Federer: "I won't watch but I hope Rafa wins." [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer: "I won't watch but I hope Rafa wins."

Roamed
09-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Saying that when Rafa winning would, for some people, indirectly demean his own achievements is a very nice gesture in my opinion.

Also, on Nole: "The guys who overlooked Djokovic don't know anything about tennis."

Quotes from @TennisReporters and @SIOpenSource on Twitter.

Certinfy
09-11-2010, 11:51 PM
:haha: What an asshole.

Arkulari
09-11-2010, 11:53 PM
of course he wants Rafa to get his CGS, he knows history is in the making :shrug:

Jaz
09-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Such a jerk this Federer

Persimmon
09-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Poor Fed.

I was watching the SF with some fedfanatics and boy they were sad at the end.

One of the girls shed a tear and all..

Why So Serious?
09-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Lol, he's just scared to drop his ranking if Djoker wins :haha:

Allez
09-11-2010, 11:56 PM
I don't believe he said that. Show me the source. Fed would never pick sides like that, especially against a player of Nole's calibre. Stop stirring :rolleyes:

peribsen
09-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Saying that when Rafa winning would, for some people, indirectly demean his own achievements is a very nice gesture in my opinion.

Not too kind on Nole. Fed should be and is above those people you mention, just the same as Rafa.

Also, on Nole: "The guys who overlooked Djokovic don't know anything about tennis."

Agree absolutely with this part.

jadey
09-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Poor Fed.

I was watching the SF with some fedfanatics and boy they were sad at the end.

One of the girls shed a tear and all..

for SOME fedfans , following him is their religion , I cannot imagine crying over a tennis match ever !!!

dombrfc
09-11-2010, 11:59 PM
I highly doubt these are direct quotes.

Andi-M
09-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Very professional from Fed, remaining impartial like that.

peribsen
09-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Very professional from Fed, remaining impartial like that.

Impartial? He said he hopes Rafa wins, how is that impartial?

Allez
09-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Impartial? He said he hopes Rafa wins, how is that impartial?

There's something called sarcasm. Check it out :rolleyes:

emotion
09-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Sarcasm?

Kinda an asshole thing to say

dombrfc
09-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Probably best to take a break from MTF whilst the haters (none of which are tennis fans) flood the place.

tennishero
09-12-2010, 12:12 AM
nice jinx from federer :)

moon language
09-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Federer: "Only positive to take out of this is that it wasnt the final."

Tank confirmed! (just kidding)

Allez
09-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Sarcasm?

Kinda an asshole thing to say

uhm...I don't expect a lot of peeps to get the English sense of humour.

superslam77
09-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Fed doesn't like Djokovic but likes Rafa...i cannot understand why though...It should be the other way around!

Rosa Luxembourg
09-12-2010, 12:19 AM
wow some hypersensitive moron around here... Federer owes nothing to anyone and it is not against any rules/sportsmanship to pick the side. it is obvious he would want Rafa to win - they are friends

peribsen
09-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Fed doesn't like Djokovic but likes Rafa...i cannot understand why though...It should be the other way around!

Why? He actually knows both guys and can judge whom he likes best.

If you mean Rafa beats him more often, well, master-class players tend to respect other master-class players, while they're pissed by the occasional loss to a player they do not consider in the same class.

superslam77
09-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Why? He actually knows both guys and can judge whom he likes best.

If you mean Rafa beats him more often, well, master-class players tend to respect other master-class players, while they're pissed by the occasional loss to a player they do not consider in the same class.

not because of who matchup but because of personality. i guess Fed likes quit people over jokers...i bet it has to do with the djoke family incident and the imitations.

SheepleBuster
09-12-2010, 12:25 AM
:haha: What an asshole.

WTF? If he said I hope Nole wins, you'd say the same thing. Do you expect him to watch this match? Really? You don't know anything about being a player. This guy is a dad. He lost a heart-breaker. Why should he watch tomorrow's final? He wished Rafa the best. What more do you expect?

andylovesaustin
09-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Federer: "Only positive to take out of this is that it wasnt the final."

Tank confirmed! (just kidding)

With all due respect to the GOAT... and I mean the GOAT the negative is he didn't make it to the final... Yeah.. it's something to proud of to make it to the semis and lose. But..then again to make it to the finals.. well to me that's better.

Do ya think he was afraid to meet Rafito and possibly lose?

You know what? It would be human... and understandable. Roger is past his prime and Rafa is peaking sooo so yeah... I don't hold it against Roger.

ShotmaKer
09-12-2010, 12:30 AM
With all due respect to the GOAT... and I mean the GOAT the negative is he didn't make it to the final... Yeah.. it's something to proud of to make it to the semis and lose. But..then again to make it to the finals.. well to me that's better.

Do ya think he was afraid to meet Rafito and possibly lose?

You know what? It would be human... and understandable. Roger is past his prime and Rafa is peaking sooo so yeah... I don't hold it against Roger.

I think he said that with regard to the fact that he lost a tight 5 setter where he had match point, like he feels it would hurt more if it was the final.

andylovesaustin
09-12-2010, 12:33 AM
I think he said that with regard to the fact that he lost a tight 5 setter where he had match point, like he feels it would hurt more if it was the final.

I can see that.

Losing is a bitch.... period. As I said... I speak from experience!;):)

Aaric
09-12-2010, 12:35 AM
I dont know if Roger actually thinks that, Career Golden Slam > Career Slam though 16>9

SheepleBuster
09-12-2010, 12:37 AM
I dont know if Roger actually thinks that, Career Golden Slam > Career Slam though 16>9

Who the F cares about Olympics, the game of the Illuminati. No wonder Hitler loved the Olympics.

cloudeleven
09-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Lol, he's just scared to drop his ranking if Djoker wins :haha:

Ding ding ding! :lol:

Kip
09-12-2010, 12:42 AM
:spit:

Gotta love the ATP Diva's! :cool:

Chair Umpire
09-12-2010, 12:43 AM

That's probably because Roger is not a childish jerk who cannot take defeats sportively.

@Sweet Cleopatra
09-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Thanks Fed.

And his fans shouldn't be sad, he won 16 grand slam. More than any one else in history.

10is-
09-12-2010, 01:01 AM
I just watched the entire press conference and he DID NOT fucking say "I hope Rafa wins". Idiots!

Roamed
09-12-2010, 01:05 AM
I just watched the entire press conference and he DID NOT fucking say "I hope Rafa wins". Idiots!

I just watched it and he did say it..? About 2/5 of the way through:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?promo=PhotoInNav&category=press

jenanun
09-12-2010, 01:39 AM
and I confirm roger did say those words in the press conference.

dombrfc
09-12-2010, 01:41 AM
He said it, although it wasnt a serious comment in all honesty.

He also wishes nole 'the best of luck', twice

Ozone
09-12-2010, 01:43 AM
The title is a bit misleading. if u watched the press conference it makes sense and isnt mean to nole really

Ozone
09-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Yeah

dombrfc
09-12-2010, 01:44 AM
The title is a bit misleading. if u watched the press conference it makes sense and isnt mean to nole really

This, there is nothing else to say on the matter.

Johnny Groove
09-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Bullshit.

You know he's gonna watch.

cocrcici
09-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Bullshit.

You know he's gonna watch.

:cool:

Florida
09-12-2010, 02:39 AM
He said: I hope he wins! He did not say who?

tangerine_dream
09-12-2010, 03:10 AM
At least he picked a side this time. Remember what he said after he lost to Djokovic in the 2008 AO SF:

Reporter: Do you think he'll [Djokovic] go on to win?
Federer: I don't really care.

:lol:

Aloevera
09-12-2010, 04:14 AM
At least he picked a side this time. Remember what he said after he lost to Djokovic in the 2008 AO SF:

Reporter: Do you think he'll [Djokovic] go on to win?
Federer: I don't really care.

:lol:

Can't blame him.

1. In AO 2007, Nole said that he had two words about Fed... "Federer is done" The media here mocked him that he couldn't count and later Nole was schooled.
2. In AO 2008 Nole was sooooo over hyped.
3. Federer was exhausted and sick from stomachache. Can't imagine how sour his mind was, being beaten by a prick who took advantage of his condition to win the title.
4. The King is DEAD. Long live the King. :lol:

HNCS
09-12-2010, 04:14 AM
er.....i love taking quotes out of context.... the reporter immediately asked "why" and he said, because he wanted to have some time with his kids, go shopping, and that the last he wanted to do after weeks and weeks of tennis was to watch another tennis match.....

FormerRafaFan
09-12-2010, 07:22 AM

Quotes from @TennisReporters and @SIOpenSource on Twitter.

I agree about everything Fed said here. Well, I do admit that I have never liked the guy, but he does get a few points in my book for saying those nice thing about Rafa. Maybe Fed isn't so bad after all? :)

BTW, Nole is a major threat to Nadal. I'm a fan of Rafa but even I think Nole is the favorite going into this match.

JolánGagó
09-12-2010, 07:29 AM
He knows he'll never be n.1 again but n.3 is too much to bear. Nole must lose.

Allez
09-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Oh please what Roger said is being taken completely out of context here!

Eden
09-12-2010, 08:55 AM
He knows he'll never be n.1 again but n.3 is too much to bear. Nole must lose.

He has already been to #3 this year so he knows how it is to be ranked there ;)

You just got to love GM. Roger only has positive to say about Rafa and Novak but people still find something to argue about.

fed invented god
09-12-2010, 09:23 AM
who would watch a nadal match anyway?

iriraz
09-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Most of the players when they loose in a tournament want to get as far as possible from the venue.Do u really believe Sampras was watching when Agassi played a final or vice versa?No way.When someone looses he goes home or goes on a holiday and enjoys his life

munZe konZa
09-12-2010, 10:27 AM

it was an unintended honesty if anything

born_on_clay
09-12-2010, 11:13 AM
:d

Chair Umpire
09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Fed can support whoever he wants.

Persimmon
09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
BTW, looks like Verdasco jinxed Fed....

Serenidad
09-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Loserer at it again. Should have just cried.

latso
09-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Loserer at it again. Should have just cried.
u go to Brasov drying talentless Brands' tears

peribsen
09-12-2010, 09:43 PM

Let's see... wait a sec... got it on the tip of my tongue... ehmmm...yeah, got it: like 99% of people who care about tennis?

FormerRafaFan
09-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Let's see... wait a sec... got it on the tip of my tongue... ehmmm...yeah, got it: like 99% of people who care about tennis?

Which means 1 % of MTF since 99 % of these people are Rafa haters.

propi
09-12-2010, 10:22 PM
What's the fuss, reading this forum is hard to believe but despite the hate between tards from both sides Rogie and Rafa like each other, they won't be best friends forever but they respect each other as players and firstly as persons and their relationship has been closer with the pass of the time, the bigger their rivalry was the better friends they become.
Nadal was the first one to say he wanted Rogie win RG and complete his career slam so maybe now it's the swiss who wants to see Rafa doing so

Jomp1
09-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Lets go thru this. Roger is sponsored by Nike. Rafa is..sponsored by nike. They play charity/promotion events together. Happy to help!

freeandlonely
09-12-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't care much but I hope Roger gives some credits to Nole if Nole won.

Mjau!
09-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Roger is just trying to give people the (false) impression that he's not bothered by the possibility of Rafito catching him in the slam count.

Silvester
09-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Roger is just trying to give people the (false) impression that he's not bothered by the possibility of Rafito catching him in the slam count.

I think us fans care more than the players. Do you think Sampras made a huge deal when Fed passed him? Records are made to be broken and if Rafa doesn't do it, someone else will one day.

bayvalle
09-13-2010, 01:25 AM

His victory on Monday (if he beats Djoko) may forever be tainted by lingering doubts emanating from how he "easily" got past Lopez and Verdasco in R4 and quarterfinals. Nevertheless, a win is a win, no matter how one gets it. Advance congratulations to Nadal. By the time the number of his GS titles reach double digits, it will just be a matter of time before his fans begin to talk about when he will surpass Fed's 16.

viruzzz
09-13-2010, 01:32 AM
*sigh*
MTF is full, very full of haters.
Federer is the best player in history... Why don't they understand that?

freeandlonely
09-13-2010, 02:11 AM
I think us fans care more than the players. Do you think Sampras made a huge deal when Fed passed him? Records are made to be broken and if Rafa doesn't do it, someone else will one day.

I doubt.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-13-2010, 02:27 AM
ingrateful bastards

when nadal got his ass handed to him by soderking

he said i hope fed win, and everyone got on their highhorse to say how nice he was

fed does exactly the same and everyone attacks him and calls him arrogant

so much bullshit on this site yo

Serenidad
09-13-2010, 02:36 AM
u go to Brasov drying talentless Brands' tears

Brands has a future ahead of him.

Sophocles
09-13-2010, 02:52 AM
As I remember it, Nadal didn't say he wanted Federer to win R.G. When asked, he said he wanted another Spaniard to win, & support for Federer's historic achievement had to be dragged out of him by journalists. Which, frankly, is fine. Why should he have wanted Federer to win? Nadal was far more likely to lose his No. 1 ranking if he did.

As for this pointless thread, it is clear from Fed's interview he's not rooting for one player or the other.

brent-o
09-13-2010, 03:01 AM
Lets go thru this. Roger is sponsored by Nike. Rafa is..sponsored by nike. They play charity/promotion events together. Happy to help!

So you're saying their friendship is manufactured? Have you seen that bloopers vid of that promo they did together? They seemed to genuinely enjoy each other's company to me.

sco
09-13-2010, 03:22 AM
I think it's funny that he doesn't know if stores are open in NY on Sunday because he's been playing the finals the past 6 years. I guess he wasn't into shopping as much in 2003 and before.

Filo V.
09-13-2010, 03:49 AM
Roger knows how much this event means to Rafa, and how much winning this event will raise Rafa's prestige when it comes to the all time greats in the game. Which in turn makes Roger look better, and also he's friends with Rafa and we know he's had a rocky relationship with Nole. This quote is not surprising.

Mimi
09-13-2010, 04:19 AM
thank you roger:wavey:

tennis2tennis
09-13-2010, 05:09 AM
ingrateful bastards

when nadal got his ass handed to him by soderking

he said i hope fed win, and everyone got on their highhorse to say how nice he was

fed does exactly the same and everyone attacks him and calls him arrogant

so much bullshit on this site yo

+1

I also think Roger likes Rafa's personality more than nole....he feels closer to rafa than nole

Rafa#Uno:-)
09-13-2010, 09:19 AM
fed was so dissapointed loosing to nole thats why he say so

Rafa#Uno:-)
09-13-2010, 09:21 AM
its a loose-loose situation for fed

rafa wins and we know what that means all GS plus more points on the ranking

nole wins and he can pass fed on the ranking

so he will not watch the match on sunday but maybe monday....

bayvalle
09-13-2010, 09:45 AM
its a loose-loose situation for fed

rafa wins and we know what that means all GS plus more points on the ranking

nole wins and he can pass fed on the ranking

so he will not watch the match on sunday but maybe monday....

I agree it is a lose-lose situation for Fed. In the event however of a Rafa win, it will be of consolation for Roger fans if Djoko wins at least one set off Nadal to avert a perfect 3-set won record for Rafa.

Looking back, those Nadal's victories over Verdasco and Lopez in R4 and quarterfinals will remain highly questionable to me for a long period of time. Those Spaniards.

LoveFifteen
09-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Looking back, those Nadal's victories over Verdasco and Lopez in R4 and quarterfinals will remain highly questionable to me for a long period of time. Those Spaniards.

:spit:

Delusional much?! :rolls: