Have your commentators also been so annoying during the Federer vs Hewitt match? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Have your commentators also been so annoying during the Federer vs Hewitt match?

Neely
09-13-2004, 11:04 AM
"Federer, UNBELIEVABLE shot"
"That was a shot outside from this planet by Federer"
"He is not human"
"Federer is UNREAL"
"INCREDIBLE forehand of Federer"
"Federer is playing amazingly well"
"Another terrific shot by Federer"
"What a shot by Federer"
etc.

The German commentator must have said something like that after/during almost every point that Federer made :tape: :tape:

That was really annoying after 10 minutes because everybody who sees the score and who knows only a bit about Federer or who is following the coverage for only two minutes knows already that he is the uncontested best player of the world, but still they keep on mentioning it every about four times per minute :tape: :banghead:

It's not often that I feel annoyed by commentators about every shit like some other people do, but this was really too much for me as they consistently repeated virtually the same almost every point. :o :rolleyes:

How are your thoughts on that? How were your experiences?

WyveN
09-13-2004, 11:14 AM
The Australian commentators are annoying for a different reason, the only decent commentator retired last year and we are left with Newcombe who spends 95% of the time praying for Hewitt to win (was 10 times worse when Rafter was playing) rather then analyse the tennis, his partner Fred Stolle was once a decent commentator but is now far to old for the job.

2Tough4Men
09-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Neely, what exactly should they be talking about when Roger so thoroughly exhibits his mastery like he did yesterday?

Ferrero Forever
09-13-2004, 11:20 AM
yes, hewitt is in top form, he's got a very good chance against federer. Hewitt is down 6-0 in the first set, but he's gonna come back and take federer by suprise. Hewitt is in a spot of bother but he'll get out of it. Hewitt will get a 2nd us open title. I can't believe hewitt lost

Kristen
09-13-2004, 11:23 AM
LOL Juanqui and dont forget... Hewitt's in great shape right now... we can expect to see a lot more from him in the near future :rolleyes:

Mrs. B
09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Neely, i had to listen to these German commentators as well when Florian Mayer was playing so well against Agassi and said the same superlatives whenever he'd hit a good shot.

Auscon
09-13-2004, 11:35 AM
I like Newcombe and Stolle....theyre not the best, but theyre not bad

Alot of the same phrases do get repeated throughout the coverage, but Newcombes faith and belief in Lleyton is solid, and its good that he doesnt waver in that, and yet gives every other player the credit they deserve

Neely
09-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Neely, i had to listen to these German commentators as well when Florian Mayer was playing so well against Agassi and said the same superlatives whenever he'd hit a good shot.
I can imagine, I didn't see this match live (only re-live the next day) but I can very well imagine what you mean because Mayer is the type of player who has some curious shots and it was kind of a surprise that he played so well against Agassi. Just too sad he got injured later, but thanksfully it was nothing severe.

I don't have anything against Roger, I enjoy his tennis.
Yesterday, it was for the first time really sooo otiose to tell again and again the same because he is the #1 and won already three Grand Slams and he won the 1st set 6-0 and they already said it umpteenth of times before :shrug: so even a 95 year-old grandmother would have noticed after some minutes what was going on in this final :lol:

2Tough4Men
09-13-2004, 11:50 AM
I can imagine, I didn't see this match live (only re-live the next day) but I can very well imagine what you mean because Mayer is the type of player who has some curious shots and it was kind of a surprise that he played so well against Agassi. Just too sad he got injured later, but thanksfully it was nothing severe.

I don't have anything against Roger, I enjoy his tennis.
Yesterday, it was for the first time really sooo otiose to tell again and again the same because he is the #1 and won already three Grand Slams and he won the 1st set 6-0 and they already said it umpteenth of times before :shrug: so even a 95 year-old grandmother would have noticed after some minutes what was going on in this final :lol:

Once again, what else do you want them to say? That was what was happening in front of them. Should they have said entirely unrelated things not wanting to be repetitive even though the action was?

baseline ace
09-13-2004, 11:53 AM
There was not much any commentator could say Federer's domination was so complete. Seems he had a point to make and he did it. Good for him.

Lindsayfan
09-13-2004, 12:25 PM
yep also italian commentators were praying roger all the time, telling that he's the greatest player, that he can win also RG, that he's likely to beat sampras's records, that when he's on, no one can touch him, that to win or to lose is only up to him.
you can call them 'annoying' and in a way u r right but : who would dare to disagree with them? Rogi is really from an other planet right now!

