Rafa says Wimbledon is for sure fastest court in the world. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa says Wimbledon is for sure fastest court in the world.

DuMa
09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
During first few games of the Monfils/Djokovic USO QF match, Rafa was in the ESPN booth with Brad Gilbert and Chris Fowler. Rafa was asked if he thinks USO is the fastest court in the world. And Rafa quickly said it was Wimbledon which is the fastest then quickly said USO is probably the 2nd fastest.

Who agrees? i dont agree here with Rafa. I'm pretty sure USO is the fastest surface on the Tour.

oranges
09-08-2010, 09:25 PM
How many of these threads are needed? Give it a rest.

romismak
09-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Rafa was joking or i really don´t get it why he said so. Everyone knows about Wimbledon grass- that they changed it and we can see during matches how slow it is. But US open isn´t the fastest surface- yes it is fastest GS tournament but they are some syntetic hard court which are faster -
http://www.itftennis.com/technical/equipment/courts/courtlist.asp
there is link to official page about classification of surfaces and thera are some indoor tournaments with faster surfaces - probably Marseille is faster and few others.

careergrandslam
09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
wimbledon is fastest.

rafa is right.

Johnny Groove
09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm sure MTF posters know more about court surface speed than the guy who is actually playing on it.

MalwareDie
09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
wimbledon is fastest.

rafa is right.

The more you post, the faster you'll be banned. :)

Quakes
09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I doubt if Rafael is joking. From my experience, close to 100% of what this guy ever says in public are objective truths.

Fed Express
09-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I doubt if Rafael is joking. From my experience, close to 100% of what this guy ever says in public are objective truths.:haha:

ShotmaKer
09-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Meh I swear I already red about that !

Fiberlight1
09-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm sure MTF posters know more about court surface speed than the guy who is actually playing on it.

+1

jcreback
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Johnny Mac has said in the past he felt the US Open was now faster, and he has certainly hit on both even now. And we all know from other threads that whatever JMac says is the absolute truth...

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-08-2010, 10:20 PM
"It could get into my mind. I could start thinking, 'I can't play against this guy, his game doesn't suit me'. I could start accepting the fact that I have been losing against him, but that would be a bad thing for me to do."]
-- Roger Federer on Rafael Nadal.

Lopez
09-08-2010, 10:20 PM

So we believe Rafa who says it's the fastest but not the other players saying it's slower :confused: ?

Mechlan
09-08-2010, 10:22 PM

Players have opinions too. Just because they play the game doesn't mean they can't be wrong.

FormerRafaFan
09-08-2010, 10:24 PM
The most important thing to take away from this is not the part Nadal said about the surfaces, it was the fact that he was on during the Nole match and I didn't get to see him... :(

tribalfusion
09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Players have opinions too. Just because they play the game doesn't mean they can't be wrong.

Players might disagree on this one and I have yet to see a survey of their opinions but posters on a forum with ZERO experience certainly have no chance of getting it right.

bluefork
09-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I'd like to hear what other players say about the court speeds. All the commentators seem to think the U.S. Open is the fastest, but Rafa is the only player I've heard compare the two.

Nole fan
09-08-2010, 10:41 PM

No, that's impossible. Players know better!

Sapeod
09-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Nadal is wrong.

careergrandslam
09-08-2010, 10:42 PM
I'd like to hear what other players say about the court speeds. All the commentators seem to think the U.S. Open is the fastest, but Rafa is the only player I've heard compare the two.

murray said he agreed with nadal that the wimbledon is faster than US open.
watch his interview on the USO website.

careergrandslam
09-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Nadal is wrong.

ur murray agrees with nadal.

Sophocles
09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Players might disagree on this one and I have yet to see a survey of their opinions but posters on a forum with ZERO experience certainly have no chance of getting it right.

I'd have thought their chances were 50/50.

tribalfusion
09-08-2010, 10:49 PM
I'd have thought their chances were 50/50.

See what I mean? You had no chance of getting it right. Thanks for a timely demonstration :)

tribalfusion
09-08-2010, 10:51 PM
http://www.live-tennis.com/category/Tennis-News/Andy-Murray-US-Open-conditions-make-it-harder-for-Rafael-Nadal-201009040007/

Murray said, ”It's quite clear the balls are a lot faster, a little bit harder to control the balls. Guys are serving harder. But I think the court itself I think grass is definitely still quicker than here. I just think because of the warm weather and obviously the balls being they seem very light in comparison to the Slazengers, which are pretty heavy.

superslam77
09-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Easy for Rafa to talk now when the tournament has been given to him.

tribalfusion
09-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Easy for Rafa to talk now when the tournament has been given to him.

So how do you explain Murray, genius?

superslam77
09-08-2010, 10:55 PM
So how do you explain Murray, genius?

You mean the mug that played like shit and lost to wawa who killed himself in 5 sets and the other half full of minions who also played 5 sets to later bow to their idol?

It's a gift.

tribalfusion
09-08-2010, 10:56 PM
You mean the mug that played like shit and lost to wawa who killed himself in 5 sets and the other half full of minions who also played 5 sets to later bow to their idol?

It's a gift.

No. His statement on the court speeds. He lost and maintains the same thing as Nadal.

Try curbing your drooling hatred long enough to read.

superslam77
09-08-2010, 11:02 PM
No. His statement on the court speeds. He lost and maintains the same thing as Nadal.

Try curbing your drooling hatred long enough to read.

Only an idiot would think grass is faster than fast HC. Try applying physics for a second.

tribalfusion
09-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Only an idiot would think grass is faster than fast HC.

No.

Only an arrogant schmuck who has never played on either court would dismiss Andy Murray and Nadal's opinions with total certainty.

LaFuria
09-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and Nadal picks his.

tribalfusion
09-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and Nadal picks his.

Needless to say your opinion on court speed is worth a lot less than that of Murray or Nadal.

And of course the fact that you make hate-filled comments about players you dislike makes your non-expert opinion still less relevant and objective than it would be otherwise (if that is even possible).

jcreback
09-08-2010, 11:13 PM
What about John McEnroe's opinion? He has said the USO is faster, and as someone who has played on the courts both in the past and present he certainly would be an expert on the matter. And I know for a fact you take a lot of stock in what the expert John McEnroe has to say about tennis.

Sophocles
09-08-2010, 11:14 PM
See what I mean? You had no chance of getting it right. Thanks for a timely demonstration :)

No I don't see what you mean. The U.S. Open or Wimbledon - I count 2 choices there.

For what it's worth, I think Wimbledon is very slightly faster, as demonstrated by serve statistics, but it takes top-spin (& slice) better. I doubt however it is the fastest court in the world. Queen's is clearly faster for a start.

tribalfusion
09-08-2010, 11:15 PM
What about John McEnroe's opinion? He has said the USO is faster, and as someone who has played on the courts both in the past and present he certainly would be an expert on the matter. And I know for a fact you take a lot of stock in what the expert John McEnroe has to say about tennis.

I do take his opinion seriously in fact. I myself certainly can't say which is faster. It may be the case that the relevant expert opinion on this is pretty mixed.

One would survey people who have the experience and get a consensus, not internet posters who have never set foot on either court.

tribalfusion
09-08-2010, 11:16 PM
No I don't see what you mean. The U.S. Open or Wimbledon - I count 2 choices there.

For what it's worth, I think Wimbledon is very slightly faster, as demonstrated by serve statistics, but it takes top-spin (& slice) better. I doubt however it is the fastest court in the world. Queen's is clearly faster for a start.

What I mean by having no chance of getting it right is analyzing the way the court plays.

Of course you have a 50/50 shot of getting it "right" in the sense of guessing which one plays faster but not in getting the analysis right without relevant experience.

Halba
09-08-2010, 11:24 PM
wimbledon is faster, but the bounce and natural court and ability to take topspin suit rafa more.

bounce, cement court less ability to take his spin dont suit rafa

nobama
09-08-2010, 11:31 PM
:zzz:

Sophocles
09-08-2010, 11:34 PM
What I mean by having no chance of getting it right is analyzing the way the court plays.

Of course you have a 50/50 shot of getting it "right" in the sense of guessing which one plays faster but not in getting the analysis right without relevant experience.

Fair enough.

Sadly though, when "experts" disagree you have to try to think for yourself, based on a rational assessment of the arguments as well as any relevant experience or observation. Of course you should give some opinions more weight than others, of course you should admit the possibility of being wrong, but all discussions rapidly become boring when nobody sticks his neck out.

tyruk14
09-09-2010, 12:02 AM
The grass hasn't changed too much. But the balls ping up high whereas they used to stay down low. And when the second week rolls around and all the grass around the baseline has been chewed up by roving sneakers, Nadal can roam freely across the mud as if it were clay, making him quicker in his stride, thus making the court seem slower than it is.

But, generally speaking, it is slower. Though only because the game has changed, and even if the balls did bounce lower most players would stick to the baseline.

And Federer would destroy them all, of course.

LaFuria
09-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Needless to say your opinion on court speed is worth a lot less than that of Murray or Nadal.

And of course the fact that you make hate-filled comments about players you dislike makes your non-expert opinion still less relevant and objective than it would be otherwise (if that is even possible).

Thanks for taking the bait, I was afraid it would just be ignored.

Deivid23
09-09-2010, 03:00 AM
Andrew Murray has also said this last week. One might think these two should know better than u bunch of donuts

careergrandslam
09-09-2010, 04:17 AM
wimbledon IS faster.

River
09-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Only an idiot would think grass is faster than fast HC. Try applying physics for a second.

Okay.

Hard Courts have grip.

Grass has slip.

Tennis ball glides like a motherf*cker on pure grass, has extreme sliding potential to confuse and disrupt rhythm. Hard courts have high bounce and the speed continues even after the bounce.

But I'd rather take my chances on a fast bounce than a fast, low, sliding one. Grass is a bitch to play in.

born_on_clay
09-09-2010, 10:11 AM

this

give yourse a break people

cutesteve22
09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
no comment

bokehlicious
09-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Fed said otherwise, who is right then? :o

kengyin
09-09-2010, 10:22 AM
federer of couse

justine&coria
09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Of course Wimbledon is faster. And it's not because Nadal plays better on a surface than another that that surface is slower :s.
I mean, Fed is better at Wimbledon than US Open, and better at US Open than RG. If one follows your logic, then USOpen is slower than Wimbledon ;).
And matches at Wimbledon last way less than at USOpen, so to me there's no doubt Wimbledon's faster.

The thing is that the US Open's courts and balls almost completely annihilates Rafa's top spin, and this is the big problem for Rafa. No more heavy shots etc.

bokehlicious
09-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I mean, Fed is better at Wimbledon than US Open,

Not too sure about this one... :scratch:

Shirogane
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
And matches at Wimbledon last way less than at USOpen, so to me there's no doubt Wimbledon's faster.

Oh noes you didn't.