USO QF: Youzhny def. Wawrinka 3-6, 7-6[7], 3-6, 6-3, 6-3. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO QF: Youzhny def. Wawrinka 3-6, 7-6[7], 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Speed of Light
09-09-2010, 11:39 PM
What a match!

william_renshaw
Good win for Misha :)

Shirogane
I was always gonna be happy for the winner, but sad for the loser :hug: since I like both players.

Well fought Misha. :D Best of luck on Saturday! :yeah:

TheBoiledEgg
well done Misha ;) :D :)

loved those cat/mouse rallies :bounce:

that was really well fought

SheepleBuster
09-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Mugrinka choked this. But I am glad Youzhny won. At least he has beaten Rafa in the past.

jcreback
Great effort by both guys. Both of them leaving it out there.

asmazif
good work colonel :) 2nd GS semi!

scarecrows
great match
no pushing allowed

TennisOnWood
09-09-2010, 11:41 PM
What a match!

Worst we had in a while

Orka_n
Well done, colonel. Now make the final. I believe in you. :yeah:

Stan, excellent tournament. Great effort. :hug:

Lopez
Wawrinka had an awesome gameplan and executed it very well, sucking the normally more aggressive Youzhny into long and exhausting, clay-like rallies (of course the wind helped him since Mika couldn't attack as much). The only problem was that his legs betrayed him and Youzhny took advantage.

Hope Mika has something left for the semi :yeah:. Would like to see a competitive match!

Helevorn
09-09-2010, 11:42 PM
this match sucked, anyway deserved win by Youzhny and good for my money, now let's watch him lose 3-0 in the SF

Ben.
Stan just too tired in the end, smartly played by Youzhny. Well done to both.

latso
embarassement for the sport

whattan utter crap

good Lord :confused:

SheepleBuster
09-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Nadal is dancing in the streets now. I mean he is facing his b**** in Verdasco. Then Youzhny who is dead tired and in his best day would have like 10% chance of beating this Rafa. Then he goes to final while Fed and Novak battle hard for that spot. All I am saying is, why not just hand this trophy to him right now. I mean his draw has been a piece of cake so why don't we just close this sh** of a tournament down and get ready for AO in a few months.

muniu
fuck yeah :rocker2: :Woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: the match was pathetic :o but who cares Misha's in the SF!

viruzzz
Spain won!

Voo de Mar
09-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Youzhny :yeah: Good for the tournament, he's one of a very few players who have beaten Nadal a couple times on hardcourts.

The level of play Wawrinka showed in the last two sets I expected from him in the 2nd and 3rd set (because of his thigh problems in the two previous long matches) but on the assumption he was two points away from taking the second set we can say that he would have won in straight sets!

Youzhny celebrated calmly, I think it's a good sign before the semifinal, he believes that he can beat Nadal and reach the final.

Montego
09-09-2010, 11:45 PM
First sets were abysmal, but later it was better. Youzhny is so fun to watch and his slo-mo tennis and cat and mouse games are fun

Great fight, Misha.

Now beat Nadal :devil:

TennisOnWood
Youzhny :yeah: Good for the tournament, he's one of a few players who have beaten Nadal a couple times on hardcourts.

The level of play Wawrinka showed in the last two sets I expected from him in the 2nd and 3rd set (because of his thigh problems in the two previous long matches) but on the assumption he was two points away from taking the second set we can say that he would have won in straight sets!

Youzhny celebrated calmly, I think it's a good sign before the semifinal, he believes that he can beat Nadal and reach the final.

After this performance :eek:

Montego
and a Top10 ranking for Mikhail as well

Bayo
I don't think Stan had anything left by the fifth set. :(

scarecrows
09-09-2010, 11:46 PM
those who say it was a crap match, i'd like to see them play in such wind

tennisfan856
no wind for saturday. Colonel better bring the heat with his serve against nadal or it will be a quick demise. This pushing better not happen again.

oranges
Colonel :hatoff: Welcome back to top 10
Excellent tournament for Stan too. Can't win every five setter :p

selyoink
09-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Hard fought match. Wawrinka looked devastated.

I hope Youzhny is ready to take it to Nadull as he used to do assuming Mugdasco bends over as is expected.

Voo de Mar
09-09-2010, 11:47 PM
After this performance :eek:

I think he was tense today because he was the favorite. Against Nadal he'll be the underdog who has nothing to lose, it can produce a better tennis from himself.

latso
09-09-2010, 11:48 PM

we'd make a crap match as well

what's ur point? it was beautiful?

buahahaha

SheepleBuster
09-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Hard fought match. Wawrinka looked devastated.

I hope Youzhny is ready to take it to Nadull as he used to do assuming Mugdasco bends over as is expected.

