Henman vs Federer on the BBC? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Henman vs Federer on the BBC?

Horatio Caine
09-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Hey guys!

Is this match going out on the BBC tonight? I think i speak for most of the people in the UK (without Sky, Eurosport and all the extra channels) in wishing to be able to view such a classic match-up!

Btw - did anyone know (or care) that if Hewitt fails to reach the final or Henman beats him in the final (dream on!) then Henman is the new Entry number 3? You learn something everyday kids! :tape:

TheBoiledEgg
09-11-2004, 04:43 PM
no chance for that to be on BBC.

its on BBC Radio if thats any help :o
but u'll need DAB Digital Radio ;)

Radio 5 LIVE sports extra.

EDIT: its actually on the normal Radio 5 LIVE
909/693 MW.
it will probably be more exciting on the radio, it always is.
at least they got proper commentators instead of amatuers on US Open Radio :rolleyes:

Goenitz_196
09-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Nope, checked the TV listings and no tennis on BBC. The BBC specially shows Henman matches of some sort whenever he's got far in a Grand Slam tournament (say QF and onwards), like the French Open and the Australian Open. Maybe it's because the Tim vs Federer match is scheduled to start in the US where the time over here in the UK would be 8pm, which is prime time. So absolutely no chance. Unless rain delays it over there and re-schedules to start at a time where our UK time would be midnight or after.

PinkFeatherBoa
09-11-2004, 05:18 PM
I just thought I'd comment on why it can't possibly be shown {as Boiled Egg didnt mention why}, just to clarify.The reason for absolutely no chance of coverage on the BBC is because the latest deal for the rights to show the US Open in the UK made iin 2001 means Sky has a monopoly on it for the years 2001-2004 inclusive. I'm not sure if this will be the case after this year.
I only have Eurosport, so I have to listen to it on the radio. :(

Ballbuster
09-11-2004, 05:20 PM
welcome back Jez! :waves:

Horatio Caine
09-11-2004, 05:51 PM
welcome back Jez! :waves:

Cheers mate. Nice to see you (and everyone), to see you nice!

Cheers for the replies - i will listen to the match!

Goenitz_196
09-11-2004, 06:09 PM
I'd rather watch and listen to it on TV though. Does anyone else in the UK prefer it.....?

*Ljubica*
09-11-2004, 06:21 PM
I'd rather watch and listen to it on TV though. Does anyone else in the UK prefer it.....?

More often than not I like to watch with the sound on "mute" so I don't have to listen to the rubbish the commentators come out with :) I actually prefer the Sky interractive option of watching the match with crowd noise and Umpires still audible, but no commentary at all but unfortunately we're not "interractive" today - only one court available.