watch out for youzhny.. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

watch out for youzhny..

anticaria
09-09-2010, 02:10 PM
the russian's been flying under the radar while all the focus has been on wawrinka's remarkable run to the quarters..

but let's not forget the russian is the only guy left in rafa's half who's ever beaten rafa before:

i.e., while rafa's..

10:0, 9 sets to 2 and 4:0 on hc against nando verdasco, including their only hc slam meeting ('09 aussie open in 5 sets).. and

6:0, 9 sets to 0 and 4:0 on hc against wawrinka, including their only hc slam meeting ('07 aussie open)..

the spaniard's merely 7:4 against youzhny and he actually trails the russian 3:4 on hc, including 2 hc slam meetings which they've split (rafa prevailing at the '05 aussie open in 5 sets and mikhail prevailing at the '06 uso in 4 sets).. the russian's also won 2 of the 3 tiebreaks they've played, all on hc.. and they're both tied at 2 sets apiece on hc in straight sets..

worst of all, youzhny also handed rafa his worst-ever defeat at the chennai hc event in '08 6-0, 6-1, which was also their last hc meeting..

we can safely assume rafa would much rather face stan in the semis..

meanwhile, while wawrinka and youzhny are tied at 2:2 lifetime, the russian leads the swiss 2:0 in hc meetings:

'10 miami masters: 1-6, 7-6(5), 7-5

'07 canada masters: 6-4, 6-4

again, keep an eye on the russian.. cause if anyone can stop rafa from reaching the finals at the uso this year, it is mikhail..

oranges
09-09-2010, 02:15 PM
This is all news to you and you just discovered him, didn't you :spit:

Action Jackson
09-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Hahahahahaha

anticaria
09-09-2010, 02:37 PM
This is all news to you and you just discovered him, didn't you

the op wasn't just about the russian.. but i see you didn't read any of it.. :wavey:

Li Ching Yuen
09-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah, he's been around the tour for the last decade or so.
:spit:

gulzhan
09-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey, don't jinx Misha! :armed:

Actually, I wanted to do same for my fave :p and seriously considered opening a thread "Wawa will get into semi and then final, you heard it here first" :lol:

oranges
09-09-2010, 02:55 PM
If you pay attention today, you might also learn they both have beautiful single handers. So many new discoveries, don't get overwhelmed :lol:

borracho
09-09-2010, 03:09 PM
excellent field work Sherlock!

straitup
09-09-2010, 03:13 PM
:rolls: Someone went a little crazy...

As much as I want Youzhny to beat Nadal if they play, Rafa's turned the table on their H2H. And that 6-0 6-1 win was a whipping, but it was also the day after Rafa's 4 hour match against Moya.

anticaria
09-09-2010, 03:53 PM
As much as I want Youzhny to beat Nadal if they play, Rafa's turned the table on their H2H. And that 6-0 6-1 win was a whipping, but it was also the day after Rafa's 4 hour match against Moya.

not only that but, back then, even on a good day, rafa was still way too vulnerable on the hc against any of these heavy-hitting guys, especially when they were in the zone..

similar to what what happened to roger, albeit on clay, in the '08 french open final.. got caught with his pants down and taken to the woodshed by an in-the-zone opponent..

FormerRafaFan
09-09-2010, 03:54 PM
I think Youzhny is a player with a huge potential. He may not win USO this year, maybe not ever. But he is going to make it tough on Nadal in the SF. And yeah, he is going to win against Stan today.

anticaria
09-09-2010, 03:59 PM
If you pay attention today, you might also learn they both have beautiful single handers. So many new discoveries, don't get overwhelmed

i'll try not to, bud collins.. thanks for the advice.. :wavey:

San Rosso
09-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I think nobody is able to beat Nadal this event, one of his few weaknesses (his serve) is as awesome and maybe even better than some of the hardhitters this tournament, he's hard to break and is a master in breaking others.

anticaria
09-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I think nobody is able to beat Nadal this event, one of his few weaknesses (his serve) is as awesome and maybe even better than some of the hardhitters this tournament, he's hard to break and is a master in breaking others.

i agree with you, roma.. however, the fact that misha's been sneaking through the draw under the radar is what initially prompted me to start this thread.. the focus has all been on wawrinka..

btw.. no doubt rafa is an infinitely improved player since the last time he and misha met on a hc, but still.. another potential uso meeting with the russian is not to be taken lightly..

in the meantime, first things first.. let's hope stan is able to step it up and score his first-ever hc win over misha.. hopefully in 5 long, arduous sets.. :devil:

ad-out
09-09-2010, 05:08 PM
I just Misha beats Stan today and gets there.. Then we might actually have a good semi final match! :)

dodo
09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Yeah, that Chennai result is not exactly relevant here.

Youzhny does have a chance, but Rafa, a much better HC player than in their previous meetings, is the clear favourite here. Novak and Fed are the only ones left with a more realistic chance of beating him.

Here are the odds created by people with money on the line, not just retarded fanboying notions -

Roger Federer 2.26
Rafael Nadal 2.38
Novak Djokovic 8.8
Mikhail Youzhny 85
Fernando Verdasco 95
Stanislas Wawrinka 100

Fed/Nole odds will drop a fair bit after they finish their match and unless its some huge mugfest, whoever wins will be a favourite against Rafa.

Leo
09-09-2010, 05:58 PM
I just Misha beats Stan today and gets there.. Then we might actually have a good semi final match! :)

This.

Also I'm glad that the bookies were smart enough to give Youzhny a slightly better shot at winning the USO than Verdasco, despite their respective seedings.

anticaria
09-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah, that Chennai result is not exactly relevant here.

Youzhny does have a chance, but Rafa, a much better HC player than in their previous meetings, is the clear favourite here. Novak and Fed are the only ones left with a more realistic chance of beating him.

i don't necessarily disagree with you.. however, the op was predicated only on the premise of who could realistically stop rafa from reaching the final.. i.e., misha would have to be given the nod over stan or nando as the russian's the only one in his half who's beaten rafa before, and at the uso no less, while the hype and focus have both been squarely on stan..

Dougie
09-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Seriously, neither one of them will beat Nadal, not even close, but I suppose colonel could make it at least a little tighter than Wawrinka. Hopefully tonight´s match will be entertaining, looking forward to some nice singlehanders!

anticaria
09-09-2010, 11:54 PM
oh sht.. here we go.. rafa vs. misha: the uso rematch..

Speed of Light
09-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Let us wait and watch. I think Youzhny will win in 4 tight sets after Rafa suffers a knee injury. There, i've totally jinxed him.

Persimmon
09-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Dark headbanging horse.

tennismaster1978
09-10-2010, 03:32 AM
Rafa's a better player now than he was when he had problems with youzhny. He'll win in straights

paseo
09-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Yes. I'll watch him losing in straight sets.

anticaria
09-10-2010, 05:01 PM
i think we can all safely agree that rafa's an infinitely improved hc player this year.. in fact, i believe his all-surface dominance is just now reaching its peak..

the questions now are:

how do we know the memory of that lopsided loss to misha in chennai (their last meeting on hc) and of course his loss to the russian at the '06 uso will not find their way into rafa's psyche during this match?

is there any reason to believe the russian may have gotten 'in rafa's head' on hc?

what makes this match-up so up in the air is the fact that they haven't played each other since '08.. will misha pick up right where he left off in chennai or will rafa pick up right where he left off at wimby that year? :confused:

we're talking 2 straight-set matches including a breadstick.. :eek:

in rafa's favor: he won their last meeting, and at a major no less.. and he does lead misha 3:1 at the majors ('05 aussie open, '07 and '08 wimby)..

in misha's favor: he won their last hc meeting in disastrous fashion and he's beaten rafa at the uso..

and disturbingly enough: every single one of their slam meetings has included a 6-1 set.. <gulp>

Topspindoctor
09-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Watch out for Youzhny? The choking mug who couldn't straight set injured Isner and tired Wawrinka? Nadal will kill him.

anticaria
09-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Watch out for Youzhny? The choking mug who couldn't straight set injured Isner and tired Wawrinka? Nadal will kill him.

i hope you're right, topspin! i hope rafa brings his 'a' game and takes no prisoners.. but again, what concerns me is the 'mental match-up' between them..

btw.. against nando, rafa only played as well as he needed to.. but he has to bring his best against youzhny and put his foot down early.. cause i want rafa to make the final without dropping a set.. and i also don't want him spending any unnecessary energy in the semis cause he will need every extra ounce of firepower on sunday against either roger or djoko..