Night Sessions: Woman almost always play after men! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Night Sessions: Woman almost always play after men!

zcess81
09-09-2010, 09:20 AM
It's soo bloody annoying. It's bad enought that at USO they have night sessions to begin with (trying to squeeze EVERY CENT possible of course) but to make matters even worse USO organizers ALMOST ALWAYS put men AFTER woman, so in Europe night session men's matches do not start before 2-3am. That's rediculous. If men and women are paid the same in slams, surely the night session order should be 50-50, which it certainly is not. What are they afraid of? That most people would walk away after mens matches? Probably true, but that's not excuse.

Topspindoctor
09-09-2010, 09:48 AM
They shouldn't put women on AA stadium at all...

swann
09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
But this is very good for the americans, isn't it? Women matches are warm-ups for the real ones.

zcess81
09-09-2010, 10:12 AM
It's just so annoying. I missed so many night sessions because of that. If men were to start 1st I could at least watch half the match...Oh, well.

zcess81
09-09-2010, 10:13 AM
But this is very good for the americans, isn't it? Women matches are warm-ups for the real ones.

But it shouldn't be treated like that. Woman are paid as much as men, so the order of play should be 50-50 for night sessions.

jaana
09-09-2010, 10:22 AM
never mind that... the first match of today's night session is... exhibition doubles!!

zcess81
09-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Sorry about Mistake in the thread title, I meant BEFORE not after.

bokehlicious
09-09-2010, 10:25 AM
That most people would walk away after mens matches?

This is the reason. You could see at RG stadiums being empty when they put women last on there...

zcess81
09-09-2010, 10:27 AM
never mind that... the first match of today's night session is... exhibition doubles!!

That is not as bad because as women being almost ALWAYS 1st. Doubles are clearly not as popular (nor paid as much) as singles so I kind of understand putting them on 1st, but women's tennis is meant to be as popular as men's tennis (according to their paycheck) so it's unfair that they are almost always put on 1st.

MacTheKnife
09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
They have started mixing them up. Men started first two times this week. The night sessions are awesome !!

zcess81
09-09-2010, 11:03 AM
They have started mixing them up. Men started first two times this week. The night sessions are awesome !!

Yes they would be awesome if you didn't have to buy a separate ticket for it!

But if you're watching from home night sessions are awesome when they put women after men (which is almost never). When organizers put women 1st it is almost impossible for anyone in Europe (who works in the morning) to watch night sessions. I only get to watch them on Fri/Sat.

jcreback
09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
And the 80% of the Aussie Open runs while Americans are asleep. That's how it goes. Sometimes you miss tennis. Sorry.

bokehlicious
09-09-2010, 11:23 AM
When organizers put women 1st it is almost impossible for anyone in Europe (who works in the morning) to watch night sessions. I only get to watch them on Fri/Sat.

Why would the USO organizers care about European viewers? Do RG and Wimbledon arrange their schedule for the American audience? I don't think so.

Hewitt =Legend
09-09-2010, 11:33 AM
It's soo bloody annoying. It's bad enought that at USO they have night sessions to begin with (trying to squeeze EVERY CENT possible of course) but to make matters even worse USO organizers ALMOST ALWAYS put men AFTER woman, so in Europe night session men's matches do not start before 2-3am. That's rediculous. If men and women are paid the same in slams, surely the night session order should be 50-50, which it certainly is not. What are they afraid of? That most people would walk away after mens matches? Probably true, but that's not excuse.

Mate tough it out and pull all nighters, they can't please everyone in the world can they. You get to see Wimbledon and RG at your leisure so don't complain. I'm in Australia so I have to pull all nighters if I want to watch the days play at the 3 other slams. Granted the US night sessions kick off at 9am our time so thats reasonable :)

MacTheKnife
09-09-2010, 11:38 AM

But if you're watching from home night sessions are awesome when they put women after men (which is almost never). When organizers put women 1st it is almost impossible for anyone in Europe (who works in the morning) to watch night sessions. I only get to watch them on Fri/Sat.

Well guess what, we have to deal with that with every slam except this one. You guys have two on your time zone. This time of year is about the only time tournaments are on our time zone.. Deal with it.. :lol:
That's what we have to do..

Forehander
09-09-2010, 12:01 PM
lol would you leave the dinner table once you've finished your entree? Of course not. There's still the main to come. So stay put.

star
09-09-2010, 12:16 PM

:confused:

Why should it be scheduled to suit a European viewer? :confused: I don't understand why that's your particular complaint. I have other issues with the men being scheduled after the women. But, in my experience at night matches, if the women or doubles come on second, the crowd leaves. They'll stick around in greater numbers for the men's singles, and of course, that means more money for the tournament.

star
09-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Well guess what, we have to deal with that with every slam except this one. You guys have two on your time zone. This time of year is about the only time tournaments are on our time zone.. Deal with it.. :lol:
That's what we have to do..

:yeah:

zcess81
09-09-2010, 12:23 PM
:confused:

Why should it be scheduled to suit a European viewer? :confused: I don't understand why that's your particular complaint. I have other issues with the men being scheduled after the women. But, in my experience at night matches, if the women or doubles come on second, the crowd leaves. They'll stick around in greater numbers for the men's singles, and of course, that means more money for the tournament.

My MAIN complaint is with organizers putting WOMEN BEFORE MEN almost always. I know they can't change timezones and all...fine, I'm upset that I can't stay up and watch the matches but that's not USO fault...but my original question still remains: why do almost always women play before men? They get paid the same, so why not schedule matches 50-50? If woman's tennis is as popular as men's (as their paycheck would suggest) why not schedule them afterwards?

I'm not suggesting that they change night session time slots to suit European viewer, just 50-50 rotation between men and women order of play...as it should be.

Quadruple Tree
09-09-2010, 12:42 PM
The organizers put men on last because the only reason most people come to see the women play is to get good seats for the men's match that will follow. They don't want the WTA to look bad when the women are playing in front of a half full stadium because most people went home after the men's match.

tennizen
09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I think they are mixing it up decently this USO. I love the night sessions at USO.

aussie_fan
09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
It sound slike your having a whinge because you have stay up past your bed time. Suck it up, you think you ahve it bad, try being an Australian tennis fan, not only do we have to put up with our terrible players but terrible timezone most of the year to watch tennis.

Hewitt =Legend
09-09-2010, 12:54 PM
It sound slike your having a whinge because you have stay up past your bed time. Suck it up, you think you ahve it bad, try being an Australian tennis fan, not only do we have to put up with our terrible players but terrible timezone most of the year to watch tennis.

Exactly. I couldn't count how many times I've stayed up all night to watch tennis this year alone. You don't know how good you've got it.

tennizen
09-09-2010, 12:57 PM
My MAIN complaint is with organizers putting WOMEN BEFORE MEN almost always. I know they can't change timezones and all...fine, I'm upset that I can't stay up and watch the matches but that's not USO fault...but my original question still remains: why do almost always women play before men? They get paid the same, so why not schedule matches 50-50? If woman's tennis is as popular as men's (as their paycheck would suggest) why not schedule them afterwards?

I'm not suggesting that they change night session time slots to suit European viewer, just 50-50 rotation between men and women order of play...as it should be.

Did you watch the USO at all this year? In that case, you would have noticed they are doing the rotation this year.

FormerRafaFan
09-09-2010, 01:03 PM

+1. We all know that the WTA sucks. Most people just watch because of the hot chicks. Most people would probably leave after the men finish playing.

Still, I really don't get why they would have night matches at all. Like you said.. It's not very nice to Europeans when the match starts around 3 am :(

Aaric
09-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Stupid thread.

bokehlicious
09-09-2010, 01:16 PM
It's not very nice to Europeans when the match starts around 3 am :(

Again, why would USO/ESPN care about the Europeans? :confused:

Orysbestos
09-09-2010, 01:51 PM
They's been alternating the whole tournament. Where have you been?

zcess81
09-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Did you watch the USO at all this year? In that case, you would have noticed they are doing the rotation this year.

Go to uso website and check order of play for Ashe stadium since the beginning of tournament. In 10 days played women were on after men only 3 times. I hardly call that rotation. Rotation is one night men play 1st, next night women and so on 50%-50%...not 70%-30%. It's not that a difficult concept to implement.

LoveFifteen
09-09-2010, 02:05 PM
The US Open should definitely cancel all night sessions immediately, even if they are the most popular and electrifying aspect of the American Slam. The concerns of European TV viewers are paramount! :unsure:

The world is so unfair because viewers in North & South America never, ever have to deal with Grand Slam tennis being played during normal sleeping hours. :sad::sad::sad:

Silvester
09-09-2010, 02:08 PM
And the 80% of the Aussie Open runs while Americans are asleep. That's how it goes. Sometimes you miss tennis. Sorry.

THIS.

The USO is the only Slam relativly close to North American time-zone. All other GS I rarely get to see any live matches except on weekends.

zcess81
09-09-2010, 02:10 PM
The US Open should definitely cancel all night sessions immediately, even if they are the most popular and electrifying aspect of the American Slam. The concerns of European TV viewers are paramount! :unsure:

The world is so unfair because viewers in North & South America never, ever have to deal with Grand Slam tennis being played during normal sleeping hours. :sad::sad::sad:

This isn't about that. Forget about the whole European/timezone thing for a moment. Do you really think that it's fair that men have to play last? I'm sure men would like to start first and finish earlier. Who wants to finish a match at 2am...and that has happened before.

straitup
09-09-2010, 02:15 PM
This isn't about that. Forget about the whole European/timezone thing for a moment. Do you really think that it's fair that men have to play last? I'm sure men would like to start first and finish earlier. Who wants to finish a match at 2am...and that has happened before.

Because women don't feel the same way :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm selfish but personally I like having men's matches second because if it goes 4 or 5 sets, it's usually really exciting with the later-night crowd.

LoveFifteen
09-09-2010, 02:20 PM

They are starting to rotate them now because the women's field is getting deeper. It used to be that Chris Evert or Martina Navratilova would make quick work of the other woman in the early rounds. The matches would barely last an hour. Nowadays, early-round women's matches can last three hours. Thank God they've rotated a bit, even if not equally 50-50%.

I agree that I was annoyed last night when I had to sit through Carolina Pushniacki's horrific match, and by the time Roger's match started, I was already very tired. But what should they do? Always put the men on first?

I think you lost us all when you said night sessions suck because that's so obviously the BEST part of the US Open. Should the best tennis be on while most Americans are at work? :unsure:

zcess81
09-09-2010, 02:31 PM
They are starting to rotate them now because the women's field is getting deeper. It used to be that Chris Evert or Martina Navratilova would make quick work of the other woman in the early rounds. The matches would barely last an hour. Nowadays, early-round women's matches can last three hours. Thank God they've rotated a bit, even if not equally 50-50%.

I agree that I was annoyed last night when I had to sit through Carolina Pushniacki's horrific match, and by the time Roger's match started, I was already very tired. But what should they do? Always put the men on first?
I think you lost us all when you said night sessions suck because that's so obviously the BEST part of the US Open. Should the best tennis be on while most Americans are at work? :unsure:

I never said that night sessions suck. I love night sessions (when I can watch them that is)...In fact, I love night sessions more than day sessions (that's why I get annoyed when I can't watch them). All I'm saying is that men and women should rotate 50-50 as far as night session order of play goes. Ok, yes, in doing that I'd be able to see more night session matches but also I thinks it really is FAIR thing to do. Nobody wants to finifh playing at 2-3am...that goes for men and women. What is why they should rotate them 50-50.