PM
DC tournament in Sofia this year

Fist because it's nearly the only one i've seen live :lol:

But also because it was in Sofia's best tennis club (the national tennis center), which is in the middle of a park, it's green and perfetc overall.

Then because you can watch any match with one pass, which costs 2.5 Eur, you can communicate with the players and umpires (had a short conversation with Pascal Maria) and there are several young talents to be seen.

Watched Berankis live there, he was coming back from injury and played half of his abilities, but still won against a Greek fellow i never heard b4, who was playing solid as well.

nole_no1
05-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Unfortunatelly i didn't attend any tournament untill now. I envy you all :(

Haste
05-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Auckland.

It's the only one I have the opportunity to attend ATM. Gone last two years and making it an annual thing :angel:. Seen a good variety of players though :).

Same here unfortunately we don't have much of a selection in New Zealand. :(

At least the times I have attended the Heineken Open its been great, especially 2009.

Since then only really Ferrer comes here out of the well known guys. :sad:

Chase Visa
05-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Never been to an ATP tournament. The one in Sydney is in the arse-end of the world, and most of the big names there are women, but I may go there in the future.

Eden
02-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Unfortunatelly i didn't attend any tournament untill now. I envy you all :(

Hope you can change this one day :)

It's really totally different to watch tennis live as compared to via TV or Computer

Federer-Fan
02-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Marseille obviously because this is the only tournament I have the opportunity to attend. :)

TigerTim
02-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Hope you can change this one day :)

It's really totally different to watch tennis live as compared to via TV or Computer

and so much better!

Planning to go to Queens this year

Been to Auckland (used to live in NZ when I was kid, saw Nadal of all people!) and the World Tour Finals in 2012 to see Djokovic, Murray, Berdych and Tsonga - great stuff.

TigerTim
02-16-2014, 11:32 AM
btw OP, I know a lot of people are dissing Roger over his wins in a "weak era" but it isn't like he stoppped since 2007 :lol: he's got 17 slams now :wavey:

Caesar1844
02-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Australian Open is the best Slam.

Queens is the best tournament I have been to. Much better than Wimbledon.

Puschkin
02-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Monte Carlo: Great location, not too big, mostly great weather and you can watch practise all day long if you want.

Roland Garros: too crowded
Bercy: no practise
Vienna: no practise
Basel: crowded during Roger's matches, (almost) empty for all other matches and the second court is an insult.
Wimbledon is Wimbledon, but a mess with the tickets.

HalBanks
02-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Wimbledon of course. Greatest tournament on earth.

acionescu
02-16-2014, 02:20 PM
I only attended Bucharest, Barcelona and Halle and I loved them all but the softest spot I have for Halle because of the stadium and the food :o

Whiznot
02-16-2014, 03:26 PM
The NCAAs in Athens, GA. The wonderful Spring weather and crowds of young coeds in halter tops add to the experience.

DarkMarc
02-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Been to Halle twice, Davis Cup twice, Sydney twice, Aus Open twice and the US Open once, and my favorite is clearly the Australian Open.
U get a 5 day ground ticket for a ridiculously cheap price, so especially the first week of the tournament can get u some fantastic matches for a good price. Ur close to everything, I think I watched pretty match every match from the first row (I was on my own to be fair), u get close to the players, u can even sit next to them and their coach if they watch their next opponent and listen to what they talked aboud :-D (sat next to mayer and his coach a couple of years ago). Weather is mostly great (dont mind a bit of heat, although this year it could have been a bit much), fun atmosphere, can only recommend going there! Plus Melbourne is fun too, the tennis ground is close to the city and easy to reach (as opposed to flushing meadows) and a few beers after a long day are in order :-)

Kowchi
02-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Been to Halle twice, Davis Cup twice, Sydney twice, Aus Open twice and the US Open once, and my favorite is clearly the Australian Open.
U get a 5 day ground ticket for a ridiculously cheap price, so especially the first week of the tournament can get u some fantastic matches for a good price. Ur close to everything, I think I watched pretty match every match from the first row (I was on my own to be fair), u get close to the players, u can even sit next to them and their coach if they watch their next opponent and listen to what they talked aboud :-D (sat next to mayer and his coach a couple of years ago). Weather is mostly great (dont mind a bit of heat, although this year it could have been a bit much), fun atmosphere, can only recommend going there! Plus Melbourne is fun too, the tennis ground is close to the city and easy to reach (as opposed to flushing meadows) and a few beers after a long day are in order :-)

Aussie Open certainly seems to be the best funded out of all the slams.

Unfortunately I don't live too close to any tournaments. Am in the middle of the U.S. so am not close to any tournament in particular.

PitsOfTheWorld
02-16-2014, 04:05 PM
I've only been to a Challenger in Winnetka, IL and Cincy last year, but man Cincy was incredible. Amazing facilities, great grounds layout, some awesome courts, decent pricing, and wonderful access to players. Not to mention things like great food. If I lived even an hour or two closer I'd go every year. As it is I may go back this August in case my Wimbledon plans fall through due to uncertain budget times at work.

r2473
02-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Indian Wells:

1) I always stay in a condo right across the street. Wake up and play a few sets of tennis. Watch a few matches starting at 11 then cut out around 3 or so and play a few more sets. Shower, eat a proper dinner, and head back to watch more tennis. It's really the perfect day for a tennis fan.

2) The weather is always great and I get to escape winter for a week.

3) Very fan friendly. Everyone brings in their own beer/wine. Officially you can't do it, but they really don't care. The atmosphere is totally laid back. I've been to the US Open and it is anything but laid back.

4) All the players are there. Guys skipped Miami last year. Injuries pile up as the year goes on. But most everyone is there and healthy for IW.

5) Reasonably priced. You can get a grounds pass for $40-$50 for the day. The best matches early on are on Court 2, not the stadium (the stadium has the top guys trouncing low ranked opponents).

6) Men's and Women's tennis. I don't watch much women's tennis, but it is actually nice to see them play live to see how good they really are. It also attracts fans that would otherwise be trying to take my seat for a good men's match.

7) Doubles. This might be the best doubles tournament of the year as Federer/Nadal/Djokovic/etc usually play doubles in addition to the top doubles teams.

8) Hot women in the stands. The chicks are happy to be in the warm weather and want to return home from the vacation with a tan so the chick watching can be pretty darn good (though it is Palm Springs so lots of old people too)

9) I almost forgot about watching the players on the practice courts and how accessible all the players are at IW. I'm not into this at all, but most people are.

Yandr001
02-17-2014, 01:25 AM
Roland Garros. I've been most years since 2006 and love it. Tickets are unsually pretty inexpensive, and I love the viagogo resalesystem, makes it very easy to get last minute tickets.

Been to Wimbledon couple times, and the US Open twice, Eastbourne once and the Paris Masters last year, and then some Davis Cup and Fed Cup matches over the years.

Johnny Groove
02-17-2014, 01:47 AM
On the main tour, I've only been to Delray, Indian Wells, and Miami, but to try to choose between those three is like to choose your favorite child. I love all 3 equally.

alypen
02-18-2014, 12:21 AM
Wimbledon, I suppose, but can I pick an imaginary time after they put the roof on Centre but before they ruined the queuing system? The last few years since you've been forced to drag all the way over to Southfields have been hell, and last year was the worst of all: I now find I'm having to get there 2-3 hours earlier just to be sure of getting in, and it doesn't look as though you have any chance of showcourt tickets unless you camp overnight, which not everyone can do. I wonder if it'll be less mad once Murray retires.

ProdigyEng
02-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Wimbledon. Went in 06 with school, can't remember much apart from seeing Navartiolvas last mixed doubles match ever at the tournament and falling asleep during that match (I'd had literally 2 hours sleep as the coach was at 4.30am from my school and I was excited as fuck lol). But went back in 2013, loved it. Great atmosphere, great view from the stands on any court, just beautiful.

Gabeh99
02-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Wimbledon in '82 when on a visit for a family event from Canada. With an inexpensive general entry pass got to watch several courts and even got into the standing room at Centre Court after a ten minute wait. Saw Johnny Mac, Chris Evert and some of the old timers. Strawberries and cream and a Wimbledon towel I still have. Great experience!
Then had to watch Connors beat McEntroe on television :(

beotiger
02-18-2014, 03:06 AM
Funny thread. I think only Kevin Spacey and maybe Pippa Middleton posses the chops to really get into this topic.

Jimnik
02-18-2014, 06:10 AM
Wimbledon because I like cream and the strawberries that go with it.

Jamvol
02-18-2014, 06:25 AM
Wimbledon. Because it's the only tournament I have attended...

PitsOfTheWorld
02-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Man, if I lived in England I'd go to at least one of the tournaments every year--coming from a US perspective, everything is so close together that unless you live in the far North almost everything could be a day trip by our standards.

acionescu
02-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Wimbledon because I like cream and the strawberries that go with it.

you show go to Halle. They have about 27722 ways of preparing and selling strawberries :drool:

Yves.
02-18-2014, 02:20 PM
On the main tour, I've only been to Delray, Indian Wells, and Miami, but to try to choose between those three is like to choose your favorite child. I love all 3 equally.

What's so great about Delray Beach? On TV it looks very dull, bar maybe the finals weekend.

ProdigyEng
02-18-2014, 03:08 PM
What's so great about Delray Beach? On TV it looks very dull, bar maybe the finals weekend.

From looking at grooves pics on his fb of the tournament I can only imagine that girls attract him to the tournament

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Illusive Man
02-18-2014, 04:08 PM
I've been to Cincinnati and Wimbledon. Oddly enough, I prefer Cincinnati. No queuing (although I can't deny that that was quite an experience!), quieter, easier to get into stadiums, I can use my credit card. I can also drive, so that makes the journey from my home to the event very peaceful.

ibreak4coffee
02-18-2014, 05:06 PM
I've been to Indian Wells, Key Biscayne, Paris Bercy, US Open, Wimbledon, French Open, and Basel.

Indian Wells is so great - I only went for a day but the facilities are top notch and the whole experience is incredible. Basel is not bad but the facility is really small and hard to get around pre or post a big match but they do hospitality well. US Open is a blast always even with the USTA organizing it. French Open is great. Wimbledon is nice but really overrated.

PitsOfTheWorld
05-09-2014, 05:26 PM
This is a cool thread and I feel it should be bumped.

thrust
05-09-2014, 09:44 PM
USO- At Forest Hills on grass, before and during the Open Era. Was last there in 74, which I think was the last year on grass.

EAST COAST GRASS CHAMPIONSHIPS. Early 60's not far from where I lived in New Jersey.

MIAMI- Beautiful location, top players. Not too far from where I lived, in Ft Lauderdale. Unfortunately, saw Sampras lose twice there against Goran I and Richard K

Rumblingbelly
08-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Ipp open challenger in Helsinki Finland because its 6 km from where I live.

tommyg6
08-11-2014, 06:04 PM
For me, it's the Rogers Cup in Montreal for a couple of reasons.
1. It's the only event I ever attended live.
2. Canadian players tend to do better in Montreal than Toronto for some reason.
3. The venue is fantastic.

godig
08-11-2014, 06:07 PM
i like the usa open because it was only one to attend