Does Federer still have a chance to reverse negative H2H against Nadal in slams? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does Federer still have a chance to reverse negative H2H against Nadal in slams?

Speed of Light
09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
At this stage of their respective careers, do you think it is still possible for Federer to reverse his negative head to head record against Nadal, in slams?. Think of it this way, currently and for the next couple of years, Nadal who is in his prime will make the finals of the hardcourt slams far more than he used to, making it an even contest in the final, as i still consider this old Fed to be a really good hc player. Same goes for Wimbledon. And in the FO, Fed won't be good enough to make it to the finals in the face of tough competition like Soda and JMDP. Basically I am hinting at an exact opposite of the initial scenario where Fed was in his prime and Rafa was an upstart, to repeat itself this time in Fed's favour. Also Fed can use the final stretch of his career to focus on this as it is the one major flaw in his resume. So, does the old man still have it in him?. This USO final may see the beginning of a new chapter in their rivalry.

Serenidad
09-10-2010, 03:31 PM
No. No. No. No. Too much of a mental clown.

ApproachShot
09-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Given their rankings it is unlikely that they will meet before finals and semi-finals, thereby making it more difficult for them to be drawn against each other. On the occasions they do meet, I still suspect Nadal will have the edge - especially considering that it is unlikely he will be beaten by Fed at RG and I still believe Fed can make finals there. So while I'm not saying that Federer cannot reduce the deficit with regards to their H2H in slams (in fact I have a suspicion that that might well happen), I do not think he will be able to reverse it.

Not that it really matters in anything other than the specific context of their rivalry, anyway. As I have stated on numerous threads, their respective achievements at the end of the careers will be more telling than their H2H. Good luck to them both should they meet. They are matches I would love to see.

Quadruple Tree
09-10-2010, 03:35 PM
currently and for the next couple of years, Nadal who is in his prime will make the finals of the hardcourt slams far more than he used to.

I seriously doubt that the perfect storm that has occurred to clear Nadal's path to the final of any true challengers is going to happen too often. How many times will all the players who could beat him on his half of the draw get upset before facing him?

MalwareDie
09-10-2010, 04:08 PM
mad world changed his username, deleted a lot of posts and started posting differently. Obvious duplicate account.

lazybear
09-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Reverse it? No, that's not realistic. I hope he can improve it though. :)

nadal_slam_king
09-10-2010, 04:28 PM
The longer Federer plays the worse the h2h gets.

Speed of Light
09-10-2010, 04:33 PM
No. No. No. No. Too much of a mental clown.
you can't be a mental clown with 16 grand slams
mad world changed his username, deleted a lot of posts and started posting differently. Obvious duplicate account.
YES I USED TO POST UNDER THE USERNAME MAD
WORLD BUT THEN CHANGED IT OFFICIALLY TO THIS. IT IS NO BIG SECRET AND I SEE NOTHIG WRONG WITH IT. ALSO I HAVE NOT DELETED ANY POSTS. BUT I HAVE SEEN YOU FAR TOO OFTEN ON THESE BOARDS CALLING OTHER USERS DUPLICATE ACCOUNTS TO BE EVEN A BIT AMUSED BY WHAT YOU SAY. BUT YOU MAY SERIOUSLY CONSIDER YOUR THOUGHTS BEFORE MAKING FALSE ACCUSATIONS FROM NOW ON.

MalwareDie
09-10-2010, 04:43 PM
YES I USED TO POST UNDER THE USERNAME MAD
WORLD BUT THEN CHANGED IT OFFICIALLY TO THIS. IT IS NO BIG SECRET AND I SEE NOTHIG WRONG WITH IT. ALSO I HAVE NOT DELETED ANY POSTS. BUT I HAVE SEEN YOU FAR TOO OFTEN ON THESE BOARDS CALLING OTHER USERS DUPLICATE ACCOUNTS TO BE EVEN A BIT AMUSED BY WHAT YOU SAY. BUT YOU MAY SERIOUSLY CONSIDER YOUR THOUGHTS BEFORE MAKING FALSE ACCUSATIONS FROM NOW ON.

A CAPS Lock post with your English going down the drain. Thank you very much for this troll post.

Speed of Light
09-10-2010, 04:59 PM
A CAPS Lock post with your English going down the drain. Thank you very much for this troll post.

You test my patience, this will be the last time i will reply to you. Go find someone else to stalk. And by the way, you have been reported.

prafull
09-10-2010, 05:56 PM
It will be 7-15 this sunday. Gonna be tough to reverse that. Infact I just realized that if djokovic wins his semis he will go down to 7-15 too.
So its between federer and djokovic (who becomes the pigeon/turkey whatever its called this sunday).

LaFuria
09-10-2010, 05:57 PM
No

FormerRafaFan
09-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Of course he does. Federer is obviously everyone's favorite, and for a good reason. But I do think Rafa has a shot here if he is facing Federer in a potential final. I think the improvments Nadal has done to his game is proof he actually stands a chance this year. It will be a tight and interesting match for sure though, if a Fedal final is what we'll get :)

allpro
09-10-2010, 06:09 PM
negative.

Sophocles
09-10-2010, 06:11 PM
No he doesn't, & it is of zero importance.

anticaria
09-10-2010, 06:15 PM
You test my patience, this will be the last time i will reply to you. Go find someone else to stalk. And by the way, you have been reported.

