Davenport, Roddick, Agassi out : USTA guys, what are u doing? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davenport, Roddick, Agassi out : USTA guys, what are u doing?

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 08:05 PM
I would like to see their faces right now :tape:

SanTaureau Fan
09-10-2004, 08:05 PM
I'm sure they are thrilled by a Kuznetsova vs Dementieva final. :tape:

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Capriati lost the first set 0-6 :eek: :tape:

lucashg
09-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Capriati lost the first set 0-6 :eek: :tape:

LOL :devil:

Dementieva, :worship:

BaselineSmash
09-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Davenport should have played a little less in the run-up to the US Open, taking into account how injury prone she has been in the past few years.

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 08:11 PM
I agree.

Lee
09-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Davenport should have played a little less in the run-up to the US Open, taking into account how injury prone she has been in the past few years.

She withdrew from a tournament before USO so I don't think she played too much.

She didn't injure herself in a match, it's during practise :sad:

Lee
09-10-2004, 08:17 PM
And back to topic.

I'm sure USTA and CBS will be ecstatic of Dementieva vs Kutnernova and Henman vs Johansson final ;) ;)

WF4EVER
09-10-2004, 08:20 PM
They're not shitting their pants yet. Right now they're on their knees in a prayer session hoping Capriati can pull out a win here.

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 08:25 PM
If Capriati wins, the stories about her comeback, the drugs, the Dad, Bla ,bla , bla, she's a fighter :zzz:

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 08:26 PM
I mean, i like her but The U.S. Press is too predictable.

Aleksa's Laydee
09-10-2004, 08:27 PM
ooooh Lindz...i'll have another cry here :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Capriati leads 3*-2 in the second. She just broke Lena's serve

lucashg
09-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Capriati 5-2, serving for set. What the hell happened? Is it the wind (which obviously ruins Dementieva's game) or is it Capriati's "came back after a set loss" blablabla. Hm, well. If Capriati dominates Dementieva's game, she'll win. Meh.

Why did Lindsay injure herself? -________-' Hopefully Kuznetsova will beat whoever pass this semis.

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 09:00 PM
I jinxed Lena. I wanted her to win to see USTA on the floor :sad:

Lee
09-10-2004, 09:01 PM
I jinxed Lena. I wanted her to win to see USTA on the floor :sad:

Should we start cheering for JCap? ;)

Fergie
09-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Poor Lindsay :sad:

Demi is still fighting ... Go girl :bigclap:

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 09:09 PM
JCap , JCap :yeah: That LenaD is a bitch :boxing: ;)

Lee
09-10-2004, 09:15 PM
JCap , JCap :yeah: That LenaD is a bitch :boxing: ;)

Good job, alfonso!!! LenaD finally hold serve ;)

Go Jen!!!

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 09:26 PM
C'mon JCap. Save the USTA. Hold serve :angel: ;) :devil:

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 09:28 PM
WTF. Who's gonna hold serve in this particular set? They're both serving like shit.

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Now break that LenaD bitch, please JCap ;)

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 09:31 PM
It's deuce on Elena's serve. She sure has a shitty service motion.

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Ad JCap.

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Dementieva is the reason for me keep laying tennis. If a pro serves like that, why not me :shrug: :haha:

alfonsojose
Break Point. Come on, JCap ;)

alfonsojose
:awww:, LenaD saved it :mad: ;) Go for another, Jen :kiss:

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 09:33 PM
59 m.p.h. :eek: LenaD :o

Lee
09-10-2004, 09:34 PM
:awww:, LenaD saved it :mad: ;) Go for another, Jen :kiss:

Big help from Jen though :p

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Oh, geez, we're doing good to see any one of them hold serve. Hell, Jen can't break, and LenaD can't hold. What the hell....

Lee
09-10-2004, 09:35 PM
59 m.p.h. :eek: LenaD :o

I believe the slowest is 57mph :worship:

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 09:41 PM
That service motion leaves much to be desired.

