Colonel: Hard courts getting slower [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Colonel: Hard courts getting slower

orangehat
09-08-2010, 01:34 AM
When asked about why he thought so many Spaniards are into the last few rounds of USO. (He also said that tennis facilities are cheaper and more widespread in Spain, so cost is lower and easier for young players to learn)

He says that playing Nadal on hard is essentially equivalent to playing Nadal on clay now.

And he also said that "even" Montanes can make 4R of USO is evidence to show that USO courts are slowing down.

selyoink
09-08-2010, 01:38 AM
The Colonel knows of which he speaks. ATP's favoritism of the Nadull is legendary. I would expect within 5 years that all hardcourts will be claycourts to appease the cowardly Nadull.

Johnny Groove
09-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Sounds like he's just hatin' on the Spanish.

BigJohn
09-08-2010, 01:44 AM
What is next? Extra points for bulky huge left arms?

tennisfan856
09-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Colonel is crazy, these courts are blazing fast compared to the warm up tournaments to it. And he is way off on Montanes. As much as I love Albert, his draw being a huge joke is more of a reason than the courts being slower

moon language
09-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Colonel is crazy, these courts are blazing fast compared to the warm up tournaments to it. And he is way off on Montanes. As much as I love Albert, his draw being a huge joke is more of a reason than the courts being slower

He wasn't talking about the US Open courts. He was saying that a lot of hard courts are slower, therefore clay court players have adapted their games to hardcourt and are capable on the surface, whereas in the past there was bigger difference in speed. The flipside is clay courts have sped up.

finn98
09-08-2010, 02:08 AM
He spoke about the hardcourts in particlar which are getting slower....not US Open :rolleyes:
However I still expect fedtards to jump on rafa hating without looking up the actual interview...
If Montanes reaches 4th round of Us Open...good for him..Does that mean USO is slow as clay..To say that is fckin disrespectful to Albert who might've worked his ass off to get there...3 of the Top 10 are spanish... How does the Colonel find it amusing that 3 Top 10 players are doing well on hardcourts... :retard:

moon language
09-08-2010, 02:10 AM
Here's what he said:

Q. There were six Spanish guys that made it to the round of 16. As somebody on the tour, any explanation for why one country that's not that huge has so much success?

MIKHAIL YOUZHNY: Yeah, now it's a lot of Spanish guys. They play really, really well. Why? I think we -- actually, they have a lot of courts; they have a lot of good facilities to practice well. I think it's not really expensive to practice in Spain for Spanish people. In Russia now it's much expensive to practice in Moscow. Not everybody can do this one. I think this is my point, and they have actually really good school, I mean, tennis school in Spain. Before they have only good results in clay, but now, my opinion, it's all hard courts going a little bit slower to previous years. That's why they can play also well on hard court.

Q. Is there anything that when you face these guys they have in common, like something you know you're going to get from somebody? I know they're real good on clay, but is there anything they seem to all do well?

MIKHAIL YOUZHNY: No. It's just I tell before maybe they play much better on clay or indoor or hard court, but now I think it's not big different between Nadal and clay court. Of course some different, but not so different like was previous years when indoors courts was faster. And like when they play I think Bruguera, Berasategui it was more different than now. Now Ferrer, he has really good results on hard court. Nadal, Verdasco, Lopez even play better in hard court maybe. Montanes pass three rounds here; Robredo I think almost every round pass three rounds here. So that's why start play really good hard court, as well.

Filo V.
09-08-2010, 02:12 AM
The truth is, about 75% of the courts seem to be around the same speed. You can play traditional clay court tennis on hard, and you can play traditional hard court tennis on clay, there isn't the same variance in court and how they play. There are several threads in this forum on this subject, basically touching on the little variety in the game in all aspects. Of course if we as fans see it, the players know it too.

Filo V.
09-08-2010, 02:15 AM
He wasn't even discussing the US Open, as others have said, which some say is even faster this year than previous years. Cue the "Nadal's quest for CGS is illegitimate" comments, oh wait, they already started in post #2.

LaFuria
09-08-2010, 02:15 AM
The truth is, about 75% of the courts seem to be around the same speed. You can play traditional clay court tennis on hard, and you can play traditional hard court tennis on clay, there isn't the same variance in court and how they play. There are several threads in this forum on this subject, basically touching on the little variety in the game in all aspects. Of course if we as fans see it, the players know it too.

Yeah, it seems to be that all courts have become more and more similar. It's probably intentional too. Clay courters seem to be benefiting the most from it, but that could be because of the refusal Americans seem to have on learning to play on clay.

BigJohn
09-08-2010, 02:20 AM
I miss the slow clay fast grass days.

Nostalgia...

anticaria
09-08-2010, 02:20 AM
The Colonel knows of which he speaks. ATP's favoritism of the Nadull is legendary. I would expect within 5 years that all hardcourts will be claycourts to appease the cowardly Nadull.

5 years? lol in 5 years, rafa'll be 29.. pray tell, why would he wait til he's over the hill and well past his prime to bring about this so-called masterplan? :haha:

i.e., if rafa's indeed as all-powerful, feared, and omnipotent as you suggest, then all slams would already be played on clay.. <open mouth, insert foot> :wavey:

selyoink
09-08-2010, 02:30 AM
5 years? lol in 5 years, rafa'll be 29.. pray tell, why would he wait til he's over the hill and well past his prime to bring about this so-called masterplan? :haha:

i.e., if rafa's indeed as all-powerful, feared, and omnipotent as you suggest, then all slams would already be played on clay.. <open mouth, insert foot> :wavey:

Within 5 years mate. Means it could be sooner but no later than 5 years.

gulzhan
09-08-2010, 02:30 AM
Sounds like he's just hatin' on the Spanish.

Read the interview. He speaks high about Spanish tennis school. He didn't say anything disrespectful about Montanes and/or Robredo. He only tried to make a point that Spanish players achieve higher results on hard courts now in comparison with great Spanish players of the past who didn't do so well on hard courts. That's all.

Stop bashing a player for trying to express his professional opinion.

Filo V.
09-08-2010, 02:31 AM
Yeah, it seems to be that all courts have become more and more similar. It's probably intentional too. Clay courters seem to be benefiting the most from it, but that could be because of the refusal Americans seem to have on learning to play on clay.

It's definitely intentional, it started with the Agassi v Sampras, and the fact more fans related to Andre because of his aggressive hard hitting exciting attitude and baseline attacking and explosive game. Sampras with his serve and volleying with occasional hard forehands didn't interest people as much. Also, the most prestigious tournament in the world is Wimbledon, and the all serve fests didn't resonate well with many casual fans. People (ie. younger fans who are older today) wanted more excitement, and excitement for them is medium speed courts, where you can be aggressive and have it pay off for you, but it's still slow enough to see extended rallies and you can't simply win being serve only (unless your name is Isner or Karlovic). That's why the game has been progressing to where it finally is today, most courts the same, most games the same.

LaFuria
09-08-2010, 02:35 AM
It's definitely intentional, it started with the Agassi v Sampras, and the fact more fans related to Andre because of his aggressive hard hitting exciting attitude and baseline attacking and explosive game. Sampras with his serve and volleying with occasional hard forehands didn't interest people as much. Also, the most prestigious tournament in the world is Wimbledon, and the all serve fests didn't resonate well with many casual fans. People (ie. younger fans who are older today) wanted more excitement, and excitement for them is medium speed courts, where you can be aggressive and have it pay off for you, but it's still slow enough to see extended rallies and you can't simply win being serve only (unless your name is Isner or Karlovic). That's why the game has been progressing to where it finally is today, most courts the same, most games the same.

I understand it but in my opinion it has gone too far. Volleying has become an afterthought, as a baseliner myself I enjoy my rallys but the game has lost its variety outside of one trick pony servers.

Filo V.
09-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Clay court players benefit more because they have hard courts in Spain to train on. There are not many clay courts in America that are at a professional standard, and there aren't many coaches in America who focus on clay court training.

Also, it's much easier to adapt to hard courts in terms of movement, with clay you have the sliding, and also on clay you have the bad bounces, and how the weather affects how the surface plays. It's much more tactical and mental on clay, even with the courts being quicker than previous, and in America, players aren't taught to be tactical, they are taught aggression off the first opportunity (for the most part). It's still much harder to do that on clay than other surfaces.

gulzhan
09-08-2010, 02:38 AM
He spoke about the hardcourts in particlar which are getting slower....not US Open :rolleyes:
However I still expect fedtards to jump on rafa hating without looking up the actual interview...
If Montanes reaches 4th round of Us Open...good for him..Does that mean USO is slow as clay..To say that is fckin disrespectful to Albert who might've worked his ass off to get there...3 of the Top 10 are spanish... How does the Colonel find it amusing that 3 Top 10 players are doing well on hardcourts... :retard:

Again, read the interview first and then make your opinion.

First, Youzhny said that Spain had and has good tennis school on clay. Second, since hard courts become a little slower, now, unlike in the past, best Spanish tennis players play even better on hard courts (Nadal, Verdasco, Ferrer) and others achieve good results (Monatnes made 3 rounds, Robredo makes 3 rounds every year).

He only tried to state his opinion on why Spanish players show better results on hard now when compared with the recent past.

Close this thread please so that people would not get a wrong idea from the title. As Russians say-- either he stole or he was stolen from :rolleyes:

Filo V.
09-08-2010, 02:45 AM
I understand it but in my opinion it has gone too far. Volleying has become an afterthought, as a baseliner myself I enjoy my rallys but the game has lost its variety outside of one trick pony servers.I completely agree. It's gone absolutely way too far, and I think that right now, there is a problem with how to really figure out how to put the best product out there. We know that after the Sampras-Agassi era, and before Roger, there was a drop off of in general interest and arguably a drop off in level of the sport. They don't want to go back to that, but there needs to be a bit more of an identity in the game, instead of just repetitiveness and the sort of stale nature of today.

orangehat
09-08-2010, 02:54 AM
Again, read the interview first and then make your opinion.

First, Youzhny said that Spain had and has good tennis school on clay. Second, since hard courts become a little slower, now, unlike in the past, best Spanish tennis players play even better on hard courts (Nadal, Verdasco, Ferrer) and others achieve good results (Monatnes made 3 rounds, Robredo makes 3 rounds every year).

He only tried to state his opinion on why Spanish players show better results on hard now when compared with the recent past.

Close this thread please so that people would not get a wrong idea from the title. As Russians say-- either he stole or he was stolen from :rolleyes:

Well Misha did say that :shrug:, and I do agree with him :shrug:

Jomp1
09-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Nothing new here..?

Action Jackson
09-08-2010, 03:26 AM
Colonel is just stating the obvious, then again not a surprise most can't see that.

Court speeds have been homogenised for years and it was deliberate especially as what happened before with the fast courts.

Nothing at all about the US Open.

laurie-1
09-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Here's what he said:

What Youzny says here is actually factual and not just a perception or opinion only.

And that's due to the fact that nearly all indoor tournaments around the world have pulled up their indoor carpet courts for hard courts inlcuding Paris Bercy for instance.

When I did the research for the greatest hard court players article, I saw that Federer had won only 2 carpet tournaments but won 40 (now 41 after Cincinnati) tournaments on hard court. Quite a few of those wins would have been indoors.

So most hard courts are medium paced and hardly any fast carpet courts around.

I still find it baffling that after all of the things said confirming hard courts is punishing on the body and yet they now play on hard courts virutally all season.

Sophocles
09-08-2010, 11:38 AM
What Youzny says here is actually factual and not just a perception or opinion only.

And that's due to the fact that nearly all indoor tournaments around the world have pulled up their indoor carpet courts for hard courts inlcuding Paris Bercy for instance.

When I did the research for the greatest hard court players article, I saw that Federer had won only 2 carpet tournaments but won 40 (now 41 after Cincinnati) tournaments on hard court. Quite a few of those wins would have been indoors.

So most hard courts are medium paced and hardly any fast carpet courts around.

I still find it baffling that after all of the things said confirming hard courts is punishing on the body and yet they now play on hard courts virutally all season.

It's utterly ridiculous. There have been ultra-fast indoor surfaces since at least the 1950s, when the pros played on wood. Why the fuck these wankers at the ATP have got rid of that entire tradition is beyond me.

Topspindoctor
09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
US Open plays super fast, this clown doesn't know what he's talking about. Been watching some RG matches recently, it plays in slo-mo compared to decoturf.

orangehat
09-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Rafatards :rolls:

Sillyrabbit
09-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I miss the slow clay fast grass days.

Nostalgia...

So true, the days when clay was actually mud slow and grass was rapier fast, now everything just seems to be converging and looking the same.