Poll: Worst Grand Slam of 2010 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Poll: Worst Grand Slam of 2010

SheepleBuster
09-10-2010, 12:39 PM
US Open 2010 by far. US does not deserve a slam but that's another story

Voo de Mar
09-10-2010, 12:44 PM
US Open but still 3 matches left, maybe they'll save the event ;)

Quadruple Tree
09-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Roland Garros so far. There is still a chance for Djokovic-Federer and Djokovic/Federer-Nadal to be good matches.

anticaria
09-10-2010, 01:14 PM
i don't get why most folks deem the current uso to be the worst slam so far this year.. especially when we have the very real possibility of finally seeing rafa and fed play in their first-ever uso final..

in my humble opinion, any time either the world's 2 best tennis players fails to make the final, that's bad news..

with that in mind, i went with the aussie open final, just based on the fact that tendinitis cut rafa's chances short.. however, initially, it was a toss up between wimbledon and the french open, with roger failing to even reach the semis at either this year.. though i ultimately had to settle for the tragic prospects of an injury playing a role as the worst possible scenario.. i.e., aussie open..

here's hoping we finally get to see a fedal final at the uso this year, which, in my opinion, would redeem the entire '10 slam season..

vamos, rafa and roger.. you both gotta make the final and make this uso the best one yet..

ApproachShot
09-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Let's wait until the final before passing any conclusions on this one. The scheduling could have been better, but I've grown to expect this to be the case at the US Open. Moreover, the wind prohibited a lot of matches from being played at an even higher quality.

So far I'd rank the remainder:
1) Wimbledon
2) Australian Open
3) French Open
...although I appreciate that this is a very subjective judgement.

Helevorn
09-10-2010, 02:24 PM
USO by far, even if in the next days we see perfect matchs (and that's impossible)

SheepleBuster
09-10-2010, 02:31 PM
US Open or United States Championship according to Dick Enberg has been the worst. The wind, Saturday Semi scheduling, seeds not living to expectations on one side. It had the potential to be great but the only good match up with got was Soderling vs. Fed really. And Sod didn't show up. The U.S. does not deserve to have a slam. When our best player is Sam freaking Querrey, time to take the US Open and bring it to China or some other place. We are bankrupt anyway.

Sapeod
09-10-2010, 02:38 PM
I accidentaly voted for US Open, but it's Wimbledon, BY FAR.

emotion
09-10-2010, 02:55 PM
AO was good, Wimby was alright, RG and USO have been awful

Sapeod
09-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Wimbledon was the slowest I've ever seen it.
It has been the worst slam this year, but it was still alright.
Flushing Meadows has been okay too.
Roland Garros and the Aussie Open were very good.

r2473
09-10-2010, 03:00 PM
I was a little disappointed with UMAG this year.

sabina_RF_lee
09-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Wimbledon

samanosuke
09-10-2010, 03:08 PM
US and Wimbledon

solowyn
09-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Roland Garros, yaawn. The first week of Wimbledon was exciting!

Everko
09-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Australian Open was bad this year

Sapeod
09-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Let me guess why you think that.

Um, because Nadal didn't win it?? :scratch:

gbmkc
09-10-2010, 04:37 PM
The US Open. Dull matches, predicatable outcomes, Fedal getting ridiculously easy draws, top seeds bowing out like journeymen, everybody playing like mugs, predictable final 2, next to no drama, etc. It's been a really lousy UO.

As for whether the US should have a major: if we shouldn't Australia, France and England shouldn't. Americans win their major every now and again. When's the last time a native of one of those countries hoisted the trophy? US tennis is in bad shape, yes, and we have nothing but mugs to be ashamed of for the next 10 years or so, but we have the best slam record, by far, of any of the slam countries, and we are the only one to win our major in the last 10 years.

Topspindoctor
09-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Best slams this year were RG/W/USO/AO in that order.

Sapeod
09-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Best slams this year were RG/W/USO/AO in that order.
Funny that the 2 that Nadal won are the top 2 in your list :scratch:

Just a coincidence, right? :)

allpro
09-10-2010, 04:43 PM
excellent timing for a thread like this :rolleyes: . right before the biggest matches of the tournament (mens and womens semis and finals) are played :smash:

Topspindoctor

No. I hated AO even when Nadal won it and liked Wimbledon when Nadal lost it.

Edit: I like RG best every time tho, 'cause I like clay tennis.

Sapeod
No. I hated AO even when Nadal won it and liked Wimbledon when Nadal lost it.

Edit: I like RG best every time tho, 'cause I like clay tennis.
Okay then.

Jomp1
09-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Worst in order: USO-RG-W-AO.

Ben.
09-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Think Wimbeldon was the best personally. First week was full of excitement, Federer almost going out first round, Rafa having to come back from two sets to one down in rounds two and three. Of course the Isner/Mahut match. Lots of tight five setters, Soderling/Ferrer and Berdych/Istomin come to mind. Berdych's run to the final. Also the Nadal/Murray semi was high quality. Final was routine but you can't have it all.

Mats68
09-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Think Wimbeldon was the best personally. First week was full of excitement, Federer almost going out first round, Rafa having to come back from two sets to one down in rounds two and three. Of course the Isner/Mahut match. Lots of tight five setters, Soderling/Ferrer and Berdych/Istomin come to mind. Berdych's run to the final. Also the Nadal/Murray semi was high quality. Final was routine but you can't have it all.

I agree, Wimbledon was exciting, especially the first week.
AO comes second, it always has a great atmosphere and great matches.
RG was less entertaining this year although I always love clay tennis.
The USO so far has been really dull. Very predictable matches for the top two seeds, the wind, bad scheduling. I just hope the final week end makes up for it. A great Fedal final could make it the best slam of the season

Art&Soul
09-10-2010, 05:07 PM
If Nadull wins the whole thing, this US open could be the worst slam ever

Chopin-lover
09-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Worst in order: USO-RG-W-AO.

Agreed.

FormerRafaFan
09-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I voted USO just because I think it's been kinda boring. Very few quality matches, Youzhny/Wawrinka, Wawrinka/Murray and Ferrer/Verdasco were some good ones, but other than that.. Not so much. But I hope it changes in the next three matches. Should be tighter and more exciting in the Federer vs Djokovic match, though maybe not as interesting in the Youzhny vs Nadal match. Oh yeah, and I think French Open this year was kinda boring too. lol

finishingmove
09-10-2010, 05:20 PM
OZ by far.

djokovic, del potro and nadal crippling out etc.

ad-out
09-10-2010, 06:27 PM
French :yawn:

Start da Game
09-10-2010, 06:40 PM

by far the worst this year.......the best players were clearly injured and it took away a lot of sheen from the slam.......

d-pot was firing left and right last year, got injured just before the AO.......nadal was obviously struggling for months with injuries and djokovic looked way out of sorts.......clearly the worst slam, no wonder that frauderina won it.......

Fiberlight1
09-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Stop acting like a kid and attacking people..

or are you still butthurt about Murray

Vivalavida18
09-10-2010, 08:14 PM
by far the worst this year.......the best players were clearly injured and it took away a lot of sheen from the slam.......

d-pot was firing left and right last year, got injured just before the AO.......nadal was obviously struggling for months with injuries and djokovic looked way out of sorts.......clearly the worst slam, no wonder that frauderina won it.......

That is harsh IMO. Federer played some of his finest tennis at the AO this year. It was such clean tennis , he was rarely missing any backhands and was actually being agressive of that wing. His forehand was just on another planet. He thoroughly dismantled the 2nd best player of the tourney which was Murray. Nadal was playing great tennis in that tourney and even he stated that he acquired his injury at the start of the 3rd set against Murray. Djokovic could have been in sorts if he wanted but the bottom line is that the guy has lost his game and I doubt Federer would have had any trouble dispatching of him.

jcreback
09-10-2010, 08:17 PM
The one whose SFists included Soderling, Berdych, and Melzer.

Mlad
09-10-2010, 08:46 PM
RG and Wimbly were both shitty

Filo V.
09-10-2010, 10:10 PM
I think most majors pretty much suck after the first couple of rounds until the SF/F.

Sapeod
09-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Stop acting like a kid and attacking people..

or are you still butthurt about Murray
I was only kidding, jeez :rolleyes:
And how exactly was I attacking that person? :haha:

No, I'm not "butthurt" about Murray :rolleyes:

straitup
09-10-2010, 10:25 PM
AO was pretty good all-around I thought. RG really was boring, I love the tournament and the clay but they haven't had a great great match in a while. Wimbledon's first week was electrifying, but the second week was a major let down. And the USO...kinda dampened by the wind but not too bad, we've seen great matches.

ReturnWinner
09-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Wimbledon and Roland Garros were not that great either, Australia was better but nothing extraordinary.
Not a great year of tennis.

emotion
09-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Agreed.

Were you Chopin on TTW?

I love clay tennis, even though I hate Nadal but AO was best for me by far.

MalwareDie
09-11-2010, 12:22 AM
This year's US Open is pretty bad.

born_on_clay
09-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Australian Open

Topspindoctor
09-11-2010, 09:42 AM
AO was another boring tournament as expected. Nole was sick, Rafa injured. Clownga and Mugray both failed against old man Federer :o Even Henin/Williams match was better than the crappy AO men's final :haha:

FairWeatherFan
09-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Wimbledon, which has been pathetic since they slowed the surface down to the speed of a snail and as a result Nadal started a getting deep into the tournament.

cutesteve22
09-11-2010, 02:08 PM
2010 RG Wimbledon suck

Voo de Mar
09-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Rain doesn't improve the general mark of this year's US Open :o

LaFuria
09-13-2010, 10:23 PM
This year's US Open could be the worst grand slam in history.

They were all bad except Wimbledon though.

.-Federers_Mate-.
09-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Aus Open was the best slam. Tsonga-Almagro, delpo vs blake, gasquet vs youzhny, Murray and Nadal (off the top of my head) were all better than anything that other slams have produced.

Worst slam was the french, because there was no drama or memorable matches. The only matches i actually liked were murray-gasquet,baghdatis vs murray, soderling vs Cilic and maybe the monfils match.

the 2nd week of Wimby was a non-event.

Quakes
09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
we have the best slam record, by far, of any of the slam countries, and we are the only one to win our major in the last 10 years.

Well, on the men's side, I'd say Australia gives America a run for its money in terms of great champions. Rosewell/Laver/Emerson/Newcombe balances out Connors/McEnroe/Sampras/Agassi easily in my book.

.-Federers_Mate-.
09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
This year's US Open could be the worst grand slam in history.

They were all bad except Wimbledon though.

Aus open was great, not as good as recent years but still great. Crowds were huge aswell compared to 09

Xristos
09-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Uso.

dombrfc
09-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Wimby, painfully slow.

superganon
09-13-2010, 10:31 PM
wimbledon. plz tell me a match except federer-berdych that were worth watchin? tsonga-murray? lol

Brick Top
09-13-2010, 10:33 PM
RG - predictable as always...good for the betting anyways.

fed invented god
09-13-2010, 10:39 PM
and when I started a thread about how this was one of the worst tennis years ever (including AO) I was called a fedtard.... LOL

Mechlan
09-13-2010, 10:41 PM
The Australian Open was the best. Wimbledon and RG were both pretty bad. USO, depends on if the final is a straight set drubbing.

tennisfan856
09-13-2010, 10:52 PM
honestly, except for the tipsarevic/roddick match and the last set of federer/djokovic, this has been the worst atp grand slam by far for me. At least French had some drama with sod/federer, murray/berdych, sod/berdych, and gabashvili was a pleasant surprise. Here, there was only one night session out of 12 that was really entertaining. The tournament has been a colossal failure this year, and that could also be attributed to the conditions of the players after they have continuously grinded from January to the end of August.

Voo de Mar
09-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Here, there was only one night session out of 12 that was really entertaining.

I don't know which NS you mean but only Youzhny-Isner was a 4-setter, all other NS matches were 3-setters and none of them spectacular - the most equal Nadal-Gabashvili without serious chances to take a set of Nadal, so nothing special there too :o Hopelessly pathetic night sessions during the fortnight.

.-Federers_Mate-.
09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't know which NS you mean but only Youzhny-Isner was a 4-setter, all other NS matches were 3-setters and none of them spectacular - the most equal Nadal-Gabashvili without serious chances to take a set of Nadal, so nothing special there too :o Hopelessly pathetic night sessions during the fortnight.

Nadal vs lalo, Djok vs blake and petz, Fed vs Melzer, Isner, Nadal vs gaba were all entertaining.

Fed Fan
09-13-2010, 11:21 PM
In terms of the quality of tennis, the Australian Open was the best this year, and by some distance. Roland Garros and Wimbledon were both pretty patchy, and this feeling was made worse with pretty unmemorable finals. It's a bit harsh to criticise this year's US Open too much (except for the annual and necessary digs at the organisers), as the weather has not exactly provided favourable conditions for good tennis.

Ivanatis
09-13-2010, 11:22 PM
the current one

tennisfan856
09-13-2010, 11:23 PM

The tipsy/roddick was the best ns for me. Youz/Isner was awful tennis, and it wasn't Mikhail's fault. Nadal/Gabs was impressive ball-striking, but the result was never in doubt.

Fed, they were ok matches, but I am talking about the matches that left you on the edge of your seat, and that was only one set of tennis in the whole grand slam.

Pirata.
09-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Nadal vs lalo, Djok vs blake and petz, Fed vs Melzer, Isner, Nadal vs gaba were all entertaining.

Istomin-Nadal was good. Denis kept fighting even when he missed out on taking the second set :hug:

Cat9
09-13-2010, 11:24 PM
US Open or United States Championship according to Dick Enberg has been the worst. The wind, Saturday Semi scheduling, seeds not living to expectations on one side. It had the potential to be great but the only good match up with got was Soderling vs. Fed really. And Sod didn't show up. The U.S. does not deserve to have a slam. When our best player is Sam freaking Querrey, time to take the US Open and bring it to China or some other place. We are bankrupt anyway.

Complete idiocy, from beginning to end.

Voo de Mar
09-13-2010, 11:27 PM
The tipsy/roddick was the best ns for me. Youz/Isner was awful tennis, and it wasn't Mikhail's fault. Nadal/Gabs was impressive ball-striking, but the result was never in doubt.

Oh, I forgot about Tipsarevic's match :o Yes, it was the best NS match at UO '10, really decent 4-setter with 2 tight sets and 5th set hanging in the air. Anyway I'm curious whether it's the first US Open edition without a 5-setter in the night session.

tennisfan856
09-13-2010, 11:33 PM
It very well could be, I was waiting for the year where organizers would pay for their lackluster matchups during the night session. Any smart tennis fan wouldn't pay top dollar to see venus play a qualifier by the first thursday of the tournament. Directors need to take a long hard look that fans want to see even tennis, not the top 3 steamrolling through their matches. Unless the NYC crowd is ok with that of course. As much as I dislike Sam, he deserved a night session match, perhaps against Almagro.

tennishero
09-13-2010, 11:51 PM
AO, a lot of top players lost early.

.-Federers_Mate-.
09-14-2010, 04:13 AM
AO, a lot of top players lost early.

no they didnt. The Quaters were star studed. GOAT vs inform player, 08 rematch, player to prove something vs up and comer, and of course murray vs Nadal.