Federer - Hewitt 6-0 7-6 6-0!

pinky
09-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Incredible year, incredible player...

/bow !

David Kenzie
09-12-2004, 10:42 PM
wow, well played roger !! but poor lleyton :/
has there ever been a double baggle in a slam final before ?

Tennis Fool
09-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Such a bizarre score. First double-bagel since 1891.

Fed does the 3-peat. First player to go 4-0 in Slam finals.

Roger :yeah:

Layla
09-12-2004, 10:45 PM
I'm speechless. I guess congrats are in order, but I don't think he needs them anymore. :worship:

Poor Lleyton, I feel sorry for him. That was a very nice handshake/hug though, he showed his respect and didn't sulk off.

Jorge
09-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Federer the best player I've seen :worship:

for the record I didn't see Borg, Laver or Emerson ;)

sigmagirl91
09-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Federer the best player I'be seen :worship:

for the record I didn't see Borg, Laver or Emerson ;)

But I'm certain that you saw Wilander.

darnyelb
09-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Oh... my... god...

Poor pooor Lleyton Hewitt... he really tried that 2nd set. Federer should be called the Demoralizer on the tour.

MisterQ
09-12-2004, 10:48 PM
remarkable performance, Roger! :clap2:

Lleyton fought hard but there was little he could do. It would have been nice if he had taken that tiebreak as a "condolence prize," lol.

Jorge
09-12-2004, 10:49 PM
But I'm certain that you saw Wilander.
I was too young... but IMO roger is way better than Mat ;)

Goenitz_196
09-12-2004, 10:50 PM
C'mon, it's clear that Hewitt's game fits into Roger's style perfectly. Just like Henman's does to Hewitt. Roger's test was no doubt the Agassi match. Ever since he won that one I knew the title will be his.

sigmagirl91
09-12-2004, 10:50 PM
I was too young... but IMO roger is way better than Mat ;)

I was a teenager when that happened. It was one of the best matches I saw that year. Mats was totally dominant that year; unfortunately, complacency set in, and Mats did not win another Slam. He was a joy to watch, though.

-sOfia-
09-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Fed :worship:

you're a god of tennis!
4-0 grand slam final appearances :worship:

Auscon
09-12-2004, 10:54 PM
well, normally right now I'd be watching the final (which was on delayed telecast here by about 2 hours), which is currently in the first few games, and be able to watch it right through til the second set tiebreak on the edge of my seat, but my fucking dad came out of his room after listening to the radio and told me the score before the game had even started

Just checked the stats and it didnt look as though Lleyton played all that badly....just the service was a smidge down on his last 2 matches, so that scoreline....cant believe it

I might leave this place for a few days and come back when Fedex is done telling us he told us so :)

A great tournament Lleyton...just came up agains the best....

Goenitz_196
09-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Fed :worship:

you're a god of tennis!
4 of 4 grand slam final appearances :worship:

I didn't know he got to the final of Roland Garros before?

Layla
09-12-2004, 10:59 PM

4 slam finals - 4 trophies ;)

Fedex
09-12-2004, 10:59 PM
I wont rub it in, Auscon ;) I'm 3/3 in vcash, all bets were on Roger, so I thank you even more for Rogi for winning me so much money!! :lol: :D :banana:

Raquel
09-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Roger was just amazing today. Well done Roger!! :bounce: So happy for him, just a brilliant performance :D

I am happy for Lleyton too, he had a great run here and he has really coming back to his best :)

raghu
09-12-2004, 11:02 PM
The tennis he displayed in 1st and 3rd sets is of highest quality, I have ever seen. I am previliged to have watched it :worship: .

jmp
09-12-2004, 11:05 PM
"Start spreading the news..."

ROGER CONQUERS NY, SETS A RECORD, AND ACHIEVES ANOTHER MILESTONE!!! :worship:

Congratulations, Roger! You are a joy to watch!! :D

Lleyton Hewitt fought hard right until the end and handled his loss graciously. His actions reflected the great Aussie tradition of sportsmanship. :)

Cervantes
09-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Fedex, I wonder where Bilbo is right now, cause he seemed to have so much confidence Hewitt was gonna win it :D

On the match, first set was the best tennis ever! And well a double baggle, it's just amazing. Hewitt was completely humiliated, and rightly so!! Wonder what the score would have been if Hewitt wasn't playing "his best tennis".

azza
09-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Has Anyone noticed that any time roger has played Lleyton this year he has 6-0'd him atleats once :eek: :tape: check 2004 head to head :tape: :sad:

Cervantes
09-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Yeah, we noticed. The only question before the match was whether he would succeed again (and he has).

Mrs. B
09-12-2004, 11:08 PM
:worship:

i love the little boy in my avatar more than ever. :hearts:

Raquel
09-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Fedex, I wonder where Bilbo is right now, cause he seemed to have so much confidence Hewitt was gonna win it :D

On the match, first set was the best tennis ever! And well a double baggle, it's just amazing. Hewitt was completely humiliated, and rightly so!! Wonder what the score would have been if Hewitt wasn't playing "his best tennis".
I prefer to see the first set as Roger being brilliant rather than humiliating Lleyton as I like Lleyton too but Roger was incredible today. That first set is a new benchmark for him. Even when Roger is playing like that and it is one sided, I could never tire of it :)

Cervantes
09-12-2004, 11:22 PM
The first set, Hewitt wasn't playing bad, he was playing like his previous six matches. Only on the other side of the net was a tennisgod, who had chosen this day to show the world who's boss.

Crazy_Fool
09-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Congrats Roger, too good

Lleyton, well done, great tournament ;)

Knockers LaBroad
09-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Way too good for anyone out there!

Well done Roger!!

Well done Lleyts too! Nice to have you back where you belong! :yeah:
Unfortunately, you'll have to cut down on the wedding, with 'only' 250.000dollars!:p

rue
09-12-2004, 11:49 PM
While watching this match especially in the first set Federer was making Hewitt look like he does not know how to play tennis at all. That is just some of the most dominating tennis I have ever seen. He completely crushed Hewitt and yet Hewitt did not give up till the last point. Federer is truly something else and like Mcenroe said, he really could become the greatest player of all time with the way he is playing.

-sOfia-
09-12-2004, 11:52 PM
i didnt kno that too ;)

it wasnt really clear so i corrected it. you can read it again :) :p

Blaze
09-12-2004, 11:54 PM
He also completed the bagel Grandslam against Lleyton this year:
Aus open- Rebound ace
Hamburg - Clay
Wimbledon - grass
USO - hardcourt

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Knockers LaBroad
09-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Lleyton completed a GS too:

AO: lost to Federer, who won AO
RG: lost to Gadio
Wimby: lost to Federer
USO: lost to Federer once again....

Fedex
09-13-2004, 12:00 AM

Yes where is Bilbo the **ldo, and FreddyFucker. :) They have both left, hopefully never coming back. Lleyton has nothing to be ashamed about. Its still a rivalry atleast ;)

SLICK
09-13-2004, 12:09 AM
The score reads like a 3 course meal. The second set was the main course. Don't think Lleyton enjoyed his first and third course bagels though. :lol:

LiZpHaIr
09-13-2004, 12:09 AM
Thats great for Fed..Good Job!

but I feel so sorry for Lleyton..he really tried in the second set.

Static
09-13-2004, 12:15 AM
Congrats Roger, you peeled the potato well ;)

But well done Lleyton, you got to the final and back to your old form! :D

beauty_is_pink
09-13-2004, 12:15 AM
that was a crappy match by Hewitt.hmph!
but i adore both players so congrats to Fed! yay!

Auscon
09-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Just finished the second set

Lleytons not looking nearly as impressive as he was in his last 2 matches, but its pretty hard for anyone to appear impressive when their up against Federer

He hasnt seemed to be attacking too much, and thats what he's gotta do....cant give Roger the time that he does other players because as Roger's shown this year, pace and precision given Roger the edge in most rallys

Freddi22cl
09-13-2004, 12:24 AM
Yes where is Bilbo the **ldo, and FreddyFucker. :) They have both left, hopefully never coming back. Lleyton has nothing to be ashamed about. Its still a rivalry atleast ;)

lol, still here you little fool. Fed -1.5 sets at 5D for a nickel, moron. You see this isn't a pissin contest, its all about coin......you babble way too much with little value...........

Billabong
09-13-2004, 12:27 AM
Congrats to Rogi:banana:!!! He was awesome today:D!!!

Lleyton:sad:! Great tournament though:)!

Lisbeth
09-13-2004, 12:29 AM
I just want to say a hearty congratulations to Federer - he is really a super classy player and so spectacular to watch.

Lleyton had a great two weeks and there is no shame in losing to Federer who is far and away the best player right now. I'm sure when the disappointment wears off Lleyton will be pleased to have made a final and climbed right back up to the top few in the rankings. I look forward to many more matches between these two great players.

lizabeth..*
09-13-2004, 12:34 AM
2 bagels? Sheesh! I expected a little more from Hewitt.

Congratulations Roger...thouroughly deserved!! :woohoo: :worship:

Fergie
09-13-2004, 12:47 AM
Rogi: simply perfect :worship: :hug:

gillian
09-13-2004, 12:49 AM
The score stunned me. Didn't expect the final to be so lopsided, but, that's how good Roger has become. The talent was always there; what's different this year is the mental toughness. I'm proud of him. Also kudos to Lleyton for his excellent summer, for getting back to the final and for upping his ranking.

sigmagirl91
09-13-2004, 12:50 AM
lol, still here you little fool. Fed -1.5 sets at 5D for a nickel, moron. You see this isn't a pissin contest, its all about coin......you babble way too much with little value...........

:confused: :confused:

Did you check your grammar on this? Better yet, did you watch the match?

RogiFan88
09-13-2004, 01:30 AM
Congrat, Rogi! What a match! I thought LLeyt w do more than he did... getting double-bagelled... poor guy! Now he knows what it feels like to lose a slam final... v tough [but not as bad as poor Juanqui last yr at the USO]... even when Rogi plays less than his best, he still wins... unbelievable!

And yes, Mrs. B., I too love the little cutie in your avatar... nice speech fr Lleyt, gracious in defeat and some cute words fr Rogi [if only they'd let the winner say sth... when Rafter won it the 2nd time, thus erasing JMac's accusations of "one-slam wonder", he grabbed the mike fr the guy and said a few words cos he didn't have the chance the first time... ]

deekaye
09-13-2004, 01:45 AM
{B} I'm speechless. I guess congrats are in order, but I don't think he needs them anymore. :worship:

Poor Leyton, I feel sorry for him. That was a very nice handshake/hug though, he showed his respect and didn't sulk off.
=========

Layla - Hewitt is a great sportsman and I like to see him win any tournament where King Roger is absent! But what I really want to write about is the greatest exhibition of footwork I have ever seen on the tennis court in this U.S.Open Final,and I have seen most of the greats in the era of pro tennis. My conclusion is that R.Federer could have been a great ballet dancer if he had not chosen tennis. It is unbelievable how swiftly he can take up the optimum position to execute in any situation. Where Hewitt and Roddick and other top players huff and puff Roger is THERE,effortlessly and stealthily like a big cat. I can understand Ivan Lendl saying that Roger is the one player he would pay to watch,even if it was only to see him practise.

Deekaye

Auscon
09-13-2004, 01:50 AM
yeah, even when he has to really chase something down, when he gets to it, it just looks as though he did it easy, in his stride

WF4EVER
09-13-2004, 02:11 AM
Oh, yes, Roger does move like a ballet dancer, especially in that 'wind' match against Agassi. He just knew what he had to do to control the ball and his footwork, shots, everything showed amazing grace (no pun entended).

Roger is truly a beauty to watch and has been blessed with some amazing talents.

I was so nervous before this match because Lleyton had an impeccable record coming into the final and I know Roger hadn't played as well as I've seen him play before, but he was just wonderful, exciting, despite that dismal score for Lleyton. It was a very good match, IMO.

Going into the final there was so much history at stake. Lleyton had lost to the eventual winner in every Slam and I felt that if he hadn't made the final, Roger wouldn't have won because he wouldn't have been the one to take out Lleyton. Neither player had ever lost a Slam final 5-0 and I knew one had to have his record broken, but I am so happy for Roger because he uses his gifts well and he has become very tough now.

Even though I wanted him to win this tournament from the very beginning, when I heard Jmac say Roger would suffer a similar experience at the USo like Stefan Edberg and was not going to win the 2004 USO, I was so hoping he would to make him eat those words. I wouldn't be surprised if words like this and that fool reporter who asked him about "sneaking up and winning the title" were also motivators in Roger's determination to win here.

Go, Roger. This is your time.

Auscon
09-13-2004, 02:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if words like this and that fool reporter who asked him about "sneaking up and winning the title" were also motivators in Roger's determination to win here.

Yeah, when your the world no.1, reigning Australian Open champ and reigning 2 time Wimbledon champ, I dont think theres much sneaking to be done

TheBoiledEgg
09-13-2004, 02:40 AM
that was embarrassing out there
he was just toying with him and had his way with him :rolls:

Thats the 1st time ive ever seen Hewitt, completely useless and bereft of any ideas.

and i loved it

AgassiFan
09-13-2004, 04:08 AM
The weirdest thing is, as overmatched as he was for most of it, Hewitt had a chance to turn the match around in the 2nd set. Roger served like absolute crap and committed a slew of UE in the 3rd, 4th and 5th service games of he middle set. Hewitt had him at:

0-30 but blew two routine forehands in the 3rd serve game.
30-40 but blew a routine backhand in the 4th serve game

Before finally breaking Roger in the 5th serve game. If Leyton doesn't choke on those crucial points and converts one more break chance, he wins the set 6-4 or 6-3. Breaking Federer twice combined with Roger getting increasingly pissed off at his own drop of play AND the kind of support the crowd would have given Hewitt had he pulled through in the 2nd, I honestly think it would have been a bloody battle probably going 5.

Fortunately, Hewitt couldn't capitalize on many gifts Roger gave him in the 2nd set, eventually losing the tie-breaker. From that point on, up 2 sets to none, the latter loosened up considerably and that was that for Hewitt.

Skyward
09-13-2004, 04:13 AM
AgassiFan, there's no " what if-s" in sports. You forgot to mention that at 4-2 second set Roger had Llleyton at 0-40.

AgassiFan
09-13-2004, 04:28 AM
Oh and what's up with Hewitt testing Roger's forehand so damn much? At one point in the 2nd set, Roger wasn't timing the ball all that well from the backhand side and what does Heweitt do? Pounds it for a little and then inexplicably hits into Federer's forehand wheelhouse, with invariably dire outcome. Variety is one thing; constantly challenging Federer's strenght after he has beaten you into submission from that side time and time again, is just plain dumb.

Then again, Hewitt trying the ill-advised lob back-to-back on a big point wasn't much smarter, either. He lacks the touch and Roger was too far from the net, not to mention too tall and quick, for it to work.

Reminds me of the moronic slice/drop-shots that almost cost Dementieva and Kuznetzova their respective SF matches against Capriati and Devenport. They lost 80 % of the points where they attempted to "surprise" and "finesse" their opponents after knocking them from side to side with deep power shots. It's, like, hello this ain't Rolan Garros, girls! Decoturf, right?

In general, Roger stands out from the rest in his decision-making and composure, if anything else. Everybody else looks like a bluffing moron by comparison. Seriously.

AgassiFan
09-13-2004, 04:46 AM
AgassiFan, there's no " what if-s" in sports. .

Oh there is always a "what if", in sport or otherwise. Just because some are too lazy to think about them, does not mean they don't exist/matter.

A keen observer can often pinpoint the moment where the entire complexion of the match could have/would have changed - yes, even in "blow-outs", though obviously it's much more common in wire-tight matches like the Agassi-Federer QF than the 6-0, 7-6, 6-0 affairs. Nevertheless.

Leyton got quite a few gift chances in 3 consecutive serve games and was barely able to covert on one of them - and only after many 'deuces'. He didn't step up when Roger was vulnerable.

You forgot to mention that at 4-2 second set Roger had Llleton at 0-40

I didn't forget anything, it's just not relevant since my point is NOT that Hewitt was better than Roger or that he even "deserved" the 2nd set......BUT merely that he had a TON of gift-chances in 3 consecutive Federer service games in that set, but lost his composure on fairly routine shots.

And you just can't let Federer off the hook like that. Once he secured the 2nd set tie-breaker, the match was effectively over.

chris whiteside
09-13-2004, 04:52 AM
In retrospect, maybe Henman's defeat doesn't look so bad now. I think everybody has to admit that Federer is now awesome and in a class of his own compared to all the other players. It is hard to see who is going to beat him in the Slams except perhaps at RG.

But is such dominance going to be good for men's tennis in general? If he now wins everything is boredom not going to set in for the public? Just as for many outside of his real fans, Sampras' domination of Wimbledon during the 90s destroyed much of the interest in the event.

Skyward
09-13-2004, 05:06 AM
Oh there is always a "what if", in sport or otherwise. Just because some are too lazy to think about them, does not mean they don't exist/matter.

What's your point? What if Lleyton broke, what if he did not use the lob, what if he did not miss fh... Roger would be pissed off, the'y'd go to the 5th set ... blah.. blah... It's your pure imagination, your wishfull thinking. Nobody knows what could have happened.

AgassiFan
09-13-2004, 05:08 AM
But is such dominance going to be good for men's tennis in general? If he now wins everything is boredom not going to set in for the public? Just as for many outside of his real fans, Sampras' domination of Wimbledon during the 90s destroyed much of the interest in the event

You just never know.

One day you're winning 3 slams a year. The next you're forced out of the game with a degenerative hip conditition, a bulged disk or a foot that just won't heal (hi, Martina!).

Roger and his fans should just enjoy it one slam at a time and not take this for granted. All it takes is one awkward step or a dive-volley.....

liptea
09-13-2004, 05:11 AM
In retrospect, maybe Henman's defeat doesn't look so bad now.

It's really sad when we start thinking that a straight set demolishing of the number 5 seed isn't "so bad." :rolleyes:

Skyward
09-13-2004, 05:14 AM
Roger and his fans should just enjoy it one slam at a time and not take this for granted. All it takes is one awkward step or a dive-volley.....

Roger has said it himself today

" Well, you know, it's a very demanding sport. The season is long. There's not much time off. So this is why I'm very grateful, you know, every tournament or every Grand Slam now especially I win. You never know when is your last because one injury, whatever it takes, and the career is destroyed, you know.

So I'm conscious of that. I'm taking care of it as good as I can. But obviously I would like to stay at the top as long as possible. I would like to win more majors and more tournaments. But only time will tell really. I'll do everything I can to stay where I am."

AgassiFan
09-13-2004, 05:22 AM
What's your point? .

My point has been explained and suffieciently qualified/clarified in several posts, meathead.

your wishfull thinking.

Oh ya....I forgot I wasn't a Federer fan (since juniors, btw, not like most bandwagoners here) and a Hewitt-hater. Turns out, it's the other way around, uh-huh? :rolleyes:

Nobody knows what could have happened

I know all, beyotch. All.

*Ljubica*
09-13-2004, 05:28 AM
Congratulations Roger - you are the best player in the world at the moment :worship: And also to Lleyton for being a great sport and gracious in defeat.

Skyward
09-13-2004, 05:33 AM
My point has been explained and suffieciently qualified/clarified in several posts, meathead.

It's ok to analyze the match and point out some turning points. But "what if" scenarios of what could have happened is just waste of time, imo.

Oh ya....I forgot I wasn't a Federer fan (since juniors, btw, not like most bandwagoners here) and a Hewitt-hater. Turns out, it's the other way around, uh-huh? :rolleyes:

I know all, beyotch. All.

I could care less whose fan(hater) you are. But thanks for the information anyway.

Good night. :zzz:

Daniel
09-13-2004, 07:33 AM
Well done Roger :yeah: U r simply the best :worship:

PerezRoldan
09-13-2004, 08:48 AM
That was a great performance by Roger, and I have never seen Hewitt look so bad out there. I doubt whether he will get 2 bagels against him in a match again, but really it was the Roger Federer show, and Hewitt was very classy in defeat, and just realised no matter what he did, wasn't good enough.

oxy
09-13-2004, 09:03 AM
i think this match actually changes my opinion of hewitt....i think he has mature so much....well done to both players.....rogi is simply fantastic and well lleyton better luck next time...

crimson
09-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Roger - congratulations :worship: This has been an amazing year for you and you deserve all your success. :) I'm so happy for you. :)

Credit also to Lleyton for being very gracious in defeat and well done to him for getting back into the top three this year. :)

tegan
09-13-2004, 11:32 AM
unbelievable Roger!! :worship:

what a great year...today the USO --- tomorrow the world!! :lol: (oh wait, you have all of those too... - well, except the FO.) :lol:

~EMiLiTA~
09-13-2004, 11:36 AM
yeah, this is a totally weird scoreline...but I agree with u guys in that Lleyton didn't play THAT badly...Rogi was just too good. And, even though I'm by no means a Lleyton fan, I have to say I was impressed by how sporting he was at the end. Congrats to Rogi...he's simply the best!

Lalitha
09-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Why did Roger played such a bad 2nd set?

lol, anyway - Congratulations to Roger. :worship:

baseline ace
09-13-2004, 11:56 AM
That was a great performance by Roger, and I have never seen Hewitt look so bad out there. I doubt whether he will get 2 bagels against him in a match again, but really it was the Roger Federer show, and Hewitt was very classy in defeat, and just realised no matter what he did, wasn't good enough.

This just about sums it up. The Hewitt of a few years ago appears to be gone. He was very classy in defeat even though you know it was killing him. Roger made him look horrible out there. Congrats to Roger. And Lleyton, no one could've beaten Roger the way he played. I think Lleyton will be in the final again.

RexEverything
09-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Maybe this is a good suggestion (from tennis-x.com) so that Feds finally has some worthy opponents again:

Is there a universe-level tennis tour Federer could graduate to, one where he could represent the Earth?

LMAO

Auscon
09-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Maybe this is a good suggestion (from tennis-x.com) so that Feds finally has some worthy opponents again:

Is there a universe-level tennis tour Federer could graduate to, one where he could represent the Earth?

LMAO

Theres some dude on Pluto that could put Federer on the backfoot.....I hear he's one cold competitor

*boom-tish*

WyveN
09-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Theres some dude on Pluto that could put Federer on the backfoot

Only if the Pluto guy gets home ground advantage, Will take Roger at least a set to get used to the different level of gravity

Aleksa's Laydee
09-13-2004, 01:31 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: oooo hewwie!!!

Hagar
09-13-2004, 03:31 PM

LMAO

Well, they must have some guys out there in space who have four legs and are 2,5m tall.

tennischick
09-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Federer proves a class apart in demolition job

Stephen Bierley in New York
Monday September 13, 2004

Roger Federer became the first man since Sweden's Mats Wilander in 1988 to win three grand slam titles in a calendar year when he beat Australia's Lleyton Hewitt 6-0, 7-6, 6-0 in their US Open day-night final here yesterday.

Earlier this year Federer won the Australian Open and the Wimbledon crown and by beating Hewitt the Swiss world No1 became the first male player in the open era to win his opening four grand slam finals, including last year's Wimbledon.

The primeval roar of triumph when he defeated Andre Agassi over five sets in the quarter-finals signalled it as Federer's most critical victory over the last fortnight. He easily defeated Tim Henman in Saturday's semi-final and he put the skids under Hewitt after an epic second set.

Hewitt had led Federer 8-5 coming into the final, the most extraordinary of these victories coming in the Davis Cup semi-final last year in Melbourne when Hewitt was two sets down before famously winning 5-7, 2-6, 7-6, 7-5, 6-1.

Since that defeat Federer has held the upper hand, winning their previous three matches before yesterday's final, including a fourth-round win in the Australian Open on the same Rod Laver centre court and again in the fourth round of Wimbledon.

"There is no more fear but I respect him as a great player and a great competitor," said Federer. The one thing he did not want to happen yesterday was to be moved around from left to right and back again for five hours. With this in mind he began at an astonishing level, winning the opening set 6-0 in 18 minutes.

Perhaps it was to be expected for Federer has won one set 6-0 in each of their other three matches this year. It was the sort of domination that Pete Sampras imposed on Agassi at the beginning of their 1999 Wimbledon final which Sampras won in straight sets. The fact that Federer made such an exhilarating start was, as with Sampras, a tribute to his opponent.

There has been a considerable improvement in the Australian's serve but such was the standard of Federer's early play that he broke Hewitt's first four service games. Not until he was 6-0, 2-0 down did Hewitt, who like Federer is 23, finally get his name on the scoreboard. It was not that he was playing badly, simply that Federer's form was awesome. The 23,000 crowd erupted on the half-hour as if Hewitt had won the match rather than his first game.

Hewitt drew deeply from his water bottle and fiddled with the gold chain around his neck on the change-over, hoping this was something to build on rather than a brief respite. The Australian had won both his previous grand slam finals in straight sets, against Sampras three years ago and against Argentina's David Nalbandián at Wimbledon in 2002.

"You're always trying to find out a way to counteract Roger but it's so difficult to do," said Henman, "and since he won Wimbledon for the first time his confidence has grown and grown. He's setting the standards for everybody right now."

The frustrations for Hewitt grew in the second set when he had a break point on the Federer serve only to be bombarded with three consecutive aces. Immediately his own serve was on the rack again but he clung on from 0-40. The Beatles' Ticket to Ride blared out at the change-over although a Hard Day's Night might have been more appropriate for Hewitt.

There were a few more signs of mortality in Federer's next service game but at 30-40, with the court open, Hewitt's backhand clipped the net and went wide. Two more aces and the Swiss was a game away from the second set. Federer's level had dropped from the first set - he could hardly have raised it - and the Australian was fighting to his physical limits, which are considerable.

For the third service game in succession Hewitt troubled Federer, whose first serve had gone missing. Two chances evaded him, then a third when the Swiss manufactured a superb forehand cross-court. But at the fourth attempt the Australian succeeded, Federer hitting a backhand wide for 5-5. It was a huge game for Hewitt that lasted only five minutes less than the whole first set.

Hewitt had been plugging away at Federer's weaker side, the backhand, to great effect but in the tie-break the world No1 rediscovered his first serve. He was clearly edgy, although disappointingly it was Hewitt's level that dropped, Federer winning the tie-break 7-3 in a second set last 68 minutes.

And that was that. Federer rushed through the third set in 25 minutes, almost a replica of the first. Hewitt, like Henman had tried his best, but Federer is currently a class apart from everyone

AgassiFan
09-13-2004, 06:19 PM
It was the sort of domination that Pete Sampras imposed on Agassi at the beginning of their 1999 Wimbledon final

6-3, 6-4, 7-5 is hardly what I call "domination". Sampras had the serving game of his life, which rendered him pretty much unbeatable that day, but as soon as the ball was in play, the two players were pretty even.

Which is different from Hewitt-Federer match where outside of those 2 games at the end of the middle set, Federer was lapping Hewitt.

landoud
09-13-2004, 08:16 PM
federer deserved the title... hewitt was soooooooo scared like a frightened turtel

tennischick
09-13-2004, 09:44 PM
6-3, 6-4, 7-5 is hardly what I call "domination". Sampras had the serving game of his life, which rendered him pretty much unbeatable that day, but as soon as the ball was in play, the two players were pretty even.

Which is different from Hewitt-Federer match where outside of those 2 games at the end of the middle set, Federer was lapping Hewitt.
i agree. in fact i can't stand the comparisons to the Android. Federer's game is so much more evolved than the Android's ever was. in fact the problem may be that there is really no-one to compare him to. he's in a class by himself.

Jorge
09-14-2004, 12:22 AM
i agree. in fact i can't stand the comparisons to the Android. Federer's game is so much more evolved than the Android's ever was. in fact the problem may be that there is really no-one to compare him to. he's in a class by himself.
I'm agree with you, TC. there's no point of comparison between Roger "the elegant" and that "android" called Pete
;)

Iheartandy&roger
09-14-2004, 03:19 AM
Wow I can't believe this wasn't a closer game.... oh well Rogi won it so I won't complain but I wish there would have been more of a game! I mean they might as well have called the game early wen Rogi was up like 4-0 in the third set lol...

loveit
09-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Congratulations to Roger.....always the classy competitor. I have also changed my opinion of Hewitt just as oxy and several others have said. I think he has matured a great deal on the court.

Vincent
09-14-2004, 02:37 PM
I feel so sorry for Lleyton, I would cry myself to sleep if I were him... :sad:

Experimentee
09-15-2004, 06:21 AM
Roger :worship:

That was so awesome i have no words for it. First time I have ever seen such a thing in a Grand Slam final! Hewitt had no chance. I thought Roger would be nervous but i was so wrong!
Roger had 0-40 at 4-2 in the 2nd set, if he'd broken there it might have been 6-0 6-2 6-0 :eek: Incredible to think about that. And this is against someone who had won the last 22 matches, arguably the hottest player on tour.

Experimentee
09-15-2004, 06:24 AM

Yes but the serve is part of the game, and he was dominating Andre on serve. Thats like saying Roger would not have dominated Hewitt if you took away his great FH, you cant just do that.

Experimentee
09-15-2004, 06:26 AM
Why did Roger played such a bad 2nd set?

lol, anyway - Congratulations to Roger. :worship:

Because no one can keep up that level of tennis for 3 sets, you have to go off the boil sometime. Normally Roger can keep up an amazing level for one set, then go off, but today he did it in two sets. The great thing about Roger was that he still won the set even though he was playing bad, then managed to pick his game up another level in the 3rd set.

bubbliscious
09-15-2004, 01:08 PM
Roger was just a couple of levels higher than Lleyton who couldn't play his game and so had little chance to bother the "Alien". Winning 3 Slams out of 4 in the same year on the men's tour is nothing but extraordinary ! He's such a pleasure to watch when he's "flying" all over the court mastering all the effects you could have in your technical side. I really wonder who'll be able to stop him after what he's shown us @ the US Open ...

YoursTruly
09-15-2004, 01:15 PM
That was really cool from Roger!!!

haas'luv
09-16-2004, 03:10 AM
They aint in the same level. :devil: Roger is quality :worship:
roger rulez :angel:

AgassiFan
09-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Yes but the serve is part of the game, and he was dominating Andre on serve. Thats like saying Roger would not have dominated Hewitt if you took away his great FH, you cant just do that.

Apples and oranges.

In 1999, Pete had the serving game of his life and bailed himself out of every jam (twice love-40) either with a clean or "unclean" (where the ball is returned for an easy kill) ace. But Agassi was beating him soundly on HIS serve games as well and had won more baseline rallies. The problem was, Andre didn't have the luxury of having as many "cheap" points on his serve and that cost him dearly on a couple of break-point opportunities Pete capitalized on, while he couldn't quite convert on his break-chances.

Roger, on the other hand, completely "dominated" Hewitt outside of that awful service game at the end of the 2nd set. If Pete was serving against Andre in 1999 the way Roger was serving against Hewitt, he'd gotten broken faster than you could say "passing shot" and probably would have lost the match. Alas, he was serving like a god and Andre wasn't. On grass, that's everything.

Pete ended up being "better" (if only by a few points) than Andre that day. Roger "dominated" Hewitt, even bageling him twice. There is a difference.

makro120
09-16-2004, 10:02 PM
In the 69 matches Hewitt has not played against Federer this season he has not been bageled 1 time and we are talking about almost 200 sets beeing played! In almost 200 sets and 69 matches no one could bagel Hewitt, he simply doesn't give up one single game in his sets, he refuses to be bageled!

Against Federer he has been bageled in all his 4 matches against his season and 5 times in 13 sets!

How about that, it is unreal!

BaselineSmash
09-16-2004, 10:32 PM
In the 69 matches Hewitt has not played against Federer this season he has not been bageled 1 time and we are talking about almost 200 sets beeing played! In almost 200 sets and 69 matches no one could bagel Hewitt, he simply doesn't give up one single game in his sets, he refuses to be bageled!

Against Federer he has been bageled in all his 4 matches against his season and 5 times in 13 sets!

How about that, it is unreal!

Do we really need to reiterate it for the umpteenth time?

Well, probably. :eek:

heya
09-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Safin, Gonzo, Gaudio - '02-'04 Paris, Hamburg, Roland Garros