Zvonareva = Söderling [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Zvonareva = Söderling

Benget
09-10-2010, 09:18 PM
OMG I was impressed by this girl today. And then it struck me, she is an exact COPY of Robin Söderling. On SO many levels.

- Both are late bloomers making major finals for the first time at around 26 years of age.
- Both are TREMENDOUS ballstrikers both off the forehand AND the backhand and hitting very flat!!
- Both have a great serve
- Physically almost identical, both tall northern type appearance with sort of an intimidating aura to them
- Her face even looks like the Toad face!
- They both put their head under the towel during change overs
- They both used to have problems with emotions on the court taking over their games

Seriously is it just me or are these individuals of the same DNA???? :eek:

Man I love them, so exciting to watch their games on the court :worship::worship::worship:

Roddickominator
09-10-2010, 09:36 PM
She's better at net than Soderling.

Dougie
09-10-2010, 09:51 PM
OMG I was impressed by this girl today. And then it struck me, she is an exact COPY of Robin Söderling. On SO many levels.

- Both are late bloomers making major finals for the first time at around 26 years of age.
- Both are TREMENDOUS ballstrikers both off the forehand AND the backhand and hitting very flat!!
- Physically almost identical, both tall northern type appearance with sort of an intimidating aura to them
- They both used to have problems with emotions on the court taking over their games

Man I love them, so exciting to watch their games on the court :worship::worship::worship:

Seriously, when you start to see these kind of similarities between Zvonareva and Söderling, it´s time to give tennis a break and go back to basics.

Sillyrabbit
09-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Actually as proven by Soderling's match against Federer and Zvonareva's doubles match after losing the Wimbledon final, they both STILL have problems with their emotions. Though they're much better now than a few years back, but that's probably more true for Soderling than Zvonareva, but yeah they have lots of similarities.

misty1
09-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Actually as proven by Soderling's match against Federer and Zvonareva's doubles match after losing the Wimbledon final, they both STILL have problems with their emotions. Though they're much better now than a few years back, but that's probably more true for Soderling than Zvonareva, but yeah they have lots of similarities.

zvonareva's doubles melt down at wimbledon was completely justified. I struggle to think of anyone that could handle having just lost the final in singles and then to be staring down losing the final in doubles aswell that same day

kinski76
09-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Zvonareva is far more interesting to watch than pretty much the rest of the women's tour combined (bar Henin), and if tonight's result can put a stop to all the articles dedicated to Caroline's Stella McCartney-designed outfits, I may even call myself a fan of Bepa.

Filo V.
09-10-2010, 10:12 PM
They definitely do not play alike. The only similarity is that they are both 26, late bloomers, and former head cases (and still are to some extent). That's about it. In terms of games, Vera moves well, has a better backhand than forehand, decent variety and is good at net, and likes to counterpunch. Robin's biggest weapon is his forehand, he has a big serve, with below average movement and net game and little variety. So I can't see the comparison.

Sapeod
09-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Apart from the fact that they are both late bloomers, have their head under their towels at changeovers and that they both hit the ball hard, they have zilch in common.

straitup
09-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Zvonareva actually moves quite well, something Soda does not. Plus I would absolutely crack up if Soderling had a meltdown of Zvonareva's proportions:

xeGtUOjC8Bk
Remember this one? Zvonareva failed on 7 MPs and then started ripping the tape off her leg in anger :lol:

gaitare
09-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Is Zvonareva really a late bloomer? She was top 20 before she was 19, she was top 10 before she was 20. Then she had a string of terrible ijuries and confidence issues, but it's not like she appeared from nowhere 2 years ago.

Sapeod
09-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Is Zvonareva really a late bloomer? She was top 20 before she was 19, she was top 10 before she was 20. Then she had a string of terrible ijuries and confidence issues, but it's not like she appeared from nowhere 2 years ago.
Well, when it comes to slams, she is.

straitup
09-10-2010, 11:07 PM
She made the quarters of RG in 2003...but she's had a great last couple years, obviously with this year's two finals being the peak of that

madmax
09-10-2010, 11:12 PM
LOL at comparing a WTA player with Robin:haha: I like Vera and her crafty game with some nice ballstriking, but her style is nothing alike Robin's.

SheepleBuster
09-10-2010, 11:16 PM
That is an absolute insult to Soderling. I mean we all know woman can't play, cook, or do anything great. So why bring them up. WTA is like a circus. A bunch of people who don't know how to play tennis just try to keep balls in play. That's all. If you feel offended, just read your bible

r2473
09-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Which is which?

http://media.sporever.fr/medias/sporever/sport365_664x376/tennis/hommes/80843_SODERLING_110509.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID23531/images/zvon_8(1).jpg

Sapeod
09-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Top pic is Zvonerling.
Bottom pic is Sodereva.

delpiero7
09-10-2010, 11:36 PM
That meltdown against Pennetta last year was epic stuff.

jaana
09-10-2010, 11:47 PM
or like this
Which is which?

http://media.sporever.fr/medias/sporever/sport365_664x376/tennis/hommes/80843_SODERLING_110509.jpg

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1133/x610w.jpg

SheepleBuster
09-10-2010, 11:57 PM
You know. Women are so vicious. Every ad that you look at. Everything they do, they portray men as being dumb. However, if someone sarcastically quotes the bible (which is a fictional book), then they bad rep you. Women have no degree of tolerance whereas men are supposed to take being considered dumb or useless or taken advantage of. phew.. There.

swebright
09-11-2010, 12:11 AM
The difference is .... Robin hasn't played on court with tears in his eyes.

Vera is always interesting to watch. Her meltdowns are spectecular. :devil: She was said to be most talented of all russian girls but only Svetlana made the most of it. I don't count Sharapova as a russian.

laurie-1
09-11-2010, 12:17 AM

Hmmm....

I dfon't see many similarities other than both been late bloomers;

- Zvonareva is actually 5 ft 8 so she's average height for a woman player

- Please see my comments about Soderling's game http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=168378&page=2

- In those comments I discussed Robin's relative lack of movement on hard courts and grass and how that affects his chances in the latter stages of big events. In stark contrast, Vera is one of the very fastest movers in the womens game and is one of the best retrievers.

- Vera is a very good transition player and net player and Robin certainly is not a good transition player or net player

- finally, I don't agree about hitting flat, Vera hits her shots with a lot of topspin. I think sometimes when people see a player hit fast and aggressive shots, they assume its always flat. Vera hits the ball with a lot of margin for error, its fast but with topspin for control.

I would agree that both are exciting to watch and I think Vera might surprise Clijsters tomorrow in the final like she did at Wimbledon and in Canada. Clijsters likes players who hit the ball hard and fast, but struggles against opponents with an all court game, thats why Clijsters had problems against Mauresmo and Vera mixes up her game well.

Henry Chinaski
09-11-2010, 12:49 AM
I like Soderling but I wouldn't consider gamming him. Vera otoh.

Anyway, I don't watch much WTA but judging by Vera's semi-final tonight she plays nothing like Toad.

I was impressed by her court craft and point construction. Toad generally just bashes opponents into submission.

Andi-M
09-11-2010, 12:51 AM
They have had similar results recently but their games of nothing alike lol. I do like them both alot though :D

Topspindoctor
09-11-2010, 01:29 AM
I never thought of Zvonareva as a hard hitter. Looks more defensive to me, unlike Robin, who murders every ball. If I had to compare, I'd say Robin is more like Stosur.

hyperren
09-11-2010, 03:00 AM
Which is which?

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID23531/images/zvon_8(1).jpg

This needs to be Photoshopped, like, right now.

You know. Women are so vicious. Every ad that you look at. Everything they do, they portray men as being dumb. However, if someone sarcastically quotes the bible (which is a fictional book), then they bad rep you. Women have no degree of tolerance whereas men are supposed to take being considered dumb or useless or taken advantage of. phew.. There.

Umm.... whuuuuut?!?!?!

@Sweet Cleopatra
09-11-2010, 03:08 AM
That is an absolute insult to Soderling. I mean we all know woman can't play, cook, or do anything great. So why bring them up. WTA is like a circus. A bunch of people who don't know how to play tennis just try to keep balls in play. That's all. If you feel offended, just read your bible

They can play better than you. Oh God, You keep whining like a bitch for 24 hours in forums and you expect us to believe that you are better than WTA players who train hard every day. Please go do something useful in your life. I honestly think ATP is better than WTA but to say that WTA players are bunch of people in the circus is over the top. :mad:

dombrfc
09-11-2010, 03:12 AM
- Physically almost identical

:o

hyperren
09-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Methinks cyrusking was recently jilted by a Bible-thumping woman.

potato
09-11-2010, 03:44 AM
I actually find their games to be exact opposites. I guess the thing they have in common are that they are late bloomers and are headcases.

Soderlings game is built around his massive forehand and serve, I would actually say his game is more similar to Vaidisova.

Bepa likes to construct the point and counterpunch. She has great hands and likes to mix up the pace and the spins. Soderling is more like bash bash bash winner!

SheepleBuster
09-11-2010, 04:59 AM
They can play better than you. Oh God, You keep whining like a bitch for 24 hours in forums and you expect us to believe that you are better than WTA players who train hard every day. Please go do something useful in your life. I honestly think ATP is better than WTA but to say that WTA players are bunch of people in the circus is over the top. :mad:

What do you mean honestly? What does that suppose to mean? Is there any question that ATP is better than WTA? Seriously now. And then you say I bitch? You are just living in an alternate world Ma'am. Women should be happy they are getting paid the same for doing much less work on the court. Next.

gulzhan
09-11-2010, 05:10 AM
Best day of USO!!!! :bounce:

I mean, night :lol:

Thank you, Zvonareva! :worship:

Kolya
09-11-2010, 05:15 AM
A 6"4' Zvonareva :lol:

SheepleBuster
09-11-2010, 05:17 AM
I tell you what. I was pissed Vera won. Wozniaki is such a nice girl (regardless of how short her dress is). She always smiles and the only person from WTA worth following. Everybody else is all ego and "oh the other lady was lucky" or "it was all my fault". You know, Serena like

good_gambler
09-11-2010, 05:19 AM
She is hotter than Soder. :drool:

Lebeuf
09-11-2010, 06:27 AM
I think Zvonareva is quite hot , but lots of people disagree with me.Girls like Wozniacki are really not my type.And also , Clijster ressemble one girl I know , good girl but how fcking ugly.

SheepleBuster
09-11-2010, 06:47 AM
I think Zvonareva is quite hot , but lots of people disagree with me.Girls like Wozniacki are really not my type.And also , Clijster ressemble one girl I know , good girl but how fcking ugly.

oh don't say that :) Clijster is OK. The whole thing is very subjective no? Of course, if you could have real beauty without make up that be one thing. I mean Serena looks awfully different with all the make up and bling she puts on. Still not attractive but ...

FlameOn
09-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Vera is by nature a counterpuncher. Soderling certainly is not. :lol:

syc23
09-11-2010, 12:35 PM
They do share some similarities in terms of career achievements. However there's a massive difference between the two. I would only invite one of them into my home for some 'playtime' and it's certainly not Robin.

Maybe slightly different for the gayers that lurk on these boards though.

MacTheKnife
09-11-2010, 12:43 PM
I guess now we can call her Toadette.

finishingmove
09-11-2010, 12:46 PM
If Zvonareva = Soderling, do you think he/she will drop one act and totally focus on being the atp/wta player?

Anyway I was fooled, for sure. Thought they're two completely different persons TBH...

born_on_clay
09-11-2010, 12:47 PM
you dare to compare WTA and ATP ?

DanaKz
09-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Another common thing for them - they both won Orange Bowl same year as juniors:

16 Dec 2001
Zvonareva, Soderling Capture BURGER KING Orange Bowl Singles Titles
Sweden’s Robin Soderling and Russia’s Vera Zvonareva captured the boys’ and girls’ 18-and-under singles titles, respectively, at the 55th Annual BURGER KING Orange Bowl International Junior Tennis Championships at Key Biscayne’s Tennis Center at Crandon Park Sunday afternoon.

aloniv
09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Both reached two grand slam finals in which they were whipped.

FlameOn
09-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Both reached two grand slam finals in which they were whipped.

Robin performed much better than Meltdownareva though. :p

V.H.
09-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Some great points there.

All though Zvonareva moves good, compared to Soderling. She also considered better defensive player, while Soderling is clearly best at offensive. And they don't look alike at all!?