The ATP Conspiracy: Federer Djokovic To Play Second [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The ATP Conspiracy: Federer Djokovic To Play Second

SheepleBuster
09-10-2010, 07:46 PM
I just don't understand it. This match has the potential to go very long. Why should these guys play second? They just announced it on CBS. Is it a conspiracy or just for fans? The evening session favors Djokovic. Discuss

MalwareDie
09-10-2010, 07:47 PM
It's a 24/7 conspiracy for 52 weeks of the year.

Poirot123
09-10-2010, 07:49 PM
No conspiracy. Whilst it's true that Federer V Djokovic has the potential to go longer than Nadal V Youzney, the former match is likely to be closer and a much higher quality match (no disrespect to Nadal, it's just I can't see Youzney troubling him too much). And TV companies want better matches in a prime time slot - hence Federer V Djokovic in night time session.

jhltennisfan
09-10-2010, 07:50 PM
As a federer fan, I hate the fact that Fed match is after Nadal match, but at least it is not a night match. According to the website, Nadal match starts from 12pm and Federer match starts right after that. Night session is for Women's final.

prafull
09-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Just 2 hour 45 minute gap between the two matches, so hardly makes a difference. It would have been interesting when second match was actually a night match.

nobama
09-10-2010, 07:51 PM
What is it with this night crap? The women's final is played at night. Both men's matches are played during the day with the first match starting at 11 AM EST.

Jomp1
09-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Could affect Novak if he goes on to the final, but has Roger ever lost because of exhaustion?

allpro
09-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I just don't understand it. This match has the potential to go very long. Why should these guys play second? They just announced it on CBS.

higher ratings and more advertising revenue for cbs in the second time slot. besides, it is the marquis matchup.

SheepleBuster
09-10-2010, 07:58 PM
higher ratings and more advertising revenue for cbs in the second time slot. besides, it is the marquis matchup.

Screw that... Nadal can play for 9 hours. He won't get tired. Roger and Novak can go 4 or 5 whereas Nadal will be done in 2 hours Max, and mostly his fault for taking 40 seconds between each point.

r2473
09-10-2010, 08:00 PM
We all know Uncle Toni calls the shots in New York.

It was hilarious during one of Nadal's matches when they interviewed Toni and whoever was doing the interview kept calling him "Uncle Toni".

After the interview, Killer Cahill said something like "I bet Toni is confused why everyone keeps calling him "Uncle Toni"....my name is Toni Nadal".

That was pretty funny.

osmonde
09-10-2010, 08:02 PM
From Tom Tebbutt, canadian journalist on site, in interview about the schedule:

Federer asked to play first...and Nadal wanted to play second to rest and practice more after his yesterday match. Fed had 2 days and him one.

But...USO said NO to both of them...
Why....because prime time on NBC tv wanted Federer and Djokovic on later in the afternoon because it will drag more viewers...

So, even against both players 1 & 2 request, TV broadcaster has prevailed.

That is the end of discussion about who gets to impose his priority.

jcreback
09-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I think you mean CBS TV, and that is odd, because in the US there is far more going against CBS in the 3:30 timeslot than the 12:00 timeslot tomorrow.

SheepleBuster
09-10-2010, 08:12 PM
oh well. Technically, this should not change anything. One player will come having faced mugs to final. Another, facing way tougher matches. Will Youzhny be awake that early though?

Vivalavida18
09-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Its an disgrace, an scandal, a outrage! lol sorry if Tennis wareh. jokes are not understood here.

Helevorn
09-10-2010, 08:14 PM
excuse me sir, who fucking cares?

osmonde
09-10-2010, 08:15 PM
I think you mean CBS TV, and that is odd, because in the US there is far more going against CBS in the 3:30 timeslot than the 12:00 timeslot tomorrow.

Yes, my error, CBS is the one.
I think they foresee Federer's match going late during the supper time slot, which is more of a probability.

If Nadal would have met a higher ranked player, maybe they would have play it differently.

DrJules
09-10-2010, 08:17 PM
I think they foresee Federer's match going late during the supper time slot, which is more of a probability.

If Nadal would have met a higher ranked player, maybe they would have play it differently.

If Murray was playing Nadal it would have been second match.

jcreback
09-10-2010, 08:17 PM

It is more to me about what other sports are on TV against them, since that is the main competition, specifically college football here in the US which is so popular.

At noon, the group of games that are on TV are not that great, and also not on ABC and NBC.

At 3:30, NBC has Michigan-Notre Dame, ABC has Oklahoma-Florida State, and ESPN has Ohio State-Miami, all at the same time.

They do the research so I guess they still think it pulls a better rating, but it seems to me they'd do better with their "marquee" match at noon not against 6 ridiculously large college football fan-bases.

osmonde
09-10-2010, 08:27 PM
@ jcreback You should postulate at CBS as a schedule adviser ;)

LoveFifteen
09-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Doesn't the second half's SF always play first on Super Saturday?

Quadruple Tree
09-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Like I figured. Nadal will be nice and rested after his exhibition against Youzhny, and the Federer-Nadal winner will be tired from a long 4 or 5 set match. I don't believe there is any conspiracy here. It is just a remarkable coincidence that seemingly everything that Nadal needs to happen for him to win a US Open is happening. Del Potro and Tsonga out injured, Murray and Berdych upset, and then Soderling and Djokovic on the other side of the draw. He has managed to avoid anyone that could challenge him on this surface until the final, and even then, his opponent will be coming off a long, tough match while Nadal will have hardly broken a sweat.

FormerRafaFan
09-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Uhm.. Nadal had the night sessions for like 3 matches in a row. Do you really think he likes to play at night? NO. He's said so himself numerous of times.

It's only fair that Djokovic and Federer gets the evening match this time (it won't even be THAT late anyway). Plus, like others have said, it will probably be a much more quality match, much more entertaining for the crowd and the viewers at home. The quality match with two top players gets the primetime slot. Not that weird really. Also, Federer and Djokovic have already had one more day to rest than Rafa, so.. Only fair I think that Nadal and Youzhny get to start first. I also know that Rafa prefer day matches to night matches, so I think it's good. It's time that Djokovic and Federer played a late match for once. Rafa has practically done it all tournament.

jcreback
09-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Uhm.. Nadal had the night sessions for like 3 matches in a row. Do you really think he likes to play at night? NO. He's said so himself numerous of times.

It's only fair that Djokovic and Federer gets the evening match this time (it won't even be THAT late anyway). Plus, like others have said, it will probably be a much more quality match, much more entertaining for the crowd and the viewers at home. The quality match with two top players gets the primetime slot. Not that weird really. Also, Federer and Djokovic have already had one more day to rest than Rafa, so.. Only fair I think that Nadal and Youzhny get to start first. I also know that Rafa prefer day matches to night matches, so I think it's good. It's time that Djokovic and Federer played a late match for once. Rafa has practically done it all tournament.

Guess you missed the part of this thread where Nadal said he wanted to play second.

Viky-cro
09-10-2010, 09:40 PM
those who made semis first play second match. same thing is in women tournament... Wozniacki and Zvonareva played first match today, and then Kim and Venus. Even though Kim and Venus played their 1/4 matches on Tuesday, and Woz and Zvonareva played their on Wednesday

heartbroken
09-10-2010, 09:54 PM
A couple of thoughts on this thread:

For Fed, Nadal, or any other player, the only thing that they can do is beat the players that advance in the draw. I don't consider a player lucky for avoiding another player who wasn't able to make it through the draw to play them. Sure, matchups can sometimes be a factor, but that's just the way it is in sports. We just don't get to cherry pick easy matchups for the players or teams we like and tough matchups for the ones we don't. Over time, I think things generally balance out.

I consider the differing start times on the men's semifinals to be a non-issue. I would consider it more of an advantage to play on the first day, but I doubt that this would make much difference for either Fed or Nadal. Fitness is not an issue for either player, and I doubt either player gets mentally bothered by scheduling. These are champions. They can handle it.

I remember being surprised when Nadal won the AO in 2009. I thought he would be unable to put up as much fight in the final after that match with Verdasco. Fed had an easier semifinal match and an extra day of rest, and it didn't matter. Nadal just went out and performed, and he got the win. One player is not likely to always get the "advantage", and sometimes the advantage doesn't turn out to mean much. Next time, it could be the other player that has the supposed advantage...

If Fed and Nadal meet on Sunday, I'm confident that the winner will be the better player on that day, and the scheduling will probably be a non-factor.

Just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary, etc. :)

Dave

marvin0211
09-10-2010, 10:01 PM
lol ATP conspirarcy? US Open is an ITF event.

Last time I heard ATP and ITF are different organization.

How many times does fed have favorable schedule with his opponent in final affected by rain delay? i think you will cry buckets if the second match is delayed by rain to be finished on sunday and the opponent is well rested especially if its a Fedal final.

emotion
09-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Better match is primetime. While Youzhny has sure upset Nadal before, he hasn't played great and both have had very lucky draws

Arkulari
09-10-2010, 10:02 PM
http://membres.multimania.fr/fredrichung/forum/i%20like%20were%20this%20thread%20is%20going.jpg

Sillyrabbit
09-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Would be a real irony if the Nadal-Youzhny match turns out to be some grueling 5 setter and the Federer-Djokovic match ends in 30 mins with a retirement

If Nadal does happen to meet a fatigued Djokovic or Federer in the finals, then he better be smart enough to take his chance, Federer had his at Melbourne and still lost.

Commander Data
09-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Federer - Nole is the more anticipated match. makes sense to put that second in order to keep the supsense and rating as high as possible. As long as the second match is not scheduled for evening it seems reasonable fair to me.

peribsen
09-10-2010, 10:15 PM

No, we don't, please tell us.
As if the other players were to keep meekly silent if any player tried that sort of game!
Paranoia seems to be contagious.

Back to the topic, Federer & Djoko have been playing 24 h before Nadal % Youzhni for all the tournament, meaning the latter two have had a more cramped week. But some would have it that even now the former should play first, so they can get a few more hours rest before the final...

Talk of double standards!

Pfloyd
09-10-2010, 10:20 PM
I also agree that the Federer Djokovic match will atract the better ratings.

Also, even though I highly doubt any player will be too tired for the final, it is also true that Federer played two days ago, and Nadal just yesterday, so that might be a little factor as well.

Nole fan
09-10-2010, 10:46 PM
It's a simple case of which is the most interesting match for the viewers and that's Nole-Roger. No brainy here. :scratch:

nobama
09-10-2010, 11:01 PM
OK so CBS just said Wozniaki practiced with Djokovic yesterday in New Jersey. Why would any ATP player want to practice with a WTA player, especially during a slam? :confused:

Mechlan
09-10-2010, 11:18 PM

It was hilarious during one of Nadal's matches when they interviewed Toni and whoever was doing the interview kept calling him "Uncle Toni".

After the interview, Killer Cahill said something like "I bet Toni is confused why everyone keeps calling him "Uncle Toni"....my name is Toni Nadal".

That was pretty funny.

:lol: I always thought this was pretty funny as well. People who he has never met before calling him "Uncle Toni". These days I think Rafa says "Toni" not "Uncle Toni" when talking about him.

tangerine_dream
09-10-2010, 11:20 PM
How do we know for sure that Federer is the marquee match?

U.S. OPEN MEN'S FINALS, LOWEST RATED:

1. 2008, Roger Federer d. Andy Murray, 1.7

2. 2009, Juan Martin del Potro d. Roger Federer, 2.3

3. 2004, Roger Federer d. Lleyton Hewitt, 2.5

jcreback
09-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Yes, take the ratings from two finals played on a Monday to prove the point.

Johnny Groove
09-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Like I said, Stupid Saturday was made for excuses.

Amber Spyglass
09-10-2010, 11:31 PM
OK so CBS just said Wozniaki practiced with Djokovic yesterday in New Jersey. Why would any ATP player want to practice with a WTA player, especially during a slam? :confused:

It was a 40min hit and it's called having a laugh.Or we could all just pretend that this was the sum-total of Djokovic's practice for the last two days :rolleyes:

marvin0211
09-10-2010, 11:35 PM
did they practice tennis or they play another game?

Amber Spyglass
09-10-2010, 11:38 PM
did they practice tennis or they play another game?
Tennis :p
Here are her tweets:
http://twitter.com/CaroWozniacki

"Had a fantastic day with the whole djokovic team in New Jersey where they are staying in a nice house.And hit with Novak for 40 min, was fun"

"His girlfriend was there too! Such a nice girl! :):)"

delpiero7
09-10-2010, 11:40 PM
How do we know for sure that Federer is the marquee match?

U.S. OPEN MEN'S FINALS, LOWEST RATED:

1. 2008, Roger Federer d. Andy Murray, 1.7

2. 2009, Juan Martin del Potro d. Roger Federer, 2.3

3. 2004, Roger Federer d. Lleyton Hewitt, 2.5

Wow, the 3 lowest rated all feature Federer? :eek:

I've noticed that the new NFL season gets underway tomorrow. Does this happen every year that the NFL opening Sunday and the final of the US Open clash? If it is a rare occurence then it would be hilarious to think that a potential Federer-Nadal final could make it to the list of lowest rated men's finals!

JediFed
09-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Would be a real irony if the Nadal-Youzhny match turns out to be some grueling 5 setter and the Federer-Djokovic match ends in 30 mins with a retirement

My thought as well. You think Youzhny isn't going to be fired up at his one chance for immortality?

nobama
09-10-2010, 11:48 PM
This was posted by Moose Malloy on the tennis-warehouse boards:

USO Champions
2009 Del Potro: 1st semi
2008 Federer: 1st semi(actually had a day off due to rain, while Murray had to finish up his semi on Sunday for the Monday final)
2007 Federer: 2nd semi
2006 Federer: 1st semi
2005 Federer: 2nd semi
2004 Federer: 2nd semi
2003 Roddick: 2nd semi
2002 Sampras: 1st semi
2001 Hewitt: 1st semi
2000 Safin: 1st semi
1999 Agassi: 2nd semi
1998 Rafter: 2nd semi
1997 Rafter: 2nd semi
1996 Sampras: 2nd semi

prior to '96, the 2nd mens semi was played AFTER the womens final, so players in these years had even less rest time for the Sunday final.

1995 Sampras: 1st semi
1994 Agassi: 2nd semi
1993 Sampras: 2nd semi
1992 Edberg: 1st semi
1991 Edberg: 1st semi
1990 Sampras: 2nd semi
1989 Becker: 1st semi
1988 Wilander: 1st semi
1987 Lendl: 2nd semi
1986 Lendl: 1st semi
1985 Lendl: 2nd semi
1984 McEnroe: 2nd semi
1983 Connors: 2nd semi
1982 Connors: 1st semi
1981 McEnroe: 1st semi
1980 McEnroe: 2nd semi

DrJules
09-11-2010, 12:01 AM

Djokovic thought it was the best chance to get a close up look at Wozniacki.

william_renshaw
09-11-2010, 12:09 AM
As much as I would love to see Nadal deservedly completing his career grand slam and cementing his place in history by winning this US Open, I would agree that the scheduling is stupid and unfair. The guys who played two days ago should play first. Not that I'd complain if Fed-Djoko went the distance :)

Friday night is prime time surely...why don't they have the men's semis on Friday evening, starting say at 17:30 and 20:00?

swebright
09-11-2010, 12:15 AM
It's "Super Saturday". Both men's semi and women's final.

Yeah... why wouldn't they play men's final as a night match?? Always NFL opener day.

swebright
09-11-2010, 12:17 AM

No wonder Woz lost!:devil:

A_Skywalker
09-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Wow, Nadal and Murray played and killed each other while Roger was resting, do you remember this from previous years, how much times has Roger rested more than his opponent?
Now you make thread because his match starts right after the first match. This is unbelievable. You want all the advantages for your idol, you want him to always have more rest, play less, play easier opponents.

finishingmove
09-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Could affect Novak if he goes on to the final, but has Roger ever lost because of exhaustion?

Well said, though they're both dogs in the final.

jcreback
09-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Wow, the 3 lowest rated all feature Federer? :eek:

I've noticed that the new NFL season gets underway tomorrow. Does this happen every year that the NFL opening Sunday and the final of the US Open clash? If it is a rare occurence then it would be hilarious to think that a potential Federer-Nadal final could make it to the list of lowest rated men's finals!

Same thing every year (except the last two with the Monday finals).

CBS and Fox each have an NFL game at 1, then CBS goes to tennis, while Fox has another NFL game. Has been that way for years.

paseo
09-11-2010, 12:42 AM
From Tom Tebbutt, canadian journalist on site, in interview about the schedule:

Federer asked to play first...and Nadal wanted to play second to rest and practice more after his yesterday match. Fed had 2 days and him one.

But...USO said NO to both of them...
Why....because prime time on NBC tv wanted Federer and Djokovic on later in the afternoon because it will drag more viewers...

So, even against both players 1 & 2 request, TV broadcaster has prevailed.

That is the end of discussion about who gets to impose his priority.

Fed and Nadal should do a strike. March to the front of the USTA office carrying signs.

Fed : Player Rights! We want our schedule to suit us, not the suits!
Nadal : Yeah!!
Fed : Roger plays first, Rafa play second!!
Nadal : Vamos!!
Fed : Meet our demands, or we don't play!!
Fed : You'll get a crappy final, between Misha and Nole!!
Nadal : Shit match, no?

Fed : Player Rights! We want our schedule to suit us, not the suits!
Fed : Roger plays first, Rafa play second!!
Nadal : Vamos!!
Fed : Meet our demands, or we don't play!!

gbmkc
09-11-2010, 12:47 AM
And? it's a Fedal F2 regardless. I seriously doubt the ATP or USTA need a Nadal victory. If they do, they're a sorrier bunch than I thought. If Federer loses: too bad. This UO is a joke, no matter how it ends.

kronus12
09-11-2010, 01:51 AM
This is a stupid thread from a ass kissing nadal fan, if fed farted wrong this clown would properly make a thread about that, idiot nadal dosen't give a shit about you he's already got a girlfriend.

barbadosan
09-11-2010, 02:17 AM
Wow, Nadal and Murray played and killed each other while Roger was resting, do you remember this from previous years, how much times has Roger rested more than his opponent?
Now you make thread because his match starts right after the first match. This is unbelievable. You want all the advantages for your idol, you want him to always have more rest, play less, play easier opponents.

Out of seven SF appearances, Fed has 5 times played the 2nd match, and twice the first match - so your point is?

Serenidad
09-11-2010, 02:39 AM
This is good for Federer fans. This way if Nadal wins against Youzhny, he can decide to tank to avoid the Owned Slam to Nadal.

So I don't know what the complaint is about.

screenerluv
09-11-2010, 02:41 AM
it's because uso sucks
worst major by far

@Sweet Cleopatra
09-11-2010, 02:54 AM
Screw that... Nadal can play for 9 hours. He won't get tired. Roger and Novak can go 4 or 5 whereas Nadal will be done in 2 hours Max, and mostly his fault for taking 40 seconds between each point.

Stop jinxing Rafa and whining about Roger you cry baby.

Topspindoctor
09-11-2010, 02:57 AM
And? it's a Fedal F2 regardless. I seriously doubt the ATP or USTA need a Nadal victory. If they do, they're a sorrier bunch than I thought. If Federer loses: too bad. This UO is a joke, no matter how it ends.

:baby:

Aloevera
09-11-2010, 03:49 AM
Djokovic better win the first set or he's done.

bayvalle
09-11-2010, 03:56 AM

That was pretty funny.

Off topic, Toni is widely regarded as the "Don King" of the Spanish tennis delegation. With such status, he could have told the other team members (Verdasco, Lopez and company) how to dress, how to sleep, and how to play against his nino bonito (Rafito). How powerful can one get.

Silvester
09-11-2010, 04:00 AM
I'm a bit suprised, I thought that Fed would go first because he had the extra day rest but I really don't think it's going to make a huge difference. Shouldn't Nadal be happy that (most likely) he will have more rest between the semi and the final, he'll be done quick and resting all afternoon while Fed is battling it out with djoker.

Mjau!
09-11-2010, 04:11 AM
No rest day between the semis and the final is the dumbest decision in GS history.

xargon
09-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Tennis :p
Here are her tweets:
http://twitter.com/CaroWozniacki

"Had a fantastic day with the whole djokovic team in New Jersey where they are staying in a nice house.And hit with Novak for 40 min, was fun"

"His girlfriend was there too! Such a nice girl! :):)"

They probably aske Djok if they could come.Seems to me she like being the center of attention. Yale football team photos, her plans to attend Yale, maybe, Donald Trump in her box, fashion show with Anna Wintour. And with all that, she still blows the match.:eek:

Topspindoctor
09-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Wozz was letting all the glory go to her head just because she's had a couple of clown draws in grand slams and went deep into 2nd week. I'd like to see Wozz go through Kim's draw in USO 2009/2010 :o

kindling
09-11-2010, 06:09 AM
It's simple, Federer puts more asses on the couch to watch the match. More TV pull for the casual tennis viewer, therefore, his match is the headliner. Ask a random person the name of a currently playing tennis player and they'll say "Federer", followed by "Nadal who?" Of course, this is in the states. Casual tennis viewers in the US don't know Nadal.

Topspindoctor
09-11-2010, 06:14 AM
It's simple, Federer puts more asses on the couch to watch the match. More TV pull for the casual tennis viewer, therefore, his match is the headliner. Ask a random person the name of a currently playing tennis player and they'll say "Federer", followed by "Nadal who?" Of course, this is in the states. Casual tennis viewers in the US don't know Nadal.

That kinda says a lot about US tennis "fans". :o I don't care how casual you are, not knowing who is world number one is pathetic.

kindling
09-11-2010, 06:21 AM
That kinda says a lot about US tennis "fans". :o I don't care how casual you are, not knowing who is world number one is pathetic.

Pathetic? It's not a huge sport over here, so Joe Schmoe who watches 2 matches a year, why the hell would he, or she know the rankings. But nice stab at US "fans", classy.

gusavo
09-11-2010, 07:24 AM
if you ask a random person in us the name of a current player theyll say nadal who?

FormerRafaFan
09-11-2010, 07:28 AM
They probably aske Djok if they could come.Seems to me she like being the center of attention. Yale football team photos, her plans to attend Yale, maybe, Donald Trump in her box, fashion show with Anna Wintour. And with all that, she still blows the match.:eek:

LOL.. She's like the WTA's Verdasco. Seriously, if Verdasco only spent half the time he does on his tennis than he does on covers, photo shoots, commercials, parties etc, then he would've been a much better player imo.

FormerRafaFan
09-11-2010, 07:33 AM
if you ask a random person in us the name of a current player theyll say nadal who?

Hmm, Nadal is still VERY popular in US. I think most people who are at least slightly interested in tennis knows who he is.

It's not about that. Nadal is a hugely popular guy too. That said, even I would watch a Federer vs. Djokovic match over a Nadal vs. Youzhny match. Because the latter match wouldn't even be half as exciting as the first one, where # 2 and #3 are playing against each other. Of course that is more interesting than watching Nadal beat a lower ranked player to cruise through in straights.

Besides.. Federer and Djokovic has already had one day more to rest than Nadal, plus, Nadal has played the night matches practically the whole tournament. Like I said, I think this is fair.

Aenea
09-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Federer wanted to play first and Rafa requested to play second but organizers said "No" to both because CBS wanted to broadcast Fed-Nole match in the late afternoon.
So the only one who gets his wish granted always is the TV.

FormerRafaFan
09-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Federer wanted to play first and Rafa requested to play second but organizers said "No" to both because CBS wanted to broadcast Fed-Nole match in the late afternoon.
So the only one who gets his wish granted always is the TV.

LOL. Oh well, the big tv guys are always in charge, huh?

I think we can assume now that it wasn't a conspiracy against Federer though.. lol.

nadal_slam_king
09-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Like I figured. Nadal will be nice and rested after his exhibition against Youzhny, and the Federer-Nadal winner will be tired from a long 4 or 5 set match. I don't believe there is any conspiracy here. It is just a remarkable coincidence that seemingly everything that Nadal needs to happen for him to win a US Open is happening. Del Potro and Tsonga out injured, Murray and Berdych upset, and then Soderling and Djokovic on the other side of the draw. He has managed to avoid anyone that could challenge him on this surface until the final, and even then, his opponent will be coming off a long, tough match while Nadal will have hardly broken a sweat.

LOL you're talking about a guy who has had to face "THE GOAT" in 6 of his 8 grand slam titles, and 5 of them being in the Final. He's also had to face Murray in 2 Wimbledons, 2 Australian Opens and a US Open (and would have been another US Open if Murray didn't lose early this year). Nadal is the last guy in history you should be calling lucky. Who else has had to play "THE GOAT" in his first 6 grand slam triumphs?

Zagor
09-11-2010, 09:45 AM
This doesn't really bode well for Fed/Novak.Fed because at his age body recovers harder from back to back best of five match and Novak because of his everlasting stamina issues but this was kinda expected,Fed-Novak is a much bigger draw than Nadal-Youzhny so it's natural they'll go second(USO always put more interesting SF second).

Seems stars have really aligned for Nadal to win USO although I still think Fed and Novak have a small chance to beat him here,Youzhny as much as I like his game is going down in straights to Rafa IMO.

Its an disgrace, an scandal, a outrage! lol sorry if Tennis wareh. jokes are not understood here.

LOL,yeah,who can forget Cesc's brilliant threads an grammar at TW.

born_on_clay
09-11-2010, 10:06 AM
expected
bravo

Allez
09-11-2010, 10:10 AM
According to Greg Rusedski, Nadal is the more popular of the two in the States so I don't know what CBS are playing at. If Nadal wins, Rogi will be too unfocused to win against Nole. Too distracted by the possibility of getting another beating from Nadal. Once again, well done uncle Toni :rolleyes:

FormerRafaFan
09-11-2010, 11:15 AM
According to Greg Rusedski, Nadal is the more popular of the two in the States so I don't know what CBS are playing at. If Nadal wins, Rogi will be too unfocused to win against Nole. Too distracted by the possibility of getting another beating from Nadal. Once again, well done uncle Toni :rolleyes:

LOL :haha:

nadal_slam_king
09-11-2010, 11:39 AM

Federer might tank, knowing what lies ahead :o

A_Skywalker
09-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Out of seven SF appearances, Fed has 5 times played the 2nd match, and twice the first match - so your point is?

He played second, because he started on monday- first.
1 day more rest my friend. Also how much times was Fed affected by rain before sfs or finals on Gss?

@Sweet Cleopatra
09-11-2010, 11:52 AM
You guys keep talking like Nadal will sure win. please don't count the eggs before the chicken hatches, he still needs to reach the final Dont jinx you idiots

FairWeatherFan
09-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Another lucky factor in favour of the Accidental Champion. As if the surfaces being slowed down to a crawl wasn't enough.

nadal_slam_king
09-11-2010, 12:00 PM
You guys keep talking like Nadal will sure win. please don't count the eggs before the chicken hatches, he still needs to reach the final Dont jinx you idiots

I agree, I consider Youzhny the player that separates Nadal from the US Open crown. HUGE huge match.

nadal_slam_king
09-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Another lucky factor in favour of the Accidental Champion. As if the surfaces being slowed down to a crawl wasn't enough.

So, Federer needs conditions to favor him in order to beat Nadal? Some GOAT....and conditions at the US Open definitely do favor Federer anyway.

nobama
09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
According to Greg Rusedski, Nadal is the more popular of the two in the States so I don't know what CBS are playing at. If Nadal wins, Rogi will be too unfocused to win against Nole. Too distracted by the possibility of getting another beating from Nadal. Once again, well done uncle Toni :rolleyes::spit:

smitty8
09-11-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't think it matters who plays first. A lot of the scheduling in the US is about TV ratings, IMO.

As for US tennis fans, when I asked an old classmate who is high up on the Ticketmaster payroll to try to get me a ticket for the men's final last year, he said it would be much easier since it wasn't a Rafa-Fed final. So, for a ticket selling (and re-selling) company who is only interested in the big bucks, THEY are looking for a Rafa-Fed final. It's all about the money.

Dmitry Verdasco
09-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Real conspiracy is that the final is at night, it's clearly advantaging Djokovic.

yjyjyj
09-11-2010, 05:00 PM
take it easy..

born_on_clay
09-11-2010, 05:02 PM
uncle Toni - man of the year :haha:

ApproachShot
09-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Please, there is no conspiracy. My only slight issue may be with the notion of 'Super Saturday' itself, but if the US Open organisers insist upon continuing the practice of having the final match a day after the semi-finals then I have to say that this year's schedule does not seem that bad at all.

SheepleBuster
09-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Roger won't win this. Everytime he does a tweener, he loses.

Quadruple Tree
09-11-2010, 07:24 PM

According to Greg Rusedski, Sampras was washed up in 2002. How'd that work out for him?

SheepleBuster
09-11-2010, 07:26 PM
According to Greg Rusedski, Sampras was washed up in 2002. How'd that work out for him?

Who is Greg Rusedski? I mean it's like saying Blake said this or that. WTF