How soon will Andy Roddick start to bomb like Marat Safin did? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How soon will Andy Roddick start to bomb like Marat Safin did?

I_Love_Hot_Guys
09-13-2004, 06:14 AM
Just wondering.....Both won their first slam....and probably their only:o...at Flushing Meadow.
And both of them were ranked #1 in the world.....and both of them do modeling too:o...
So how much longer will it be for Andy to begin bombing...:)....

2Tough4Men
09-13-2004, 06:17 AM
The similarities boggle the mind ....

MisterQ
09-13-2004, 06:29 AM
I think Andy's dedication to the game is strong, and he will continue to be a threat at slams.

It does bring up an interesting phenomenon, though. There aren't that many one-time US Open winners. Most guys who have won it have done so more than once.

one-time USOpen winners of the past 30 years:

Roger Federer 2004 (obviously)
Andy Roddick 2003
Lleyton Hewitt 2001
Marat Safin 2000

Boris Becker 1989
Mats Wilander 1988

Guillermo Vilas 1977
Manuel Orantes 1975

that's it

*Ljubica*
09-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Though my dislike of Roddick is strong :devil: I don't see him doing a Marat Safin at all. As MisterQ says - his dedication to the game is strong, even I can't deny that. I'm sure he has many more successful years left, - anyway - he could never be as good at modelling as Marat because he isn't anywhere near as good-looking :p

Dirk
09-13-2004, 06:45 AM
Only injury would slow down andy. The year is not over yet and he has won 4 titles and posted damn good results in the slams excluding the French Open of course. If Andy can pick up another title this year no matter what it is that would be great. Its rare that someone wins 5 titles in a year.

Auscon
09-13-2004, 06:47 AM
Injury wise, who knows, but I cant see him mentally bombing

So I doubt USO2003 will be his only slam title

maratski
09-13-2004, 07:56 AM
What makes you all think Safin does modeling? It's something he hates and he'll never be the male version of Anna K! He likes to play tennis and enjoy his life, but doesn't want his name to be linked to any company or whatever. He gets racquets from Head and clothes from Adidas. That's it :)

Smankyou
09-13-2004, 08:36 AM
It's not their fault that they're both pretty.

G O
09-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Just wondering.....Both won their first slam....and probably their only:o...at Flushing Meadow.
And both of them were ranked #1 in the world.....and both of them do modeling too:o...

You forgot to mention where they're from. That's sort of important.

I think the question should be when will Roger slide? When he does Andy and lleyton will be there.

Vass
09-13-2004, 10:16 AM
I think that "I love hot guys" is underestimating Roddick big time. With his serve he'll win another GS. It's just a matter of time.

J. Corwin
09-13-2004, 10:50 AM

Well Andy has already achieved more than Marat in terms of titles and ending year at #1 (which Marat never did).

And like Mr. Q said, I see more motivation and fight in Andy.

Gandalf
09-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Andy is way more focused on his tennis than Marat ever was...and he's very aware that right now American tennis is (mostly) relying on him, and uses that as a motivation. He could easily have won Wimbledon this year, and frankly, I would be surprised if US'2003 is his only Slam when he retires.

baseline ace
09-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Andy will never end up like Safin. No doubt this year exposed the major weaknesses of his game and I'm sure he'll be working on them. Andy will win GS titles in the future. Safin should've been so much more. Such a waste of God given talent by Safin. One can only imagine a final between Federer and the Safin that won the US Open. Now that would be something to see.

Shadow
09-13-2004, 01:03 PM
and both of them do modeling too:o...

Marat doesn`t.

BelgianWaffle
09-13-2004, 01:04 PM
yep I agree with most ppl here: andy has more GS in him. He's way more focussed and hungry than Marat. He's still improving.
Marat modeling? :lol: something tells me he thinks that's only for girls ;)

PennyThePenguin
09-13-2004, 01:36 PM
marat doesn't model. nope nope nope. maybe if it were beer. but nope nope nope. not an anna k.

Fumus
09-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Only injury would slow down andy. The year is not over yet and he has won 4 titles and posted damn good results in the slams excluding the French Open of course. If Andy can pick up another title this year no matter what it is that would be great. Its rare that someone wins 5 titles in a year.

I agree with Dirk. Andy has a good year, it's not like he went away like Safin did. He's been winning titles, and lets not forget he was just in the finals of wimbly and played a damn good match! :cool: