Amid the eulogising, how about a big hand for those line calls, eh? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Amid the eulogising, how about a big hand for those line calls, eh?

Sjengster
09-13-2004, 01:22 AM
Nice to know that in a tournament where horrendous calls were the trademark, the event finished on a similar note. They were nearly all on the baseline nearest to the camera, and were actually about equal for both players - Federer benefited from a couple, but so did Hewitt, and they were on fairly important points too. There's been some bad line judging at all the Slams this year, but the US Open was by far the worst, in fact just about the worst I've ever seen. The Grand Slam Committee has met to discuss these issues and it reopens the technology debate - any thoughts?

liptea
09-13-2004, 01:26 AM
I seem to remember that there was on break point in the second to send Federer up by two breaks...they replayed it on that MacCam thing. But I might have been mistaken.

Tennis Fool
09-13-2004, 01:28 AM
Eulogising? Somebody died :confused:

BTW, I thought you'd be happy about all the bad calls in the Serena/JCap match, since you hate the Williams sisters so.

Sjengster
09-13-2004, 01:36 AM
eulogy n. (pl -ies) 1 a speech or writing in praise of a person. b an expression of praise. 2 US a funeral oration in praise of a person.

Apologies for not being American. And please cut out the vindictive crap about the Williams sisters, TT.

Lisbeth
09-13-2004, 01:38 AM
They were pretty bad - the Aussie commentators were getting a "little" upset about one of the break points in particular ;) - but I don't actually think a couple of line calls would have affected the outcome in this particular match ;) I also suspect there were some bad ones both ways.

Still, I have to wonder if there's something about the lighting or the court or whatever because they really have been particularly bad.

Sjengster
09-13-2004, 01:39 AM
But yes, you're right, I confess to being a member of my local KKK branch and holding regular funeral pyres for effigies of the Williams sisters, whilst simultaneously worshipping the giant poster of Marianna Alves that stands on our club wall.

Tennis Fool
09-13-2004, 01:39 AM
eulogy n. (pl -ies) 1 a speech or writing in praise of a person. b an expression of praise. 2 US a funeral oration in praise of a person.

Apologies for not being American. And please cut out the vindictive crap about the Williams sisters, TT.

Hey, I only call it as I see it.

What the hell is TT?

Can't you use something more even-handed, like "accolades" ?

Tennis Fool
09-13-2004, 01:43 AM
But yes, you're right, I confess to being a member of my local KKK branch and holding regular funeral pyres for effigies of the Williams sisters, whilst simultaneously worshipping the giant poster of Marianna Alves that stands on our club wall.

It's amusing how your Fed-like demeanor become Mac-like with the mention of the Sisters.

You seem to fall in that trap every time.

Sorry ;)

Sjengster
09-13-2004, 01:45 AM
I'm only following in the esteemed footsteps of GWH, it's nothing for you to worry about.

I could use something more even-handed, but I felt like using that word and had no idea it held a different meaning in American until I checked the dictionary. You'll cope, I promise.

Sjengster
09-13-2004, 01:48 AM
It's amusing how your Fed-like demeanor become Mac-like with the mention of the Sisters.

You seem to fall in that trap every time.

Sorry ;)

If you think that what I said was in any way Mac-like, then you're the one falling into a trap. ;) When I really fulminate, I choose worthier and more omnipresent targets than the Williams sisters.

Tennis Fool
09-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Well, you shouldn't always follow the crowd. GWH apologized to me for calling me out of my name (although still have no idea what he meant by TT).

Sjengster
09-13-2004, 01:55 AM
That's true, I usually have a style all of my own, but I thought it was appropriate in this particular case since you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about my Williams sister-hating. Times change, attitudes cool, I have altered my stance about them and you should do the same about me.

Tennis Fool
09-13-2004, 01:57 AM
No, I don't care that the Williams lost (although it would have been nice to see one in the finals).

I just mentioned them because I knew what your reaction would be.

BTW, what are your thought on that controversial call?