If Federer won would he have had more of a chance against Rafa in tomorrow's final? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If Federer won would he have had more of a chance against Rafa in tomorrow's final?

DorianGray7
09-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Roger was god awful today with unforced errors coming out of his pants and going completely brainless for 2 sets and blowing 2 match points.

That said, players have a off-day and it was clearly his off-day with his serve under 47%. This was a completely different Roger than the one that show up against Soldering.

If Fed had won today and Soldering-Fed had shown up tomorrow, would he be more of a challenge against Rafa Nadal. Novak's chances aren't looking very good right now.

Mjau!
09-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Maybe, but only because Roger doesn't get tired and Novak does...

cloudeleven
09-12-2010, 12:57 AM
I was really surprised Fed lost those 2 sets by such a big margin. It's like he turned his brain off, or just gave them up. What happened there?

Anyway, I think Fed would have had a better chance against Rafa because he seemed slightly fresher than Nole at the end of the match and he's played Rafa in GS finals before.

Orka_n
09-12-2010, 12:58 AM
That's a no. Nadal is a bad match-up for Roger, always have been. Nole has a bigger chance of winning.

Also it's Söderling or Soderling, not Solderling.

emotion
09-12-2010, 12:58 AM
I don't think so...

latso
09-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Roger fitter and serving better

will have the chance doing t at home unfortunately

*Brahmin
09-12-2010, 02:37 AM
I don't think so...Roger doesn't have the balls against Rafa..but Nole can take it up to Rafa with his solid backhand..its gonna be a heck of a final and hope Rafa wins..if fatigue doesn't plays a factor, Nole has a good chance

Infinity
09-12-2010, 03:04 AM
We don't want to see a crying loser again.

gulzhan
09-12-2010, 03:07 AM
No.

brent-o
09-12-2010, 03:12 AM
I think from a physical standpoint (Federer never seems to tire) he would have been better prepared, but no way could have kept it close mentally with Nadal. I think Novak will be a better match at this time.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-12-2010, 03:26 AM
I think from a physical standpoint (Federer never seems to tire) he would have been better prepared, but no way could have kept it close mentally with Nadal. I think Novak will be a better match at this time.

thats a common misconception

federer is just as mentally stronger (if not stronger) than nadull

captain one dimensional has one huge advantage however

his poor technique is less likely to break down in stressful situations

so although nadal is mentally average at best, his 1 dimensional top spin forehand is very hard to miss with

therefore he outlasts tired opponents

thats why winning on clay is a migs game

09-12-2010, 05:26 AM
I think one thing Novak does have in his favour is that at least the sets weren't too long. It may have been 5 sets, but with a 6-1 and a 6-2 in there, and no tiebreaks, a just over 3 hour match isn't too bad.

Nadal will be tired too cause of only one days rest, and Nadal does seem to have some foot issues so who knows.

Also, Nadals lack of decent opposition might play into Noles hands. Nole is pretty fit, he just gets the breathing issues, but if he can catch his breath hell be fine. Both bounce the ball a million times so they get some rest at least :)

GO NOLE!

MalwareDie
09-12-2010, 05:35 AM
No.

oddkayla
09-12-2010, 06:04 AM
I actually believe that Novak has a better chance against Rafael than Roger does. It just seems that Rafa frustrates and gets into Roger's head more than he does get into Novak's head.

The exhaustion of the match may have a bearing from a mental perspective. It was 3h44mins or something like that. Add in the fact that once match is finished, player has to attend press conference before they call it a night, and having to go from the high of the match and Novak might have gone to sleep around 3am or so! Not what you want when you have a final the next day. But he is pro athlete, young and he is very fit so that should not matter much

MIMIC
09-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Absolutely not. It's the same old song and dance when it comes to the Nadal-Federer match up. Maybe it might have gone to 5 but the last set would have surely been a rout.

Macbrother
09-12-2010, 06:16 AM
It's impossible to predict the form Federer would've had had he made the final. All we know for sure is that Fed's ability to kick it into overdrive and overwhelm his opponents, while still there, is going to become less and less often; and Djokovic was clearly the superior player in the last two games and, ultimately, the match. While it's unfortunate Djokovic doesn't have the seemingly inexhaustible reserve Federer does, I think he's played himself into the form player of the tournament. Hopefully it can carry over tomorrow.

nadal_slam_king
09-12-2010, 06:26 AM
Roger was god awful today with unforced errors coming out of his pants and going completely brainless for 2 sets and blowing 2 match points.

That said, players have a off-day and it was clearly his off-day with his serve under 47%. This was a completely different Roger than the one that show up against Soldering.

If Fed had won today and Soldering-Fed had shown up tomorrow, would he be more of a challenge against Rafa Nadal. Novak's chances aren't looking very good right now.

Soderling was hitting lots of his regular shots into the net, it wasn't the same level of competition as Djokovic. Hard to judge, no?

The 6-1 and 6-2 sets Federer lost to Djokovic, they looked like sets Federer wanted to lose, he donated and that's not good to see.

emotion
09-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Honestly Novak should've won in 4...

FormerRafaFan
09-12-2010, 06:38 AM
I doubt it.. If Federer plays as badly as he did yesterday Nadal would win for sure. Have no idea what happened out there on the court. Just looks like he gave up/brain farted, whatever you wanna call it.

Djokovic on the other hand owns Nadal in H2H on HC. Yes, Nadal has improved his serve, but I don't think it's good enough against a Nole on fire.

Only thing that would make Nadal stand a chance tomorrow is if Nole is tired after the 5 setter against Fed.

nadal_slam_king
09-12-2010, 06:41 AM
In 2008 Djokovic lost to Nadal in the only big important hardcourt match, it was at the Olympics and it was on a faster hardcourt than this US Open.

In 2009 Nadal was never fully fit, always low confidence, hard to judge Djokovic success there.

Nadal favorite to win Final no matter what fitness level Djokovic has, because Nadal's level now is more like 2008 than 2009, in fact better now than 2008.

cardio
09-12-2010, 07:15 AM
No. Tough five sets day before big final is still 5 sets + matchup issues. Also,it takes more time to recover if you are older. Nadal is fittest player on tour, but even he couldnt do it in Chennai 2008 and Madrid 2009, when he played long matches day before final.

Super Saturday is stupid indeed.

cutesteve22
09-12-2010, 07:46 AM
I think Roger will be fitter than Nole, but still couldn't win

nadal_slam_king
09-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Super Saturday is stupid indeed.

I guess it evens out over a career if you reach enough US Open Semis, you'll get both ends of it.

Allez
09-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Against any other opponent he might have stood a chance. Against nadal...no ways. He probably would have played even worse than he did in the semis.

born_on_clay
09-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Absolutely not

Jaz
09-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Soderling was hitting lots of his regular shots into the net, it wasn't the same level of competition as Djokovic. Hard to judge, no?

The 6-1 and 6-2 sets Federer lost to Djokovic, they looked like sets Federer wanted to lose, he donated and that's not good to see.

Err, are you stupid, anyone who has 50% first serves in, and in the sets he lost is was closer to 40%. That has nothing to do with Djoko, more to do with execution. More Ues than winners also. Ask any knowledgeable commentator and they will tell you that Federer was below-par, and a superb Djokovic won in 5 sets after an almighty struggle.

FormerRafaFan
09-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Against any other opponent he might have stood a chance. Against nadal...no ways. He probably would have played even worse than he did in the semis.

Confirmative.

ossie
09-12-2010, 12:05 PM
no he wouldnt. what many people forget is that rafa has a match-up advantage when hes playing against fed. doesnt matter how good feds playing rafa would just pummel that singlehanded backhand until he wins.

Persimmon
09-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Who knows. But Fed looked so fresh at the end of the match. He is a robot and never looks tired.