A question about the duck name [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

A question about the duck name

Peta Pan
09-14-2004, 01:00 PM
I am probably really stupid and missing something really obvious... but how did the whole duck name come about - I believe it started as a derogatory name from anti-Andy people? But why?

I've never really taken any notice until now because I wasn't a fan.

athena_wu
09-14-2004, 01:10 PM
I wanna to know it, too. Why call him duck?

star
09-14-2004, 01:17 PM
:)

We seem to answer this question every other week in one thread or another, but we are such motormouths, it would be horrid to have to dig through all those posts. :)

The people on MTF who don't like Roddick originally called him all sorts of names (many of them obscene) and also decided that he looked like a duck..... Donald Duck in particular.... so some "wit" began calling Andy "Rodduck" which morphed into "Roduck" as well, and also simply "Duck". And because these same lovely people also decided that all of Andy's fans were also morally and mentally deficient, they started calling them "ducks" or variations of that word and even created a place on another board devoted to discussing the "cult" they labled "Duck Nation," i.e., Andy's fans who posted here.

At any rate, most of Andy's fans sort of started laughing at that and we started calling ourselves "duckies" and started making up thread titles to take advantage of the fun. Things snowballed, and I can't remember exactly what came first. We started making thread titles with Duck in them, and refering to ourselves as duckies sort of around the same time. Some people got duck avatars and dropped them and got them back again, and then more people got duck avatars.

Bottom line is that it is all silliness and fun and nothing serious at all. The duck is our mascot and our talisman and our little joke. :)

If you want true freakishness....... you need to search out Mister Q's tit cam, and boobie pictures. :lol:

PennyThePenguin
09-14-2004, 01:23 PM
another point i'd like to add star. abt how i first started calling papaduck a duck. see some forums have the censor thingy. and the admin forgot to remove -dick- from the list...so everytime we typed RODDICK, it got censored to become RODDUCK. so we found that hilarious. and it stuck. sorry. but i call u guys ducklings as a term of endearment. :angel:

star
09-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Thank you Jiat. I didn't know that the duck name had morphed that way.

And I know you are always a friend to the duckies even though you aren't so fond of "Papaduck." :kiss: :kiss:

Peta Pan
09-14-2004, 01:43 PM
:)

We seem to answer this question every other week in one thread or another, but we are such motormouths, it would be horrid to have to dig through all those posts. :)

Eeek sorry :p I hate making a topic reoccur! But I didn't see anything in the near past so I didn't realise :)

I really don't see the resemblance to any ducks, but I think it's a nice term of endearment so I don't mind... I might even find a duck pic to use as an avatar for a while sometime down the line.

If you want true freakishness....... you need to search out Mister Q's tit cam, and boobie pictures. :lol:

What's that? Is it anything to do with ducks? :confused:

PennyThePenguin
09-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Thank you Jiat. I didn't know that the duck name had morphed that way.

And I know you are always a friend to the duckies even though you aren't so fond of "Papaduck." :kiss: :kiss:

:hug::hug::hug: it morphed that way for me at least

star
09-14-2004, 02:14 PM
What's that? Is it anything to do with ducks? :confused:

Well. Tangentially. :)

Fumus
09-14-2004, 02:19 PM
It all goes back to the childhood of Andy Roddick. As a young tennis star, Andy was an excellent athlete. Andy said "I can run fast, I can hit the ball far, I am a good tennis player". The other children would always test Andy's super abilities in their school yard game "duck duck goose". Andy was soo fast the goose could never catch him, so he was always known as "the duck"....

Peta Pan
09-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Well. Tangentially. :)

OK, so now I'm all intrigued :p

How am I supposed to find it? Any particular word I could put in the search function that will make it easier to find?

andyroxmysox12191
09-14-2004, 09:21 PM
um i think it was a thread in here called Mandy on Andy? aaaawww or something like that lmao. just go to like page two or three or something. you'll find it :)