Any credit for Nole? Respect for Roger? - A thread for tennis fans [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Any credit for Nole? Respect for Roger? - A thread for tennis fans

dombrfc
09-12-2010, 12:16 AM
People seriously need to get over the Fed bitching. 29 years old and widely regarded as the greatest tennis player of all time. It is always going to come to an end, and we are now into this part of his career.
By all means we should talk about where Roger is heading in his tennis career, but some of these threads and posts are pathetic. I mean about handshakes and picking apart press comments.

Meanwhile, across the net, Novak Djokovic played just about the best of his life to save 2 match points and come through and win the match to reach the Final of the USOpen, give the man some credit, he was great when it counted and deserved the win!

Both players played largely quality tennis for four hours, let us appreciate that.

Anybody who wishes for a Federer demise just cannot be considered a tennis fan. Same being true of Nadal or any player on the tour for that matter.

Oh, and im an unashamed fed nut.

He still has chances in slams, and even then...his legacy will last forever :D

Swiss Mountain
09-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Thank you

Allez
09-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Viva Novak!

philosophicalarf
09-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Was this the same Djokovic that was broken to love at *5-6 in the first and third sets?

He was solid, fought well after many dispiriting moments. At the end of the day he only won because Federer was spraying errors all over, and even then had to hailmary on two matchpoints.

Time Violation
09-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Well, if Novak didn't make his errors, this could have been an easy three or four sets win for him, as he had chances in both sets he lost :)

Lee
09-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Was this the same Djokovic that was broken to love at *5-6 in the first and third sets?

He was solid, fought well after many dispiriting moments. At the end of the day he only won because Federer was spraying errors all over, and even then had to hailmary on two matchpoints.

Yes, we all know Federer only lost when he played badly. His opponents have nothing to do with Fed's lost. ;)

SheepleBuster
09-12-2010, 12:33 AM
People seriously need to get over the Fed bitching. 29 years old and widely regarded as the greatest tennis player of all time. It is always going to come to an end, and we are now into this part of his career.
By all means we should talk about where Roger is heading in his tennis career, but some of these threads and posts are pathetic. I mean about handshakes and picking apart press comments.

Meanwhile, across the net, Novak Djokovic played just about the best of his life to save 2 match points and come through and win the match to reach the Final of the USOpen, give the man some credit, he was great when it counted and deserved the win!

Oh, and im an unashamed fed nut.

Yes. I agree. Novak got very lucky to win today but I hope he wins tomorrow.

NikolaBGD
09-12-2010, 12:42 AM

Lucky?!:confused:

I think he was better player today...

As you said, better for Fed is to lose to Djokovic, Novak has a better chances in the final against Nadal:devil:

You still thinking that?!

SheepleBuster
09-12-2010, 12:44 AM

As you said, better for Fed is to lose to Djokovic, Novak has a better chances in the final against Nadal:devil:

You know I am a huge Federer fan. But I have never pushed hard for his opponent. I didn't pull against Roger. I thought if he won, he'd be OK against Rafa. But I just hope Novak is not too tired and ready for slam #2. THIS IS NADAL's LAST CHANCE TO WIN US OPEN. If Nole wins, he, Murray, and Del Potro will keep winning this for a few years.

laurie-1
09-12-2010, 01:05 AM

Novak got lucky. However, in those two match points saved, Novak was extremely brave and went for his shots - so he actually made his own luck.

You could say Del Potro did the same last year in the final, he went for his shots when he was behind.

Now if Murray wants to join Del Potro and Djokovic as Grand Slam winners, then he has to learn from these two young players, he has to be brave and go for it from beginning to end every time.

Silvester
09-12-2010, 01:17 AM
Huge Fed fan here however Credit has to be given to Novak, i've never seen him run down so many balls like tonight and not give up. SO I do give credit to Novak, however the amount of UE's that Fed had was unacceptable.

sanshisan
09-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Roger did not drop a set on the way to the semis. He put Soderling away in 3 sets with a flick of the wrist. Everyone thought Fed was playing fantastic. No one really expected Nole to beat Fed. Then all of a sudden against Djokovic, Fed's level of play suddenly dropped. Why do you think that happened? Because Djokovic was FORCING THE ERRORS.

I agree with the OP. With some of the knowitalls on MTF you can rest assured, everytime Nole wins the other guy is always a `clown', a `mug', `spraying errors all over' etc. EVEN if it's the great Federer who loses to Djokovic.

The commentators McEnroe and Erenberg agreed that Djokovic-Federer was `the best match of the entire tournament so far'. So why diss either player? They played their hearts out for nearly 4 solid hours. But that's just not good enough for SOME people oh no...

dombrfc
09-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Looks the haters dont want to argue in this one.

Jomp1
09-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Roger for sure played better against Sod in very windy conditions but that doesn't mean he tanked this match or is done with tennis.. Novak deserved to win because he was the steadier player throughout the match and in the end the one who dared to win going for winners. Kudos :wavey:

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-12-2010, 02:27 AM
well novak in theory should **** nadal in the final

but jokes has a nasty habit of fucking up when the goal is in sight

how could he lose at he olympics??????????????????

seriously

EKSTREMISTA
09-12-2010, 03:01 AM
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3153/46008279.jpg
http://www.yoursportsnightcap.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/federer_crying_aus_open_09.jpg

coonster14
09-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Nole was the better player, and deserved the win in the end, especially when you watch the way he saved those 2 match points down 4-5, 15-40, 2 forehand winners, that takes a lot of courage and being able to take risks (hope Murray was watching the match, he could learn a thing or two from Nole).

Don't know what happened to Roger out there, I really don't, I expected Roger to win since he did not drop a set en route to the SF, but his serve went AWOL, his play in the 2nd and 4th sets, what happened? :confused:

Full credit to Nole though, he is surely going to be tired after that big win, but he has absolutely nothing to lose tomorrow against Rafa, he should just go out there in the final and play the way he always has against Rafa on a HC.

Rafa is the one who will be feeling all the pressure, this is his big moment to win the one major he has yet to win, and to do so, he must beat an opponent who is one heck of a nightmare match-up for him on HC.

I love watching both Nole and Rafa, I just hope that it will be a 4 setter or 5 setter, I don't have a preference as to who wins, just don't want a straight sets routing.

Infinity
09-12-2010, 03:24 AM
Novak played bad, and Roger played worse. The fifth set is good to very good quality though.

uNIVERSE mAN
09-12-2010, 03:26 AM
As usual, Federer fucks off in the fifth.

r2473
09-12-2010, 04:38 AM
It's so obvious that Federer tanked the 5th set becasue:

1) He was too afraid to face Nadal in the finals

2) He also knew that MTF fans are sick of Fedal and wouldn't have watched a final between him and Nadal. We all know Nadal / Federer matches are shit quality. Federer lost for his fans.

Also, Uncle Toni fixed the match.....forced it to go 5 sets so Nadal could just cruise to victory tomorrow.

Finally, the match was shit quality and everybody chocked........twice.

It may have appeared that Nole played an excellent match and showed a lot of heart and fight to save the match points and close it out......however, if you think that, it shows that you are simply a mug fan that just started watching tennis in 2005 and are clearly not one of the MTF cognoscenti.

jcempire
09-12-2010, 04:40 AM

Completely agree. Obviously, Djoker is a better player than Fed this time. He should take it

tennismaster1978
09-12-2010, 04:50 AM
Roger did not drop a set on the way to the semis. He put Soderling away in 3 sets with a flick of the wrist. Everyone thought Fed was playing fantastic. No one really expected Nole to beat Fed. Then all of a sudden against Djokovic, Fed's level of play suddenly dropped. Why do you think that happened? Because Djokovic was FORCING THE ERRORS.

I agree with the OP. With some of the knowitalls on MTF you can rest assured, everytime Nole wins the other guy is always a `clown', a `mug', `spraying errors all over' etc. EVEN if it's the great Federer who loses to Djokovic.

The commentators McEnroe and Erenberg agreed that Djokovic-Federer was `the best match of the entire tournament so far'. So why diss either player? They played their hearts out for nearly 4 solid hours. But that's just not good enough for SOME people oh no...

fed had been serving aroung 60% all tournament. In the semis around 48%. That's why he lost. He could not serve. Thats not the joker. Fed had an off night and it cost him. And Im not sure, with another year of aging, that he will ever have this chance again. He's still the greatest Grand slam champ in the history of our sport. So have respect!!!!!!!

tennismaster1978
09-12-2010, 04:57 AM
It's so obvious that Federer tanked the 5th set becasue:

1) He was too afraid to face Nadal in the finals

2) He also knew that MTF fans are sick of Fedal and wouldn't have watched a final between him and Nadal. We all know Nadal / Federer matches are shit quality. Federer lost for his fans.

Also, Uncle Toni fixed the match.....forced it to go 5 sets so Nadal could just cruise to victory tomorrow.

Finally, the match was shit quality and everybody chocked........twice.

It may have appeared that Nole played an excellent match and showed a lot of heart and fight to save the match points and close it out......however, if you think that, it shows that you are simply a mug fan that just started watching tennis in 2005 and are clearly not one of the MTF cognoscenti.
You may need meds

tennismaster1978
09-12-2010, 04:58 AM
no!!!!!!!!!!!

FormerRafaFan
09-12-2010, 07:14 AM
You know I am a huge Federer fan. But I have never pushed hard for his opponent. I didn't pull against Roger. I thought if he won, he'd be OK against Rafa. But I just hope Novak is not too tired and ready for slam #2. THIS IS NADAL's LAST CHANCE TO WIN US OPEN. If Nole wins, he, Murray, and Del Potro will keep winning this for a few years.

I agree with this. It's now or never for Nadal. That's why it's so crucial that he plays the best tennis of his life tomorrow to grab the title. No doubt it'll be hard though. Nole is still the favorite imo, even with the improvments Rafa has done.

born_on_clay
09-12-2010, 11:40 AM
as I have already said before Nole deserved to win :)

NJ88
09-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Can't believe a lot of folk aren't giving Nole credit. Sure he folded twice in the two sets he lost, but he came back every time and played to a fantastic level when he needed it most. He showed great heart in saving those two match points and going on to win the match, I was convinced he was going to give his service game up in the last game, but he held on and won one of the most important matches of his career.

His shots were all working great for the majority of the match, and he played his best since 2007/08, I give him all the credit in the world for pulling through that one.

Jade Fox
09-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I'll credit him alright.

It just seems that this US Open has been one giant "FUCK YOU!!!" from Novak to his critics and haters. From thinking that he will melt in the heat to pretty much penciling in a Fedal final before the semifinals were even completed, most people had written Novak off.

I think at some point he must have gotten pretty pissed off about it and his semi against Roger was a major statement. He might lose later today against Nadal, but I think a corner might have turned for Novak.

Of course, only time will tell.

MacTheKnife
09-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Djok deserves all credit. They both had plenty of opportunities to win the match but Djok held his nerve and took advantage of his opportunities. They both got tight at times and both played great at times, but in the end, Djok simply played the biggest points better.

FEDERERBEAUTY
09-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Thank you. The only thread worth commenting on at this point. Life is too short to bother with the tennis haters polluting the other threads.

Well done, Novak. He played a great match and earned his victory by a slim margin over Fed who also played extremely well at many points in the match.
I believe had Fed made the final he would have beaten Nadal, i think he was pumped up enough for it.

However, now it's Nole in the final, I think he has earned his second slam. And for the record, I don't mind hid dad's T shirt at all. It's trashy but rather sweet:)

sanshisan
09-12-2010, 12:11 PM
fed had been serving aroung 60% all tournament. In the semis around 48%. That's why he lost. He could not serve. Thats not the joker. Fed had an off night and it cost him. And Im not sure, with another year of aging, that he will ever have this chance again. He's still the greatest Grand slam champ in the history of our sport. So have respect!!!!!!!

People make the mistake of thinking tennis is all about the serve, all about how many aces you get. If that were true you would have players like Fish, Querry and Isner winning alot more.

Just keep in mind there's only one way to get an ace - when the opponent is unable to return it. Novak is one of the best returners in the game.

And when Federer did get his first serve in, Novak was very strong in the rallies.

Ben.
09-12-2010, 12:13 PM
He deserves plenty of credit for sure. Coming back after getting tight at the end of the first and third sets was something I didn't think he would do and on the match points Federer allowed Djokovic to have them on his racket and he held his nerve and saved them both with winners. Then also saving a BP when serving for it. Maybe the fact he was being written off almost unanimously in this semi took all the presure off him, what a match to get your first victory over a top 10 player all year. He was a rock in the 5th set, very few errors. It could signal his return to form.

sanshisan
09-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I'll credit him alright.

It just seems that this US Open has been one giant "FUCK YOU!!!" from Novak to his critics and haters. From thinking that he will melt in the heat to pretty much penciling in a Fedal final before the semifinals were even completed, most people had written Novak off.

I think at some point he must have gotten pretty pissed off about it and his semi against Roger was a major statement. He might lose later today against Nadal, but I think a corner might have turned for Novak.

Well done. It was like Novak, a former NY finalist wasn't even there. All the commentators could talk about was their `dream final' betw Nadal and Federer. Frankly I am tired of watching Nadal and Federer play for the championship.

munZe konZa
09-12-2010, 12:26 PM
People make the mistake of thinking tennis is all about the serve, all about how many aces you get. If that were true you would have players like Fish, Querry and Isner winning alot more.

Just keep in mind there's only one way to get an ace - when the opponent is unable to return it. Novak is one of the best returners in the game.

And when Federer did get his first serve in, Novak was very strong in the rallies.

Federer was going for a lot more on his serve because he knew that he was dominated in the rallies. His serve was the only thing keeping him in the match anyway

sanshisan
09-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Federer was going for a lot more on his serve because he knew that he was dominated in the rallies. His serve was the only thing keeping him in the match anyway

Good point :)

Fed had 12 aces to Novak's 4, but that still wasn't enough.

andylovesaustin
09-12-2010, 01:17 PM
well novak in theory should **** nadal in the final

but jokes has a nasty habit of fucking up when the goal is in sight

how could he lose at he olympics??????????????????

seriously

This.

As much as I think Nole has the game to beat Rafa--as he has proved. I just wonder about the Nole who is going to show-up today. If it's the Nole from yesterday.. then Rafa is gonna have all he can handle. If it's a tired and sore Nole--or if Nole thinks too much about the task at hand.... then Nole is gonna have all he can handle from Rafa.

I think most people here respect Roger's accomplishments. Nole just rose to the occasion better yesterday than Roger. There is no doubt who has the better record. But yesterday, Nole didn't go away. It was Roger who had some severe lapses... I mean c'mon 6-1 in the second set?

Anyway...Nole knew it had been close in the past.. so he just went out there and played his game.

Roger just didn't seem to know what to do out there. Shit happens sometimes.

BigJohn
09-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Yes, we all know Federer only lost when he played badly. His opponents have nothing to do with Fed's lost. ;)

Unexpected trolling there ^^

This thread means well, sadly, Fedhaters are unable to recognize his greatness.

EKSTREMISTA
09-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I'll credit him alright.

Great post,Jade Fox.

Jaz
09-12-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm a Federer fan.

Novak played very well. His temperament was exceptional and he played the big points well. He fully deserves his victory, and I wish him all the luck against Nadal.

Secondly, and in my mind importantly, Federer did not play well. His serve was 50% - Most players would lose with that, in the sets he lost his serve was a SHOCKING 40%. Doesn't matter how good you are as a baseline player, with those kind of stats you are not going to win at this level. He had two match point, and lost them both with a combination of passive play and Novak playing his shots.

Federer deserved to lose, and Novak deserved to win.

Nole fan
09-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Posted by ixvnyc 09/12/2010 at 02:42 AM

"enough joking around, let's talk some tennis.

when you keep hitting service winners all tournament, and you finally run into
the guy who keeps retuning them deep... the fact that your serve comes undone as the match goes on MOST CERTAINLY has something to do with that guy!

when you keep running forward and finishing guys off at the net all tournament, and you
finally run into the guy who can hit a passing shot, who can guess which way you send the volley... the fact that you become hesitant to attack MOST CERTAINLY has something to do with that guy!

when you keep building large leads over the guys who can't string a bunch of points without making an UFE, and then you finally run into the guy who just doesn't err much...
the fact that you start making errors while trying to figure out a new way to win the points that no longer just open themselves up for you MOST CERTAINLY has something to do with...

NOVAK DJOKOVIC!"

I think this sums it up perfectly. I can't be bothered right now to write the explanation myself, I'm knackered.