Isn't it interesting how the WTA and ATP finals have reversed? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Isn't it interesting how the WTA and ATP finals have reversed?

Tennis Fool
09-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Two years ago finals were being played and won by different players from the ATP.

Two years ago, Serena won 3/4 majors in a year.

So, now it's the WTA that has created more depth, and the ATP with one player so much better than anyone else.

Cervantes
09-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I noticed it too. Also the men's draw was very predictable this time and the women's was really open.

2Tough4Men
09-12-2004, 11:26 PM
This year women's tennis had 4 different major winners and 7 different major finalists, Dementieva being the only repeat. In 2002, Serena dominated as you said. But somehow I don't expect articles to come up slagging the ATP Tour for "lack of depth" and not being able to challenge Federer as they did when Serena was on her run.

Layla
09-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Sad but true.

Sjengster
09-13-2004, 12:15 AM
Thank God Federer doesn't have an older brother whom he will always beat up on in Slam finals, at least.

Tennis Fool
09-13-2004, 12:17 AM
You don't know about the insane, disfigured twin locked away :confused:

sigmagirl91
09-13-2004, 12:18 AM
You don't know about the insane, disfigured twin in the closet :confused:

Tell us more. :eek: J/K

Havok
09-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Serena- injured, was making her comeback, not as good as she used to be
Venus- ditto
Justine- had that mono-type virus that screwed up her year
Clijsters- her wrist is crap

then there's the rest
Amelie- BIG TIME headcase
Jennifer- lost her firepower and guts to hit out vs top players
Lindsay- injuries always seem to kreep up at the wrong moments

Tennis Fool
09-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Hey, wouldn't it be amusing to find the similar ATP players to your list?

sigmagirl91
09-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Hey, wouldn't it be amusing to find the similar ATP players to your list?

Let's see:

Marat-BIG TIME headcase
Tim-choke king

Dux
09-13-2004, 12:51 AM
I believe it's more injuries in the WTA & Federer playing beyond amazing that made this result.

The good thing is that the WTA is finally getting some depth on early round of Slams, who would've thought Chakvetadze would beat Myskina in round 2?

Hopefully we can get an Australian free injury on both tours :)

:D

faboozadoo15
09-13-2004, 12:53 AM
omG... people actually think venus and serena are still injured? venus has competed all year, just not well.
venus and serena have just been losing to consistent baseliners. it has nothing to do with their bodies and more with their minds. their footwork is shit these days and that's why they can't produce the same consistency that is needed to win grand slams.

Tennis Fool
09-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Ferrero=Justine. Injuries, illness, and long year devasted his 2004.
Coria=Kim. Had to have surgery and messed up his year.
Lleyton=Jennifer. Fiesty, lost some of his firepower. Making a comeback.
S&V=Bryan Brothers??? How far did they get in men's doubles?

Dux
09-13-2004, 12:56 AM
omG... people actually think venus and serena are still injured? venus has competed all year, just not well.
venus and serena have just been losing to consistent baseliners. it has nothing to do with their bodies and more with their minds. their footwork is shit these days and that's why they can't produce the same consistency that is needed to win grand slams.

Maybe I should've expecified, of injuries I meant Kim & Justine's virus :wavey:

I do agree Venus & Serena had a decent injury free year, just not the results they were used to have at Slams :)

Ballbuster
09-13-2004, 01:01 AM
<--- waits for the haters to say Justine's virus was BS

2Tough4Men
09-13-2004, 04:27 AM
Where is the depth in men's tennis!!!

And yeah, Venus and Serena have no excuse.

Justine does and doesn't. She was healthy enough to win in Athens, so how can that be used as an excuse for the loss in New York?

sbartel
09-13-2004, 04:41 AM
That's silly: WTA may have four different champs in four grand slam events, but look how many seeds (of 32) made it to the 3rd round versus the men's tour. And while a number of the women seed's searly round matches were closer than in year's past, they were still fairly clear cut.

Yes, Federer has been dominating, but by no means does that speak to less depth for the rest of the 127-player field.

2Tough4Men
09-13-2004, 05:04 AM
That's silly: WTA may have four different champs in four grand slam events, but look how many seeds (of 32) made it to the 3rd round versus the men's tour. And while a number of the women seed's searly round matches were closer than in year's past, they were still fairly clear cut.

Yes, Federer has been dominating, but by no means does that speak to less depth for the rest of the 127-player field.

It speaks to the depth at the top.

And obviously I'm being facetious. There is a double standard applied. Because "everybody knows" women's tennis isn't as deep, that's all you ever hear. But there's never any way of proving depth vs dominance so it's useless. But people aren't smart enough to understand that.

Ballbuster
09-13-2004, 05:11 AM
Justine does and doesn't. She was healthy enough to win in Athens, so how can that be used as an excuse for the loss in New York?

I'm not saying it was an excuse for her losing in NY. she lost cause she played crappily. I was referring to all the haters on wtahell who claimed her virus was BS and the WS injuries were legit

2Tough4Men
09-13-2004, 05:18 AM
I'm not saying it was an excuse for her losing in NY. she lost cause she played crappily. I was referring to all the haters on wtahell who claimed her virus was BS and the WS injuries were legit

And I wasn't responding to your post so ....

Scotso
09-13-2004, 05:22 AM
Yeah the "depth" that everyone in the men's game raves about has certainly declined, though there are probably more players in the men's game that can scalp top players than in the women's game, still.

But as far as people who can win major titles, there are probably more women than men.

alfonsojose
09-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Let's see:

Marat-BIG TIME headcase
Tim-choke king

Don't forget "Monster" choke, Charlize Moya :tape: ;) He transforms himself from great player to sad choker in an incredible performance :p

alfonsojose
09-13-2004, 03:19 PM
You don't know about the insane, disfigured twin locked away :confused:

the guy on your avatar :eek: