Murray Can Win A Hard Court Slam [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray Can Win A Hard Court Slam

Clay Death
09-07-2010, 09:39 PM
i think murray can win a hard court slam in the next year or 2 folks. he is not missing much. he is young enough and he looks quite driven. he has already made 2 hard court slam finals so the next step is possible.

here is what he needs to snatch a hard court slam in the next 2 years:

1. better fitness. he can take it another level.
2. better forehand. he can do it if he sets his mind to it.
3. better presence at the net which means better transition game day in and day out. no exceptions.
4. better 2nd serve

all thoughts and comments are welcome. thanks.

Young 8
09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Murray CAN'T win any tournament "2 weeks, best of 5"

Singularity
09-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Murray CAN'T win any tournament "2 weeks, best of 5"
If he can make the final twice, I don't see why he can't win won.

dodo
09-07-2010, 09:47 PM
of course he can. im not quite as convinced as a year ago though. i dont even think he needs to improve that much, just keep it together better on the big stage. and not be unfortunate enough come up against jesusfed in his next slam final.

NadalSharapova
09-07-2010, 09:47 PM
no one is saying he can't reach a final, but he can't win is what we are saying. right now we need to see if he reaches another final if he can even win a set.

Young 8
09-07-2010, 09:53 PM
If he can make the final twice, I don't see why he can't win won.

Because Nadal is getting better on HC, Del Potro sooner or later will be back & of course we have Federer & Djokovic too

Clydey
09-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Of course he can. Whether he will is another matter entirely.

It's not his game that's the problem. If he had Rafa's ability to stay in the present, I'm convinced he would already have a couple. As it is, far too many things distract him on court.

The pressure doesn't help either.

Clydey
09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
no one is saying he can't reach a final, but he can't win is what we are saying. right now we need to see if he reaches another final if he can even win a set.

If you can reach two finals and win 5 MS titles, you can win a major. Saying he can't win a Grand Slam is as dumb as saying that Del Potro can't win a Masters Series title.

NadalSharapova
09-07-2010, 10:07 PM
winning MS is not the same as winning grand slams

timafi
09-07-2010, 10:07 PM
the focus shouldn't be on him winning a slam on hard court but the focus should be on him winning a slam period.He hasn't given himself a chance outside of Wimbledon or the USO so he's paying the price:shrug:

dodo
09-07-2010, 10:10 PM
He needs to do it soon though. It's not like he is getting old or anything, but every subsequent loss, especially another whooping in a final, will add up and hurt his confidence.

The Magician
09-07-2010, 10:10 PM
This is how you know Murray is done as a slam contender. When Murray was playing well at the AO and Wimbledon MTF was all threads declaring him done. Now his game is so pathetic the haters are guiltily making threads declaring him back in the mix :ignore:

dodo
09-07-2010, 10:11 PM
the focus shouldn't be on him winning a slam on hard court but the focus should be on him winning a slam period.He hasn't given himself a chance outside of Wimbledon or the USO so he's paying the price:shrug:
huh? RG is obviously hopeless, but he has given himself chance a plenty at AO.

Singularity
09-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Because Nadal is getting better on HC, Del Potro sooner or later will be back & of course we have Federer & Djokovic too
Those are all players that can beat Murray, but Murray has proved he can maintain his form through the two weeks required to win a slam. That was my point: "2 weeks, best of 5" tournaments are not off limits to him, as you seem to think. This was a bad loss, but so was his loss to Cilic at the same time last year.

Since he won his first masters title, he's had a positive H2H with all the players you list. It is *possible* for him to beat them. Whether he will is another matter of course.

Ben.
09-07-2010, 10:40 PM
He has just as good a shot at Wimbledon I think, eventhough he is a better player on hard. He has been more consistant there and the competition is less.

Skyward
09-07-2010, 11:12 PM
:shrug: Of course, he can. He's been a runner up twice.

Sophocles
09-07-2010, 11:19 PM
He has just as good a shot at Wimbledon I think, eventhough he is a better player on hard. He has been more consistant there and the competition is less.

Not until he can take a set off Nadal there.

Clay Death
09-08-2010, 04:43 AM
who really knows anyway. perhaps 2011 will belong to murray. he may just snatch the australian open.

he has to fix that forehand and the 2nd serve and he is in the mix.

DartMarcus
09-08-2010, 04:47 AM
He can't while there is Fish in the town. :wavey:

doublebackhand
09-08-2010, 05:19 AM
:shrug: Of course, he can. He's been a runner up twice.

really? being a runner up twice makes u a future major winner? never heard of always a bridesmaid?

Arakasi
09-08-2010, 05:25 AM
If he had Rafa's ability to stay in the present, I'm convinced he would already have a couple.

Which couple would that be exactly? Do you think he lost US 08' and AO 10' finals because of poor concentration? :rolleyes:

Mechlan
09-08-2010, 05:27 AM
really? being a runner up twice makes u a future major winner? never heard of always a bridesmaid?

Can, not will.

kindling
09-08-2010, 05:33 AM
The moment he stops trying to win one, he will.

leng jai
09-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Anyone who is convinced Murray can't win a slam must be as dumb as a mouldy sack.

born_on_clay
09-08-2010, 06:02 AM
of course he can. he's been runner up twice so far

Clay Death
09-08-2010, 06:53 AM
i think a slam happens for murray in 2011 or in 2012. he will fix what needs fixing.

paseo
09-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Been saying this since last year, Murray will win a slam in 2011. Book it.

Mimi
09-08-2010, 07:47 AM
sorry for my poor tennis knowledge, i don't know if I am right or not, i think his problem lies with his fitness, and his tempers, if he can work better on these 2, a slam will be coming up:wavey:

nadal_slam_king
09-08-2010, 08:56 AM
sorry for my poor tennis knowledge, i don't know if I am right or not, i think his problem lies with his fitness, and his tempers, if he can work better on these 2, a slam will be coming up:wavey:

I agree, he's just a bit short both mentally and stamina-wise, just that little bit short of greatness. Not short talent-wise.

ossie
09-08-2010, 08:56 AM
not with that forehand

HarryMan
09-08-2010, 09:44 AM
I will be surprised if a talent like Murray ends up not winning one slam title by the time his career his over. But stranger things have happened.

Anyway Murray is still young and is a very tough player to beat especially on hard courts, he will also be in contention at AO and US open. His performance at Wimbledon has not been shabby either (semifinalist the last two years). Therefore for three slams each year, you cannot count him out.

nadal_slam_king
09-08-2010, 10:15 AM
I think Murray and Nadal will meet in a lot of GS Finals in future (but not at Roland Garros).

Clydey
09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Which couple would that be exactly? Do you think he lost US 08' and AO 10' finals because of poor concentration? :rolleyes:

I'm not just talking about losses in finals. I'm referring to avoidable slam losses in general.

timafi
09-08-2010, 01:52 PM
huh? RG is obviously hopeless, but he has given himself chance a plenty at AO.

you are making my point.Why limit yourself?A slam is a slam is a slam.He shouldn't turn into Roddick or Sampras and say fuck it cause it's hopeless?:confused::Shrug: He has made strides on clay and I would work even harder on sliding and footwork and give it a real go.Roddick doesn't even have the footwork of Murray on hard courts.Murray is still young.I know he wants to win Wimbledon real bad and loves the USO the most since it's his favorite slam but he needs to chill out and just work and not focus his season on just 3 slams:shrug:
if Murray works on his game and stays aggressive the end of this season and just relax he might surprise everyone next year.He should not focus on winning one at a certain time.The more he focuses on Wimbledon and the USO the more he fucks around:shrug:

Topspindoctor
09-08-2010, 01:56 PM
If Murray ever wins RG I will be devastated. It was bad enough when Federer defiled the hallowed Clay Temple in 2009. Murray winning RG is not something I want to see :(

Clay Death
09-08-2010, 02:37 PM
no worries. murray is not even sniffing the final at roland garros. his only chance for a slam exists on a hard court.

Langers
09-08-2010, 02:46 PM
He just needs TRUE BELIEF in himself.

He'll win the 2011 AO. Why he doesn't see this as his greatest chance of a Slam I'll never know. I see him having the most success at the AO.

allpro
09-08-2010, 02:48 PM
word life needs to stop jinxing him.

Johnny Groove
09-08-2010, 03:20 PM
The problem with Murray is that he always peaks too early. He'll hype up, win a TMS, then crash early in the slam.

MacTheKnife
09-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Murray needs a coach that puts together film on how he plays every big point in a match and put them all on one tape. Murray needs to see the vast difference in how he consistently plays big points vs. how he plays less important points with little pressure.
Until he fully realizes how passive he is in critical moments, he has little hope of improving.
The gap keeping him from pulling out these key matches is between his ears, not so much with his technique alone.

Clay Death
09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
i think his problem is fed and the clay warrior. if its not one, its the other.

it is very tough when you have 2 all time great players in front of you who are among the greatest ever who played the game.

this is why he needs to improve.

star
09-08-2010, 03:31 PM
imo, it's the head and not the game.

Clydey
09-08-2010, 06:03 PM
i think his problem is fed and the clay warrior. if its not one, its the other.

it is very tough when you have 2 all time great players in front of you who are among the greatest ever who played the game.

this is why he needs to improve.

You could argue that Federer is a problem for him. I'm not sure you could argue that Nadal is a problem, certainly not on a hardcourt. I'd say Nadal is only an obstacle on grass. On clay, there are about 20 players who stand in his way.

tennizen
09-08-2010, 06:27 PM
I am not so sure anymore. His last two losses at USO are inexplicable to me. It seems that he cannot do anything to raise his game on a day when he is not feeling the ball. His favorite surface is hard court and on a given day there are 50 players on this surface who can attain superlative form. I am pretty sure he can beat the likes of Fed, Nadal and everyone else eventually if he makes the later stages because he is always motivated in these matches. However, strangely he cannot find the energy/motivation to overcome the lower ranked on-fire players.

Young 8
09-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Anyone who is convinced Murray can't win a slam must be as dumb as a mouldy sack.

A lot of dumb people here then

Singularity
09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
A lot of dumb people here then
I'm sure leng jai would agree with that statement.

FormerRafaFan
09-08-2010, 06:41 PM
You could argue that Federer is a problem for him. I'm not sure you could argue that Nadal is a problem, certainly not on a hardcourt. I'd say Nadal is only an obstacle on grass. On clay, there are about 20 players who stand in his way.

I'd say that Murray would have a hard time even with Nadal on HC the way he playing these days. The improvment in his serve is a threat to anyone, even the solid HC players like Murray. Sure, Nadal would've had to play the game of his life to beat Murray, but I think it would be possible, especially now.

jcempire
09-08-2010, 06:45 PM

Fed is getting old. Probably retire next year. Del Potro??? How he looks today? who knows?

I think Murray have a better chance next year

viruzzz
09-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Murray is too young! Not so many players did his career at his age.
Remember that, folks!

I agree with CD

Clydey
09-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I'd say that Murray would have a hard time even with Nadal on HC the way he playing these days. The improvment in his serve is a threat to anyone, even the solid HC players like Murray. Sure, Nadal would've had to play the game of his life to beat Murray, but I think it would be possible, especially now.

I don't see any real difference in Nadal's game other than an extra 5mph on his serve. He also had that in Toronto and Cinci.

Besides, I'm not saying that Nadal isn't a threat on hardcourts. He can obviously beat Murray on that surface.

Clay Death
09-08-2010, 09:39 PM
actually each additional slam win furnishes you with additional confidence.

so you are wrong Highlander. clay warrior has improved and the proof is in the execution as they say:

1. he is now #1
2. he demolished them all on clay again
3. he snatched roland garros
4. he snatched wimby
5. he is going to snatch flushing meadows

**what the hell do you call that if its not improvement Highlander? just the healthier knees alone means he is improved. it means he can get around the court at least and also push off the right leg.