If Federer defeat Nadal in final... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If Federer defeat Nadal in final...

Lebeuf
09-11-2010, 05:14 AM
First of all , right now I don't think the Federer-Nadal thing is as important as it was because of Federer's age.As unfair as it might sound , a Federer loss would mean a lot less than a Federer win.Here's something I thought about about the Federer defat Nadal scenario.If Nadal loses to Federer in the final of arguably the best surface of Federer , it means all those losses at Rolland Garros just advantage Federer because he was able to reach the fight vs Nadal , to the contrary of Nadal that just reach the us open final one time and getting beat , which would suggest he would have lost in past years vs Federer at us open because Federer was in better form past few years.Sure this is just food for thoughts but this match could be very important.Best of luck to both of them.

Forehander
09-11-2010, 05:23 AM
He'll maintain his GOAT status for a little while longer apparently until Nadal defeats him again in another Grand Slam final lol

Lebeuf
09-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Despite what everybody says , I think Federer was always stronger at the Us Open than at Wimbledon because of better competition at the US open.So if Federer beat Nadal at the Us Open it's his own Rolland Garros , so we have to look at wimbledon and AO for neutral ground and it's 2-2.

good_gambler
09-11-2010, 05:35 AM
Are you from the French speaking part of Canada? :tape:

Topspindoctor
09-11-2010, 06:03 AM
People are underrating Nole and assuming Fed already has final in the bag. Remember he beat him in SF once and he can do so again. Go Djoker!

FormerRafaFan
09-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Everyone's saying Federer is going to win USO. I'm not saying that he won't. He is the big favorite to win the slam. Still, I would like Nadal to win just to prove the haters wrong. If he'll manage to do it any year, it should be this year. Draw has been favorable, he's already reached the SF, his game has improved a lot and he looks healthy.

So yeah, I'm not counting out Nadal just yet. I think it'll be tight, and probably go to 5, if we are to get a Fedal final again.

BlueSwan
09-11-2010, 06:56 AM
The outcome of a Fedal final obviously means a whole lot to both of them. Federer would finally beat his nemesis in a GS final again and Nadal would complete the career grand slam.

However, in terms of the overall GOAT debate I don't think it's that important. Nadal is at the peak of his career and Federer is way past his peak, so a Nadal victory wouldn't mean much in the overall Fed-Nadal debate. On the other hand a Federer win wouldn't mean much either as Federer has always been the far more accomplished player on fast hardcourts.

So regardless of outcome of Fedal final:

Nadal >>> Federer on clay
Federer >> Nadal on fast hardcourts
Federer > Nadal on grass
Federer = Nadal on slow hardcourts

BlueSwan
09-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Everyone's saying Federer is going to win USO.
I thought everybody was saying that Nadal will win. I know I am. I personally think that Djokovic is the biggest threat to Nadal winning, not Federer who has to be close to his peak to beat Nadal due to mathup issues.

nadal_slam_king
09-11-2010, 07:27 AM
First of all , right now I don't think the Federer-Nadal thing is as important as it was because of Federer's age.

Do you think Federer's "age" (which allowed him to win 3 grand slams in the past 18 months) hurts Federer more than making the last 6 US Open Finals helps him? Relatively speaking, Nadal is a US Open novice, and lacks experience HEAVILY enough to make him a massive underdog.

coonster14
09-11-2010, 07:29 AM
I thought everybody was saying that Nadal will win. I know I am. I personally think that Djokovic is the biggest threat to Nadal winning, not Federer who has to be close to his peak to beat Nadal due to mathup issues.

If this was a MS 1000 tourney on a HC, then yes, Nole is a nightmare of an opponent for Rafa, he has a 7-3 advantage against Rafa on HC, winning the last 3 matches in a row they have played.

BUT...this is a grand slam final, best of 5 sets, I doubt that Nole has the mental strength and physical endurance to keep up with Rafa over 5 sets, it just seems to be too tough a task for Nole to handle, but we will just wait and see, we "could" be in for a shock.

Nole has NEVER beaten Rafa in a big match or in a final (Hamburg 2008 SF, Queens 2008 Final, 2008 Olympics SF, Madrid 2009 SF, French Open 2006, 2007, 2008 and the Wimbledon match in 2007 where Nole retired in the 3rd set because he was injured or exhausted).

I agree that Nole has the game to pulverise Rafa on this surface, but Rafa will just be too tough in a grand slam final, he has an 8-2 W/L record in grand slam finals, should a Nole/Rafa US Open final take place, I will pick Rafa to win in 4 sets. Don't get me wrong, Nole is my 2nd favourite player, so I'm not hating on him at all, just that I'm telling it the way I see it.

Just my $0.02

nadal_slam_king
09-11-2010, 07:44 AM
If this was a MS 1000 tourney on a HC, then yes, Nole is a nightmare of an opponent for Rafa, he has a 7-3 advantage against Rafa on HC, winning the last 3 matches in a row they have played.

BUT...this is a grand slam final, best of 5 sets, I doubt that Nole has the mental strength and physical endurance to keep up with Rafa over 5 sets, it just seems to be too tough a task for Nole to handle, but we will just wait and see, we "could" be in for a shock.

Nole has NEVER beaten Rafa in a big match or in a final (Hamburg 2008 SF, Queens 2008 Final, 2008 Olympics SF, Madrid 2009 SF, French Open 2006, 2007, 2008 and the Wimbledon match in 2007 where Nole retired in the 3rd set because he was injured or exhausted).

I agree that Nole has the game to pulverise Rafa on this surface, but Rafa will just be too tough in a grand slam final, he has an 8-2 W/L record in grand slam finals, should a Nole/Rafa US Open final take place, I will pick Rafa to win in 4 sets. Don't get me wrong, Nole is my 2nd favourite player, so I'm not hating on him at all, just that I'm telling it the way I see it.

Just my $0.02

I agree, especially if Djokovic misses a lot of 1st serves, that makes it a lot easier.

Pirata.
09-11-2010, 08:01 AM
I'll be so glad when this slam is over so people will stop making all these pointless threads :o

nadal_slam_king
09-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I'll be so glad when this slam is over so people will stop making all these pointless threads :o

LOL if we get a certain result in this US Open final there will be MASSIVE SPECULATION threads about the Australian Open beginning next week :lol:

BlueSwan
09-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Just my $0.02
Oh, I agree. I wasn't implying that Djokovic would beat Nadal, I would heavily favour Nadal in a Nadal-Djokovic final. I just think that Djokovic has a better chance against Nadal than Federer or Youzhny. Generally, I would be extremely surprised if Nadal doesn't win the US Open. He's been my favourite to win since before the tournament started and my heavy favourite to win ever since Murray lost.

Pirata.
09-11-2010, 10:33 AM
LOL if we get a certain result in this US Open final there will be MASSIVE SPECULATION threads about the Australian Open beginning next week :lol:

Hopefully massive speculation about Delpo coming back and blasting Rafa off hard courts again.

buzz
09-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Federer > Nadal on grass

Don't agree with the bold part. Federer is one of the very best slow hardcourt players ever. See his dominance in unmatched AO and very solid masters series results on that surface. Nadal won the AO once in a tight 5 setter and has a couple of masterseries wins, but never dominated the surface.

dodo
09-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I would also put less ">"'s in the Nadal-Federer clay comparison. Nadal is, without a doubt, the better player here, but the lopsided results are more a result of his epic clutchness (and/or Feds lack thereof in this matchup) than just plain better skills. Most of their matches have been painfully close (for Fed fans, that is), with Fed racking up some ridiculous stat to get the inevitable loss, like the famous 1/17 bps. Or being breaks up in the decider. Or MPs up. But in the end, it's only the win that counts.

nadal_slam_king
09-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I would also put less ">"'s in the Nadal-Federer clay comparison. Nadal is, without a doubt, the better player here, but the lopsided results are more a result of his epic clutchness (and/or Feds lack thereof in this matchup) than just plain better skills. Most of their matches have been painfully close (for Fed fans, that is), with Fed racking up some ridiculous stat to get the inevitable loss, like the famous 1/17 bps. Or being breaks up in the decider. Or MPs up. But in the end, it's only the win that counts.

I agree, the difference between them is highly psychological.

Clay Death
09-11-2010, 02:14 PM
negative NSK. consider this logic:

its fed`s best surface obviously. he has no less than 9 slams on hard courts. this is now coupled with the fact that this is also clay warrior`s worst surface.

now if the clay warrior still finds a way to beat him then nobody in his or right mind can really conclude that the difference was just mental.

i am not buying that. clay warrior brings sick consistency to the battlefield. furthermore, his consistency allows him to produce in the clutch.

and that is exactly where a lot of his mental toughness comes from on the court. he knows he has the consistency.

you have to have the game old sport. all the mental toughness in the world means nothing if you dont have the game and the movement.

nadal_slam_king
09-11-2010, 02:28 PM
negative NSK. consider this logic:

its fed`s best surface obviously. he has no less than 9 slams on hard courts. this is now coupled with the fact that this is also clay warrior`s worst surface.

now if the clay warrior still finds a way to beat him then nobody in his or right mind can really conclude that the difference was just mental.

i am not buying that. clay warrior brings sick consistency to the battlefield. furthermore, his consistency allows him to produce in the clutch.

and that is exactly where a lot of his mental toughness comes from on the court. he knows he has the consistency.

you have to have the game old sport. all the mental toughness in the world means nothing if you dont have the game and the movement.

I agree, the mental edge he possesses is a bi-product of a more reliable/consistent game (now more than ever with his serve, and his volleying being praised).

Clay Death
09-11-2010, 02:30 PM
affirmative NSK. see you at the castle old friend.

DorianGray7
09-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Everyone's saying Federer is going to win USO. I'm not saying that he won't. He is the big favorite to win the slam. Still, I would like Nadal to win just to prove the haters wrong. If he'll manage to do it any year, it should be this year. Draw has been favorable, he's already reached the SF, his game has improved a lot and he looks healthy.

So yeah, I'm not counting out Nadal just yet. I think it'll be tight, and probably go to 5, if we are to get a Fedal final again.

Are you kidding me?

There are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more Federer haters than Nadal haters. EVERYONE here is completely writing off Roger in the final against Nadal. He has no chance, he will be crushed by Rafa like a piece of trash.

It'd be FAR more significant if Roger beats the animal made of pure muscle at age 29 when clearly Rafa has every advantage against him.

Sapeod
09-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Are you kidding me?

There are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more Federer haters than Nadal haters. EVERYONE here is completely writing off Roger in the final against Nadal. He has no chance, he will be crushed by Rafa like a piece of trash.

It'd be FAR more significant if Roger beats the animal made of pure muscle at age 29 when clearly Rafa has every advantage against him.
Sokk has got it into his head that everyone is a Nadal-hater.

As for the final, if Nadal and Federer meet, Federer will win.

nadal_slam_king
09-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Are you kidding me?

Nadal's greatest strength is mental, so I think "the animal made of pure muscle" is a misleading tag.

allpro
09-11-2010, 03:02 PM
First of all , right now I don't think the Federer-Nadal thing is as important as it was because of Federer's age.

first it was the clay, then it was the bad lefty-righty matchup on grass and hc, and now on superfast hc it's the age?? :lol: ........
"several excuses are always less convincing than just one".

Sophocles
09-11-2010, 03:19 PM
first it was the clay, then it was the bad lefty-righty matchup on grass and hc, and now on superfast hc it's the age?? :lol: ........
"several excuses are always less convincing than just one".

Erm age is one of those things that tends to change with time.

Sophocles
09-11-2010, 03:22 PM
The outcome of a Fedal final obviously means a whole lot to both of them. Federer would finally beat his nemesis in a GS final again and Nadal would complete the career grand slam.

However, in terms of the overall GOAT debate I don't think it's that important. Nadal is at the peak of his career and Federer is way past his peak, so a Nadal victory wouldn't mean much in the overall Fed-Nadal debate. On the other hand a Federer win wouldn't mean much either as Federer has always been the far more accomplished player on fast hardcourts.

Federer > Nadal on grass

Pretty much agree apart from the bolded bit. They may be equal in terms of the match-up at their peaks, but in terms of their overall performance on the surface, Federer is ahead by some distance.

nadal_slam_king
09-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Either way, age being a factor or not, if Nadal defeats Federer in the US Open Final then Nadal is currently the better US Open player. That's gotta sting. Next step for Federer would be retirement.

Persimmon
09-11-2010, 03:28 PM

This.

Action Jackson
09-11-2010, 03:31 PM
http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/24573/original/trolling_pic.jpg

allpro
09-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Erm age is one of those things that tends to change with time.

and your point is?

Matt01
09-11-2010, 03:36 PM
There are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more Federer haters than Nadal haters.

On this forum? No!

BigJohn
09-11-2010, 03:45 PM
On this forum? No!

As a hater, your opinion is obviously biased.

Andre'sNo1Fan
09-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Sokk has got it into his head that everyone is a Nadal-hater.

Just like Murray WILL win the US Open :lol:

Singularity
09-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Either way, age being a factor or not, if Nadal defeats Federer in the US Open Final then Nadal is currently the better US Open player. That's gotta sting. Next step for Federer would be retirement.
Totally constructive post, not at all intended to antagonise Federer fans.

Matt01
09-11-2010, 06:53 PM
As a hater, your opinion is obviously biased.

:confused:

:angel:

BigJohn
09-11-2010, 06:59 PM
:confused:

:angel:

I see... poor wording. Oopsies. :o

Since you're a hater, your opinion is obviously biased. Voilà.

May I ask who that is in your avatar?

Matt01
09-11-2010, 07:02 PM
May I ask who that is in your avatar?

You may. It's an unknown (but extremely good) German actor.

BigJohn
09-11-2010, 07:05 PM
You may. It's an unknown (but extremely good) German actor.

Does he have a name?

Matt01
09-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Does he have a name?

Yes. Andreas Thiele.

Sapeod
09-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Just like Murray WILL win the US Open :lol:
He will though :confused:

There are more US Opens in the future.

peribsen
09-11-2010, 07:10 PM
That's an easy question, Fed will get his 17th slam and Nadal will have played all slam finals.
Life will go on as always.
I'll feel downtroden for about 20 minutes.