Neely
09-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Once again, what else do you want them to say?
cooling down, calming down, not repeating the same every minute a few times again and again and letting the match more speak for itself as you could see by yourself that this is a loop-sided match in which Lleyton had no chance, especially in the 1st and 3rd set.
At some times it souned as if Roger was God or an alien from an other planet with never-seen before tennis skills, and that's also what was disturbing to me... :rolleyes:

Space Cowgirl
09-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Don't know if I agree with you, Neely. He said a lot of complimentary things about Hewitt as well. I think he knows Federer quite well, so was maybe a bit more biased to him, but so would I, the way he was playing!

alfonsojose
09-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Stop these JesusFed hate threads. He loves u and his ass smells like tropical flowers :angel:

pinky
09-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Well, on the french Eurosport it was pretty funny since, as you can imagine, they also used all king of "Roger is so good", "amazing shot..." etc... but near the end of the match they nearly excused themselves for praising Federer so much :)

jmp
09-13-2004, 02:53 PM
The American commentating got on my nerves more than usual this tournament. I thought they got away from the matches in question waaaay too much with all the repetitive background stories, outlandish predictions, and uninspired "analysis". Jim Courier and John McEnroe were best when they talked shot/match analysis.

Just to give you an example of uninspired/inaccurate analysis - During the Jennifer/Elena semifinal, they couldn't agree if Jennifer was as fit as she was when she won her three majors or whether she is fitter now than at the beginning of 2004. They were amazed that Elena was hitting more winners than Jennifer. They have known Jennifer since she was a child and they think her game is hitting winners as opposed to drawing errors from her opponents. Oh, and I hadn't noticed that Elena can't serve. Really subpar work.

I have sympathy for the commentators calling the mens' final, though, because it's their job to talk about what's happening in the match. But, Neely makes a good point about letting the match speak for itself. It's like some one talking when I'm listening to a good piece of music, watching a great scene in a movie, or a gifted dancer. I even said out loud while I was watching the match that anybody who couldn't comprehend the genius they were witnessing was an idiot. I can't imagine how sports radio covered it.

RonJeremy
09-13-2004, 02:57 PM
I even said out loud while I was watching the match that anybody who couldn't comprehend the genius they were witnessing was an idiot. I can't imagine how sports radio covered it.

Unfortunately there are a lot of idiots out there in the universe, and yes Federer's performance was genius, There are only so many superlatives that commentators can use when describing this performance.

khyber
09-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Stop these JesusFed hate threads. He loves u and his ass smells like tropical flowers :angel:

God, Alfonsojose, I love you !!!

gillian
09-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Though I like the commentary from CBS' Mary Carillo, Dick Enberg & John McEnroe (who is my favorite tennis commentator), I watched most of the match on mute, because I was simultaneously doing research for a term paper :)

That said, what struck me about the trio's commentary yesterday (the few times I turned up the volume) was how they all seemed stunned into silence by Federer's play. That's not to say that they were biased for or against him. I think they just wanted a longer (or at least more competitive match). But I seriously lost count of the number of times Federer would hit an amazing shot and there'd be almost dead silence in that CBS booth. They mostly just wanted Hewitt to something (anything) to make the encounter into a real match.

I will say that last week, during USA network's coverage, I noticed from everyone, except McEnroe & Jim Courier, some seriously long faces once Roddick lost.

Marine
09-13-2004, 06:11 PM
The french commentators said the same -in the first set anyway I didn't see the end) but it's normal Roger is magic and I think the same. :D

Mrs. B
09-13-2004, 06:34 PM
in the old days when Roger didn't win a Grand Slam yet, Swiss Italian tv covered his matches (nowadays Swiss German tv SF1/2 is doing that) and these Italians talked endlessly even while the play was going on. that could drive you up the wall.

Heinz Gunthard is not so bad, but i really miss Frew McMillan's knowledgeable commentating. this whole USO has been only on the German canal at Eurosport. :(

Dirk
09-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Mrs. B does Roy Emerson commentate at all?

