Roddick or Hewitt: who will clinch the year-end number two ranking? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick or Hewitt: who will clinch the year-end number two ranking?

crimson
09-14-2004, 05:51 PM
So with Roger having sealed the year-end number one ranking, these two will probably be fighting it out for the number two ranking. Chances are that they will play each other at least once, probably more if they meet in one of the TMS, before the end of the year.

The head-to-head is 3-1 to Hewitt, although Roddick won the last match (at Queen's in June).

2004 London / Queen's Club
England Grass S Roddick 7 6 6 3

2001 US Open, Hard, Q
NY, U.S.A. Hard Q Hewitt 6 7 6 3 6 4 3 6 6 4

2001 Roland Garros, Clay, R32
France Clay R32 Hewitt 6 7 6 4 2 2

2001 Miami Ericsson Open, Hard, Q
FL, U.S.A. Hard Q Hewitt 6 3 6 2

So who do you think will make it? Until the US Open it seemed that Roddick would stay on at number two, but Hewitt has come back strongly this summer and also has nothing to defend for the rest of the year, so can only gain points from now on. However, if Roddick does well enough at the TMS and Houston then he can still hold on to it. So it's open at the moment and the number two ranking might well come down to their results at the TMC.

ae wowww
09-14-2004, 05:58 PM
no way could be hewitt.... he hasnt done enough: or shall we say enough as Roddick. good thread btw

jtipson
09-14-2004, 06:07 PM
It's a toss-up at the moment. There's only 36 race points between them (Roddick ahead), and 350 points from required tournaments to play for. So it could go to either of them. With number one already done and dusted, it would be nice to see them battle it out in Houston.

I'd go with Hewitt. He's not bad indoors in Europe (made Bercy final 2 years ago, won Rotterdam earlier this year), and seems to be getting back his confidence. Roddick may bounce back very well from losing his USO title, but he might not; he may also have the DC final to concentrate on at the end of the year.

FryslanBoppe
09-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Hewitt does have less points to defend and Roddick doesn't do that well after the US Open, so I will go with Hewitt.

ae wowww
09-14-2004, 06:17 PM
It's a toss-up at the moment. There's only 36 race points between them (Roddick ahead), and 350 points from required tournaments to play for. So it could go to either of them. With number one already done and dusted, it would be nice to see them battle it out in Houston.

I'd go with Hewitt. He's not bad indoors in Europe (made Bercy final 2 years ago, won Rotterdam earlier this year), and seems to be getting back his confidence. Roddick may bounce back very well from losing his USO title, but he might not; he may also have the DC final to concentrate on at the end of the year.

v.interesting

Fee
09-14-2004, 07:23 PM
I'd go with Hewitt. Absolutely no points to defend from last year (Andy has a few) and Andy just doesn't seem to play that well in Europe. As for the race, I'd also go with Hewitt there, he will probably do better in Madrid and Paris than Andy will. But, it would be good to have it decided in Houston, bring a little bit of excitement to the week.

I reserve the right to change my opinion after the Davis Cup ties, which could possibly affect both players' motivation.

Socket
09-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Lleyton has nothing to defend, and I think he'll get past the US Open faster than Andy will. As painful as the final was to Lleyton, I think that Andy will find losing his trophy even more painful, and especially since he lost well before the final and to a relatively unknown player, and at his home slam. On the other hand, Lleyton may get married between now and the end of the year, which could limit his playing time. Hmm, I'm still going with Lleyton, because even with an upcoming marriage, he's still the most competitive guy out there.

BTW, based on what I've heard the players say, they don't really seem to worry all that much whether they're ranked 2, 3, or 4. Being inside the top 4 is very important, as is being No. 1 of course, but it's the top 4 who get to avoid one another until the SFs at the slams, and that's what matters to them. I suspect the fans and the media care worry about this more than the players do (although it's still interesting to talk about).

BaselineSmash
09-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Hewitt seems hungrier, I'll go with him.

martirogi
09-14-2004, 10:49 PM
roddick by over 100 points

azza
09-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Hewitt does have less points to defend and Roddick doesn't do that well after the US Open, so I will go with Hewitt.

Lleyton has Zilch nuda 0 to defend for the rest of the yera to be exact
;)

naiwen
09-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Several mentioned defending points. But I think it'd be easier to look at the CR points if we're talking year-end ranking. We just need to see who will get more points before year-end since Hewitt is only 36 points behind Roddick. Nothing to do with the defending stuff, right?

Fergie
09-14-2004, 11:22 PM
I wish, I hope ... Lleyton :yeah:

Socket
09-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Several mentioned defending points. But I think it'd be easier to look at the CR points if we're talking year-end ranking. We just need to see who will get more points before year-end since Hewitt is only 36 points behind Roddick. Nothing to do with the defending stuff, right?

Yes, CR has nothing to do with defending points, that's ER. I think the ATP considers the CR to determine the year-end No. 1. Personally, I prefer the ER system, precisely because it does make you defend your points year after year, which I think is harder than simply accumulating points from scratch in January. Anyway, right now, there's not much between the two systems for the guys at the top.

Lisbeth
09-15-2004, 12:56 AM
I think Hewitt will scrape through for it - but only just. Of course, I could just be being hopeful ;) but this is my logic - Hewitt has a better record on indoor courts which make up most of the rest of the season, plus he had done consistently well at the Masters Cup. Hewitt's not any defending points from any of these of course, but that's not really the issue - it's whether or not he will do better than Roddick for the rest of the year.

As to who "deserves" to be #2, I think it's extremely close. Hewitt has had a very marginally better run at the slams this year, but obviously Roddick must have had a better year overall or he wouldn't still be ahead in the race. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

Incidentally, I understand what the ATP's trying to do with the Race, but I still think having two ranking systems is confusing and silly.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-15-2004, 01:29 AM
Hewitt.

jazz_girl
09-15-2004, 02:10 AM
I think Roddick will stay at N°2, but I've been wrong many times in the past ;)

WyveN
09-15-2004, 02:21 AM
Hewitt didnt seem that interested in the rest of the year apart from DC. Wouldnt be surprised if he takes some time of like last year to regather energy and he has said repeatadly that he wont go to tournaments just to chase a ranking.

Havok
09-15-2004, 04:36 AM
ALso take into consideration that Lleyton can't add a whole lot in his optional 5 tournaments, while Andy still has room to improve on that (I think he's playing at least 2, maybe 3 other events than the TMS and TMC tournies) Hewitt does play better than Andy in this European swing, but I think Andy will improve this year. That loss to MAssu at TMS MAdrid was :retard:, but he made it to the semis of Bercy which isn't too bad. Also this year he'll have more energy in the tank since he didn't pull another summer hardcourt streak like he did last year. Edge to Hewitt based on past history, but I wouldn't rule Andy out either.

alfonsojose
09-15-2004, 05:07 AM
Hewitt will need all his energy to handle Kim :inlove:

Smankyou
09-15-2004, 06:21 AM
Andy. Like WyveN mentioned, Lleyton has repeatedly said that he doesn't intend on playing smaller tournaments in the hopes of raising in ranking.

Daniel
09-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Lleyton

Roger-No.1
10-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Statistical tie

roisin
10-28-2004, 07:51 PM
roddick

Black Adam
10-28-2004, 08:08 PM
roddick

Havok
10-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Statistical tie
:haha: Though aren't there tie-breakers that come into play if this should happen?

maratski
10-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Statistically it's possible for Marat to take the second place in the rankings ;)

Roger-No.1
10-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Though aren't there tie-breakers that come into play if this should happen?

That's why it's "statistical tie", not "tie". :cool:

LiZpHaIr
10-29-2004, 12:44 AM
Hewitt...Because I hate Roddick.

Socket
10-29-2004, 01:51 AM
Boy, how ironic some of the comments in this thread (especially mine) seem now, given that Kim and Lleyton have broken up. I'm now tempted to change my vote, because I (sadly) think that Lleyton will be very distracted by the breakup and it will affect his performance for a while. Hope I'm wrong.

Deboogle!.
10-29-2004, 02:26 AM
Well Andy's playing Paris so that could help his cause if he wins a few matches. It'll probably come down to Houston, though.

Roger-No.1
11-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Boy, how ironic some of the comments in this thread (especially mine) seem now, given that Kim and Lleyton have broken up. I'm now tempted to change my vote, because I (sadly) think that Lleyton will be very distracted by the breakup and it will affect his performance for a while. Hope I'm wrong.

:hug:

tangerine_dream
11-05-2004, 05:49 PM

I was thinking that after the breakup Lleyton would now throw all of his energy behind winning the No. 2 spot.

Socket
11-05-2004, 07:36 PM
:hug:
Thanks! :kiss:

Socket
11-05-2004, 07:41 PM
I was thinking that after the breakup Lleyton would now throw all of his energy behind winning the No. 2 spot.
That might be his desire, but I think it'll be hard to pull off. Mental stress is bound to affect his on-court performance. February will be the hardest time, since that's when the wedding was scheduled, but after that, hopefully, things will start to become a little easier. And the pressure and public scrutiny he'll get at the Aussie Open probably means another sub-par performance. Hopefully, Clijsters will be a no-show, which would make it marginally easier for him. :sad:

mitalidas
11-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Maybe you should alter the thread title to:
Roddick or Hewitt or Safin: who will clinch the year-end number two ranking?

Horatio Caine
11-05-2004, 08:10 PM
How about Mad Marat?

Roger-No.1
11-05-2004, 11:27 PM
2. Roddick ---671
3. Hewitt ----638
4. Safin -----517

Safin should win Paris. He's BNP Paribas.

Pea
11-05-2004, 11:39 PM
rodduck has semifinal points to defend at TMC.....................................

Roger-No.1
11-05-2004, 11:47 PM
rodduck has semifinal points to defend at TMC.....................................
That's right.... Pea! :yeah: :)

Havok
11-05-2004, 11:49 PM
All TMC points are being taken out before the tournament is being played. The rankings will be an exact copy of the race pts, just 5 times the value.

Roger-No.1
11-05-2004, 11:51 PM
The rankings will be an exact copy of the race pts, just 5 times the value.
That's correct Naldo.

Havok
11-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Yes I know that, which is why I said it.:)