The Future of the Rivalry - Federer/Hewitt [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Future of the Rivalry - Federer/Hewitt

Auscon
09-13-2004, 01:10 AM
Before this year Lleyton had ~a 8-2 edge in the head to head, and now its 8-6

Does Rogers style of game simply have Lleytons number? Lleyton goes down to very few people 6-0 in a match, let alone 5 times in 4 matches. And I dont think Roger does that to any other player amongst the top (well, maybe even the top 50, I'm not sure) that often

So is Rogers game what Lleytons is to Henman? Or is it just that somehow (unfortunately), Lleyton brings out the best in Federer? And for one of the most, if not the most mentally strong player on tour, who would back himself against anyone, I cant help but to see that maybe he doesnt have that confidence against Roger, and that he has those doubts there which are able to creep into his game right from the get go. So far this year he hasnt been able to do anything to stop the rot against Roger.

Lleyton said he's not really sure whether he'll play many tournaments for the remainder of this season, so they'll most likely play off one more time at the masters, and hopefully Lleyton can finish off the year with a win over Roger

Damn, its a long wait til the Aussie Open

makro120
09-13-2004, 01:15 AM
I think it is all about how Hewitt let Federer enter his rythm by not going for winners but just hit the balls back. You have to just go crazy in every ball against Federer and make the balls really short, Hewitt just let Federer get his tempo and all shots right.

I think the only one who could create a rivalry against Federer right now is Agassi, who has the tempo and forces Federer to really go into Agassi's tempo and play alot of defense. Too bad he is 34 years old, when he retires who will challenge Federer?

liptea
09-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Also, I don't think Lleyton played his best until the middle of the second set, and the slumped into despondency in the third.

I don't think we can forget Nalbandian, although after this year, it'll be hard to believe that anyone can challenge Federer.

Tennis Fool
09-13-2004, 01:21 AM
The rivalry is dead. There are only future bagels.

rogicomel
09-13-2004, 01:29 AM
Yeah.... just another bagel, oops! double bagels!!! Hewitt should pray he will not meet Rogi this remaining season to avoid another bagel!

Auscon
09-13-2004, 01:47 AM
Also, I don't think Lleyton played his best until the middle of the second set, and the slumped into despondency in the third.

Thats the thing though, so far this year its been a habit of being very on and off against Roger in his matches, whereas in many matches leading up to them, he's been nothing but on

LCeh
09-13-2004, 01:51 AM
I think the problem is Lleyton's game really does give Roger all the edge. If you give Federer little pace on the ball, he can do so much with it. The people that has success against him blasts balls at him, attacks his backhand. When Lleyton attacked Roger's backhand, he had success. However, his game is not aggresive enough. It allows Roger to
1) get into a rhythm
2) dictate point
3) uses his forehand
and that is just asking for trouble. Lleyton would have to change the whole style of his game if he wants to be able to beat Roger when he is playing well.

Billabong
09-13-2004, 01:53 AM
It will be tough, I can tell you;)!

Gandalf
09-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Well, right now I think that Hewitt is one of the most dangerous rivals for Federer, in the sense that if Roger is not playing his best, or if the match gets close (which hasn't been the case in the last 4 matches), he has more of a chance than Henman or Nalbandian. At least I get more nervous than with other players.

The big question for me right now is how long can Roger keep going at this level. If he does (and I surely hope son!), he can easily win the most number of Slams. But if he gets into a slump, I don't know if he will find the motivation to work harder/get a coach/etc, after having dominated so much.

Deejay
09-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Hewitt's game plays right into roger's hands, just the same way Henman's plays into Hewitt's hands. Hewitt is a defensive minded player and his game is to simply get one more ball back and it doesnt work against not only Federer but the roddicks and the agassi's. Another reason why Fed has so much success against Hewitt is the fact that Lleyton simply has nothing (not one single stroke) to worry Federer at all, where as agassi and roddick do. You just cant see Lleyton beating him again...

2Tough4Men
09-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Thats the thing though, so far this year its been a habit of being very on and off against Roger in his matches, whereas in many matches leading up to them, he's been nothing but on

i just don't think it's like that. It's not a question of not playing well in the match, it's a question of being unable to compete with the guy. Of course you look bad when someone's destroying you, but it's because of them, not folly on your part.

WyveN
09-13-2004, 11:19 AM
The reason Andre has success against Roger is because he has the power of shot to really attack Roger's backhand and pin him into that corner.
Lleyton simply does not have that power of shot and while he does his best to attack Roger's backhand a lot of the balls don't go deep enough and land somewhere in the middle of the court allowing Roger to simply run around his backhand and put away the forehand.

To have any chance against Roger, Lleyton must flatten his groundstrokes and take some chances.

Auscon
09-13-2004, 12:01 PM
i just don't think it's like that. It's not a question of not playing well in the match, it's a question of being unable to compete with the guy. Of course you look bad when someone's destroying you, but it's because of them, not folly on your part.

Yes, there were many points where simply nothing could be done, but I'm talking about all of those points where there were windows of opportunity, or the option to change things up, and yet he tried to stick to his routine, which Federer eats up

And if your sending down doublefaults on consecutive break points, as Lleyton did not only in this final, but his qf at Wimbledon, something about the guy must be getting into his head

Auscon
09-13-2004, 12:06 PM
To have any chance against Roger, Lleyton must flatten his groundstrokes and take some chances.

Yeah, theyre just sitting up there waiting for Federer to rip into

It'll be interesting to see what will happen in 05, as I'd expect Lleyton would do alot of work on trying to compete with Roger after being stunned so many times this year

WyveN
09-13-2004, 12:12 PM
It'll be interesting to see what will happen in 05, as I'd expect Lleyton would do alot of work on trying to compete with Roger after being stunned so many times this year

On the other hand changing his game could lead to poorer results versus the rest of the field.

Deejay
09-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Hewitt struggles when he has to step up and play an attacking shot, just look at how many put-away forehands he missed yesterday and against andre in the final a few weeks ago. For him to step up and flatten his shots out would ultimatly work against him as he is going away from what he does best and what he normally does can beat 95% of the players out there anyway...

RonJeremy
09-13-2004, 03:11 PM
On the other hand changing his game could lead to poorer results versus the rest of the field.

Hewitt might have to sacrifice losing some matches in the short-term to progress in the longer term in trying to get a more rounded game, and then he doesn't have the weight of shot to really trouble Federer and especially with that safe but predictable cross-court backhand that Roger loves to step around and dominate with his forehand.

Roger has improved mentally and the Davis Cup and the TMC where matches that he really should have won, but Hewitt was tougher in the mind at that time.

Federer and Nalbandian is more of a rivalry, though I want to see David get back into some form as soon as possible.