AtPGiRL
09-10-2004, 09:57 PM
:woohoo: No American men! :worship:

Lee
09-10-2004, 10:04 PM
All Russians women singles final.

undomiele
09-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Jennifer Capriati = Queen of the Chokers :rolleyes:

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Capriati = Queen of the Chokers

Poor, poor thing....

pinky
09-10-2004, 10:06 PM
That service motion leaves much to be desired.

It is all in the ball throw, she nearly always throw it too far to the right...

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 10:07 PM
It is all in the ball throw, she nearly always throw it too far to the right...

I noticed that-almost like she's trying to favor that side for some reason. Didn't she hurt her shoulder at one time?

BaselineSmash
I believe the slowest is 57mph :worship:

Indeed. For that alone - :worship:.

pinky
Well, i added Elena to my sig. :)

If only she had a better serve she would be ruling the wta!

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Well, i added Elena to my sig. :)

If only she had a better serve she would be ruling the wta!

She just may win the whole thing. She displayed a lot of guts to hold on and win this match, so I expect that she will win tomorrow.

undomiele
09-10-2004, 10:10 PM
ha ha. Worst case scenario for the TV Network kings! :p Serves em right!!!

WF4EVER
09-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Somebody call the clean-up guy! There's shit all over the USTA now!

It doesn't matter what final they get; they are still fucked. Did you notice how Dick Enberg announced the men's semis tomorrow and mentioned all the players except the No. 1 player in the world, Roger Federer.

If Federer makes the final and wins it'll sting them more because they do not want him distancing himself any further from SuperRoddick.

undomiele
09-10-2004, 10:13 PM
What the hell happened to her in the first set?????!?!!

Fergie
09-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Congrats Demi :worship:

Crazy_Fool
09-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Congrats Demi :worship:
Yeah pure class :worship:

I was really upset about Davenport though :sad:

Ballbuster
09-10-2004, 10:34 PM
my jinx worked http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=14839&page=1&pp=15

Fergie
09-10-2004, 10:36 PM
I was really upset about Davenport though :sad:
Yeah :bigcry:

I hope Demi wins the final, she deserve it :yeah:

Crazy_Fool
09-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Yeah :bigcry:

I hope Demi wins the final, she deserve it :yeah:
Definately deserves it.

AgassiFan
09-10-2004, 10:41 PM
I'm sure they are thrilled by a Kuznetsova vs Dementieva final. :tape:

Well, this expatriate certainly is! Though to be sure, I almost went into a cardiac arrest while watching some of that ugly, choke-licious tennis. Helps to be 21, I guess.

Also, you just know that, considering how close those matches were, in a parallel universe, Roddick-Agassi and Davenport-Capriati are the final match-ups. Sometimes, it all comes down to luck.

Fergie
09-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Go Demi, you can do it :bigclap:

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 10:54 PM
I noticed that-almost like she's trying to favor that side for some reason. Didn't she hurt her shoulder at one time?

Yes, she did.

LenaD :rolls: :rolls: i jinxed Capriati for u. You owe me a kiss. Rainer won't say anything :smooch:

I love her groundstrokes. They're devasting. The funny thing about her serve is you're expected to break her. And if you're a choker like Capriati or Mauresmo, it works pretty well :tape: Lindsay :bigcry: or the Williamses would have no mercy.

Seriously, Where are Agassi, Sampras, Williamses, Davenport and Capriati followers? (aside from Roddick, of course).

CandyQueen
09-10-2004, 11:06 PM
im a capriati fan......but its mentennisforums so i didnt mention her. I prefer clijsters though. I miss sampras he is the legend in tennis!

Fergie
09-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Seriously, Where are Agassi, Sampras, Williamses, Davenport and Capriati followers? (aside from Roddick, of course).
Maybe they continue crying :p

Lee
09-11-2004, 12:45 AM

According to Tracy Austin, Dementieva hurt her shoulder around AO this year and she had to toss like this and made it a bad habit.

sigmagirl91
09-11-2004, 12:46 AM
It's a weird motion, but I have a feeling that she will end up damaging it further if she keeps favoring it like she does.

Lee
09-11-2004, 12:56 AM
It's a weird motion, but I have a feeling that she will end up damaging it further if she keeps favoring it like she does.

She's not favouring her shoulder now. It's just become such a bad habit. What she needs is to keep practising tossing the ball in the right way.

sigmagirl91
09-11-2004, 01:01 AM
She's not favouring her shoulder now. It's just become such a bad habit. What she needs is to keep practising tossing the ball in the right way.

She may be afraid of re-injury? I don't know; just a guess, but she needs to learn to adjust that ball toss.

AgassiFan
09-11-2004, 01:52 AM

Actually, the side-winding weird motion she currently employs is more "natural" and puts less stress on the joint than the conventional overhead one does. Sure, it's ugly, weak and inaccurate but from the health standpoint, it's no threat. In baseball, pitchers who throw overhead often have career-ending labrum issues.

That said, that serve motion (as well as her idiotic tendency to attempt a slice or a dropshot in a middle of a rally and her nerves) could have easily cost her this match if Capriati wasn't Miss Choketown herself. Her coach Morozova has to rebuild her motion and give her a real service game, otherwise Elena will never reach her potential.

Chloe le Bopper
09-11-2004, 02:16 AM
Apparently her service motion is somewhat normal in practice

darnyelb
09-11-2004, 02:48 AM
Amazing... Elena pulls off another gutsy win, and yet the US Open website still picks Capriati as their Player of the Day.

alfonsojose
09-11-2004, 04:54 AM
Maybe they continue crying :p

:o I used the word "followers" pretty badly. I wanted to talk about the new U.S. tennis players generation. Aside from Roddick, they're doing such a bad job. What is the USTA doing? The Williamses are young but they're already veterans. Capriati, Agassi, Lindsay are old. Fish, Ginepri, Dent :rolleyes: ? and the girls .. Ashley Ack .. :confused: where is she?

BTW : Nice Dementieva talk. Read what Capriati said about Dementieva's serve. It works sometimes ;) (The next time i hit a soft service, i'll say "What's wrong?. It's a Dementieva's, ignorant :cool: ")

Q. Did you consider doing more chipping and charging against her second serve?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I mean, no. I mean, that's not my game, to chip and charge. It's kind of difficult on the forehand, you know, kind of the way she was hitting it, to do that.

Q. What kind of strategies did you go through with returning her second serve? What did you try? What do you felt worked, didn't work?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I mean, I felt like, you know, I mean, sometimes they were so short in the box that I had to be at net, you know, which worked with the wind. But against the wind, I mean, you know, they're coming so slow. You know, if you don't hit it ‑‑ I mean, nothing ‑‑ you weren't able to really time the shots at all out there. So it's hard to even say. I mean, because you're off balance, basically, all the time.

And in those conditions, that kind of serve I guess works pretty well because you can't really hit it. If you don't hit it good enough, she's good off the next shot, so...

Fedex
09-11-2004, 05:29 AM
I know :sad: Her summer just isnt complete without an Open title. I really wanted her to win, and was devestated when I heard she lost. :sad: :bigcry: I hope Elena wins it now. The russians really are taking over, will be a third straight Russian Slam victory.

Fedex
09-11-2004, 05:34 AM
Amazing... Elena pulls off another gutsy win, and yet the US Open website still picks Capriati as their Player of the Day.
That is so :retard: :smash: T'was a great match, though :yeah:

AgassiFan
09-11-2004, 06:03 AM
I hope Elena wins it now..

You better cuz she is 22 and Sveta is 19. The older one deserves it more.

Fedex
09-11-2004, 06:48 AM
Lol, that has nothing to do with it, AgassiFan. Elena was already one of my favourites, so I was already going to cheer for her ;)

*Ljubica*
09-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Lol, that has nothing to do with it, AgassiFan. Elena was already one of my favourites, so I was already going to cheer for her ;)

She's one of my favourite WTA players too, and I really want her to win it - especially after how upset she was in the French Open final. I'm not a big WTA fan, but I was on the edge of my seat through the 3rd set of that match last night. I thought Elena did amazingly well - playing the crowd as well as Jennifer. I wanted her to win so badly, especially with the crowd treating her so badly with all their cheering of double faults etc :devil: At least with no American players on "Super Saturday" perhaps all participating players will be treated fairly by the crowd for once :)

Fergie
09-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Elena was already one of my favourites, so I was already going to cheer for her ;)
Me too :yeah: ... Go Demi, you can do it :bigclap:

Lady
09-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Lena created that kind of serve herself, after the injury.

Now she's practising normal flat serve for the whole year, but still doesn't use it in the matches.

the cat
09-11-2004, 02:14 PM
I don't remember Elena suffering a shoulder injury and I've followed her career since 1998. It's almost unimaginable that Elena's serve keeps getting worse and her game keeps getting better. It doesn't add up. :confused: I want Elena to defeat Svetlana Kuznetsova tonight and win her first grand slam singles title. :) But I have to be realistic and I think Elena will be a little drained after playing and winning that grueling and dramatic third set against Jennifer Capriati yesterday. And not having a day off hurts Elena's chances for making a full recovery for the final. :( And Kuzentsova has a much better serve than Dementieva does and she will win alot more cheap points on her serve than Dementieva does and that will play a big role in this match. I think Kuznetsova will defeat Dementieva 6-2 4-6 6-3 ina topsy turvy match to win the 2004 U.S. Open and her first grand slam singles title.

Blaze
09-11-2004, 02:50 PM
I think every player should have a serve like Elena so that the rest of their game will be developed like hers.
What is really funny is that I don't think she wants to change that serve and in a way I enjoy see her serve because it is really unique.

It is rarely you see people eating her serve alive because she is always prepared for the second shot and she really takes the ball early.

Red~Ruby
09-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Elena did unbelievable!! Congrats to her.
Really after such a fight to win that match Capriati is the player of the day??? ummm hello, I thought usually the winner would be :eek: !

I am so happy now I can relax and it will be an all Russian final. I think Dementieva gained a LOT of Fans after that match, I know my family is now! She really is an amazing player, if she just worked on her serve she definaltely has it in her to be the best in the game! I hope she can do that, what is her coach teaching her, did she forget about the serve?

It was so funny in the tiebreak I was like ok good it is her serve now on match points, then we're like what no for her it is better to be on the other player's serve! LOL. no just kidding, I love her. her serve is adorable.

Shy
09-11-2004, 05:24 PM
BYE BYE AMERICAN PIE
Open's foreign invasion

By Jason Dasey

NEW YORK (espnstar.com)- Andy, Andre, Jennifer and Lindsay all got the weekend off.

America's failure to produce a women's finalist or a men's semi-finalist meant that the last weekend of the U.S. Open became an unintentional showcase for overseas talent.

Two Russians, a Swede, a Swiss, a Brit and an Aussie had to entertain the Flushing Meadows' crowds as the United States marked the third anniversary of the September 11th attacks.

More so than any of the three other Grand Slam tournaments, it's especially conspicuous when not one homebred player makes it to the final weekend.

Not since 1936 has Britain produced a men's champion at Wimbledon. French and Australian players have done well overseas but rarely can they handle the pressure of winning at home.

But American players usually shine at the U.S. Open. The whole tournament seems geared towards giving local stars the best possible chance of success.

American players are raised on hard courts identical to the ones found at Flushing Meadows. The schedules always seem to be kinder if you hold a United States' passport. And those harsh New York crowds won't politely clap the Slovakian qualifier: they want Stars and Stripes success and nothing else.

There was an almost surreal quality after Thursday night's fourth and last men's quarter-final where after defending champion Andy Roddick suffered a shock five-set defeat to Joachim Johannson of Sweden. Within five minutes of the match's end, almost all of the 20,000 fans had rushed out of the Arthur Ashe Stadium.

By the time Johannson slowly walked off the court with his tennis bag, the huge arena was all but empty and a misty, swirling rain had begun to fall, adding to the eerie atmosphere.

It's certainly a disaster for CBS, the American television network which broadcasts the Open's biggest matches to a national audience.

An all-Russian women's final and a men's championship match without Andre or Andy is about as appealing to the average American sports fans as a documentary on sheep shearing in the Faroe Islands. It means that many viewers will simply switch off when the U.S. Open men's final follows the first Sunday games of the NFL season.

Already T.V. viewing figures are down almost 50% since tennis' golden era of the late 1970s and early 1980s when John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert were the stuff all-American dreams were made of.

You can almost guarantee that the 2004 finals will generate some of the worst T.V. ratings ever seen in this country for tennis's fourth and final Slam. Americans are in no way intrigued by the boom of Russian women's players or by the young male guns from Europe.

Which, of course, is a shame because it has nothing to do with the high quality of tennis from some of the world's finest, ahem, non-American players.

Jason Dasey is in New York anchoring the 'live' coverage of the U.S. Open 2004 on STAR Sports, alongside tennis legend Vijay Amritraj and former WTA Tour Player Louise Pleming.

Published: September 11, 2004

back

MisterQ
09-11-2004, 05:28 PM
An all-Russian women's final and a men's championship match without Andre or Andy is about as appealing to the average American sports fans as a documentary on sheep shearing in the Faroe Islands.

:haha:

We need more good sheep footage over here anyway. :lol:

rassklovn
09-11-2004, 05:37 PM
:haha:

We need more good sheep footage over here anyway. :lol:

I am going to do military service soon, and someone in the group will have some sheep love and I can send it to you.

alfonsojose
09-11-2004, 08:46 PM
They should promote the women's final saying .. "One russian looks like your mother in law :scared: The other one looks like Kournikova but serves like your mother in law :tape: "

sigmagirl91
09-11-2004, 08:46 PM
They should promote the women's final saying "One russian looks like your mother in law :scared: The other one looks like Kournikova but serves like your mother in law" :tape:

Oh, that's low....really low.... :o

alfonsojose
09-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Well. It's the USTA. What can u expect if they need ratings? ;)

sigmagirl91
09-11-2004, 08:50 PM
We can expect a replay of that Connors-Krickstein match in a rain delay. In which case, I can just turn the channel to the Food Network.

alfonsojose
09-11-2004, 08:58 PM
my jinx worked http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=14839&page=1&pp=15
Who knows? At least Lindsay reached her peak. Juju is playing badly :p

Richard Cranium
09-11-2004, 08:58 PM
They should promote the women's final saying .. "One russian looks like your mother in law :scared: The other one looks like Kournikova but serves like your mother in law :tape: "

Very droll.

alfonsojose
09-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Jessica Kirkland (USA)[4] reached the girls's singles finals. Go, girl :yeah: There's no pressure. You have to save USTA :scared: :tape: She'll face Michaella Krajicek (NED)[3], half sister of .. :eek: Richard ... Krajicek of course ;)

alfonsojose
09-11-2004, 09:15 PM
And .. Bryan brothers, who are they ... the ones in "White Chicks" ? In boys' doubles finals Brendan Evans (USA)[1]/ Scott Oudsema (USA)[1] def. .Andreas Beck (GER)[5]/Sebastian Rieschick (GER)[5] 4-6 6-1 6-2 (Another choking German doubles team, BTW :rolleyes: )

alfonsojose
09-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Poor Mastercard guys :tape: