Aussie free-to-air gets a weekly tennis show! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Aussie free-to-air gets a weekly tennis show!

Auscon
09-12-2004, 06:21 AM
http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/default.aspx?id=4&PageID=8390

Slam! Road to the Australian Open...to run from October 3, screening weekly leading up to the Aussie Open

hosted by Josh Eagle, Andrew Florent, Sandon Stolle

About time!

Kristen
09-12-2004, 06:29 AM
As if I needed this! I don't know if it'll keep me calm in the lead up to the aus open, or make me even more excited :lol:

My fingers are crossed it isnt purely Aussies loving Aussies. I can tolerate it if it's about 60% pro-Australia, I'm just hoping they talk about people that arent in the top ten every now and then.

Ferrero Forever
09-12-2004, 08:58 AM
thank god aussie tv has finally done something right, but i'm sure there will be no mention of non aussie players

trixy
09-12-2004, 11:00 AM
woohoo...I can't wait till the aussie open!!! I'm like dying of excitement.

~EMiLiTA~
09-12-2004, 02:13 PM
oh what great news!!! FINALLY something tennis-related on the tv!!! This is just gonna pump me up even more for the Aus Open now...can't wait! Only 4 months to go!!!

FryslanBoppe
09-12-2004, 02:50 PM
I will be down there for the Aus Open, and that's where all the money for me has been going.

It's a great tournament and a festive atmosphere, something the US Open wishes it had.

Experimentee
09-12-2004, 06:13 PM
About time! I remember when they had the ATP Tennis show on the ABC, as well as TMS coverage, but they stopped that. Finally something tennis-related when no Slams or DC are on.
Hopefully it wont just be about Aussies. I saw Sandon Stolle do little pieces for the Channel 7 coverage a few years back and it was good, he was very funny, so hopefully its more of the same.

FryslanBoppe: I agree about the Aussie Open. Its the only Slam I've been to but I think its got the most energy and atmosphere out of all the Slams, just judging by TV coverage of all the rest. Your money is well spent :)

rassklovn
09-12-2004, 06:17 PM
About time! I remember when they had the ATP Tennis show on the ABC, as well as TMS coverage, but they stopped that. Finally something tennis-related when no Slams or DC are on.
Hopefully it wont just be about Aussies. I saw Sandon Stolle do little pieces for the Channel 7 coverage a few years back and it was good, he was very funny, so hopefully its more of the same.

FryslanBoppe: I agree about the Aussie Open. Its the only Slam I've been to but I think its got the most energy and atmosphere out of all the Slams, just judging by TV coverage of all the rest. Your money is well spent :)

Sandon Stolle is a good bloke and hopefully this show will be a good one.

Don't forget that FB will be coming from Scandinavia to watch the Open, and I have been there as well and the other Slams apart from the US Open, and it's definitely a great tournament, though McNamee is a bit of a wanker.

azza
09-12-2004, 06:26 PM
thank god aussie tv has finally done something right, but i'm sure there will be no mention of non aussie players

i concur i bet all they will talk about in Aussie is Lleyton and Mark and the rest federer Roddick :retard: and wait whats that Aussie girl in top 20 :scratch:

Smankyou
09-13-2004, 07:05 AM
Go free-to-air. Hopefully they'll keep to WTA portion of the program to a minimum.

and that's where all the money for me has been going.

Money well spent.

FryslanBoppe
09-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Money well spent.

Been there 3x before and love going back to Australia, especially the Open.

lizabeth..*
09-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Hmmm well I'm quite content with my cable tv :lol: But this is good - I got a letter in the mail about it the other day but it didn't say too much. Hopefully its worth watching.

Bring on the AO :banana:

esther
09-13-2004, 10:43 AM
liz why did u get a letter in the mail about it?!!!! and why didnt i?!! lol
i'm a bit skeptical about it...ten bucks it'll be australian-obsessed or americanised...hope i'm proved wrong!

~EMiLiTA~
09-13-2004, 12:30 PM
yes, that's the only thing I'm worried about too...only focussing on Aussies, Americans and women...a bit like the stupid Australian tennis magazine...fingers crossed they show us some EUROPEAN men too

Auscon
09-13-2004, 12:40 PM
yes, that's the only thing I'm worried about too...only focussing on Aussies, Americans and women...a bit like the stupid Australian tennis magazine...fingers crossed they show us some EUROPEAN men too

Only just started buying that (grabbed the last 2)

Not sure if I'll keep buying them though, but what I really like is the availability of back issues....I think I might grab some back from when Rafter won his uso titles, made the wimbledon finals, and also maybe some of Cash, and Lleytons 01/02 titles

lizabeth..*
09-13-2004, 02:17 PM
liz why did u get a letter in the mail about it?!!!! and why didnt i?!! lol
i'm a bit skeptical about it...ten bucks it'll be australian-obsessed or americanised...hope i'm proved wrong!

Hmmmm I get a letter every year...:lol: I don't know why....I think it was from when I brought tickets a few years back *shrugs*

As for the Aus tennis magazine....there are only SO many articles that can be written about Flip/Hewitt/Williams sisters/Sharapova/Navratilova :rolleyes:

lizabeth..*
09-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Ohh...and Todd Reid. Ohh yes.

Via
09-14-2004, 01:25 AM
this is the full article, for those of you who didn't seem to have clicked on the link ;)

The countdown to Australian Open 2005 begins on Seven with the premiere of SLAM! ROAD TO THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN on Sunday October 3.

SLAM! ROAD TO THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN is a new tennis show which will screen weekly in the lead up to the Centenary Australian Open (January 17 - 30).

The first program will go to air at 11am, before moving to a regular 12 noon slot from Sunday October 10. The show will be hosted by recently retired tour players Josh Eagle, Andrew Florent and Sandon Stolle.

SLAM! will be an informative look at the world of tennis, with a particular focus on Australian Open 2005.

As well as an in-depth look at the WTA & ATP Tours, SLAM! will present exclusive interviews with tennis legends like John McEnroe, Martina Navratilova and Mats Wilander, and a host of modern day stars.

Producer Harvey Silver envisages SLAM! to have endless potential. Says Silver "Tennis is one of Australia's most successful sports, with the popularity and profiles of many tennis stars transcending their sport. "

Australian TV currently has 14 weekly shows dedicated to Aussie Rules and only one for tennis, so we believe we are filling a gaping hole in the current sports coverage."

SLAM! ROAD TO THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN Premieres on Seven on Sunday October 3 at 11am.

if there's just ten minutes devoted to modern day 'international' stars, particularly those who are doing well that week, that it would be heavenly... though it sounds to me that it has been produced for the aus open so unlikely to have any weekly spotlight kind of news.

and where is that one current weekly show for tennis???

Auscon
09-14-2004, 04:22 AM
and where is that one current weekly show for tennis???

I thought that they were including this new show as the 'one' tennis show

Ferrero Forever
09-14-2004, 07:44 AM
yes, trust me there is NO weekly show as yet. i can't wait for this show

Kristen
09-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Maybe they mean sbs toyota world sports :tape: joking... Although it seems that TWS is the only show that is willing to give us some visual images of a tennis match, rather than simply scorelines!

~EMiLiTA~
09-14-2004, 02:41 PM
yes, I agree...I wish they'd bring back that old ATP tennis show on ABC, I used to love that...in Australia tennis doesn't really exist unless you're talking about 3 weeks in January

Ferrero Forever
09-15-2004, 07:33 AM
YES, and then it just disappears, sure we get wimby and the US open, but they're on so late at night. They are the 3 best weeks of the year though.

lizabeth..*
09-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Maybe they mean sbs toyota world sports :tape: joking... Although it seems that TWS is the only show that is willing to give us some visual images of a tennis match, rather than simply scorelines!

Perhaps they mean the ATP show on Foxtel now? Cos there is definately no other tennis show an TV besides that.