In this wind, Verdasco is going to get abused and probably embarrassed. I expect a 6-1, 6-0, 7-5 match

Orka_n
09-09-2010, 11:50 PM

buahahahaThere is such a thing as "good considering the circumstances". :tennis:

Shirogane
09-09-2010, 11:51 PM

:yeah:

muniu

buahahaha

I think you wouldn't be able to hit 3 balls in a row unless you're Gregor dimitrov or sth :shrug:

Misha :cheer: :woohoo:

latso
There is such a thing as "good considering the circumstances". :tennis:
like if murray wasn't that ugly he'd be actually handsome?

yeah, i guess pink glasses do exist

latso
09-09-2010, 11:53 PM
I think you wouldn't be able to hit 3 balls in a row unless you're Gregor dimitrov or sth :shrug:

Misha :cheer: :woohoo:

i won't be able

and it will be ugly

probably even uglier than what i endured tonight

thn again - what's ur point? i have to say it was nice looking coz "there are circumstances that made it ugly"?

plsss

TennisOnWood
09-09-2010, 11:54 PM
I think he was tense today because he was the favorite. Against Nadal he'll be the underdog who has nothing to lose, it can produce a better tennis from himself.

You know very well what Rafa is chasing here.. bloody Russian will be cut into pieces

Voo de Mar
09-09-2010, 11:57 PM
You know very well what Rafa is chasing here.. bloody Russian will be cut into pieces

I've been expecting Nadal to win the event since the 3rd round but don't think he does it without dropping some sets.

oranges
09-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Latso, we get it, you didn't enjoy it. A lot uf us obviously did. It was fun, despite being scrappy. Misha has such an enjoyable game :yeah: I'd also watch it just for those BH/BH rallies, though it looks even better in Youzhny-Gasquet combination

Filo V.
09-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Scrappy match, good heart from both. Misha has more variety and had more left in the tank, which ended up being the two main factors that brought him the victory. The slice backhands both used are a nice changeup from the usual bashing of the ball. But overall, that was definitely not a pretty match to watch. You have to be a true tennis fan to enjoy a match like that.

Congrats to Misha on making the SF and getting back in the top 10.

nsidhan
09-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Strategically timed injury timeout by Misha and he got the break that basically decided the match.

DartMarcus
09-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Bad result.
I hope there will be double default in the Nadal - Youzhny semis, so that we won't see any of these guys in the final.

malisha
09-10-2010, 12:11 AM
but on the assumption he was two points away from taking the second set we can say that he would have won in straight sets!

shitty assumption though

malisha
09-10-2010, 12:12 AM
good

took more time than it sholud have but congrats on the semi colonel

Voo de Mar
09-10-2010, 12:13 AM
shitty assumption though

Shitty assumption would be if I had written "he should have won".

Chiseller
09-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Not particularly pleasing to watch, too often did the wind play a major role.

malisha
09-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Shitty assumption would be if I had written "he should have won".

ah well sorry then my english vocabular is very limited

think Stan wolud struggle to close it out in 3

Voo de Mar
09-10-2010, 12:19 AM
ah well sorry then my english vocabular is very limited

think Stan wolud struggle to close it out in 3

I'm far away from statements "because he won second set he should have won in straight sets if he'd converted his chances in the first". IMO scoreline dictates the progress of play thus I can easily imagine Youzhny winning in 5 after being two-sets-to-love today after that tie-break.

CrossCourt13
09-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Not sure if Wawrinka tactics here (and partially in his last match) were influenced by his injury/fatigue problems combined with the conditions but that was really weird seeing him play like that. At times it looked like watching a combination of Ljubicic/Monfils with all that slice n dice from the middle of the court. Funny thing is that he was dominating when he played his A game from the back of the court, the whole 3rd set being the obvious example.

ZaZoo)
09-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Youzhny is dead meat, he got to SF beating who? Isner and just barely beating tired Wawrinka (I won't count Boredo). And not just by who he beat, you can see his game is all pushing, slicing/dicing. Hes dead against Nadal.

propi
09-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Misha :banana::dance:
Congrats for your victory and for your top 10 :bounce: now I only need Melzer in top 10 too ;)

Clydey
09-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Overjoyed. Couldn't handle hearing any more of Wawrinka's retarded yelling after winning a big point.

Long overdue return to form for Youzhny. Delighted for him.

oranges
09-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Youzhny is dead meat, he got to SF beating who? Isner and just barely beating tired Wawrinka (I won't count Boredo). And not just by who he beat, you can see his game is all pushing, slicing/dicing. Hes dead against Nadal.

:spit: Djokovic fan of all people calling that pushing, plus arguing it's no dice against Nadal.

peribsen
09-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Nadal is dancing in the streets now. I mean he is facing his b**** in Verdasco. Then Youzhny who is dead tired and in his best day would have like 10% chance of beating this Rafa. Then he goes to final while Fed and Novak battle hard for that spot. All I am saying is, why not just hand this trophy to him right now. I mean his draw has been a piece of cake so why don't we just close this sh** of a tournament down and get ready for AO in a few months.

No, his draw hasn't been a piece of cake. A draw is the players you are expected to have to face, mot the players you actually get to play against. The draw included several tough candidates (Murray, Nalby, Gulbis, Ljubivic...). Nobody is responsible for his rivals failing to make the match.

Not strange though that you bring up rafa, your nemesis, on a thread about a match where he hasn´t played.

You're scared of him, eh? Don't worry,I understand your byas.

ZaZoo)
09-10-2010, 01:02 AM
:spit: Djokovic fan of all people calling that pushing, plus arguing it's no dice against Nadal.

Djokovic didn't push, Monfils did.

oranges
09-10-2010, 01:04 AM
Djokovic didn't push, Monfils did.

Djokovic pushes for the past two years. Misha is a ball basher in comparison. In reality, a pretty agressive all-courter, unless it's become a sin to use slice strategically

Matt01
09-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Terrible match.

Stan was injured and should have won this. :bigcry:

Ibracadabra
09-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Better player won and as i hoped he has a chance of reaching london.

Action Jackson
09-10-2010, 01:34 AM
Tough conditions, congrats to Colonel on his 2nd Slam semi.

ZaZoo)
09-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Djokovic pushes for the past two years. Misha is a ball basher in comparison. In reality, a pretty agressive all-courter, unless it's become a sin to use slice strategically

Sorry but no.

SheepleBuster
09-10-2010, 01:48 AM
No, his draw hasn't been a piece of cake. A draw is the players you are expected to have to face, mot the players you actually get to play against. The draw included several tough candidates (Murray, Nalby, Gulbis, Ljubivic...). Nobody is responsible for his rivals failing to make the match.

Not strange though that you bring up rafa, your nemesis, on a thread about a match where he hasn´t played.

You're scared of him, eh? Don't worry,I understand your byas.

I am scared of Rafa? Listen to yourself. Dude. I am not playing him. I don't live his rivals' life. He wins, he wins. Tennis is just a game my friend. Entertainment. Better than other stupid crap on TV

oranges
09-10-2010, 01:51 AM
Sorry but no.

Well, that settles it :lol: Might I suggest checking eyesight

Action Jackson
09-10-2010, 01:54 AM

You can't expect much from the masses. Yes, it was really easy to play flawless tennis into the wind, then again this would require taking tough conditions into consideration, that will be happening not.

gulzhan
09-10-2010, 02:20 AM
It was a good match with great result. Misha played very smart.

Lundgren is too annoying though :o

gulzhan
09-10-2010, 02:32 AM

Like your objectivity.

It was Roger who hadn't played a single match at this USO yet. Novak is in very bad form and wind won't help him either. Not to mention his physical limits.

Rafa had two very tough matches from the very beginning of the tournament, both against Russians, why do you think Youzhny will not fight as much? Unlike Gabash or Istomin, Youzhny beat Rafa here and that makes a big difference.

And finally, I believe Verdasco challenged Rafa for the spot in semi much more than Soderling challenged Fed for same.

I guess Fedtards never have enough. Roger will have an extra day before semi, I am 100% sure his semifinal will be first so that he has more rest before the final, and yet all Fedtards will scream-- too hard for Roger, too easy for Rafa...

oranges
09-10-2010, 02:39 AM
And finally, I believe Verdasco challenged Rafa for the spot in semi much more than Soderling challenged Fed for same.

That one is negative. Nando came to play just in the first set, once he blew the lead there, it was all over. Soderling was in the match all along, just couldn't do much on big points.

gbmkc
09-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Figures and whatever. I like both players, off and on, though I'd probably be more excited for a Stan win. But, good for Misha.

allpro
09-10-2010, 04:27 AM
an entertaning match. too bad wawrinka ran out of steam at the end.

*Jean*
09-10-2010, 04:59 AM
Mikhail :)

Turquoise
09-10-2010, 05:43 AM
Well done Youzhny!

Smoke944
09-10-2010, 05:49 AM

Get your common sense off of MTF ;)

great job by the Colonel, I will never complain about him winning. Seeing Boris Sobkin jump out of his chair is simply awesome :D

Mario Sharapov
09-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Well done Colonel. You repeated your 2006 performance. Now do your best in the SF against Nadal. You have nothing to lose :bounce:

norwegian_wood
09-10-2010, 07:20 AM
:bounce: Well done Misha!

Tough for Stan. :sad:

Har-Tru
09-10-2010, 07:25 AM
You go Stanley, you go! :worship:

Now win it all Colonel! I've decided to forget that dodgy time-out at 2-2 fifth set.

Kolya
09-10-2010, 07:27 AM
H2H is 7 to 4, Nadal.

Very respectable for a non-regular top 10 player.

Keep up the good work Misha! :yeah:

tennishero
09-10-2010, 11:37 AM
great match
no pushing allowed

:confused: a lot of pushing in the rallies, specially youzhny with his backhand slice.

Action Jackson
09-10-2010, 11:41 AM
You go Stanley, you go! :worship:

Now win it all Colonel! I've decided to forget that dodgy time-out at 2-2 fifth set.

Stani has pulled a strategic timeout in the past, but we know the time out rules are a joke.

Komodo
09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Like your objectivity.

It was Roger who hadn't played a single match at this USO yet. Novak is in very bad form and wind won't help him either. Not to mention his physical limits.

1. How is Djokovic in "very bad from"? The guy is playing GREAT tennis at these US Open after the tough first round match. Did you see what he did with Gael Monfils? "Very bad" is beyond stupid and ignorant.
I would put my money on Djokovic against Nadul without doubt.

I guess you can't take a lot of people seriously on these boards.

dabeast
09-10-2010, 01:18 PM
WOOOOOOOOOO!!! Mikhail :bigclap:

pls make the final :rocker2:

tedlesurfeur
09-10-2010, 02:20 PM

No.9, to be more specific :D

H2H is 7 to 4, Nadal.

Very respectable for a non-regular top 10 player.

Keep up the good work Misha! :yeah:

Totally, he's one of the very few players who have beaten Nadal four times or more.

syc23
09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
So the guy feigns injury against Murray and played out of his skin to knock out Murray (also to please his master, Roger) then reverts back to his old ways by losing to a player he should be beating in Youzhny.

Time to retire muppet :rolleyes:

Topspindoctor
09-10-2010, 05:02 PM
So the guy feigns injury against Murray and played out of his skin to knock out Murray (also to please his master, Roger) then reverts back to his old ways by losing to a player he should be beating in Youzhny.

1) Federer isn't scared of Murray, I am sure he'd rather Murray beat Stan and then Nadal, so he could have fun with his pigeon in the finals

2) Wawrinka ran out of gas in Youzhny match. He had tough match against Murray and Querrery

oranges
09-10-2010, 05:09 PM

This post is even funnier than the last one. Surely, you're not just a sore loser. I thought World Life is the only Muzzatard around and he has age as alleviating circumstance.

syc23
09-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Oh it's you again oranges. Can't handle the verbal slapdown I gave you the other day? No?

ad-out
09-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Very happy for Misha and would LOVE to see the upset tomorrow. :D

Matt01
09-10-2010, 05:24 PM

1) Wawrinka was injured.

2) Youzhny is much higher than Warwrinka in the rankings. A win of Warinka would be another upset.

finishingmove
09-10-2010, 05:25 PM
what's with those freaks in wawrinka's box, huh ?

youzhny was always a better player in my eyes. deserved win.

he'll go down to nadal in 3

oranges
09-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Oh it's you again oranges. Can't handle the verbal slapdown I gave you the other day? No?

:lol: In truth, the existence of an adult whining Muzzatard is the hard to handle part

allpro
09-10-2010, 06:37 PM

:lol:

r2473
09-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Early in the match Cliff asked BG what he thought was the over / under for length of match. I think BG said 2:35. Cliff said something like 2:53 I think.

I said to myself, probably more like 4:00.

So as I was watching the end of the 5th set, I was watching the clock. As far as I could tell, the match lasted exactly 4 hours.

By the way, I put the over / under for the Nadal-Misha match at 2:30 (it really depends on how slowly Rafa chooses to ply). I see no problems for Nadal.

I'm thinking that the Fed-Joker match could also be a straight setter and last about as long.

Of course nobody on MTF will know what happens in the Fed-Nadal finals because, as I was surprised to find out, this is going to be a low quality boring match and we will all be watching something else because we are so bored with Fedal finals.

ShotmaKer
09-11-2010, 12:37 AM
I guess Fedtards never have enough. Roger will have an extra day before semi, I am 100% sure his semifinal will be first so that he has more rest before the final, and yet all Fedtards will scream-- too hard for Roger, too easy for Rafa...

fail.

ReturnWinner
09-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Congratulations Mihail :) just reached his second USO semifinals, hopefully He can reach the final.

Ibracadabra
09-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Very surprised to realise misha has never reached a masters semi. For a player of such class thats strange.