Gaudio and Hewitt qualify for Houston [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gaudio and Hewitt qualify for Houston

jazz_girl
09-12-2004, 02:29 AM
Hewitt, Gaudio Qualify
ITwo-time Tennis Masters Cup champion Lleyton Hewitt and Argentina's Gaston Gaudio have qualified for the Tennis Masters Cup in Houston. By reaching the US Open final, Hewitt sealed a place for his fourth season-ending championships and confirmed Roland Garros winner Gaudio will make his first appearance.
http://www.masters-cup.com/

2Tough4Men
09-12-2004, 02:29 AM
Gaudio qualified the moment he won Paris, didn't he?

Fedex
09-12-2004, 02:38 AM
Yes, he did. Thats the last thing I needed, Potato to qualify. :o I knew it was coming, though.

jazz_girl
09-12-2004, 02:39 AM
Not really, if Johansson had won today, he would have qualified instead of Gaudio I think, or there was a huge chance he would have.

2Tough4Men
09-12-2004, 02:41 AM
Not really, if Johansson had won today, he would have qualified instead of Gaudio I think, or there was a huge chance he would have.

No .... he would've had to win the title to do so. And even then maybe not.

jazz_girl
09-12-2004, 02:43 AM
Yeah, sorry. That's what I meant.

sigmagirl91
09-12-2004, 03:00 AM
This is wonderful for Lleyton and Gaston. I believe that Lleyton has a good chance of winning the Masters this year-provided, of course, that he's not matched up with a hot and in-form Federer before the final.

sigmagirl91
09-12-2004, 03:01 AM
No .... he would've had to win the title to do so. And even then maybe not.

Yeah, I don't think that PimPim would have had enough points to qualify at this point. If he posts consistently good results leading up to the Masters, then he can qualify.

jazz_girl
09-12-2004, 03:01 AM
Only four spots left now. Which players do you think will make it to the list?

sol
09-12-2004, 03:11 AM
Gaudio qualified the moment he won Paris, didn't he?

The qualification is not immediate.

Qualification: The top seven finishers in the ATP Champions Race 2004 will qualify. The eighth place will go to the highest-placed Grand Slam winner who finishes outside the top seven but within the top 20. If no player fits this classification, the eighth place will go to the player finishing eighth in the ATP Champions Race 2004.

Gaston needs to stay in the Top 20, and that the USO’s winner was necessarily in the Top 8 as Hewitt / or with lower ranking than him.

2Tough4Men
09-12-2004, 03:22 AM
"The qualification is not immediate."

But ... the Slam wildcard ... I admit it wasn't set in stone, as a weird winner could've emerged in Britain or the USA, but it was damn near certain he'd be in.

sol
09-12-2004, 03:31 AM
"The qualification is not immediate."

But ... the Slam wildcard ... I admit it wasn't set in stone, as a weird winner could've emerged in Britain or the USA, but it was damn near certain he'd be in.

Tomas Johansson and Albert Costa won a GS in the 2002. Both were outside the top seven but within the top 20, but the ATP only grants 1 slam wildcard. Costa obtained this to have better ranking, and Johansson was as substitute.

Jorge
09-12-2004, 06:56 AM
Very Likely:
Moyŕ
Henman
Agassi
and perhaps... Coria.
But if coria is not yet fully recovered there are like 6 or 7 players more who will fight for the last spot till the very last moment. Among them: Safin, Grosjean, Hrbaty, Robredo, Nalbandián, Massú, Jochansson, did I forget someone else?

2Tough4Men
09-12-2004, 07:02 AM
Tomas Johansson and Albert Costa won a GS in the 2002. Both were outside the top seven but within the top 20, but the ATP only grants 1 slam wildcard. Costa obtained this to have better ranking, and Johansson was as substitute.

What i said.

2Tough4Men
09-12-2004, 07:03 AM
Very Likely:
Moyŕ
Henman
Agassi
and perhaps... Coria.
But if coria is not yet fully recovered there are like 6 or 7 players more who will fight for the last spot till the very last moment. Among them: Safin, Grosjean, Hrbaty, Robredo, Nalbandián, Massú, Jochansson, did I forget someone else?

Agassi won't do it unless he plays the indoor circuit. No sure thang.

Jorge
09-12-2004, 07:17 AM
Agassi won't do it unless he plays the indoor circuit. No sure thang.

Andre has 348 points, right?

considering how good he is playing right now, "If" he wants to be at Houston he's gonna be there without any doubt. Based on what he said during his interview after his match against Roger, he really wants to be at Houston ;)

another players whom will fight for the last spot are: Kiefer, González and Chela, all of them are behind Safin (no. 9) by less than 100 points (one good master series performance and everything might change)

G O
09-12-2004, 08:58 AM
Gaudio? Oh man! What freakin joke!

What did he win..uh..French open, that's it! That's disgusting! Dirt baller makes Houston ha!

Yashirobai
09-12-2004, 08:59 AM

Almost 100% sure:

Carlos Moyá
Tim Henman
Guillermo Coria (he'll make it to the list but he may not play as his injury is gonna take longer)

Very high possibilities:

Andre Agassi

Maybe:

David Nalbandián
Sebastien Grosjean

And forget Marat Safin :rolleyes:

Yashirobai
09-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Gaudio? Oh man! What freakin joke!

What did he win..uh..French open, that's it! That's disgusting! Dirt baller makes Houston ha!

Habla por sí mismo... Not a lot I can add to this :rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
09-12-2004, 09:56 AM
anyone over 450pts is guaranteed

its gonna be alot lower this yr cos Federer has won nearly everything.

Moya, Henman are 100% in for sure
Coria i dont think he'll come back just to play TMC after months off)

wonder how much more Andre will play this yr esp has he will have to travel to Europe :o

jazz_girl
09-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I agree, Andre will have to play the last two masters of the year and will have to do a really good job there. Let's see how that goes, cause he's not too many points ahead of the rest, and I'm sure they will play more tournaments than Andre...

*Ljubica*
09-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Congrats Gaston - you deserve it :worship: And although not a fan of Hewitt I admire the way he has fought back to the top this year after a poor 2003. Must say, the thought of a feisty Lleyton taking on the ghastly Jim McIngvale does make me smile somewhat :)

jazz_girl
09-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Congrats Gaston - you deserve it :worship: And although not a fan of Hewitt I admire the way he has fought back to the top this year after a poor 2003. Must say, the thought of a feisty Lleyton taking on the ghastly Jim McIngvale does make me smile somewhat :)
LOL!!! And I'll be cheering for him!!!

Billabong
09-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Good job guys:yeah:!

FryslanBoppe
09-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Looks like Andre is going to have play tournaments now if he wants to qualify for TMC.

Well done Gaston and Hewitt, I wonder if Hewitt will tolerate the crap from big Jim, though to be fair, we won't be seeing much of his mug on the TV after this year, so I am happy for that.

RogiFan88
09-12-2004, 02:43 PM
I'm surprised about AA having to play indoor to qualify...

Happy for Gaston tho -- can't wait to see HIM!!!

Hope Moya does make it -- we need at least 1 Spaniard there.

Henman, most likely will make it.

Coria? Well, I don't think he's coming back until next year.

Who else???

will be a tight race for the final spots again... exciting!

FryslanBoppe
09-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Come to think of it Gaudio there and Coria not, will piss off the Coria fans so much.

Moya has made it and I think Henman has as well.

Safin is a contender, Nalbandian if he doesn't get injured and he doesn't have many points is a possibility of qualifying.

TheBoiledEgg
09-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Carlos is on 499 already
last two yrs he's made it with less pts

Experimentee
09-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Go Gaston! Hope you do well in the Masters Cup! Go Hrbaty, make a charge at the end of the season and qualify! :bounce:

FryslanBoppe
09-12-2004, 03:27 PM
If Gaston won a match, I would be happy.

*Ljubica*
09-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Come to think of it Gaudio there and Coria not, will piss off the Coria fans so much.

Moya has made it and I think Henman has as well.

Safin is a contender, Nalbandian if he doesn't get injured and he doesn't have many points is a possibility of qualifying.

David has no points to defend between now and the end of the year apart from the Basel final, - it will be very hard for him to get to Houston in my opinion as his confidence is very low after so much injury time out :sad:

FryslanBoppe
09-12-2004, 03:35 PM
David has no points to defend between now and the end of the year apart from the Basel final, - it will be very hard for him to get to Houston in my opinion as his confidence is very low after so much injury time out :sad:

I said he is a possibility though it doesn't mean he will though. Then again a few ugly victories and possibly winning a tournament, might help him, though the plan really should be for a strong 2005.

Experimentee
09-12-2004, 03:46 PM
I hope Andre plays the last tournaments of the season so he can make it! It would great for him to make possibly his last Masters Cup.

alfonsojose
09-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Andre has no points to defend. I would love to see him playing indoors again. Did he play on Asia tournamnets in 2001 or 2002?

AtPGiRL
09-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Very Likely:
Moyŕ
Henman
Agassi
and perhaps... Coria.

you're right. Coria may not be able to go even if he does qualify. Agassi most likely won't play any of the European tourneys unless he decides he wants to get to Houston. Safin.. well you never know with him. Nalbandian is still injured. I don't see Hrbatyu or Massu doing much on the indoor hardcourts. Out of all of them I think Robredo has the best chance as long as he continues to play well the rest of the year.. he could also go as the #9 alternate.

rassklovn
09-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Robredo will not make Houston.

Safin will more than likely be there.