USO QF: Federer def. Soderling 6-4 6-4 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO QF: Federer def. Soderling 6-4 6-4 7-5

Luinir
09-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Get a serve Robin.

azinna
09-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Soderling needs to hit hard and close to the lines -- serve and groundies -- to trouble Federer. The wind didn't let that be a successful strategy. Federer had far many more options and used them effectively.

SheepleBuster
09-09-2010, 04:28 AM
Great win Roger. Still a bit frustrating the way he gave up that break in the third but bounced back because of Soderling's stupid plays. Let's hope we don't see a Rafa Fed final. At least I don't want to see it :) Come on Youzhny :)

Topspindoctor
Disgraceful choking at 5-3 in third. Federer all serve and all luck. Hope Nole sorts him out in SF :(

viruzzz
Oh shut up...
Federer played super-great.

habibko
best Fed played since AO, as close to JesusFed as it gets these days, especially the serving.

Djokovic is one afraid young man.

william_renshaw
Don't be fooled by Frauderer. He played this well against Djokovic last year, then sucked against Del Potro in the final.

TheBoiledEgg
09-09-2010, 04:29 AM
outclassed the Toad in every way :banana:

Calidreth
Federer was incredible, 17th slam on the way.

Jagermeister
Not on this surface and not on this weather.

Disgraceful choking at 5-3 in third. Federer all serve and all luck. Hope Nole sorts him out in SF
Soderling had a glimmer of hope in the third but I think the only thing that would have changed if he had kept it together would be Federer winning in 4 instead of 3.

jonas
Bad match. Wind played a part, of course.
Robin without serve doesn't stand a chance against Fed.
Some clutch play from Rogie.

Orka_n
Horrific serving by Soderling and this is the result. He even had 5*-3 30-15 in the third set and then choked it away. :sad:

BigJohn
In these conditions, pretty damn good.

jcreback
To play this well in the wind, especially his 2nd set serving is just sick. Great performance.

Sagacious
Great win for Fed :worship: Slap on the face for the haters :devil:

Voo de Mar
09-09-2010, 04:30 AM
Q: Guys, your opinion about Soderling's overhead at triple game point for him at 2:2 in the second set?

A: ...

http://i36.tinypic.com/2r5z12o.gif

dombrfc
Oh shut up topspindoctor, biggest tool on here.

Fed played great, Soderling poor. Simple.

Hence straight sets.

Chiseller
Incredible serve in these conditions, everything else was lacking, though, the wind is windy!

ShotmaKer
easier than expected for Fed.

Jomp1
I don't think this loss stings too much for Robin as he was never in it. He knows his serve doesn't work at the moment and it's a key to his game to be successful. Form is on the rise to end the season anyways and I expect him to do damage in London later on.

Voo de Mar
Horrific serving by Soderling and this is the result. He even had 5*-3 30-15 in the third set and then choked it away. :sad:

Classic of their H2H :o

Johnny Groove
Robin couldn't handle the wind, Soderling's movement was pretty bad.

That said, Federer was incredible. Shades of 2006 at times, and making Sampras jealous with some of that serving.

FedExpress#1
Pretty good match.

Soderling played well in spells but Federer was far better in the big points and his serve was fantastic all match.

Federer-Djokovic should be great.

bleu_cheese
Fed's on a mission to break the semifinal streak again.

djb84xi
09-09-2010, 04:31 AM
I don't care for Sod too much, but I was expecting better of him tonight. His game was completely absent from this match and he knows he could've played far better than this.

BigJohn
Q: Guys, your opinion about Soderling's overhead at triple game point for him at 2:2 in the second set?

A: ...

That one might hunt him for a while...

SheepleBuster
What was up with Soderling, offering the umpire a hand and then pull it back as soon as the guy tried to shake his hand?

KoOlMaNsEaN
09-09-2010, 04:32 AM
So happy! Roger stepping up in a big match for him after losing to Robin in Paris is really nice to see again.

2 Matches Left to the Title!

Orka_n
Q: Guys, your opinion about Soderling's overhead at triple game point for him at 2:2 in the second set?To be fair, the wind screwed that up. The ball didn't bounce as it should. Robin should have seen that however, and adapted. He didn't and we got a catastrophic result.

zeluvaa
Mugtastic performance from the second set onwards.

If Roger has to win against sodaling, he HAS to get his first serve back!!! otherwise he will be in trouble.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=10331071#post10331071

Said it first! He got his first serve back and he demolished soderling.
If he plays like this, nole and rafa will not be able to stop him!

straitup
09-09-2010, 04:33 AM
Soderling and wind don't seem to mix too well, plus Federer was getting everything back and playing very well. Soderling really has to be spot on to challenge Federer on the hard courts, which the wind prevented.

Federer-Djokovic again...let's hope it's a good one this time

samanosuke
one of dearest missed predictions . And Robin shut you dirty mouth when you are talking to the Great Man

bluefork
Pretty good from Roger, especially considering the conditions. Soderling didn't handle the wind, the early bad call, or Federer's good play well.

philosophicalarf
09-09-2010, 04:34 AM
Sod had no chance in that wind - was the same last year first two sets and got destroyed there. Federer served beautifully in the wind though.

On another note: if it's windy in the final, Nadal wins the title.

Orka_n
Overall, Robin's serve was gone, but Federer played very well in the conditions and mostly served like a beast. The better player today won, although the match was tighter than the scoreline. I'm gonna sleep now. The time is 05:30 here.

SheepleBuster
The only reason Sod beat Fed on clay was his time. His time was taken away tonight and he just was clueless. Rog played OK. Needs much better performance to spank the two other big dudes

MalwareDie
09-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Congrats to Roger. Soderling messed a chance to win a GS. It's supposed to rain during the final, which would be suitable for his huge hitting.

Ten_Isse_Fan
What was up with Soderling, offering the umpire a hand and then pull it back as soon as the guy tried to shake his hand?
Something happened with the umpire early on in the match. I've heard the commentators refer to it during the match, but I didn't see the incident... Can anyone fill us in ?

william_renshaw
Said it first! He got his first serve back and he demolished soderling.
If he plays like this, nole and rafa will not be able to stop him!

Don;t be silly, Rafa is favorite to stop Fed on any surface in any conditions. Soderling (though not on today;s form) would have been a tougher match for rafa on a fast hard court than fed.

Quakes
09-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Soderling needs to hit hard and close to the lines -- serve and groundies -- to trouble Federer. The wind didn't let that be a successful strategy. Federer had far many more options and used them effectively.

I'm afraid that Federer will take Soderling's place in this argument if he plays Nadal in the final. Seems to me that the wind favors a more controlled and less aggressive style (watched Wozniacki's game before this one).

Voo de Mar
To be fair, the wind screwed that up. The ball didn't bounce as it should. Robin should have seen that however, and adapted.

He didn't adapt because he's technically limited. He works on better execution of the things he can do the best: solid ground-strokes. Unfortunately I don't see special improvement in his tennis in the last two years. Better results came because he keeps concentration longer and deals better with disadvantageous situations on the court. Beside that he's still the same wooden Robin :o

careergrandslam
djokovic is going to get crushed AGAIN!

nole must be hiding seeing that performance from federer.

ShotmaKer
09-09-2010, 04:37 AM
one of dearest missed predictions . And Robin shut you dirty mouth when you are talking to the Great Man

how can he shut is mouth and talk at the same time ?

sabina_RF_lee
09-09-2010, 04:38 AM
YES!!!!!!!!! :rocker2::rocker2::rocker2:
:worship::worship:Very well done Roger :worship::worship:
Good serve, many aces I ques 18, good points at the net, and some FANTASTIC shots...
Finally Fedexx took a revenge of that RG loss by winning in straights :worship:
Now, haters shudup
The G.O.A.T killed that rude boy

onewoman74
09-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Don't be fooled by Frauderer. He played this well against Djokovic last year, then sucked against Del Potro in the final.

That's true! Take nothing for granted. You don't know which Fed will show up. Can he serve like this in the final?

LaFuria
Don;t be silly, Rafa is favorite to stop Fed on any surface in any conditions. Soderling (though not on today;s form) would have been a tougher match for rafa on a fast hard court than fed.

:rolleyes:

As much as Federer is afraid of Nadal to an embarassing extent, Roger is still the better hardcourt player by a significant margin. This isn't clay, he has no excuses in his best open.

Topspindoctor
djokovic is going to get crushed AGAIN!

nole must be hiding seeing that performance from federer.

Djokovic is a better returner, has way better defense and doesn't play as high risk as Soderling. Hope it's a repeat of AO 2008.

gulzhan
Boring match, pathetic Soderling.

Jomp1
09-09-2010, 04:40 AM
He didn't adapt because he's technically limited. He works on better execution of the things he can do the best: solid ground-strokes. Unfortunately I don't see special improvement in his tennis in the last two years. Better results came because he keeps concentration longer and deals better with disadvantageous situations on the court. Beside that he's still the same wooden Robin :o

Robin will always be a limited player, lucky for him 80% of the game is played out of ground-strokes. Taking him quite far to say the least anyways. But it's when he serves bad his limited style really shows meaning he can't dictate points the way he wants to.

zeluvaa
09-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Djokovic is a better returner, has way better defense and doesn't play as high risk as Soderling. Hope it's a repeat of AO 2008.

It's gonna be a repeat of last years semifinal here at US open ;)

Quakes
09-09-2010, 04:42 AM
Soderling had a glimmer of hope in the third but I think the only thing that would have changed if he had kept it together would be Federer winning in 4 instead of 3.

Indeed. That's exactly what I thought when he had that glimmer of hope, sadly.

Clay Death
09-09-2010, 04:42 AM
sod is just not that good folks.

this was no contest at all. and it was not the wind. lets not blame it on the wind.

he netted too many easy balls and he could not capitalize on his opportunities. that happens for 2 reasons:

1. you are just not that good
2. you cannot really handle pressure

**so he rates quite low on the clay death testicular fortitude scale.

careergrandslam
09-09-2010, 04:43 AM

sorry but nole has no chance to beat this federer.

nole has no weapons to beat federer, he has to rely on federer choking like AO 2008.

Silvester
09-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Great win for Fed. Still hasn't dropped a set :)

theseth1119

Actually, it's going to be a repeat of the last two year's SFs at the USO.

EnriqueIG8
Something happened with the umpire early on in the match. I've heard the commentators refer to it during the match, but I didn't see the incident... Can anyone fill us in ?

In the second game of the 1st set Robin had break point when Federer hit a shot on the outside of the baseline, was called out Fed challenged it and Hawk Eye showed it clipped the line. But because the call was made after Soderling hit the return, Roger got the point immediately and the score was deuce again. Robin thereafter argued with Pascal Maria and then asked Federer: 'Do you really want to win points like this' ?

I think it was because of that incident Robin was acting like a prick after the match.

Arkulari
09-09-2010, 04:45 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/no5vzs.jpg

Roger served awesomely with the mini hurricane going in AA :lol:
Also, he was nearly flawless in BP, only missed one but ended up breaking anyway

Sophocles
Decent performance in the conditions and outstanding serving. Fed's got a good revenge groove going this season: Soderling, Fish, Baghdatis, Djokovic, Berdych had all won their last matches against him. As of course, did Nadal.

theseth1119

nole has no weapons to beat federer, he has to rely on federer choking like AO 2008.

It wasn't a choke at the 2008 AO, Rogie had just had mono, otherwise, Rogie would've won that match.

alter ego
Great serving from Roger. The FH didn't work too well but oh well the wind was very strong. Loved the way Roger used the front wind to hit some great drop shots. And what's wrong with his bp convertion, he got 5 out of 6. Won evrey game he had break point chance ? :lol:

Topspindoctor
09-09-2010, 04:47 AM

Nole has no weapons? :spit:

And that wasn't a choke in 2008. Djoker beat him fair :nerner:

sabina_RF_lee
09-09-2010, 04:47 AM

:worship:

Calidreth
09-09-2010, 04:48 AM
Nole has no weapons? :spit:

And that wasn't a choke in 2008. Djoker beat him fair :nerner:

Mono

DorianGray7
09-09-2010, 04:49 AM
What happened to Brad Gilbert who thought Soderling was going to win tonight?

He should be flogged and then thrown out.

theseth1119
Mono

Exactly, mono, not a choke, I'd like to see some of you get mono and then see how well you perform on the tennis courts. Making the SF with mono was quite impressive.

Guga_fan
I can't understand some people thinking Federer played great, he seemed awful to me, and counted with Soderling's poor play and his serve only. I guess it had a lot to do with the wind, but so far Federer hasn't impressed me this USO.

theseth1119
09-09-2010, 04:51 AM
What happened to Brad Gilbert who thought Soderling was going to win tonight?

He should be flogged and then thrown out.

Actually, let BG keep making these predictions...

Murray's going to win the USO... Epic Fail

Sodie's going to win the QF over Rogie... Another fail

Chokovic will win the SF, Rafa will win the F, the guy's actually doing a great job!

gbmkc
09-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Well! That was rude, wasn't it?

And quick. Robin looked like every guy Federer has kicked out of a major since he started winning them. He was ordinary. Too bad. I thought he could make that interesting.

Federer was on top of his game for most of this, and I think Robin is the reason why. he didn't want to get shocked again.

Jagermeister
09-09-2010, 04:52 AM
I can't understand some people thinking Federer played great, he seemed awful to me, and counted with Soderling's poor play and his serve only. I guess it had a lot to do with the wind, but so far Federer hasn't impressed me this USO.

I thought Federer served great and yea I think in these conditions he played a great tactical match, but I wouldn't call this performance brilliant by any stretch. I think he IS playing well enough to beat Djokovic, though.

theseth1119
09-09-2010, 04:53 AM

When you make the SF of a GS without dropping a set, you haven't been unimpressive, it's not that easy to win 5 straight 5 set matches without dropping a set. If it was that easy, a lot of guys would be doing it.

sabina_RF_lee
In the second game of the 1st set Robin had break point when Federer hit a shot on the outside of the baseline, was called out Fed challenged it and Hawk Eye showed it clipped the line. But because the call was made after Soderling hit the return, Roger got the point immediately and the score was deuce again. Robin thereafter argued with Pascal Maria and then asked Federer: 'Do you really want to win points like this' ?

I think it was because of that incident Robin was acting like a prick after the match.

:eek: he said that? omg I didnt hear that...well just showed that he is a pig
He is not in that level to speak to Roger, he is shit, and Roger is the G.O.A.T:worship:

xelena
To me, tonight Roggie just showed how he's Zen and he knows the art of the motorcycle maintenance

Mechlan
09-09-2010, 04:54 AM
Good serving and BP conversion for Roger. He'll need both if he plays Nadal in the F.

careergrandslam
09-09-2010, 04:55 AM
did soderling shake the umpires hand?

theseth1119
09-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Rogie and Rafa have played some great GS Fs. Although Rogie lost the 2008 Wimby F and the 2009 AO F to Rafa, both went over 4 hours and 5 sets, they were thrillers, especially W 2008. The 2006 and 2007 Wimby Fs were great too, 4 and 5 hard fought sets. The 2006 and 2007 FO Fs were okay at 4 sets each, but the 2008 FO F was totally lackluster.

Priam
09-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Terrible from Robin. Should've taken set 3 really. No plan B.

Good luck to Roger next round.

Hingisova
09-09-2010, 04:57 AM
Well the tennis gods and the wind gods were all on Fed's side tonight but his play was absolutely brilliant under such windy conditions.:worship:.just another magical moment from the "Great One" however in saying that I must edit my own post as in the stands watching Fed play was hockey's "Great One" Wayne Gretzy:worship:...enjoying some tennis and I'm sure marvelling at Roger's touch and skills:cool:...Great's all over the place!:worship::worship:

Hingisova:wavey:

ShotmaKer
09-09-2010, 04:57 AM
Actually, let BG keep making these predictions...

Murray's going to win the USO... Epic Fail

Sodie's going to win the QF over Rogie... Another fail

Chokovic will win the SF, Rafa will win the F, the guy's actually doing a great job!

From his twitter :

message boards lighting up claiming I'm a Fed-h8ter - Couldn't be further from the truth. Love how these things just escalate out of control

Brad Gilbert is reading MTF :lol:

EnriqueIG8
09-09-2010, 04:59 AM
:eek: he said that? omg I didnt hear that...well just showed that he is a pig
He is not in that level to speak to Roger, he is shit, and Roger is the G.O.A.T:worship:

Yeah, well Eurosport commentator said: "Now Soderling asks Roger if this is the way he wants to win points....there's no need for that"
She kinda was surprised too with Soderling saying stuff like that in just the second game of the match.

Voo de Mar
did soderling shake the umpires hand?

For me it looked like he hit the palm of the umpire :o It didn't look well, rather primitive gesture.

careergrandslam
From his twitter :

luke jensen picked soderling to win the TITLE, not only beat federer, but to win the title aswell.

anutam
09-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Roger was great today! :worship:

sabina_RF_lee
09-09-2010, 05:00 AM

pitty guy :o

theseth1119
09-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Yeah, well Eurosport commentator said: "Now Soderling asks Roger if this is the way he wants to win points....there's no need for that"
She kinda was surprised too with Soderling saying stuff like that in just the second game of the match.

Are the Eurosport commentators British? The British are usually prim and proper, which is great, so if I'm right, then it explains why they thought it was so classless, love it.

sabina_RF_lee
09-09-2010, 05:03 AM

Yep, Ive noticed that from the very beginnig he was rude and weird always shouting smth to himself, maybe bad things about Roger. Also always in the interviews when they ask him about Roger he gets frustraited and weird again, I gues he is a big Federer haiter:o

habibko
09-09-2010, 05:04 AM

For me it looked like he hit the palm of the umpire :o It didn't look well, rather primitive gesture.

Soderprick showing his class once again, this loss serves him just right :yeah: :devil:

I'm gonna enjoy his press conference.

swebright
09-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Roger was indeed struggling in the beginning. His first 3 games ended up at duece. Robin had more BP chances than Roger. Then suddenly, Roger got a break and a set.

Bad wind. Bad condition. Roger has more experience playing in the wind (especially that ?2006 match with Aggasi, ? 40 MPH wind at that time). I am just glad to see him playing well. Definitely different from FO and Wimby.
Good luck Roger.:worship::worship::worship:

kjo
09-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Strange predictions you guys are telling me about. Sod win the USO? He didn't do much in Cincy/Toronto and went 5 sets in round 1.
Honestly it was silly to predict him to win this match, he said in his interview before it he was playing OK but not that great. He lost a set to Montanes for goodness sake. He had a chance, but surely Fed was the favorite.

Well played Fed; kiss your twins tomorrow :)

tennis elbow
I, for one, was happy with the fast pace the match was played on... especially after that horrible ladies match, that seemed to have been played in slow motion :mad: ... those girls could not find a serve or good shot to save their lives, what a drag!

solowyn
Robin's amicable handshake:

9UerSU8bEIE

*facepalm*

SheepleBuster
09-09-2010, 05:20 AM

9UerSU8bEIE

*facepalm*

Robin is a strange man. No wonder Nadal hated him. Oh wait. He did what at Wimbledon against Nadal?

DuMa
09-09-2010, 05:21 AM

9UerSU8bEIE

*facepalm*

:lol: love the subtlety.

Deivid23
09-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Some hilarious stuff out there, Soderling getting broken from 40-0 and an easy smash to hold at love, probably the funniest highlight of the night

careergrandslam
09-09-2010, 05:23 AM
roger gave a nice wink to the umpire to say thanks for saving me in that 2nd game of the 1st set.

umpire said, for u roger, anything!

:lol:

it is so obvious!

MalwareDie
09-09-2010, 05:24 AM
He had reason to be angry at the umpire. It was nothing like Roddick's tirades.

Macbrother
09-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Rofl toad. I still like him though.

Roger looked very, very good today, particularly given the windy conditions. If he can maintain that serve and continue moving impeccably he's going to be very tough to beat. Joker, it seems, and hopefully, has recaptured that late '07 early '08 form, so very much looking forward to Saturday.

Mechlan
09-09-2010, 05:27 AM
Robin was really pissed off about that all match. Really actually a good effort by him to try and block it out and be positive. If the conditions were slightly better for him, maybe he could have turned it around.

dabeast
09-09-2010, 05:31 AM
hehe Robin just sorta slapped Pascal Maria's hand there... he was frustrated with his game all right and def the call in the 2nd game that went against him... wth happened to his serve all nite??

Rog :bigclap: BP conversion :yeah: His serve was on fire tonite! Unreal. and in the wind too. That was basically his only weapon cos his groundies, droppers, slice were not clicking at all. The most important thing: get his bloody fh back. He has no chance beating Djoker or Nadal without that shot.

Keep it going Rog :banana: at least he hasn't peaked yet in this tourney.

Manequin75
09-09-2010, 05:47 AM
watched the match in portions and fed looked awesome and as calm as ever. No matter what people say this guy never ceases to amaze. Even at 29 and after this long i think he still is the most dominant player. I mean look at his game - he doesnt even have to put in any effort it seems. Feel sorry for Djko - he will lose for the fourth year in running to Fed at the USO. Honestly dont think Djko has a chance against Fed.

Fed is on revenge trip all summer - he beat Berdych, Baghdatis and Soderling. And what better way to round it off by beating Rafa in the finals and doing to him what Rafa had done to him so many times at the French open. Poetic justice really.

If I had my way I would rather have Rafa win the USO as that creates history and then have Fed complete a calender slam next year :). But i think its going to be mission impossible beating fed at Arthur Ash this weekend.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-09-2010, 05:48 AM
i cannot believe this is the same guy who beat nadal on clay.

undefeated nadal, on clay- playing pure flat groundies.

nadal who had never even come close to losing before that day.

guichard
09-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Soderling presser is up. No discussionn about that first game at least not on the video http://www.usopen.org/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?promo=subnav&category=press

sabina_RF_lee
09-09-2010, 05:56 AM

9UerSU8bEIE

*facepalm*

what a shame :o

FormerRafaFan
09-09-2010, 06:00 AM
Didn't get to watch the match, but it looks like Soderling was owned by Federer. All credit to Federer here.. finishing Soda off in 3 is no easy task. He must have played very well here!

Good news for all Rafa fans. I think Rafa would struggle more with beating Soderling on a HC than beating Federer on a HC.

habibko
09-09-2010, 06:02 AM
RWOOi7X0UZo

Pirata.
09-09-2010, 06:02 AM
NghD4jWWMT8

What does Roger say that got bleeped out?!

FormerRafaFan
09-09-2010, 06:03 AM
i cannot believe this is the same guy who beat nadal on clay.

undefeated nadal, on clay- playing pure flat groundies.

nadal who had never even come close to losing before that day.

Ahem, I'm sorry to say, but Nadal really WAS injured. Remember he took like 6 months off after that happened? EXACTLY.

I'm not making excuses for him every time he loses. He lost in Cincy and Toronto fair and square without being injured, but he really was injured when Soderling defeated him. Like it or not.

barbadosan
09-09-2010, 06:05 AM
NghD4jWWMT8

What does Roger say that got bleeped out?!

I believe it was just a matter of one mic failing - not bleeped out material

Manequin75
09-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Didn't get to watch the match, but it looks like Soderling was owned by Federer. All credit to Federer here.. finishing Soda off in 3 is no easy task. He must have played very well here!

Good news for all Rafa fans. I think Rafa would struggle more with beating Soderling on a HC than beating Federer on a HC.

Respectfully disagree. Rafa himself will prefer to play Soda than fed in the finals. Nobody wants to play roger at Arthur Ash. Just because rafa won some slam finals in 08-09 doesnt mean its a sure thing. They havent played in a slam since Jan/Feb 2009. On this surface Roger is very dangerous for rafa as his variety will unsettle him I think and not get him into any rhythm. I was very optimistic about Rafa's chances to make history by winning here. But they have dipped quite a bit watching fed today. He aint losing anytime soon and he hasnt even peaked. :shrug:

nadal_slam_king
09-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Respectfully disagree. Rafa himself will prefer to play Soda than fed in the finals. Nobody wants to play roger at Arthur Ash. Just because rafa won some slam finals in 08-09 doesnt mean its a sure thing. They havent played in a slam since Jan/Feb 2009. On this surface Roger is very dangerous for rafa as his variety will unsettle him I think and not get him into any rhythm. I was very optimistic about Rafa's chances to make history by winning here. But they have dipped quite a bit watching fed today. He aint losing anytime soon and he hasnt even peaked. :shrug:

Del Potro didn't mind playing him lol, seriously I was praying for Federer to beat Soderling. Even at Wimbledon we saw how destructive Soderling could be when he double-breaked Nadal in the 1st set. He rarely is on fire for long enough to beat Nadal but nevertheless he really does dominate when on fire. Federer's purple patches whereas are only enough to stretch Nadal to a tie-breaker.

careergrandslam
09-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Del Potro didn't mind playing him lol, seriously I was praying for Federer to beat Soderling. Even at Wimbledon we saw how destructive Soderling could be when he double-breaked Nadal in the 1st set. He rarely is on fire for long enough to beat Nadal but nevertheless he really does dominate when on fire. Federer's purple patches whereas are only enough to stretch Nadal to a tie-breaker.

i dont think u get it.

federer on these USO courts are near unbeatable, remember last year he was serving for the 2nd set to go 2 sets to 0 up.

these courts suits feds game perfectly, it comes at the perfect pace, suits his slice, helps his serve, comes at the perfect strikezone for his backhand, etc.

its too fast for rafa, rafa really stuggled against lopez's slice and serve.
rafa usually brutalises slices but these courts keep the ball too low.

history means nothing on these courts with a confident federer on the other side of the net.

never been so scared for rafa like i am at this USO, i fear if rafa makes the final he might end up getting humiliated in a brutal loss.
i cannot see anyway that rafa's advantages will help him on these courts.

and fed is using that dropshot which caused rafa trouble in madrid last year and this year.

rafa has no experience in a USO final aswell.

this federer is in jesusfed mode and even if rafa goes into jesusrafa mode say, jesusfed > jesusrafa on USO fast hardcourts.

*Jean*
09-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Robin :sad:

careergrandslam
09-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Robin :sad:

dont worry, the slaughter was pretty quick.:hug:

Manequin75
09-09-2010, 06:56 AM

Rafa kept Fed from getting the career slam for 3-4 years consecutively at Roland Garros. This will be the first chance Fed will get to return the favor. You think fed lets Rafa get to the career slam at his very first shot against him? Not gonna be easy since Fed is already in a revenge mode thsi summer - he beat berdych, baghdatis and now Soderling. What better way to cap this all by beating Rafa in the finals, denying him, underlining his dominant status and shutting everybody up. Lot at stake for Roger too you know. Roger has too much variety in his game and Rafa might not be able to address those here the way he does it on clay. I will be rooting for Rafa as the claim to history is much greater for him here. But i think he will be a big underdog playing the 5 time champion.

HarryMan
09-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Excellent performance from Roger, especially his serving in those conditions. They were top notch. His forehand was working well as well. Soderling never managed to handle the condition well, he wasn't able to serve anywhere close to what he usually does.

Federer is looking good for the championship. He needs his serve working very well and all other aspects of his game doing well as well if Nadal gets to the final (which I think he will).

nadal_slam_king
09-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Rafa kept Fed from getting the career slam for 3-4 years consecutively at Roland Garros. This will be the first chance Fed will get to return the favor. You think fed lets Rafa get to the career slam at his very first shot against him? Not gonna be easy since Fed is already in a revenge mode thsi summer - he beat berdych, baghdatis and now Soderling. What better way to cap this all by beating Rafa in the finals, denying him, underlining his dominant status and shutting everybody up. Lot at stake for Roger too you know. Roger has too much variety in his game and Rafa might not be able to address those here the way he does it on clay. I will be rooting for Rafa as the claim to history is much greater for him here. But i think he will be a big underdog playing the 5 time champion.

Federer has no choice, he's not good enough to do anything about Nadal.

ossie
09-09-2010, 09:28 AM
fed is looking fantastic! the djokers got his work cut out for him, looking forward to that match

henke007
09-09-2010, 09:58 AM
The fact that the scoreline was way of slaughtering like some people wan't it to look like. It makes you wonder how the match would havde turned out could Sod have avoided the horrible conditions and actually been in a position to serve and hit winners.

FlameOn
09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Robin. :(

Duncan
09-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Robin couldn't find his serve and got dumped out in straights? Now that's a surprise! :)

Now i pray for the Roger v Rafa final.

Shirogane
09-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Such a good wind player, this Fed. :worship:

born_on_clay
09-09-2010, 11:07 AM
he seems unstoppable :eek:

cutesteve22
09-09-2010, 11:10 AM
great shots when faced big point. pls make the final Roger

Foxy
09-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Rafa, what are you going to do when Rogie comes for you? :scared:

kengyin
09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
fake a knee injury and keep the fans

TennisOnWood
09-09-2010, 11:19 AM

As usual :wavey:

bokehlicious
09-09-2010, 11:27 AM

This is a Fed-Soda thread, of course Nadulltards can't write two words without mentionning Rafa :rolleyes:

MacTheKnife
09-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Robin couldn't handle the wind, Soderling's movement was pretty bad.

That said, Federer was incredible. Shades of 2006 at times, and making Sampras jealous with some of that serving.

This. WInd was a bitch and toad's game is going to suck in the wind. Those long strokes and high toss are hard enough to time in still conditions.

That OH he missed was wind related, but mostly because his footwork sucked.

Commander Data
09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Awesome by Federer! When the GOAT shows up with his A-game he is unstoppable, there is simply no one that can play so well. Lets hope he can keep it up until Nr. 17.

emotion
09-09-2010, 12:35 PM
His serve :help:

Persimmon
09-09-2010, 01:06 PM

:sad: Slam #17 is looming. Poor Rafa.

he seems unstoppable :eek:

+1.

Career Slam not happening for Rafa.

:eek::unsure::scared:

Quadruple Tree
09-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I think people are only looking at the score line when they are saying this was vintage Federer and Nadal should be scared. His serve was on fire, and he did look good towards the end of the match, but for most of the match, his forehand had more shanks than a prison riot. Fortunately for him, the wind had an even greater effect on Soderling. The match overall was poor quality outside of Federer's serving.

tennizen
09-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Apart from serving well, RogiGOAT is running down everything really really well. Almost Nadalesque motivation while playing defense. I don't know how much role Annacone has but I can certainly see some changes in Roger's approach to matches.

Aaric
09-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Robin :hug:

BodyServe
09-09-2010, 02:43 PM

9UerSU8bEIE

*facepalm*

ROFL thats even better than not shaking hand at all.

I wonder how stupid that umpire felt like.

MacTheKnife
09-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Actually that's pretty funny..

Crazy Girl
09-09-2010, 02:53 PM
RWOOi7X0UZoDear Habib, maybe you've missed a fantastic shot....
Please, look out for it and post it, for me....for your beloved Crazy Girl....;););););)
At 0.59 of your YouTube.
2° set. 0-0 (0-15) oh this score there was an incredible "caress" of our Roger.
I would like to see it here.
To show to all these people who is Roger Federer.
Just only to see this shot isn't a problem to stay awake all night long!!!

Yes Habib, he can slap and caress the ball in a unique way.
If he shag, as he play tennis...lucky Mirka!!!

And he is the one, the only one who can govern and rule the wind in that foolish way. His superior mind has the perfect control on his fantastic body.
:worship::worship::worship:

borracho
09-09-2010, 02:54 PM

Even if this was their first encounter they borh would've been motivated 100%. So all the rivalry bullcrap doesn't play a role when it comes to a final, one cannot be motivated more than 100%, no?
Not sure if Fed will be the favourite over Nadal, but definately he won't be the dog.

careergrandslam
09-09-2010, 02:55 PM

soderling owned pascal maria there.
pwnage.

Everko
09-09-2010, 03:01 PM

Toad being classy again:rolleyes:

Quadruple Tree
09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Soderling would rather blame the umpire than look at his own crap serve and shit return game during the match. That's why he'll never win a Slam.

Everko
09-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Soderling would rather blame the umpire than look at his own crap serve and shit return game during the match. That's why he'll never win a Slam.

exactly. The umpire had nothing to do with it. Has the umpire on the court grabbing Soderling's racket eevery point?

propi
09-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Never in doubt.
Let's hope Nole can do the business :bounce:

Matt01
09-09-2010, 04:54 PM

9UerSU8bEIE

*facepalm*

Robin needs to grow up :o

And he also needs to stop losing to Federer. That was a poor match from him. :rolleyes:

Sapeod
09-09-2010, 04:57 PM
And he also needs to stop losing to Federer.
Easier said than done :rolleyes:

Sapeod
09-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Great match from Roger.
Robin played okay, but was never good enough to win.
Congrats Roger, 17th slam is in reach now :yeah:

careergrandslam
09-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Great match from Roger.
Robin played okay, but was never good enough to win.
Congrats Roger, 17th slam is in reach now :yeah:

federer has already won his 17th slam.
its just going through the formalities from here.

no one is beating him this tournament.

Safin_Lover
09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Fantastic serving Fed:woohoo: those two lobs from Fed were:tape::lol: And Growup Robin:rolleyes:

Allez
09-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I can't believe Rogi managed to beat Soderling in 2010 :eek:

Sapeod
09-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Very good.

peribsen
09-09-2010, 07:14 PM

:rolleyes:
:aplot:

CCBH
09-09-2010, 07:21 PM
It was pretty easy for Roger, because he had committed to playing nice, offensive deep balls and mixing the angles and heights of his shots. Then he would step in to rip winners. His serve was ridiculously good in the wind.

That said, Soderling was constantly just guiding the groundstrokes, afraid to overhit, and his serves were usually puffballs by his standards. Funnily, the slow serves were his most effective :lol:. Horrible game while serving for the 3rd set.

But just tactical brilliance from Roger. I am glad he did not decide to slug it out with Soderling.

Sillyrabbit
09-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Not a surprising result, I was shocked to hear Patrick McEnroe say that the wind would favor Soderling and harm Federer more, which was a very stupid analysis as Federer is the way smarter and more talented player of the two, isn't one dimensional like Soderling and has many facets to his game than the Swede can ever dream of which would mean adjusting would be easier for him.

danieln1
09-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Nice revenge from paris!!! Now win this whole thing...

Doggy
09-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Federer and the Wind def Nadal in finals

allpro
09-10-2010, 05:30 AM
incredible focus from fed. if he plays at this level, nole has no chance.

Ilovetheblues_86
09-10-2010, 05:35 AM
Two aces only from the King Toad, without his serve he cant beat Roger.

sabina_RF_lee
09-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Federer and the Wind def Nadal in finals

:worship:

Benget
09-10-2010, 10:00 PM
sod is just not that good folks.

this was no contest at all. and it was not the wind. lets not blame it on the wind.

he netted too many easy balls and he could not capitalize on his opportunities. that happens for 2 reasons:

1. you are just not that good
2. you cannot really handle pressure

**so he rates quite low on the clay death testicular fortitude scale.

or
3. You have a very high ball toss and it is very windy...

Benget
09-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Yep, Ive noticed that from the very beginnig he was rude and weird always shouting smth to himself, maybe bad things about Roger. Also always in the interviews when they ask him about Roger he gets frustraited and weird again, I gues he is a big Federer haiter:o

quite the opposite I guess you haven't heard many of his interviews :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
he always hails federer can't say enough good about him