Well it wasn't a new losing technique but it was a good one nonetheless. Bye HC Seaso [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Well it wasn't a new losing technique but it was a good one nonetheless. Bye HC Seaso

Pages : 1 [2]

tsurupettan
08-20-2010, 07:22 PM
well, mardy won (:woohoo: :hug: fishy!). now just to see how andy fares against djoko.

eta: andy and mardy. wheee!

but those last few games in the djokovic match were just pretty facepalm-worthy. for a moment i was thinking it was gonna go to a tb.

ha, andy knows that djokovic played pretty poorly today.

partygirl
08-20-2010, 09:05 PM
It's the hat, It's gotta be the hat.:p

Jade Fox
08-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Andy is 28-7 in Cincinnati....the most of any active player.

Well, that's okay, I guess. ;)

This was just a popcorn match for me. Now he needs to make the final. Or else. :mad:

tsurupettan
08-20-2010, 09:07 PM
This was just a popcorn match for me. Now he needs to make the final. Or else. :mad:

mte. tho, i wouldn't mind if mardy won, either. he's been having such an awesome summer. and even better that he took out murray here 'cause i don't like the odds if it had been an all-andy semi. now with mardy and andy, i'll be pretty happy with whoever wins.

partygirl
08-20-2010, 09:08 PM
This is why i hardly care about ranking or the F-ing draw ever, especially on a hard court.
Andy can beat anyone as long as he is standing up right & his head is in the game. :)

tangerine_dream
08-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I do believe Andy is back in the top ten after this win. :)

arodfanpe666o
08-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Such a warrior! After the mono, to come back like this, it is amazing. I'm so proud to be Andy fan right now!

The last 2 wins should be great for his confidence.

Heather1229
08-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, well. Glad to see he won, glad he's back in the top 10.

Fumus
08-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Hello top 10 and possibly 8th seed at the open? Where does getting to the final put him?

Kate87
08-20-2010, 10:27 PM
he's #9 now, #8 if he wins tomorrow, #7 if he wins the tourney :p

Heather1229
08-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Then he better win the whole thing! :) The first time he won Cincy, he won the Open and the last time he won Cincy he made it to the final of the Open. Getting ahead of myself here...

andymo
08-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Andy beat no 5 and no 3. He is back in business. So proud of him. His confidence is back but I am worried for him with his match vs Fish. He must not see him as a friend but as an opponent.

Deboogle!.
08-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Yay Andy! Please play better, it sounds like today was not too great....
==========================
WESTERN & SOUTHERN FINANCIAL GROUP MASTERS

August 19, 2010

Andy Roddick

CINCINNATI, OHIO

A. RODDICK/R. Soderling
6-4, 6-7, 7-6

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You had a couple of animated discussions with the chair umpire tonight. Was that about him not overruling when he should've?
ANDY RODDICK: It had nothing to do with that specific instance. First and foremost, let me say that Robin didn't hear the call because it was a very meek call; therefore you didn't challenge quickly. Completely understandable.
So my only thing is he thought he won the point, went back to his towel, came back, and then we heard the score, and then there was a challenge. So my simple question was, how long -- I've seen umpires go, No, you took too long before, and they won't let 'em challenge. So all I wanted was a number on what's too long to challenge.
They said, Timely manner. I said, What's a timely manner? Just it's at my judgment. Just give me a number. That's all I want is a number.
You know, I ended up badgering him to where he said ten seconds, and then I just had another discussion with some other people from the ATP, and they said, Well, until the other guy serves. I said, Well that's like 22 seconds.
So we're talking about a 12-second differential between know one knows. That's it. I mean, I'm not asking for like a miracle. I'm just asking for -- and someone else suggested that why don't the hawk eye people just start a thing and have a buzzer go off when you can't challenge anymore if someone is thinking about it.
I don't think you should be able to look at marks and do the whole thing. We all do it; we're all guilty of it because we can, but I don't think we should be able to. That was my only thing, was that I couldn't get a flippin' answer on what's a timely manner. Just give me a definition of that. So we just talked each other in circles for an entire switchover.

Q. Yesterday was solid; today was -- fill-in the blank.
ANDY RODDICK: Sorry?

Q. Yesterday was solid; today was?
ANDY RODDICK: It was pretty good. Um, you know, most of it, the first set and a half was really, really good. Played a loose game there and then didn't play a great tiebreaker. Again, kept it together in the third and was able to get through. I thought I served pretty well and returned pretty well.
I think each match is getting a little better.

Q. When was the last time you would have felt as well about how you played as you did today?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I played pretty well yesterday. But I don't know. It's been a little while. I mean, it's been a struggle, so...
To put three good matches together here was extremely necessary fore going into the US Open. If I had gone out first, second round here, that would not have been very good.

Q. With respect to being on the sidelines for a little bit of an extended period of time, you had a night match tonight, and obviously a day match tomorrow. Any concerns about the quick turnaround time?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, well, they gave a not before 2:00. With the match at 7:00, not before 4:00 would have been super. Two hours doesn't make much sense, but it does in the grand scheme of it.
So, yeah, especially with what I've been going through, I'm a little concern about it. You know, probably not thrilled. I certainly understand their position, though. They have to announce the lineup to the world, the global media, by a certain time. They can't wait on a result to dictate that.
It's unfortunate, but I certainly understand their predicament as well.

Q. What does a match like this do for your confidence, not only for the rest of this tournament, but going into the US Open?
ANDY RODDICK: It's good. Any time you beat a guy that's 5 in the world -- you know, beat a couple guys top 40 and then a guy 5 back-to-back-to-back, it's good thing. Especially a couple of tight ones. All three of them were pretty tight. That's what you're looking for. I came here with not a whole a lot of expectation. This probably exceeds what my confidence level was coming in.
So I'm gonna leave this tournament, regardless of what happens, a lot more confident than I came. That's the first time I've been able to say that for a little bit.

Q. Talk about Robin's serve. Obviously he serves as hard as you do. It didn't look like he was mixing it up maybe as much as you; is that a true assessment?
ANDY RODDICK: Well he probably hits it harder. You know, he consistently probably hits it harder. It's a flatter serve, you know, therefore I think I have a little bit more movement on mine. Slice tailing away may be the other thing.
But he serves big. There were a couple times there I think when I had match points I guessed the right way, you know, and still didn't get it. If he hits a spot at 137 going the other way, you know, he's dictating to you a lot of the time.

Q. Sounds like a silly question, but you have a one-two combo with your first and second serve, maybe the best on tour, why do you and other guys take something off the second serve simply to get it in knowing that you've then reduced your chance of winning the point? We've actually crunched the numbers, and it actually comes out the other way sometimes.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, because it's normally a 50/50 proposition. The average first serve percentage on tour is what, 55? You know, that's basically -- here is the difference, okay.

Q. But you're winning 75% of those points.
ANDY RODDICK: I understand that. I'm gonna explain it to you. Blackjack is what, about a 50/50 game? But you normally play until you go caput, correct? So all it takes is all of a sudden you're -- two double faults in a row and you're Love-30. If sports were played on a stat sheet, you know, the look of it would probably be a lot different.
One thing you're not putting into consideration with the numbers is nervous tension. You know, it's a lot easier on a black and white piece of paper with a number to -- most people don't serve a ton better under pressure.
So if you're digging yourself a hole, Love-15, Love-30, it's a totally different ballgame. That can't be explained numbers, I don't think.

Q. Talk about your next match tomorrow against Djokovic. I think you're up in career head-to-heads. He's got some physical issues, respiratory, that might affect the match.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, we'll see. That's probably not -- I don't -- no disrespect, but I don't think I'm too concerned about. What I am concerned about is playing a guy who's been top 3 in the world for the past four years or so. That's what I'm concerned with.
You know, he brings a lot to the table. He returns great and he's great off the ground and he's pretty solid and he toughs out a lot matches. It didn't get easier from here.

Q. I was thinking though that he'll be about as depleted as you are, so it might be more of an even match.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, I would be guessing.

Q. Third set, Soderling serving at 3-4; he got into a Love-40 hole; he bounced back, got it to deuce, and then he had another breakpoint at that point, so four chances gone by the wayside. Didn't convert. But what was your thought process going into your service game at that point?
ANDY RODDICK: I was disappointed that I didn't get a look at one second serve on those points. I think I put three out of four first serve returns in, you know. In the second set I feel like I didn't put returns in when I could have, in the tiebreaker especially.
There I felt like I played a pretty good game through it all. He hit two aces and the first one he cracked a forehand winner at the first Love-40 point. What you want to do when someone makes a first serve is put the return in play and kind of see how it develops from there.
I did that. So I was disappointed, but it was definitely a better-played game.

Q. So in this the end, such a small difference in the entire match. That third set tiebreak, is it really just luck, or is it you just taking the right points at the right time?
ANDY RODDICK: It is taking the right points at the right time. You know what it is? It's putting yourself in good positions more often. In the second set breaker I played probably two or three loose points. There's your two points to the bad. I missed rally backhand. I don't think I put a first serve return in play.
In the third set breaker I think I played pretty solid. Even the points I lost he was having to - what was it, at 4-5 or something like that we had an decent rally, and he crushed a forehand up the line for a winner.
If he hits that, that's too good. But I played the right kind of point, and I think I did that more consistently in the third set breaker.

Q. Is there anything that you're not happy about with the match tonight that you want to improve on you're your next match?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, there's always stuff that I need to improve on. Probably not gonna advertise it.

Q. Even in general?
ANDY RODDICK: Even in general I'm not gonna advertise it.

Q. Do you have a recommendation on the challenge rule?
ANDY RODDICK: Just put a number on it. I don't care what they do. Let's just put a number on it.

OnyxRose
08-21-2010, 12:58 AM
So happy that Andy is back where he belongs!

partygirl
08-21-2010, 04:03 AM
Ryan! :)

Deboogle!.
08-21-2010, 04:50 AM
:)

Deboogle!.
08-21-2010, 03:32 PM

August 20, 2010

Andy Roddick

CINCINNATI, OHIO

A. RODDICK/N. Djokovic
6-4, 7-5

Q. Was this a little bit easier match than you were expecting? Nothing is probably super easy, but, you know...
ANDY RODDICK: Novak probably didn't play his best today. That's fairly apparent. He's missing balls he normally doesn't miss. So I probably expected him to play a little bit better.

Q. You really made a big improvement on your first serve between the first and second sets. What did you do differently?
ANDY RODDICK: I mean, nothing really. They just started going in. I was missing a lot in the first set in the tape and kind of barely missing, but my second serve got me through the first set.
Then the second set I was able to kind of land a couple more fist serves.

Q. Were you able to catch the end of the Fish match before your match? And what are your impressions of the first all-American final since '04?
ANDY RODDICK: Semis, yeah.

Q. Or semis.
ANDY RODDICK: Oh, I'm excited for a lot of reasons. You know, at the beginning of last week I hadn't played tennis for about six or seven days. Mardy came down, and my first practice was really bad, and so I didn't really see this coming. Maybe for him, but not the way I was hitting the ball.
So it's real nice. Obviously I'm happy for his surge. He's probably my best friend on tour, so I'm really happy to see him playing well. I just hope he doesn't do it tomorrow. (Smiling.)

Q. How hard is it to play a really close friend like that?
ANDY RODDICK: We've done it enough. I think we both understand that once you get in between the lines it's business, and we're trying win a tennis match. When we were younger and probably a little bit -- you know, we probably had a little bit more attitude in our matches. (Laughing.)
You know, we would get a little snippy with each other. But I don't think we have to worry about that anymore. That's something we haven't done in a long time.

Q. Do you have any thoughts on Serena deciding not to play the US Open this year?
ANDY RODDICK: It's the first I've heard it of. I haven't had a chance to talk to her about it. But I do know the US Open is probably her favorite event, so obviously if she's, you know, this far out and is not gonna play, it's got to be something pretty serious.
Which is unfortunate, because there's no doubt about who the top draw card is in New York City as far as the women's side of the draw. So that's a fairly big sized hit for the tournament.

Q. Talk a little bit about your friendship with T.O. are you going to the game tonight? How did you guys meet, that type of thing.
ANDY RODDICK: I think we just met at the ESPYs one year. You know, I think we're both fairly straightforward. And I think either our first conversation could have gone really well, or we could have rubbed each other the extremely wrong way. (Laughing.)
But, no, it was cool. He likes coming out to the tennis, so we've gotten to know each other a little bit more. He came down to Australia this year. You know, it's always entertaining.

Q. What do you do in your free time when you're in Mason, Ohio?
ANDY RODDICK: I haven't had much free time. Actually, I have some in-laws here -- or not in-laws, some aunts and uncles that are here. My trainer, Doug Spreen, is from here, so he took us out to his golf club one day. I don't have much time, but the one day I did have off we went out and played some golf.

Q. How do you feel about your form overall? This is probably the most consistent you've played.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I'm happy. I mean, you know, like I said, I didn't come into this tournament with hardly any expectations. I didn't know if I was gonna play it, to be honest, you know, Thursday, Friday of last week.
So I mean, the doc told me to probably only practice about an hour a day, and I think I've done more than that this week. So it's all good from -- regardless of what happens from here on out, I consider it a big success just because I feel like I have some form going into the US Open regardless.
So this has been a very, very positive week for me this week.

Q. I guess this win gets you back in the top 10 when the next world rankings come out. Is that something you pay any attention to at all?
ANDY RODDICK: (Laughing.) Um, I wish I got to talk about it as much when I am in the top 10 as opposed to when I'm not. It's only a story when I'm not.
I don't care at all, frankly. For me, it hasn't been about -- I mean, I missed the last four months of last year when my knee was all blown up, and then this year's been a little dicey.
I've had probably four or five good months to put on the board as far as ranking, so it's not really surprising that I dropped out. When I have been on the court, my record speaks for itself. It's 30 some odd wins and 7 losses or something like that.
It's not something I'm too concerned with? You know, if I felt like I was playing well and not getting wins, then that would different story. I know if I do the right things, prepare and find form, then I'm still relevant.

Q. Your streak at the end of the year, being in the top 10, do you look that at all? I know during the year there's obviously reasons.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, yes, because I want to play well towards the end of the year. I'm not concerned so much with the streak. I'm more concerned with confidence level entering a tournament to win a tennis tournament, giving myself a shot. I like feeling like one of the top guys. I don't like kind of the in between that I've been feeling this summer a little bit.
But as far as -- it's nice, because it shows consistency over a year, but it's definitely not something that I'm obsessed with.

Q. What is the key to tomorrow's match?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, there's gonna be no surprises. I mean, I think we probably know each other better than we might know ourselves, especially our playing styles. We talk about tennis all the time, our games; we're practicing, and we give each other little tips of what to look for, what we're doing differently.
I mean, there aren't a whole a lot the secrets out there. It's just gonna be matter of who executes better and who's able to do the right things.

Jade Fox
08-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Well this sucks. :(

tsurupettan
08-21-2010, 10:23 PM
while it's nice that he's back in the top 10, i don't like this serving out for the match and end up dumping the game thing that's shown up in this tourney. sure, it's only been twice, but idk, that's two times too much for andy. and i don't like that it's probably gonna stay with him, especially this one with fish where he did end up eventually losing (and so bad in the third).

Deboogle!.
08-21-2010, 10:27 PM
if I had to guess, he knew in the back of his head he couldn't win (physically) in 3 sets and put too much pressure on himself to finish in 2, and then he didn't, so he just completely fell apart both physically and mentally. Just a guess. But it's hard to see him doing much better than round 3 or 4 at the USO all things considered.

tsurupettan
08-21-2010, 10:39 PM
yeah, i wouldn't doubt it if it's something like that. i guess i'm just kinda offput by it because i can see this kinda stuff weighing him down in his mind in the future and he doesn't need something else to think about, and considering he doesn't break a whole lot to begin with and usually we can depend on him holding his own service games... idk. :scratch: i'm not used to seeing him so shaky mentally when it comes to closing out a match on his own terms.

but then again, i guess his serve hasn't been as good as we've known it to be in the past. and we all know how much andy depends on his serve to help him out.

Deboogle!.
08-21-2010, 10:43 PM
yeah it is disconcerting for sure. But in this particular case I have to believe that it's because he doesn't trust his stamina if he doesn't close it out (esp. in 2 sets). The long matches early in the tourney obviously hut him and he knew yesterday and today in the heat of the day that he couldn't really go 3. novak was so bad that he obliged right back, and remember he almost blew it yesterday the second time around. Today obviously Mardy wasn't as bad as Novak and could capitalize on it. but I can't possibly believe that andy has suddenly turned into that big of a mental midget. Maybe i'm just fishing for explanations :lol:

tsurupettan
08-21-2010, 10:51 PM
haha, i hope so, too! your explanation does sound plausible, though, especially since he is coming off his "mild, mild case" of mono. or maybe i'm trying to rationalize this myself. :lol: i don't want to even imagine this carrying on further than cincy.

Deboogle!.
08-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't think there's any way he'll suddenly be 100% physically in a week and a half. Better, sure, but probably not 100%. Even if it's a mild case, it's my understanding that it still takes some time for its effects to completely go away, but I am no doctor!:lol: hopefully he won't do anything stupid. My guess is if this tournament wasn't one he loves so much he wouldn't even have played in the first place. I guess the fact that he got a bunch of wins, a couple against top 5 players no less, should be icing on the cake. Hopefully in his own mind he can chalk the bullshittery up to the mono, even if it's not the case. whatever will make him ok mentally is all that matters :lol:

tsurupettan
08-21-2010, 11:00 PM
:lol: mte, mte! in this case i wouldn't mind if he bullshits himself some if it helps him get to a better mental place (as long as it doesn't become a crutch, i'm good).

Jade Fox
08-22-2010, 12:58 AM
I don't think there's any way he'll suddenly be 100% physically in a week and a half. Better, sure, but probably not 100%. Even if it's a mild case, it's my understanding that it still takes some time for its effects to completely go away, but I am no doctor!:lol: hopefully he won't do anything stupid. My guess is if this tournament wasn't one he loves so much he wouldn't even have played in the first place. I guess the fact that he got a bunch of wins, a couple against top 5 players no less, should be icing on the cake. Hopefully in his own mind he can chalk the bullshittery up to the mono, even if it's not the case. whatever will make him ok mentally is all that matters :lol:

Even a mild case of mono can take a long time to recover from. It can really wipe a person out even if they don't look tired.

The positives? Back in top ten, got some match play for the US Open and didn't obtain any injuries.

Now he needs to rest up some more and prepare for the US Open.

Deboogle!.
08-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Yep pretty much. and of course andy won't say he was exhausted ,especially not after losign to mardy.

Deboogle!.
08-22-2010, 04:28 PM

August 21, 2010

Andy Roddick

CINCINNATI, OHIO

M. FISH/A. Roddick
4-6, 7-6, 6-1

Q. How much did the second rain delay affect you?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, the first one really helped; the second one obviously didn't. That's the thing with rain delays. The momentum can shift really fast.
I benefited from it the first time for sure. He came out and served kind of a sluggish game right away, and I kind of matched that. And then once he got back into it, he completely outplayed me in the third set. He was swinging from the hips. Even the breaker, I didn't play a bad breaker. I made first serves and he played well.
A lot of it comes down to one of the most important points was the ball I missed, the first point of the game where I was serving it out. You know, it was a short ball. I kind of think I hit it -- because he had been hitting his passes pretty well, I think I overhit it. I make him play there, it might be a different story.

Q. Did you feel uncomfortable approaching the net today?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I mean, I didn't -- you know, this whole week I've kind of been surviving and I've been competing real well. Ball-striking has been okay.
Got exposed a little bit today by a player -- he's probably playing a little bit better right now. He's very confident, and, you know, he has the last five, six weeks to build up on that. You know, he played better than I did at the important moments today.

Q. On your forehand, you had 15 unforced errors. Actually more than your backhand unforced errors, which is kind of surprising. Anything going on specific with the forehand today?
ANDY RODDICK: Just wasn't falling. I was trying to put good swings on the ball, and it was extremely erratic today. I was pretty happy with almost everything else in my game, even the net stuff. He hit a lot of great passing shots. You know, a lot of times I put myself in positions I wanted to, and he came up with the goods.
My forehand was something that I was in complete control of, and donated a little bit. So that's something that I need to work on. But, you know, ten days ago I feel like every shot I had felt that way. Now we're down to one, so it's a good thing.

Q. Not a lot of aces today. Do you attribute that to him knowing your serve a little bit and knowing where you're gonna go?
ANDY RODDICK: Possibly. I don't know. My percentages weren't where I wanted them to be all week. You know, as far as the other thing, he was doing a good job of -- he wasn't really being aggressive on first serves. He was putting ball in play.
I think more so than that was he was hitting the second ball real well from a defensive position and he was neutralizing really well. I think more so than the serve or the return or anything like that, I think he was -- the part of his game that's changed the most is his ability to neutralize off that second ball and really dig in and then get back to even terms.

Q. How do you feel health-wise going into the Open? I know you were suffering from a little bit of mono.
ANDY RODDICK: I feel okay. You know, to be honest, I came here and I had no expectations. For me to get in five really tough matches is more than I could've asked for going into the Open. Honestly, when I came here I was thinking maybe two matches we'll see. I hadn't really put too much time in.
So beyond the disappointment that's gonna linger for the next couple of hours, I think this week has been a complete positive considering how I felt and kind of where I was at 11 or 12 days ago.

Q. You mentioned his first serve wasn't doing anything much, but you only won four points on his first serve all day. What was going on with that?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, you know, a lot of times that's a credit to him. You know, he's mixing it up well and he wasn't real patterned. I didn't do that well against his first serve in Atlanta when we played either, so that's something that I probably I need to look at.
But he's doing a good job controlling that first ball, also.

Q. In terms of your game, what do like about what you're doing into the Open, and what do you need to improve on?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I can improve on a lot. I won a big number of second serve return points this week. If I can get my serving numbers where I want them to be and kind of just maybe tighten up the errors a little bit, I feel like I'll be playing real well.
I feel like I took a lot of good strides this week, but there's just a couple fine details now that I think can turn from playing good to playing really well.

Q. What do you do during the one-hour delay?
ANDY RODDICK: Sat in the locker room.

Q. Was Mardy there with you?
ANDY RODDICK: No. I made him get out.:lol:

Q. Is the fan support you get here consistent with what you get around the U.S. and around the world?
ANDY RODDICK: I think this is up there with the most that I get. The fans are so enthusiastic here about the sport, and really get behind their countrymen. You know, it's a place I've certainly always appreciated playing, and always look forward to coming back, too.

Q. Del Potro pulled out of the Open today. How do you see the field heading into the Open? A really wide open field this year.
ANDY RODDICK: Um, everything is different at a slam. Everything is different. You're gonna have the normal cast of characters as the favorites, and then that next kind of tier of four or five guys -- I think Mardy has played himself into that discussion, and I think with this week I've kind of put myself back in that discussion.
Obviously you've got to favor the guys that have been there and done it before. A slam is a little bit of a different animal. So Del Potro pulling out, I don't think that has much emphasis. It would have been a pretty tall ask for him to come back and his first tournament be a major player. That's something that's built up over time.
So I don't think it's that much different than what we've seen over the last year or so.

Q. On a positive side, you only had four double faults the whole match. That has to make you pretty happy.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, that's...

Q. Timing may not be great.
ANDY RODDICK: I normally keep my double faults pretty low. I've actually double faulted probably a little bit more this week than I normally have.
Bu, again, overall I'm a lot further ahead than I was 10, 11 days ago where I didn't know what the hell was going on with myself. Mentally, when you have that many questions, physically, whenever else, it's kind of a miserable spot to be in.
So to kind of come here and actually be talking about how I let a final slip away is a position I didn't think I would be in. So I'm gonna have to try to have a positive perspective about things, because I'm a lot further ahead than I was this time last week.
I'm disappointed that I let this one get away today. Overall, I feel like it was a very positive week.

tsurupettan
08-22-2010, 04:54 PM
hmm... i do like how he's being positive about what's happened, yet still able to notice some faults and criticize himself. seems like he's in a decent mental place here -- or at least i hope he is.

Deboogle!.
08-22-2010, 05:08 PM
yeah. hope is right :lol: at least it's not like it was a few years ago when he was a hot mess and saying he was fine. maybe he's just more honest about it than he used to be but at least he admitted and knows his FH was crap

Fee
08-22-2010, 08:21 PM
awww, can we have a different thread title? :awww:

I know I'm in the minority, but I saw so many positive things about his week in Cincy. I actually feel really good about his chances in NY compared to how we felt after Washington a few weeks ago. His 'mild, mild, mild case of mono' was hedging, and I think it was worse than he is willing to tell (remember in 2002 how he wouldn't admit that his foot was completely screwed up when he lost to Pete?).

I think he did really well this week. He gutted out wins despite not being 100%, he looked like death after the Soderling match, and he did okay against Mardy. Yeah, he completely fell apart in the weirdest way, but it may be better that he lost yesterday to Mardy and gets an extra day of rest, then have to deal with Federer again. We know those Fed losses get into Andy's head and stay there. He was relaxed enough this morning to play golf with Justin (Justin's twitter) and he's headed to NYC where he has a home to go to. I think he will get the rest and food/fuel he needs and be raring to go for the USO. Fingers crossed he gets a really good draw.

partygirl
08-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Maybe it should just be "Waiting with baited breath..."
Because who knows what could happen at this point.

As you can see i am always fond of the- "dot dot dot":haha:

Heather1229
08-22-2010, 09:35 PM

I know I'm in the minority, but I saw so many positive things about his week in Cincy. I actually feel really good about his chances in NY compared to how we felt after Washington a few weeks ago. His 'mild, mild, mild case of mono' was hedging, and I think it was worse than he is willing to tell (remember in 2002 how he wouldn't admit that his foot was completely screwed up when he lost to Pete?).

I think he did really well this week. He gutted out wins despite not being 100%, he looked like death after the Soderling match, and he did okay against Mardy. Yeah, he completely fell apart in the weirdest way, but it may be better that he lost yesterday to Mardy and gets an extra day of rest, then have to deal with Federer again. We know those Fed losses get into Andy's head and stay there. He was relaxed enough this morning to play golf with Justin (Justin's twitter) and he's headed to NYC where he has a home to go to. I think he will get the rest and food/fuel he needs and be raring to go for the USO. Fingers crossed he gets a really good draw.

I couldn't agree more. His little brain hiccup yesterday was definitely better than having to deal with anything Roger related and he's in a WAY better position now that he has been all summer headed into the Open. We'll have to wait and see how the draw shakes out but if he gets enough rest he should be ready to go.

andymo
08-22-2010, 09:50 PM

Completely agree with you. You make so much sense. Another loss to Fed would not have been good. He had nothing left in the tank in the 3rd set vs Fish.

Winston's Human
08-22-2010, 11:40 PM

I also agree with you.

IMO, there were many positives this week -- including the fact that Andy beat two top 5 players back-to-back. I am not sure when that last happened. Plus, he reversed his downward trend in the rankings.

I just think that Andy ran out of gas during the Mardy match. He probably knew that he could not do a third set which caused him to crap out at the end of the second set.

andymo
08-23-2010, 01:31 AM
I also agree with you.

IMO, there were many positives this week -- including the fact that Andy beat two top 5 players back-to-back. I am not sure when that last happened. Plus, he reversed his downward trend in the rankings.

I just think that Andy ran out of gas during the Mardy match. He probably knew that he could not do a third set which caused him to crap out at the end of the second set.

That's what I think too.....he was really tired. No more gas in the tank.

Fee
08-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Maybe it should just be "Waiting with baited breath..."
Because who knows what could happen at this point.

As you can see i am always fond of the- "dot dot dot":haha:

I love them too! :D I think your suggestion is excellent.

Glad to see that maybe I'm not in the minority and others see some of the same stuff I saw.

Deboogle!.
08-23-2010, 01:46 AM
No one said it was a bad week for him :scratch: In fact, Kate and I were joking last night that he just needs to come into every tournament with no expectations... remember when he won Dubai? Cincy 2006? etc, he had no expectations and was tired or coming off injury and he played his best. I am sure that's why he got through as many matches as he did this week. I still believe that his problems largely stem from the pressure he puts on himself, and when he can convince himself that there are no expectations, he can loosen himself up. I wish he could replicate that week in and week out but easier said than done.

But still, him failing to serve out 2 matches in a row and then losing the way he did is a new epic way of losing. It's just tongue in cheek. i don't think anyone here actually thinks the week was a failure. I do hope the energy he exerted didn't set back his recovery from the mono, though. Best of 5 at the Open will be worse, but luckily he will have the day off in between. He's not gonna be 100% by next week.

Good news is that he has almost nothing left to defend the rest of the year.

arodfanpe666o
08-23-2010, 01:25 PM
You are so right. He puts too much presure on himself.
Let's hope he restores his fitnes and be as close to 100% phisically as he can be for the Open. Because it is one of his last chances to get another Slam.

Verdasco is not going to defend his title in New Heaven. Can Andy be number 8 on next Monday?

Deboogle!.
08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Maybe but it won't matter for the uso seeding since the draw comes out this week...

Kate87
08-25-2010, 02:34 PM
really good article ˇ :worship:

Can Roddick atone for summer slump?
August, 24, 2010
By Ravi Ubha, ESPN.com

Editor's note: Beginning Aug. 16, Ravi Ubha is unveiling the top 10 U.S. Open questions. Check back each weekday until Aug. 27 as we count down to No. 1.

3. How's A-Rod looking?

Andy Roddick has had it good in his career when it comes to health. Well, until 2010.

A shoulder injury affected Roddick in a five-set loss to Marin Cilic -- the now-fading Marin Cilic -- at the Australian Open, and the onset of mono hampered the long-standing U.S. top player at the French Open and Wimbledon. Out went the good work from Indian Wells and Miami.

It's not as if Roddick would have won in Paris or even reached the quarterfinals, but there had to be an ulterior explanation for his unexpected defeat to Yen-Hsun Lu, inspired as he was, in the fourth round at Wimbledon.

Roddick was diagnosed with mono in only mid-August, and he skipped the Rogers Cup in Toronto before being given the all clear to return at the Cincinnati Masters this past week. He didn't know what to expect.

Things couldn't have gone much better.

Roddick downed tricky Ukrainian Sergiy Stakhovsky, edged promising Dutchman Thiemo de Bakker in a typical early-round Roddick match (one break), battled past world No. 5 Robin Soderling and overcame, yet again, No. 3 Novak Djokovic.

In terms of competitiveness, Roddick was back to his best against Soderling in a three-set slugfest on Thursday. Up a set and break, serving with aplomb, a lapse allowed the Swede to force a tiebreaker. Roddick missed a match point. He then squandered numerous opportunities to put Soderling away before a deciding tiebreaker.

But Roddick hung in there mentally -- and physically. The marathon affair lasted nearly three hours. (For all his good qualities, such as not making excuses, Roddick didn't do himself any favors by berating chair umpire Mohamed el-Jennati in the tussle with Soderling.)

The next day, Roddick dispatched Djokovic in straight sets. Djokovic was indeed playing poorly, although Roddick's body didn't let him down following a quick turnaround.

Roddick's confidence must be back, even though he blew a lead to good buddy Mardy Fish in the semifinals. Re-entering the top 10 in the rankings can't hurt, and unlike in 2009, Roddick enters Flushing Meadows with little pressure.

Roddick needs an especially good draw early to have any chance of claiming a second major and his first since the U.S. Open in 2003. In the aftermath of his illness, he can't afford to go four or five sets twice in the opening week. It'll catch up with him.

Just one solid tournament heading into the U.S. Open might not be the best preparation, but the outlook was far worse two weeks ago.

http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/blog/_/name/espntennis/id/5493558/can-roddick-atone-summer-slump

http://www.sheknows.com/graphics/emoticons/pray.gif

arodfanpe666o
08-25-2010, 09:15 PM
I really hope he can get the job done in straights in the first 2-3 rounds. After that who knows...
If he makes the semis it will be good, given the circumstances. He really needs to do well in Slam this year, and that would mean at least semi-final at the Open.

partygirl
08-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Don't even try to guess.:p

Deboogle!.
08-26-2010, 12:28 AM
well then we all better pray to the good draw gods tonight :scared:

OnyxRose
08-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Apparently in Djokovic's quarter, Fed's half.

arodfanpe666o
08-26-2010, 05:09 PM
I think it is good draw - no Roger, Rafa or Murray in the quarters. Obviously he has the confidence against Djokovic, so he is the best option for Andy. And Davydenko is comming back from injury, played well in Cincy, but Andy had a lot of succes against him in the past. Tipsarevic and Monfils are dangerous, but if he is healthy he should beat them on this surface. Really really hope he is phisically fine, because in that case Andy has good chance to do some damage. This is the most important thing.

The second most important - one match at a time.

Deboogle!.
08-26-2010, 05:23 PM
IMO Andy got really lucky here for the most part. he needs to get through his early matches as quickly and economically as possible. It's the best possible draw for him I think. Some tough but not unbeatable matches early on, and the best possible R4/QF opponents he could've asked for all things considered.

He was seeded 9 and drawn to face baghdatis in 2006 also................

Winston's Human
08-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Not a bad draw -- especially in light of the fact if Andy were the #8 seed he would be facing Nalbandian in the third round.

arodfanpe666o
08-26-2010, 05:48 PM
He has not been in semifinals since 2006, it is a long time, and now this is a chance.

Kate87
08-26-2010, 05:57 PM
He was seeded 9 and drawn to face baghdatis in 2006 also................

i'm so proud of you, Debs :D

Deboogle!.
08-26-2010, 06:08 PM
i'm so proud of you, Debs :DI knew you would be :rolls: :spit:

omg i'm like biting my tongue and crying with laughter at work :haha:

partygirl
08-28-2010, 01:29 PM
I'M probabbly being petty but, He can't sit out 1 kids day with Mono?:shrug:

Doubt he would ever but still...
I mean, i know it is not very physically taxing but it is more time you have to be "on" & one more thing you have to do (this slam seems to have the most extra curriculars)
He could be resting every f-ing chance he gets.:shrug: oh never that.

...and the taste of tennis thing the other night.:rolleyes:http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0awl2SLdy35ui/x610.jpg

& a Lacoste signing...
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ahC17q3th0XF/x610.jpg

Whatever Mojo.:cool:

arodfanpe666o
08-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Well, the good thing is that he is in the bottom part of the draw, so he won't play on the first day.

Heather1229
08-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Well I'm going next Saturday so I'm hoping for 3 things: #1 Andy better still be in the tournament #2 hoping his match is one of the ones I get to see #3 tropical storm Earl hopefully won't decide to head to NY.

tsurupettan
08-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I'M probabbly being petty but, He can't sit out 1 kids day with Mono?:shrug:

Doubt he would ever but still...

:lol: if andy skipped out on aakd, that would probably the no. 1 shocker for me in the tourney. forget match upsets, andy didn't participate in kid's day!? sign of the apocalypse approaching.

Fee
08-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Rumor has it that he was not his usual animated self during Taste of Tennis this week. I hope he's not bummed that Brooklyn is stuck in Hawaii working. I know he plays many tournaments all year without her, but I think NYC might be a bit special to them in a way. Or not, who knows.

Anyway, is there any chance the USO is holding him until the Wednesday night match? Has anyone heard any scheduling rumors? That slot usually goes to him or Federer doesn't it?

Deboogle!.
08-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Andy would never skip kids day. too many dining opportunities in one place.

Raina
08-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Andy would never skip kids day. too many dining opportunities in one place.

especially just after recovery from mono! :haha:

BTW he looks great in those 2 pics,
much better than last week!

Deboogle!.
08-28-2010, 05:24 PM
especially just after recovery from mono! :haha:Indeed, he needs all the "nourishment" he can get ;)

Deboogle!.
08-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Look, he was already licking his lips in anticipation in his press conference :sad: then he tried to cover it up and say he's just a little hungry but we know the truth.

tsurupettan
08-28-2010, 07:25 PM
that glutton.

Deboogle!.
08-28-2010, 08:32 PM
STILL :o

(and a few more others)

partygirl
08-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Big boy blue.:hearts:

Deboogle!.
08-28-2010, 11:34 PM
ESPN just said Andy will play monday during the day, and that it's supposed to get really hot and humid :o

partygirl
08-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Mmmhmmm.

Heather1229
08-29-2010, 12:06 AM
It's supposed to be in the mid 90's all week here in the northeast. Summer's last hurrah. Andy will be fine, last night I dreamt he won the whole thing. :)

Deboogle!.
08-29-2010, 03:44 AM
Rumor has it that he was not his usual animated self during Taste of Tennis this week. I hope he's not bummed that Brooklyn is stuck in Hawaii working. I know he plays many tournaments all year without her, but I think NYC might be a bit special to them in a way. Or not, who knows.

Anyway, is there any chance the USO is holding him until the Wednesday night match? Has anyone heard any scheduling rumors? That slot usually goes to him or Federer doesn't it?Well it seems that she has just arrived..

Winston's Human
08-29-2010, 11:32 AM
I think that a Monday afternoon start is good. Andy would then play Wednesday night/Thursday afternoon and Saturday afternoon/night. This should give him plenty of recovery time between matches.