:worship: thank you, speed of light!! i'm so sick of these disruptive rafa haters trolling/stalking his fans' posts and accusing them of everything under the sun.. this multiple acct. bs accusation nonsense has got to stop.. it's just a tired scare tactic used to short-circuit discussion in an attempt to unfairly discredit and discourage rafa's fans from posting..

allpro
09-10-2010, 06:19 PM
No he doesn't, & it is of zero importance.

maybe not to you, but i'm pretty sure federer cares. the guy has a ton of pride and as a student/historian of the game, i think he'd love to improve his h2h against his historic rival.

DrJules
09-10-2010, 06:27 PM
maybe not to you, but i'm pretty sure federer cares. the guy has a ton of pride and as a student/historian of the game, i think he'd love to improve his h2h against his historic rival.

Yes.

If it stops him winning grand slams.

Matt01
09-10-2010, 06:36 PM
At this stage of their respective careers, do you think it is still possible for Federer to reverse his negative head to head record against Nadal, in slams?

Anything's possible. But it's extremely unlikely. I don't think I need to explain why.

Poirot123
09-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I doubt Federer can reverse their head to head, but he has a chance of evening up their GS final Head to head to 5-3 in Nadal's favour this sunday (assuming they both make it there). 3-0 Nadal on clay where I doubt Federer can beat him over 5 sets (although he has done it a couple of times over 3 sets), 2-2 on other surfaces, and on the two occassions Nadal triumphed it was over 5 sets, including the Federer 'mare in the Australian Open (which he should've won if his serving hadn't been so terrible with a first serve % of 51% - and he earned himself 19 break points only taking 6, whereas Nadal took 7 out of 16 break points) and the epic 2008 Wimbledon final (where again Nadal saved 12/13 break points, compared to Federer only 9/13).

So the two times Nadal has beaten Federer off of clay in GS Finals, the matches have been mightly close, and in many ways could have gone to Federer. So for me, the US Open final will be very very close and it'll hinge on who serves better. It'll be as simples as that.

allpro
09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes.

If it stops him winning grand slams.

yes, that too.

JerryCRO
09-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, there is a little chance that roger can overturn it. If I'm right they are 6-2 in slams, with Roger two victories in Wimbbledon, in 2006 when Nadal wasn't even close what he is today on grass and Fed was on his best year on tour, and 2007 when few balls decided.

JerryCRO
09-10-2010, 07:13 PM
I doubt Federer can reverse their head to head, but he has a chance of evening up their GS final Head to head to 5-3 in Nadal's favour this sunday (assuming they both make it there). 3-0 Nadal on clay where I doubt Federer can beat him over 5 sets (although he has done it a couple of times over 3 sets), 2-2 on other surfaces, and on the two occassions Nadal triumphed it was over 5 sets, including the Federer 'mare in the Australian Open (which he should've won if his serving hadn't been so terrible with a first serve % of 51% - and he earned himself 19 break points only taking 6, whereas Nadal took 7 out of 16 break points) and the epic 2008 Wimbledon final (where again Nadal saved 12/13 break points, compared to Federer only 9/13).

So the two times Nadal has beaten Federer off of clay in GS Finals, the matches have been mightly close, and in many ways could have gone to Federer. So for me, the US Open final will be very very close and it'll hinge on who serves better. It'll be as simples as that.

Yes it all stands but in 2008 wimbledon without rain it would be a 3-setter to nadal, later rain helped nadal but without it nadal was so dominant in the first two sets. In AO 2009 when Fed didn't beat Rafa after 5.15 vs Verdasco with only 51% of serving but excellent court play he realised (and cried specially because of that) that rafa was better tham him. On his 2 victories against nadal i wrote 2 posts up.

Poirot123
09-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Well, there is a little chance that roger can overturn it. If I'm right they are 6-2 in slams, with Roger two victories in Wimbbledon, in 2006 when Nadal wasn't even close what he is today on grass and Fed was on his best year on tour, and 2007 when few balls decided.

I thought it was 5-2 in slams in finals... 3 French Opens, Wimbledon 2008, and AO 2009 to Nadal. And Wimbledon 2006, 2007 to Federer. I guess you're counting the FO semi final whenever that was. So really, off of clay, it's 2-2. And as I said in my previous post, off of clay, the two Nadal victories could easily have gone the other way.

swisht4u
09-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Too late for Federer, he's not getting any younger.
If he can take it this sunday, at the AO and Wimbledon next year but that is really pushing it. Though it would put them at 5-5 at GS finals and also giving Federer 19 GS's.
Lets see if Annocone can change Fed's mindset about Rafa.
Both Fed and Rafa have had some mental lapses against each other in the past. Not unusual for 2 players having so much on the line when playing.

Nervousness should start coming out at these SF's for both players though I would expect it to affect Nadal more.

Shirogane
09-10-2010, 09:26 PM
It's too late to reverse that one, I'll treat every win as a bonus though. :bounce:

Commander Data
09-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Fed won't reverse it. At best he can improve it a bit.

acionescu
09-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Of course, because the spring chicken Federer will continue to reach GS finals on HC on regular basis as it's common knowledge that time stands still for The GOAT :rolleyes:

nalbyfan
09-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Fed is too old, when he retires, Nadal will still play during several years, so no chance to reverse