EHendrick
09-13-2004, 09:03 PM
I really think the best commentating is hardly any commentating or at least waiting until you have something to say that's not obvious. JMac and Courier are my favs, and Mary Carillo is ok with everyone, except Federer. Her music analogies ("Federer is like jazz" etc.) drive me batty. :cuckoo: If I never heard Carillo commentate another Fed match for as long as I live I would be very happy. :)

Lady
09-13-2004, 09:13 PM
It was much worse when Roger played Agassi! My comentator was praising BOTH of them, every shot of BOTH of them, I just couldn't hear them anymore, and I like Rogi & Andre! ;)

Cervantes
09-13-2004, 09:22 PM
I've seen the match live on RTL5 and also delayed on Eurosport, both commentating was pretty decent.

On RTL5 the commentator is a noob who's doesn't know anything about tennis, but the co-commentator was Jan Siemerink, who analyzed the match pretty well. They were constantly talking about what Hewitt had to do to get himself into the match and of course they were also talking about Federer's awesome shotmaking in the first and third set. Siemerink also predicted Federer would have a couple of lapses in concentration and that would be the opportunity for Hewitt.

On Eurosport the commentator was constantly analyzing every point, especially talking about the tempo Federer generated by taking the ball on the rise consistently, he said Federer is way ahead of his time. He was also talking about the lack of gameplan from Hewitt, who didn't seem to pin Federer down on his backhand enough. All in all this commentator usually has a decent analysis of the match and this was no exception.

Aphex
09-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Nah, Rolf Norberg at Swedish Eurosport is, not brilliant, but ok. I'm more disturbed Eurosport didn't show the match live. Actually I was pretty upset by that.

2Tough4Men
09-13-2004, 10:54 PM
cooling down, calming down, not repeating the same every minute a few times again and again and letting the match more speak for itself as you could see by yourself that this is a loop-sided match in which Lleyton had no chance, especially in the 1st and 3rd set.
At some times it souned as if Roger was God or an alien from an other planet with never-seen before tennis skills, and that's also what was disturbing to me... :rolleyes:

You're complaining about nothing. They have an obligation to call the action. If that is what is happening, that is what they should've said.

Neely
09-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Nah, Rolf Norberg at Swedish Eurosport is, not brilliant, but ok. I'm more disturbed Eurosport didn't show the match live. Actually I was pretty upset by that.
holy shit, that is really very very bad. So what did Swedish Eurosport televise instead of the US Open final? What was more important? was it Bandy? LOL
no serious, that's really bad, IMO.

You're complaining about nothing. They have an obligation to call the action. If that is what is happening, that is what they should've said.
amen, you win ;)

Jennay
09-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Though I don't deny it, Carillo and McEnroe never shut up about Federer's brilliance. ;)

WF4EVER
09-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Even though McEnroe gave Roger his props at the end he never believed Roger could win this tournament. He said he wasn't ready yet to win something as big as this, the USO. And of course he predicted Roddick to win.

I believe he was deeply disappointed by Roddick's loss but he never let it show. Everyone knows Mary is gaga over Roger. Well, so are most of us.

However my favorite part of the commentary was when Roger would play a great shot and the booth would be lulled into silence. That I enjoyed immensely because the whole tournament thru I've had to watch the Americans play other players on mute. I can't stand the lack of objectivity from these commentators so I prefer to watch in silence or watch the scoreboard. I'm sure after Roddick came back from those two sets down they were praising him to high heaven. I'll tell you this, the commentators have a great effect on my desire to see certain players lose and Roddick and Sharapova are the two top players in that category.

I've always wished that they'd just let Roddick become the player he can be without all the hype and lofty expectations. That, for the most part, and his grandstanding and arrogance have turned me off, but he is a funny guy sometimes. Perhaps he's just following a bad influence.

It was really easy for me to watch the men's SF (watched the women's on mute also) and the women's final, because I expected the commentary to be fairer. Yet, Roger's brilliant display made it seem biased, too, because you couldn't help but be dumbstruck by his shot-making.

EHendrick
09-14-2004, 12:15 AM
"I'll tell you this, the commentators have a great effect on my desire to see certain players lose and Roddick and Sharapova are the two top players in that category.

I've always wished that they'd just let Roddick become the player he can be without all the hype and lofty expectations. That, for the most part, and his grandstanding and arrogance have turned me off, but he is a funny guy sometimes. Perhaps he's just following a bad influence."

Exactly.

Aphex
09-14-2004, 12:21 AM
holy shit, that is really very very bad. So what did Swedish Eurosport televise instead of the US Open final? What was more important? was it Bandy? LOL

Of course it was bandy. Since it snows in Sweden all year long, we shift between ice-hockey and bandy for sports, you know.

It was boxing. Probably had something to do with TV rights in the Nordic countries.