Kate87
08-29-2010, 02:30 PM
kerj :o

Andy Roddick sends injured reporter a note and tennis tickets
Posted: 1:29 AM, August 29, 2010

Has marriage to model Brooklyn Decker softened Andy Roddick? When the tennis star learned a New York magazine reporter traveling from Manhattan to a Lacoste Challenge event at the Macy's Queens Center store to interview him Friday was involved in a fender bender and taken to a hospital, he wrote the reporter a personal note and had his agent arrange box tickets to an upcoming match. Later, Roddick signed photos for fans before driving himself back to Flushing Meadows for the US Open.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/sweet_andy_RwjXJPwQnPaTr16Zp50wCL

Deboogle!.
08-29-2010, 02:33 PM
kerj :o

Andy Roddick sends injured reporter a note and tennis tickets
Posted: 1:29 AM, August 29, 2010

Has marriage to model Brooklyn Decker softened Andy Roddick? When the tennis star learned a New York magazine reporter traveling from Manhattan to a Lacoste Challenge event at the Macy's Queens Center store to interview him Friday was involved in a fender bender and taken to a hospital, he wrote the reporter a personal note and had his agent arrange box tickets to an upcoming match. Later, Roddick signed photos for fans before driving himself back to Flushing Meadows for the US Open.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/sweet_andy_RwjXJPwQnPaTr16Zp50wCLit's just to minimize the bad press from eating all the kids yesterday (see above)

Fee
08-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm actually relieved to hear that she is there, and in time for his Birthday. Is that why he's playing Monday, so that everyone has to sing to him again?

So, its been 24 hours since AA Kids Day... any missing children report or did Andy pay off the parents. That kid that played quick start against Novak looked like a tasty snack, has he been seen recently?

Kate87
08-29-2010, 06:49 PM
it's just to minimize the bad press from eating all the kids yesterday (see above)

i know :sad: i wasn't even surprised when i saw these pics/captions on the uso site :tears:

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp117/Kate107/nvtelen-5.jpg

yeah right... http://www.golfhos.com/forum/Smileys/classic/airquotes.gif entertains http://www.golfhos.com/forum/Smileys/classic/airquotes.gif :rolleyes:

starr_00
08-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Aww at Andy sending a note to the reporter. Such a Kerj, he is.

Total sidenote... but it cracks me the hell up that Brooke was sending tweets about how board she was while on location in Hawaii to film Battleship. Do y'all know who her costars are in that movie? Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights and Vampire Eric from True Blood. Basically the two hottest men on the planet. And she's bored... in Oahu. God bless her, LOL. Can you image Kitsch and Skarsgard by day, and Andy by night? Lucky biz, haha.

tangerine_dream
08-29-2010, 07:26 PM
AAKD gets worse every year. They had like 80 minutes of teenybopper music acts ( :zzz: ) and 10 minutes of pro players. I know it's supposed to be for the kids but come on.

What's worse is that AAKD broke attendance records this year, that was their largest audience yet, so that means we can expect more music marketing to the under-10 crowd and less tennis players in the future. :o

Andy Roddick's mano-a-mono battle
By Greg Logan

When he began feeling sluggish during Wimbledon this summer, Andy Roddick started to question what was going on. He's a workout warrior, so, it didn't make sense that he would be out of shape or have trouble finding the energy to train.

A more thorough checkup revealed that he was battling a case of mononucleosis, and he's spent the past two months trying to get past it. His latest tournament in Cincinnati provided a good indication that he is almost back to 100 percent in time for the U.S. Open.

"I'm close, really close," Roddick said today."If you would have given me five good matches and two top-five wins going into Cincinnati, I would have been ecstatic. I hadn't been playing well. I had been struggling physically. Everything was a little bit of a question mark.

"To be a couple of points away from a final is something I didn't [expect]. I think that week was extremely necessary as far as preparation and confidence coming into this tournament."

Of course, Roddick's 2003 U.S. Open win not only is the only Grand Slam title in his career but also makes him the last American man to win a Grand Slam tournament. His 28th birthday is coming up Monday, so, time might be starting to run out on the prime of his career.

"Birthday or no birthday, you come in to try to win one," Roddick said. "I don't think too much about age, number, whatever. I'll play until I feel like I shouldn't anymore. But you know, the urgency is always there."

partygirl
08-29-2010, 07:27 PM
http://a.yfrog.com/img412/4901/yf0.jpg

Deboogle!.
08-29-2010, 07:50 PM
oh dear god:haha:

andymo
08-29-2010, 09:13 PM

Anyway, is there any chance the USO is holding him until the Wednesday night match? Has anyone heard any scheduling rumors? That slot usually goes to him or Federer doesn't it?

Andy is playing the 3rd match on Monday afternoon, on his birthday.

Viky-cro
08-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Happy B-day Andy, and good luck :D

Kate87
08-30-2010, 12:01 PM
practice pics from yesterday :dance:

OnyxRose
08-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Happy Birthday to Andy! Sending good vibes for today!

tangerine_dream
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Happy birthday to Andy :bdaycake: He's 28 now? Whatta geezer. AARP card's in the mail. :p

http://i33.tinypic.com/mt86q8.gif

Kate87
08-30-2010, 05:35 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Video: Andy Roddick fires serves at his agent's derriere (http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Video-Andy-Roddick-fires-serves-at-his-agent-s-?urn=ten-266060)

arodfanpe666o
08-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Nice and short 1st round win. Like it should be.

Deboogle!.
08-31-2010, 03:00 AM
:yeah: exactly what he needed. Tipsy will be a huge step up.

Jade Fox
08-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Ugh, I'm late with the birthday wishes but I'm glad he won on his birthday.

So a happy belated birthday to the one of the old geezers on tour! ;) :bdaycake:

Deboogle!.
09-01-2010, 04:28 AM
I didn't realize Andy and Tipsarevic haven't played each other since Wimbledon 2 years ago :unsure: I hope Andy is ready.

OnyxRose
09-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah...I'm kind of nervous.

Viky-cro
09-01-2010, 03:37 PM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2010-08-30/201008311283291329453.html

tangerine_dream
09-01-2010, 03:44 PM
No worries. Andy's not losing to Tipsy again.

Fee
09-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Nice of him to throw his racquets into the crowd, he has plenty of time for Babolat to ship him new ones before he plays again I suppose.

Show us you care Andy, play a full fall schedule.

Deboogle!.
09-02-2010, 04:11 AM
i'll eat my shirt if he plays all the tourneys he's entered into

Allez-Alejo
09-02-2010, 04:18 AM
You really have got to wonder if down way deep he really wants it anymore. Like, of course he will be act like he does on court and in practice and put in the work, but when it comes down to it, he refuses to permanently install the right tactics. Lately he has seemed to just brush off losses. Honestly, I think the end may be near. Of course he could go on a few more years and have some good results here and there, but with this attitude and the state of his game, he can't beat anyone on good form.

I mean, I guess it could still be lack of energy, but I can't fully buy that. Maybe he needs to take a while off....if he finds the real passion for a final big run at things then great, but if not, please just hang it up and stop the suffering.

Nishy
09-02-2010, 04:20 AM
Unless he was not physically 100%, he tried his best.
He still has after affect of Mono but I hope it's go away soon.
Take care Andy.

tsurupettan
09-02-2010, 04:21 AM
aww, tipsy was cute when he won. i wonder what andy said to him, he said more words than i figured he would've (i thought andy would've been like "handshakebye").

Deboogle!.
09-02-2010, 04:24 AM
You really have got to wonder if down way deep he really wants it anymore. Like, of course he will be act like he does on court and in practice and put in the work, but when it comes down to it, he refuses to permanently install the right tactics. Lately he has seemed to just brush off losses. Honestly, I think the end may be near. Of course he could go on a few more years and have some good results here and there, but with this attitude and the state of his game, he can't beat anyone on good form.

I mean, I guess it could still be lack of energy, but I can't fully buy that. Maybe he needs to take a while off....if he finds the real passion for a final big run at things then great, but if not, please just hang it up and stop the suffering.maybe... maybe... that's all i can really say. OBVIOUSLY larry is not encouraging him to hit 84% of his shots from behind the baseline. If andy's paying Larry to tell him that, then he's being taken for a fool.

Unless he was not physically 100%, he tried his best.
He still has after affect of Mono but I hope it's go away soon.
Take care Andy.But what doesn't make sense to me is that the way he was playing, it actually requires more energy and more running. he was as passive as 4 years ago before he hired jimmy. If you know you don't have a lot left, you do what Tipsy did, you just start going for it. We know he's capable of doing that, he almost beat cilic at the AO playing that way with a bum shoulder and hell, he beat rafa that way when he was healthy b/c he knew he had to play that way to win. How do you go from a pre-match interview where you say you know how aggressive he can be and then go out there and do not a damn thing to counteract that? I don't understand how he could go out there with such little energy on Ashe, with the draw he had, and the opportunity he had to post a seriously good result when he SERIOUSLY needed one. Tonight cannot be completely put down to the mono, it just can't. He played with a lot more energy in Cincy and said he was feeling better here than cincy. I just don't even know anymore.

tsurupettan
09-02-2010, 04:27 AM
i think what andy obvs. needs to do is change coaches every year. it feels like every time he gets a new coach, that first year they're together, things click relatively well for him, but the subsequent year... :p :p :p

Kate87
09-02-2010, 04:30 AM
and when trying to find a new coach there's always the obvious choice :hearts:

new thread title :yeah:

Deboogle!.
09-02-2010, 04:33 AM
the problem with the whole coaching thing is that we all know damn well that ALL of these coaches - back to Dean and even john and Jimmy and Larry - they're all saying the same things. We know it, because most of them have even said it to the press. So what is it? Andy's just not executing. Is he too stubborn to play aggressively match in and match out? I know it's hard to do all the time but doesn't he realize that that's how he won a slam and got to #1? all he keeps saying is that he's fitter and faster and more complete than back then, and that's true, but he just ignores the fact that he doesn't play aggressively and isn't good enough to win with this kind of game. I just don't get him at all. Why is he spending millions of dollars for years of coaching that it seems he's ignoring?

And the most frustrating thing of all is that he'll just say Tipsy was playing too well and basically just ignore that his shots all sat up for him and that his approaches were shit, etc.

Winston's Human
09-02-2010, 04:34 AM
I don't even know what to say. I had bad feelings about this match ever since Janko beat Oli Rochus. After the first set, Andy seemed to lose focus and drift into his worse habits.

March notwithstanding, I think that Andy's spirit/confidence has never fully recovered from Wimbledon 09 and that, deep in his heart/psyche, he no longer believes that he can win another major.

Deboogle!.
09-02-2010, 04:37 AM
March notwithstanding, I think that Andy's spirit/confidence has never fully recovered from Wimbledon 09 and that, deep in his heart/psyche, he no longer believes that he can win another major.If that's true, and it may well be, then he should really stop now. He's said more than once he's not OK being a top 15-20 player with no chance at these tournaments. So if he doesn't believe he can do it anymore, he needs to hang it up now, enjoy the career he's had and move on to new things (Davis Cup captain, commentary, etc)

So strange to me - I'm 2 months older than Andy yet I feel like my career is just beginning and his is like, ending. it's not like he's old, even though his time is obviously running out. but if he doesn't want it or believe he can do it anymore, then why bother?

Allez-Alejo
09-02-2010, 04:40 AM
Exactly...he will never point to his own faults. Really no one can know but him...I mean I as many of us play tennis and it is tough to play the right way even when I know what I want to do, but that's why I'm not a pro. I don't think it is worth questioning him anymore....he will never say what he REALLY feels or thinks. I just don;t know how he can stand it anymore to keep torturing himself like this when if he plays like he can, he is the 3rd or 4th best player in the world. I don;t think it's still all from Wimbledon 09 or all from mono, but he just seems to be beaten down and not really have the mental toughness that got him through slam matches in the past.

Good luck figuring yourself out, Andy.

Deboogle!.
09-02-2010, 04:43 AM
I think you have a point - as obnoxious as andy is on court sometimes, he is almost never anything short of completely classy in his interviews post-loss, and he always gives credit to his opponents. Now, when he says he could barely keep a ball in play for a lot of 2006, you look back but he never said anything like that at the time. One can only even begin to guess what he's actually thinking. My guess is he had a tantrum of epic proportions in the locker room. none of us think he's actually happy about what happened but it's still frustrating for him to not admit that he was utter shit.

Allez-Alejo
09-02-2010, 04:44 AM
If that's true, and it may well be, then he should really stop now. He's said more than once he's not OK being a top 15-20 player with no chance at these tournaments. So if he doesn't believe he can do it anymore, he needs to hang it up now, enjoy the career he's had and move on to new things (Davis Cup captain, commentary, etc)

So strange to me - I'm 2 months older than Andy yet I feel like my career is just beginning and his is like, ending. it's not like he's old, even though his time is obviously running out. but if he doesn't want it or believe he can do it anymore, then why bother?

That's why I'm saying I can't see him playing hardly at all this fall...maybe one of the masters, but not any more. He really needs to go one way or the other. He has the physical tools to be a top 10 player for a good 3-4 more years, he just seems lost.

Deboogle!.
09-02-2010, 04:47 AM
That's why I'm saying I can't see him playing hardly at all this fall...maybe one of the masters, but not any more. He really needs to go one way or the other. He has the physical tools to be a top 10 player for a good 3-4 more years, he just seems lost.but honestly, think back to 2005. No, think back to the USO in 2004 when he lost that ABSURDITY of a match to PimPim. Besides Dubai, Cincy/USO 06, Wimbledon 09, and Miami this year..............he has been lost almost the whole rest of the time. Seriously, when has he played really really well at any tournaments outside of those? A lot of the others that he was able to do well or win, he just kind of coasted through and managed to win. That's like 5 really good tournaments in more than 6 seasons of tennis. Holy crap. I just blew my own mind and got sad.

Winston's Human
09-02-2010, 04:56 AM
If that's true, and it may well be, then he should really stop now. He's said more than once he's not OK being a top 15-20 player with no chance at these tournaments. So if he doesn't believe he can do it anymore, he needs to hang it up now, enjoy the career he's had and move on to new things (Davis Cup captain, commentary, etc)

I think that people continue because they do not know what else to do or that they think that they can re-capture the magic. It is very hard to accept that your ambitions will not come true.

partygirl
09-02-2010, 05:06 AM
I said years ago the guy has self sabotage of the highest order, some deep guilt, conflict, something.
Any opportunity to sabotage himself, he takes in this particular aspect of his life

It's sad actually because when he doesn't have any chance he battles his heart & mind out.
Sort yourself Andy!:angel:

Nishy
09-02-2010, 05:06 AM
But what doesn't make sense to me is that the way he was playing, it actually requires more energy and more running. he was as passive as 4 years ago before he hired jimmy. If you know you don't have a lot left, you do what Tipsy did, you just start going for it. We know he's capable of doing that, he almost beat cilic at the AO playing that way with a bum shoulder and hell, he beat rafa that way when he was healthy b/c he knew he had to play that way to win. How do you go from a pre-match interview where you say you know how aggressive he can be and then go out there and do not a damn thing to counteract that? I don't understand how he could go out there with such little energy on Ashe, with the draw he had, and the opportunity he had to post a seriously good result when he SERIOUSLY needed one. Tonight cannot be completely put down to the mono, it just can't. He played with a lot more energy in Cincy and said he was feeling better here than cincy. I just don't even know anymore.
I agree it cannot be completely put down to the mono, but I just think it still cause by after affect of Mono tonight. If we have a cold, it takes a little time to completely recover. Sometimes sick makes you lose your confidence. It seems his fatigue is coming randomly which makes him really unsure and lose confidence.I just guess.

Allez-Alejo
09-02-2010, 05:15 AM
Something just seems different than those times years ago, though....like he accepts the losses or something...at least that's how it appears. Of course he will be mad, but he's at a point in his career right now where there is just this feeling of a big fork in the road. He would always seem to come back with at least a fighting spirit after bad losses, especially at slams. Losing early at wimbly and here back to back is really disturbing.

Everyone knows he has the goods to play well again...he did it 5 months ago...he just has to fully want it.

Jade Fox
09-02-2010, 08:21 AM
I don't have anything to say really. I'm just glad I fell asleep and missed most of this disaster. :sad:

Edit: And now he's trending on Twitter. Oh NOW people are interested? Ugh! :(

Viky-cro
09-02-2010, 10:12 AM
aww, tipsy was cute when he won. i wonder what andy said to him, he said more words than i figured he would've (i thought andy would've been like "handshakebye").

He congrat to him, and said that he played well, and that if he loses early in this tournament, he will come and kick his ass :worship:

arodfanpe666o
09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Lost for words. I think maybe he should take the rest of the year off and be ready for the next one. Or retire. The way he is now - this is not him and this is not the player we are all fans of. Obviously he is not phisically and mentally ready to battle on daily basis. And it is painfull to watch.

Seems like everytime he is in crisis he goes 3-4 meters behind the baseline and plays like some clay corter or whatsoever. This is not the style, this is not the player I began to support almost 9 years ago.

Before he had 2 shots, but went for them. Now he has all the shots, but goes for none of them.

He should relly think and change this, because this is not the right way to do things, and he should know it.

tsurupettan
09-02-2010, 10:54 AM
He congrat to him, and said that he played well, and that if he loses early in this tournament, he will come and kick his ass :worship:

what, seriously? that's cute if he did. :lol: no wonder tipsy was in good spirits, then (well, other than the fact he won) -- i had been thinking about what would make him grab onto andy's arm and shake him a little playfully at the end (and andy didn't automatically go tell him to diaf).

Deboogle!.
09-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Before he had 2 shots, but went for them. Now he has all the shots, but goes for none of them.
wow in all the years we've been trying to figure this out that has to be the best summary of the situation.

what, seriously? that's cute if he did. :lol: no wonder tipsy was in good spirits, then (well, other than the fact he won) -- i had been thinking about what would make him grab onto andy's arm and shake him a little playfully at the end (and andy didn't automatically go tell him to diaf).
Andy rarely (if ever?) takes it out on his opponents. He always gives them credit and then takes it out on himself even if he never actually takes responsibility for it with the press. Surprised he would be that friendly since it doesn't seem they're buddies but who knows.

Heather1229
09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I can't believe that I finally get to go to the USO and I won't be able to see him. He acted like a petulant child and he played like crap. I can't imagine Larry is going to stay on, but who on Earth would replace him. I mean Andy's had about every coach possible....

It will be interesting to see what he does now, will he go to Hawaii with Brooklyn, will he retool his game, or will he just keep biding his time...

Deboogle!.
09-02-2010, 01:09 PM
aw man Heather that really sucks :hug: I'm sorry:hug:

tsurupettan
09-02-2010, 01:50 PM
yeah, i was mostly surprised because while andy doesn't take it out on his opponents, he's still usually pretty short and not necessarily cold per sé, but just that "i don't wanna be on this court rn, bye!" kind of thinking that goes on with the losing side most of the time, so i was like "huh?" when andy actually said more than just "congrats" or something to him, then tipsy grabbing onto him (which i guess even if they're not friendly, he was just getting caught up in the moment).

and hahaha, i wouldn't doubt if andy goes on a mini-vacay or something now. doubt it'd be the best action possible, but honestly, if he's not into playing atm, having him train and practice is just gonna be lost on him anyway.

Heather1229
09-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh, thanks Deb! It's okay I have Ashe tickets for the day session on Saturday so I'm sure there will be good matches, it's just a little disappointing but will be fun nonetheless!

blosson
09-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Oh my. It was over so soon. Bum.

gbmkc
09-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Disappointing but expected, which is why Andy should retire. If he can't change his attitude, he is wasting his time. Losing sucks, and wanting to win, but not being able to, probably sucks more. But his way of dealing with it is immature and shameful. If the losing continues, and the wanting to win grows stronger, he could become a really pathetic sight on the courts.

andymo
09-05-2010, 06:48 PM
John McEnroe just said on national TV that there will 3 new Americans in top 10 by the end of the year but that Andy Roddick will not be one of them. What a stupid jerk....of course, he is Fed & Nadal pr. man. He kisses their butts all the time.

Deboogle!.
09-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Sure, it's a bold statement, but considering the form of all four at this particular moment, how can you be so sure he's wrong? Andy does have a lot of point-gaining opportunity this fall but I can't even remember the last time Andy played a full fall schedule. Also the other 3 don't have many points to defend in the fall either, if at all.

Andy's at a crossroads in his career, and I don't see how you can possibly deny that.

Winston's Human
09-06-2010, 08:16 PM
John McEnroe just said on national TV that there will 3 new Americans in top 10 by the end of the year but that Andy Roddick will not be one of them. What a stupid jerk....of course, he is Fed & Nadal pr. man. He kisses their butts all the time.

I bet Johnny Mac isn't saying that after Isner's performance last night or Fish's performance this afternoon.

andymo
09-07-2010, 01:05 AM
I bet Johnny Mac isn't saying that after Isner's performance last night or Fish's performance this afternoon.

lol

Winston's Human
09-08-2010, 03:39 AM
With Querrey's loss today, Andy is the only American man to make the quarterfinals of a slam all year.

Deboogle!.
09-08-2010, 04:03 AM
yeah. bad for US tennis overall but lol at everyone (greg couch, looking at you) who proclaimed the USO this big changing of the guard.

OnyxRose
09-08-2010, 03:03 PM
People are so desperate for an American champion, they don't seem to realize how old Isner, Sam and Mardy are exactly. Andy was starting to win big matches and titles at what, 18 or 19? He won the USO by 21. Harrison is the best prospect long-term but the jury for me is still out on him. Even though I hate, hate, hate that Andy went out, I lmao at the people who threw him over. He still has the best slam result this year.

I don't know if Andy will stay Top 10 by the end of the year or what his future will hold but to suddenly put all three of those guys above him made me slightly offended.

Winston's Human
09-08-2010, 05:28 PM
People are so desperate for an American champion, they don't seem to realize how old Isner, Sam and Mardy are exactly. Andy was starting to win big matches and titles at what, 18 or 19? He won the USO by 21. Harrison is the best prospect long-term but the jury for me is still out on him. Even though I hate, hate, hate that Andy went out, I lmao at the people who threw him over. He still has the best slam result this year.

I don't know if Andy will stay Top 10 by the end of the year or what his future will hold but to suddenly put all three of those guys above him made me slightly offended.

I agree. I do not see why the U.S. commentators cannot promote the other guys without bashing Andy. Even though Andy has been on a downward trend since contracting mono, his year has still been better than his compatriots.

tangerine_dream
09-08-2010, 07:50 PM
:spit: :haha:

andyroddick: extreme home makeover is the best show that has ever been on tv..... ever...... ever....
20 hours ago

andyroddick: picking every nfl straight up against @brooklynddecker for the season... she takes vikes thurs.... i took saints at home.... thoughts?
4 hours ago

HenryMoody: @andyroddick please stop watching tv and go practice or at least watch the Open. #2003

*edit*

Adding headlines and sports pages.

andymo
09-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I agree. I do not see why the U.S. commentators cannot promote the other guys without bashing Andy. Even though Andy has been on a downward trend since contracting mono, his year has still been better than his compatriots.

AGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE