Is Soderling a true contender? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Soderling a true contender?

FlameOn
09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Or someone that will just make a good run now and then like Murray or Nalbandian?

I'd like to think he is but now I'm not too certain.

borracho
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
5 QFs out of his last 7 slams, has beaten both Federer as Nadal. How much contender can you be?

latso
09-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Imo Soder has the best chancs to be the next first and only slam wonder

After Del Potro and Djokovic, he should be the one.

Murray - sorry but naganabe soon

samanosuke
09-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Guy has lost a match against Goat and the same moment threads like this :confused:

henke007
09-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Robin is the only one that has beaten Nadal and Fed at GS level except from Delpo and made 2 finals out of it!! He will beat them both at some GS down the line. He can play well on all surfaces so his chances are good!!

Guy has lost a match against Goat and the same moment threads like this

I agree , really a retarded thread considering he played Jesus Fed + the wind and still made it a point here and there!!

samanosuke
09-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I agree , really a retarded thread considering he played Jesus Fed + the wind and still made it a point here and there!!

I wouldn't say a Jesus but surely the best Fed since AO

born_on_clay
09-09-2010, 10:59 AM
He finally is
today Roger was just too good

oranges
09-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Soda was never going to win in that wind. In fact, he played pretty good in those condtions given how much wind bothers him normally. He's most definetly a contender in the sense of being a major threat to anyone in the draw. If you're limiting it to necessarily winning a slam, it might happen, it might not. It's a risky game, a few things would need to come togehter for him.

cutesteve22
09-09-2010, 11:22 AM
truely hope he can win RG in 201x

MacTheKnife
09-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Can't take to much from last night's match. To much wind and to much fed.

Orka_n
09-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Can't take to much from last night's match. To much wind and to much fed.Yep.

Although his lack of variety gets him in trouble sometimes (i.e. last night), he's reached successive RG finals. It's clear that he has a shot of winning a slam. He's not the most talented player in his generation, but he deserves his spot in the top 5. If now only he would stop ending up in Fed's quarter so often at the slams...

tennizen
09-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Not everyone can be as great as Fed and Nadal. I think Soderling really really picked himself up and established himself at the top.

Sapeod
09-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Or someone that will just make a good run now and then like Murray or Nalbandian?

I'd like to think he is but now I'm not too certain.
How can you group Murray with Nalbandian?

Murray >>> Nalbandian in results BY FAR.

Anyway, Soderling IS a contender.

bjurra
09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Söderling is not a contender for the no 1 spot. To win a Slam? Sure.

dodo
09-09-2010, 06:38 PM
5 QFs out of his last 7 slams, has beaten both Federer as Nadal. How much contender can you be?

Worth mentioning, that he only lost those QFs because he keeps landing in Feds quarter in slams. Bit of a career-destroyer, that.

Jomp1
09-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Outside of Fedal, Robin is one of the 3-4 with real contender potential. Losing in quarters to Fedal is nothing to discuss about, could aswell have been finals really. He would've made the semis for sure if he didn't screw up his chances of that #4 seed and this without playing his top level. Speaks about how solid he's become as far as Slams go.

gbmkc
09-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Soderling can't be a true contender until he wins a major. Until then he'S just an also-ran, a wannabe, and a potential coulda-been.

Orka_n
09-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Soderling can't be a true contender until he wins a major. Until then he'S just an also-ran, a wannabe, and a potential coulda-been.So your definition of "contender" is "slam winner"? Doesn't make sense. :shrug: Robin is already contending for the slams, and isn't that kind of what the OP meant? He's like Murray. Neither of them needs to win a slam before becoming a threat, they're already dangerous enough.

SetSampras
09-09-2010, 08:57 PM
No.. Like Murray he has proven he can't handle the big stage despite many opportunities. But thats fine.. Most are like that. Not everyone is going to be a champion many times over. For every great there are a bazillion good. But if he is really going to contend it will be on grass and clay not hardcourts

The Magician
09-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Soderling needs a good draw and ever since his FO2009 final he's gotten horrible draws. Eventually he'll have his chance and probably win 1 or 2 slams in his career.

laurie-1
09-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Soderling is a contender - but that's the thing, he's a contender who's unlikely to turn it into something tangible - such as holding a major trophy in his hands.

As I've pointed out before, these issues prevent Robin goiong all the way so far:

- His movement is not good enough on grass or hard courts. he's athletic and strong but not quick around the court.

- I noticed in the French Open final, he doesn't like to bend his knees to combat sliced shots, same thing happened at Wimbledon. he's also not good at getting low for volleys at net

- I noticed against Montanes that when he stretched his opponent or had a short ball to attack, he often retreated back to the base line instead of going forward and been committed. When I saw that confusion in his gampelan I didn't expect him to beat Federer.

Thats why Soderling has done well on clay, the high balls go into his hitting zone because he's so tall and he can tee off because of the slower surface and hit very hard and they will go in. But on grass and hard courts you need something extra, which is better movement and athleticism and a better transition game.

Filo V.
09-09-2010, 11:14 PM
I still personally believe he falls under the dangerous category, and not the contender category.

djb84xi
09-10-2010, 12:02 AM
At this point, I would say no. I love the progress he's made with his game, but to me, it's not enough to prove himself worthy of being a top contender. I'd like to see him make some improvements on his footwork, because it looks rather sloppy right now. Not only that, but he needs to play aggressively without trying to hit the cover off the ball. That's why he makes so many errors, trying to over-hit the ball so much. And like another user said, he (like Murray) doesn't handle the big occasions well either, so that plays a factor too.

Sod is dangerous, but I think he's got a few ways to go before proving himself to be a top contender, regardless of what his ranking says.

SetSampras
09-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Sadly.. Hes already 26.. Its not as though hes 19 with many years to improve. Good player.. Just too many holes in his game to be exploited

tyruk14
09-10-2010, 12:43 AM
If he hangs around until he's 29-30 and maintains this level of play somewhat, he might win Roland Garros.

Roddickominator
09-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Only on clay. Pretender everywhere else.