Tennis Fool
09-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Sorry Esquimaux. Had to borrow from you :tape:

Mr. Man
09-12-2004, 10:41 PM
No.

alfonsojose
09-12-2004, 10:42 PM
He could play mixed doubles with Kim and take care of the mini belgium potatoes ;)

Knockers LaBroad
09-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Sure he should!
Being the houseman is all he can do...

Yami Marick
09-12-2004, 11:14 PM
No way! Hewitt is quite possibly the second best player in the world. Let's see

1. Only 23 and still has lots to prove
2. Lost to the best ever in a final
3. Tried his best, and played some amazing tennis
4. Had only lost 3 sets in the entire US Open
5. Looks Cool
6. Fans like him
7. Australia's tennis savior
8. 2001 US Open Champion
9. Has the best summer of everyone in the majors
10. Really enjoys tennis
11. Is cool, and charismatic
12. Brings joy into the game of tennis, and makes it more fun to watch
13. Has a great personality
14. Has become filthy rich by playing tennis
15. Probably knocked Roddick out of the number 2 spot
16. Has many titles, and championships
17. Is in his best shape right now, and one of the best in the tour now
18. Has an ever growing fanclub
19. According to my predictions, he has another 11 years to play tennis
20. Why should he retire?

superpinkone37
09-12-2004, 11:15 PM
no he shouldnt retire

Tennis Fool
09-12-2004, 11:16 PM
BTW, this is a joke thread borrowed from WTAWorld. Please, no one get mad :o

Cervantes
09-12-2004, 11:17 PM
I'd like to think he should, but he can probably be #2 in the world for a couple of years to come and he might even win a TMS when Federer chooses to rest for a week. So, no, I guess.

sol
09-12-2004, 11:23 PM
No, Lleyton is a great fighter, but Roger was today in the zone. Awesome Roger…
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley-flag/smiley-3326.png

timofy
09-12-2004, 11:25 PM
yes, after andy does

Crazy_Fool
09-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Yeh, why not :)

Just lost in a slam final, pretty pathetic ;)

Fedex
09-12-2004, 11:44 PM
No. I think Alexandra Stevenson should, though. :tape: :p :devil:

Crazy_Fool
09-12-2004, 11:48 PM
No. I think Alexandra Stevenson should, though. :tape: :p :devil:
She's not retired already :confused:

Sjengster
09-12-2004, 11:49 PM
I actually felt sorry for Hewitt afterwards during the presentation, having to listen to more cliched platitudes about his speed and heart and attempts to cheer him up by mentioning his extra prize money as the US Open Series winner - not something I've ever felt before, and would never have imagined possible yesterday when I watched him double fist-pump at the court after winning against Johansson. That's how amazing Federer's performance was.

That said, a very close scrutiny of the match suggests he could have done certain things better. A great start from Federer, yes, but he was helped by 40% first serves from Hewitt, two double faults to drop serve twice when he'd only been broken four times in the tournament (less than half as many times as his opponent) and frequent poor length on his groundstrokes allowing Federer to dominate the rallies instantly. It was notable that once he knuckled down and became his usual brick wall midway through the second set it immediately made Federer anxious and forced him into error. When you pin Federer deep onto his backhand side and test his consistency on that wing, you get a lot of reward. Too many times though, over-anxiety and trying to go for the lines cost Hewitt, e.g. the backhand missed at 4-3 in the second on breakpoint which would have got him back into the match far more easily than the way he had to in Federer's next service game at 5-4.

His real problem is that Federer can do most things as well as him, the speed, the defence and the consistent returning, while also doing a whole lot more when it comes to aggression. Hewitt needs to get more penetration on either his serve or off the ground, because apart from perhaps Coria on a fast surface I can't imagine any other top player being bagelled by Federer five times in one year.

Lisbeth
09-13-2004, 12:42 AM
:haha:

Well a few months ago people were suggesting this for real - but if everyone who lost to Federer retired, well, Fed would be the only one on tour. They'd have to put up a wall so he could play matches against himself.

sigmagirl91
09-13-2004, 12:44 AM
No, I don't think Hewitt should retire. That decision should be made by him and him alone. And losing one Grand Slam final is not a good enough reason to contemplate retirement, in my opinion.

Lee
09-13-2004, 01:20 AM
:haha:

Well a few months ago people were suggesting this for real - but if everyone who lost to Federer retired, well, Fed would be the only one on tour. They'd have to put up a wall so he could play matches against himself.

Just no second serve for Federer ;)

Auscon
09-13-2004, 01:30 AM
give it another 10 years and maybe we can start talking about retirement

And I dont think Lleyton would even consider it until he gets an Aussie Open crown :)

¿esquímaux?
09-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Sorry Esquimaux. Had to borrow from you :tape:

:lol::D;)

misyou25
09-13-2004, 09:50 AM
as if. he is the best even if he lost. his head was off court.