Main Draw [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Main Draw

soulage
08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
http://blog.gvtnews.com/2010/08/20/pilot-pen-tennis--womens-and-mens-singles-main-draws.aspx?ref=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=Tennis+News

[1] M Baghdatis (CYP) d Bye
I Andreev (RUS) vs. A Clement (FRA)
S Robert (FRA) vs. [WC] D Young (USA)
[14] J Chela (ARG) d Bye

[9] S Stakhovsky (UKR) d Bye
P Luczak (AUS) vs. L Mayer (ARG)
[WC] T Dent (USA) vs. E Schwank (ARG)
[6] T Robredo (ESP) d Bye

[4] M Fish (USA) d Bye
A Beck (GER) vs. I Marchenko (UKR)
F Gil (POR) vs. E Korolev (KAZ)
[13] M Berrer (GER) d Bye

[12] T de Bakker (NED) d Bye
S Greul (GER) vs. Qualifier
J Hajek (CZE) vs. Qualifier
[8] F Mayer (GER) d Bye

[7] A Dolgopolov (UKR) d Bye
[WC] J Blake (USA) vs. P Riba (ESP)
A Seppi (ITA) vs. J Nieminen (FIN)
[10] V Troicki (SRB) d Bye

[16] V Hanescu (ROU) d Bye
L Kubot (POL) vs. D Brands (GER)
Qualifier vs. P Cuevas (URU)
[3] F Gonzalez (CHI) d Bye

[5] A Golubev (KAZ) d Bye
M Gonzalez (ARG) vs. H Zeballos (ARG)
P Starace (ITA) vs. Qualifier
[11] X Malisse (BEL) d Bye

[15] D Istomin (UZB) d Bye
M Chiudinelli (SUI) vs. B Becker (GER)
L Lacko (SVK) vs. F Serra (FRA)
[2] T Bellucci (BRA) d Bye

_Chaz
08-20-2010, 10:12 PM
The upper half is really bad :haha:
Assuming Fish might withdraw / be tired maybe and the same thing with Baghdatis, this half is really open with Chela, Robredo, Stakhovsky, Mayer, De Bakker and Berrer as other seeds and the unseededs aren´t also the best ones with Robert, Clement, Dent, Young...
But the second half is really good with Istomin, F. Gonzalez, Malisse, Dolgopolov and so on.

chowdahead25
08-20-2010, 10:23 PM
If Marcos and Fish withdraw Young could make a deep run..

ImmzB
08-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Fish most likely will withdraw or he should withdraw.

betowiec
08-21-2010, 05:27 AM
doubt we will see both marco/fish playing in new haven

coasterman9
08-21-2010, 06:03 AM
Young couldn't have gotten an easier draw he should at least win R1, and possibly R2.

*Jean*
08-21-2010, 06:35 AM
good luck

I Andreev (RUS)
A Clement (FRA)
[9] S Stakhovsky (UKR)
E Schwank (ARG)
I Marchenko (UKR)
E Korolev (KAZ)
[8] F Mayer (GER)
[7] A Dolgopolov (UKR)
J Nieminen (FIN)
[10] V Troicki (SRB)
L Kubot (POL)
[5] A Golubev (KAZ)

alfonsojose
08-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Kolya not playing :yeah: Finally some decent rest before USO

Vinceten
08-23-2010, 03:06 AM
according to the new Main Draw Bester took Fish's spot and got a Bye?? Is that even possible? Did they make a mistake on the draw? That is weird! IF it's true it's really fortunate for Bester!! haha

emotion
08-23-2010, 03:08 AM
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/2024/screenshot20100822at100t.png (http://img576.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20100822at100t.png/)

true and fucking epic

Vinceten
08-23-2010, 03:11 AM
I guess since some MD matches have started they couldn't change the draw anymore (if the 1-0 in Golubev vs Gil match means that they played one game :p) haha I love that luck!!!

Sweetspot
08-23-2010, 03:29 AM
according to the new Main Draw Bester took Fish's spot and got a Bye?? Is that even possible? Did they make a mistake on the draw? That is weird! IF it's true it's really fortunate for Bester!! haha

I seem to recall same thing happening at one of the clay court tournaments this season, except in that case it was a Lucky Loser who was giving the 2nd round position of one of the seeds who had withdrawn, but at the moment I can't remember which one.

The thing I don't understand is Bester was apparently one of the last to qualify after beating A.Anderson in 3: Just wonder how they decided to take him instead of one of the other guys who had already finished their matches.

At any rate, Stepanek is the Lucky Loser who was given the Q spot vacacted by Bester's promotion to the bye 2nd Rnd:devil:

Vinceten
08-23-2010, 03:38 AM
I seem to recall same thing happening at one of the clay court tournaments this season, except in that case it was a Lucky Loser who was giving the 2nd round position of one of the seeds who had withdrawn, but at the moment I can't remember which one.

The thing I don't understand is Bester was apparently one of the last to qualify after beating A.Anderson in 3: Just wonder how they decided to take him instead of one of the other guys who had already finished their matches.

At any rate, Stepanek is the Lucky Loser who was given the Q spot vacacted by Bester's promotion to the bye 2nd Rnd:devil:

They probably draw all the Qs with the LL, and Bester got Fish's spot.LUCKY! haha

156mphserve
08-23-2010, 03:55 AM
yes, they just draw in the 4 qualifiers, and any LL's in randomly. therefore it's likely that the LL won't go into the same spot as the person who withdrew. If the qualifiers are already drawn in and then a LL is needed then they'll go into the vacated spot.

In one respect bester is lucky as he gets to the 2nd round instead of the first but on another hand it could be bad depending on how he does. he'll have to play the winner of Beck/marchenko but if he were to lose that he'd only get first round points which is 0. I'd say his chance to win was better against greul and at least he would have got 10 in that case if he were to win, but nevertheless good wee already for Bester:)

smucav
08-23-2010, 04:12 AM
The thing I don't understand is Bester was apparently one of the last to qualify after beating A.Anderson in 3: Just wonder how they decided to take him instead of one of the other guys who had already finished their matches.Qualifiers are drawn randomly when the qualifying draw is completed. If lucky loser spots are available before qualifying is completed, those spots are randomly drawn at the same time as the qualifying spots.

_Chaz
08-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Yeah that´s great! Now Berrer should reach the QFs easily.

Edit: There is just one TV court? Great, then we´ll see two or three matches a day and this tournament has a 48 draw and is a joint event so there really should be a 2nd TV court...

Sauletekis
08-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Korolev and Gil played one match or that was a typo?

Anyway, and considering that Gil was a last direct acceptance, that was a very nice draw for Fred. Hope he can take advantage of that...

misty1
08-23-2010, 02:53 PM
i think its rediculous how that worked out with bester and not in the good way

Timotheus
08-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Edit: There is just one TV court? Great, then we´ll see two or three matches a day and this tournament has a 48 draw and is a joint event so there really should be a 2nd TV court...

Why would you think he is better than De Bakker or even Flo Mayer?

_Chaz
08-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Why would you think he is better than De Bakker or even Flo Mayer?

I said QFs!?
For reaching the QFs he has to beat Korolev Beck / Marchenko / Bester in 3rd round so he would play against De Bakker / Mayer in the QFs.

156mphserve
08-23-2010, 08:23 PM
i think its rediculous how that worked out with bester and not in the good way

:rolleyes: Great Canadian tennis fan:worship:

misty1
08-23-2010, 09:02 PM
i really dont care what you think of me the fact is its rediculous that a qualifier ends up getting a bye.

156mphserve
08-23-2010, 09:34 PM
i really dont care what you think of me the fact is its rediculous that a qualifier ends up getting a bye.

makes more sense than a Lucky Loser getting a Bye if Fish would have withdrew after today:rolleyes:

misty1
08-23-2010, 09:39 PM
when you consider what different levels bester and stepanek are at no it doesnt make more sense if stepanek would have gotten that spot

id like to see him do well but this hurts him more than it helps him because the potential first opponent he could face is tougher than the one he would have faced before

156mphserve
08-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Yes, maybe Stepanek is a better player, but Bester earned his spot more than Stepanek as he had 3 qualies win, while Stepanek had 2 wins and a loss. So it makes more sense to give the spot to Bester. That being said it was random. That's like saying if Raonic, and Berankis played in the final round of US Open qualies Raonic wins and they giev the spot to Berankis because he has a better rank.

And relating to how the spot will affect him, Sure Greul was probably an easier opponent, but with an automatic 2nd round he will get 2nd round money regardless if he wins or not. He may be less likely to get anymore ranking points but that being said Marchenko or Beck are still beatable, and to get to the 3rd round he'd only have to beat one of them instead of greul, and De Bakker. I'm sure Philip is happier with this draw than the Greul one;)

Jacques_Ukraine
08-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Marchenko will stop him :)

156mphserve
08-24-2010, 01:38 AM

Bester will stop him:)

Tipster13
08-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Bester will stop him:)

:lol:

Jacques_Ukraine
08-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Now Berrer should reach the QFs easily

Korolev vs Berrer 6-4 4*-3 :)

_Chaz
08-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Korolev vs Berrer 6-4 4*-3 :)

Didn´t expect this... Berrer beat Korolev easily in MC on clay this year so I expected him to win... he doesn´t seem to be really fit after his ankle injury.

Jacques_Ukraine
08-24-2010, 07:32 PM
OK, instead Berrer vs Bester we have Korolev vs Marchenko. Come on, Illya!

Sweetspot
08-24-2010, 08:30 PM

Got a question for ya, Jacques_Ukraine! :)

The odds I've seen on Blake/Dolgo have favored Blake tonight in New Haven ..... Why is that do you think? Most regular people seem to think Dolgo will win! :confused:

Jacques_Ukraine
08-25-2010, 02:17 AM
Got a question for ya, Jacques_Ukraine! :)

The odds I've seen on Blake/Dolgo have favored Blake tonight in New Haven ..... Why is that do you think? Most regular people seem to think Dolgo will win! :confused:

I'm not gambler but know there were many strange bets around Dolgo matches previously. I don't want to believe in some tricks, I think Dolgo was and still remain unstable. In addition, he is of lazy man type or, in other words, very rationalist :) If matters go wrong or he had bad mood, he could tank the match, at least we saw such cases previously. Of cource, this year he shows great progress in stability and confidence, but don't insure against breakdowns
Regarding today match, I guess folks were impressed by 1st round win of Blake too...